Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,194 members, 7,818,636 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 08:26 PM

Why Ikpeazu Remains Abia Gov; As CJN warns against Political Interference - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Ikpeazu Remains Abia Gov; As CJN warns against Political Interference (665 Views)

Anxiety As Ikpeazu Remains COVID-19 Positive Despite Intensive Care / Acting CJN Warns Judges Against Frivolous Political Injunctions / Supreme Court Unable To Deliver PDP Ruling Due To Political Interference (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Ikpeazu Remains Abia Gov; As CJN warns against Political Interference by engineerboat(m): 7:55am On May 13, 2017
The Supreme Court on Friday put a final stop to any legal tussle over the authentic candidate of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) during the Governorship election in Abia State in 2015 as the apex court held that Governor Okezie Ikpeazu was the duly elected governor of the state on the grounds that he was properly nominated by the PDP.

But in a post-judgment comment, the Chief Justice of Nigeria (CJN), Justice Walter Onneghen, noted that there was a “security breach” in the course of preparing the judgment as some politicians were desperately looking for the justice that would be assigned to write the judgment.

Justice Onneghen said the incident would be investigated and those culpable would be sanctioned.

He warned politicians to allow the judiciary to do its job without interference, as he said there were attempts by them to use court officials to get to know Justices of the Supreme Court that would prepare the lead judgment and what the court’s decision would be.

Delivering judgment on Friday in three separate suits filed against Ikpeazu by Samson Ogah and Friday Nwosu, the Supreme Court dismissed the applications on grounds that the suits lacked merit.

In the lead judgment written by a Justice of Supreme Court (JSC), Justice Musa Datijo Mohamed, and read by Justice Ejembi Eko, the apex court held that the appellants failed to prove his allegation that the tax clearance of the governor was forged.

According to the apex court , tax of civil servants are normally deducted from source and being a civil servant at the time, Ikpeazu’s tax was deducted at source, insisting that if there are any irregularities, it is not the governor that should be held responsible.

The court further awarded a cost of N250, 000 in favour of Ikpeazu and the PDP.

The fierce legal battle to unseat Governor Ikpeazu started after the verdict of the Court of Appeal in Abuja which in 2016 set aside the judgment by Justice Okon Abang of the Federal High Court in Abuja which removed Governor Ikpeazu from office.

The appellate court had in a unanimous judgment vacated the June 27, 2016 judgment of Justice Abang and held that the trial judge erred in law and that the judgment occasioned a miscarriage of justice against Ikpeazu.

A Justice of the Court of Appeal (JCA), Justice Helen Ogunwumiju, who delivered the lead judgment of the appellate court, held that Justice Abang “committed a grave violence against one of the pillars of Justice” relating to fair hearing.

Justice Ogunwumiju further held that Abang placed the law on its head when it directed the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) to issue fresh Certificate of Return to Ogah.

Upholding Ikpeazu’s appeal, the Court of Appeal also awarded N100, 000 cost against Ogah and resolved all the five issues raised by the appellant in favour of Ikpeazu.

Justice Abang had in his judgments delivered on June 27, 2016 ordered the removal of Ikpeazu for allegedly disclosing false information in relation to his tax clearance details in his INEC form nominating him as the candidate of the PDP during 2015 governorship election in the state.

Justice Abang had also in the said judgment, directed that the governor’s rival, Ogah, who was the first runner-up in the primary that produced Ikpeazu, should be the candidate of the PDP to take over the reins of government in the state.

The judge also added that Ikpeazu was not qualified to be PDP’s candidate, having disclosed false information to INEC in violation of his party’s Article 14(a) of the PDP Electoral Guidelines and Section 31 of the Electoral Act.

But dissatisfied with the judgment, Ikpeazu approached the Court of Appeal, asking it to set aside Justice Abang’s judgment which removed him from the Abia State Government House.

The Supreme Court had, however, in its judgment delivered on Friday, stopped the dream Ogah and upheld the election
of Governor Ikpeazu.

The apex court also made a far reaching pronouncement on Ikpeazu, saying that he was validly nominated by the PDP to fly the flag of the party in Abia State.

Reacting to the verdict, Governor Ikpeazu said he is dedicating his victory over Uche Ogah at the Supreme Court to the people of Abia State, even as he invited his opponents to join hands with him to reposition the state.

Speaking with newsmen in Government House Umuahia after a church service, on Friday, Ikpeazu said the dedication of the victory to the people was because they stood by him all through the period of litigations.

Ikpeazu, who stated that the victory is a re-affirmation of the mandate given to him by the people, and now twice confirmed by the Supreme Court, thanked God for His mercies upon his life, the church for their fervent prayers and the people of the state for their support messages and sustained support and prayers, stressing that only God will take glory for the victory, and commended the judiciary for standing firm on the side of the constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria.

The state Governor, who regretted that for the past two years, he has been in court with his fellow brothers from Abia, also called on all Abians to join hands with him to ensure accelerated growth and development of the state, stating, “It is a call for the re-dedication to the goals and vision of our government to take Abia to the next level. Victory is for Abians”.

He said: “God has made a name for himself. The time for politics is long over, and I have forgiven all those that were bent on distracting me. Let all well-meaning Abians, including my opponents, come and join us to grow and develop our state without distractions as we ultimately have stakes in the growth and development of our state and people.

“I am inviting all those who battled with me for the governorship seat to sheath their sword and return to the table and work with me in order to build a stronger Abia. If anyone means well for Abia, let him come and plan the development of Abia with me. This is the time for them to come to the table. We do not have the luxury of time any more”.

“Today, there is the work of Abia to do and history will judge us by how much of that work we do, not by how much politics we play. My doors are open to all, my ears are open to hear and my eyes are strong enough to read suggestions on how we can best deliver greater dividends to those who really matter: the great people of Abia State.”

Ikpeazu disclosed that he has no grudges for those who dragged him to court, and urged his supporters to also forgive his opponents and accommodate their faithful.

Meanwhile, following the announcement of the victory of Dr. Okezie Ikpeazu against Samson Ogah at the Supreme Court, Abuja, on Friday, it was jubilation all through Abia State, though minimal in Umuahia and most areas of Aba North and South LGAs.

In Aba South, the road leading to the council headquarters was entirely blocked by the supporters of the governor, while other areas were quiet, even in Aba North LGA.

In Umuahia, the sound of guns shots came from the seat of the Government, the Government House, as security executives used the occasion to express their joy over the victory, while elsewhere in Umuahia metropolis, it was not celebrated as would have been expected.

At the Government House gate, pockets of faithful carrying placards were seen jubilating as the governor zoomed out to attend an official function in Aba after addressing the Government House Press Corps.

Speaking with newsmen, the Deputy Chief of Staff in the office of the Governor, Chief Ukpai Agwu Ukpai, said the victory was through the instrumentality of God, stating that he really expected the victory.

He said before now, arguments of various school of thoughts tilted the victory towards Gov. Okezie Ikpeazu, stating that this was evident in the electoral law that said that if one did not participate in any election, he “cannot for any reason be awarded any position.

“This Ogah in question did not participate in the PDP primary elections. The reason was that after that primary, he refused to inspect the results of that primary election which excluded him from that primary.

“If he had signed that electoral result, that means he did participate. Therefore, he did not come from any platform to contest for the governorship position and one wonders what informs his going to court or is her one of those people that wanted to come from the back door?

Then DCOS, Office of the governor, said that despite the distractions, Ikpeazu has been doing well, expressing happiness that now that the distractions have been dismantled, the governor is going to concentrate and do more works for the states.

He said the governor is for all Abia and has extended his hands of fellowship to the loser, stating “in Abia now, there is no victor, no vanquished. He has extended his olive branch to them to come and help him develop the state.

“From Monday, all we see more actions”, he said and advised Abians to be calm and help Ikpeazu through support and prayers to work for the state.

Also reacting, the Security Adviser to Governor Okezie Ikpeazu, Capt Awa Kalu (rtd) expressed excitement over the victory “for the Governor, the state government and for the people”, stating that it is the day Abians were waiting for so that the state will move forward.

“If you know what has happened, you will realise that the governor must have been a very strong person, and personality to continue handling the state the way he has been moving the state forward in the mist of all these court processes.

“But from now, the best of him will come out and Abians will be better of”, he said, stating that the victory is for all Abians and Nigeria as a whole.

He stated that with the victory, he expects that the dividend of democracy will get right down to the grassroots, stating that what Ikpeazu has done will filter down and that the governor is going to do more “be it road construction, water construction, health, agriculture, security, in fact the five pillars of what he wants to do.

This is the time for him to be fully concretised and for Abians to realise that the governor is not only an intellectual, but somebody who believes in Abia and wants Abians to have the best.

Also reacting, the Methodist Archbishop of Umuahia, His Grace Chibuzo Raphael Opoko expressed happiness that the issue of court actions has finally came to rest, stating that over two years, the state has been bedeviled with
litigations that has made the state not to be stable.

According to him, now that the Supreme Court has laid the issue to rest, it is then will of God as the state cannot have two governors at a time, with one on the seat and the other in Government House.

The Methodist clergy stated that he would expect Gov. Okezie Ikpeazu to “sit down, look at the issues facing the state”, calling on all to pray for the governor “to do what God wants him to do for the state”.

Expressing his happiness, a former Managing Editor of The Daily Times of Nigeria, and a former Chairman of the Niger Delta Development Commission (NDDC), Chief Onyema Ugochukwu, described the judgment as a landmark and a sign of good thing for the state.

Meanwhile, the chairman of the All Progressives Grand Alliance in Abia State, Rev. Austine Ehiemere, has described the victory of Governor Okezie Ikpeazu over Mr. Uche Ogah at the Supreme Court as a ridicule to the Nigerian judiciary.

Speaking in a telephone interview with journalists in Umuahia on Friday, Ehiemere said the judgment by implication will discourage public office holders from paying taxes, adding that justice has been murdered once again in the country.

The APGA chieftain alleged that some Peoples Democratic Party supporters in the state had been celebrating ahead of the judgment, meaning that they were already aware of its outcome.

Also reacting to the judgment, the media aide to Uche Ogah’s campaign organisation, Chief Joshua Ogbonna, said, ”if
the Supreme Court could set aside the judgment of Justice Okon Abang of the Federal High court Abuja, it means the issue of payment of taxes should be revisited and another law enacted.

www.dailytimes.ng/news/ikpeazu-remains-abia-gov-supreme-court

Re: Why Ikpeazu Remains Abia Gov; As CJN warns against Political Interference by Ponponkon: 7:56am On May 13, 2017
UPDATED: Why Supreme Court validated election of Abia governor Ikpeazu, says Abang judgement baseless .
The Supreme Court has upheld the election of Abia state governor, Okezie Ikpeazu - The Supreme court has given reasons why it upheld the decision of the Appeal court The Supreme Court on Friday, May 12, disclosed the case which led to the June 27 decision of the Federal High Court to nullify the election of Abia state governor, Okezie Ikpeazu, for alleged tax evasion is baseless, according to Premium times. Last year, NAIJ.com had reported that Justice Okon Abang had in a ruling described the emergence of Ikpeazu as governor of Abia state under the platform of the PDP as null and void. The application was filled by an Abia state businessman, and member of the Peoples Democratic Party, Samson Ogah. However, the Appeal Court on August 18 reversed that decision for lacking in merit. Meanwhile, a five-member panel of Supreme court justices led by the Chief Justice of Nigeria, Walter Onnoghen, on Friday,, May 11 upheld the August 18 decision of the Appeal Court. “I’m a government employee and it is also common knowledge that tax is deducted at source,” said Mr. Onnoghen. “They give you a tax clearance certificate, you are not the person who produced the tax certificate. If they say bring your tax clearance, I have my file and my pay slip, if you ask I will say this is my pay slip. “If they don’t send it on time I will ask for my tax clearance because I may need it. When they send it to me and there is anything wrong with it, why should I be held responsible? The long and short of it was that this case was a no case.” Earlier, NAIJ.com reported that the Supreme Court had reserved ruling on applications relating to the Abia state governorship tussle for May 12. READ ALSO: 16 Boko Haram terrorists killed during surprise attack on soldiers Governor Okezie Ikpeazu was the winning candidate of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) at the April 11 Abia state governorship election and the April 25 supplementary election. Governor Okezie Ikpeazu, the winning candidate of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) at the April 11 Abia state governorship election and the April 25 However, a businessman, Samson Ogah, had approached the Supreme Court to challenge the August 18, 2016 ruling of the Appeal Court. The appellate court reversed a previous judgement by the Abuja division of the Federal High Court that declared Ogah the candidate of the Peoples Democratic Party for the 2015 governorship election, instead of Okezie Ikpeazu who ran and won the election.
https://www.naij.com/1104366-updated-why-supreme-court-validated-election-abia-governor-ikpeazu-abang-jud.html
Re: Why Ikpeazu Remains Abia Gov; As CJN warns against Political Interference by engineerboat(m): 8:04am On May 13, 2017
Lalasticlala Myd44

What is our Politicians looking for.

But in a post-judgment comment, the Chief Justice of Nigeria (CJN), Justice Walter Onneghen, noted that there was a “security breach” in the course of preparing the judgment as some politicians were desperately looking for the justice that would be assigned to write the judgment.

Justice Onneghen said the incident would be investigated and those culpable would be sanctioned.

He warned politicians to allow the judiciary to do its job without interference, as he said there were attempts by them to use court officials to get to know Justices of the Supreme Court that would prepare the lead judgment and what the court’s decision would be.
Re: Why Ikpeazu Remains Abia Gov; As CJN warns against Political Interference by Benjyville(m): 8:05am On May 13, 2017
Noted!
Re: Why Ikpeazu Remains Abia Gov; As CJN warns against Political Interference by Ponponkon: 8:09am On May 13, 2017
lalasticlala I said it then that Abia minorities are illiterates. They all learnt little English while selling spare parts at ladipo. Ottis first class should be investigated too,he bought it I swear. As for Dee Nwosu we Ngwas have de-SAN him,he be efulaefu. Civil servants tax wey my late granma go fit explain na em these mugus went to court to challenge. Okon Abang dat one be cow dung

1 Like

Re: Why Ikpeazu Remains Abia Gov; As CJN warns against Political Interference by Ponponkon: 1:07pm On May 13, 2017
Seun seun lalasticlala and Mynd44 I take it that you guys don't want Nigerian law students to learn about how Dr Ikpeazu defeated these Abia rogues that wanted to unseat him through the back door.
Re: Why Ikpeazu Remains Abia Gov; As CJN warns against Political Interference by slivertongue: 1:31pm On May 13, 2017
"chairman of the All Progressives Grand Alliance in Abia State, Rev. Austine Ehiemere, has described the victory of Governor Okezie Ikpeazu over Mr. Uche Ogah at the Supreme Court as a ridicule to the Nigerian judiciary"

Absolute nonsense!
Re: Why Ikpeazu Remains Abia Gov; As CJN warns against Political Interference by Ponponkon: 1:49pm On May 13, 2017
slivertongue:
"chairman of the All Progressives Grand Alliance in Abia State, Rev. Austine Ehiemere, has described the victory of Governor Okezie Ikpeazu over Mr. Uche Ogah at the Supreme Court as a ridicule to the Nigerian judiciary"

Absolute nonsense!
That illiterate that led Alex Otto into political grave. That one na person? To eat alone dey hard his family
Re: Why Ikpeazu Remains Abia Gov; As CJN warns against Political Interference by slivertongue: 3:39pm On May 13, 2017
Ponponkon:
That illiterate that led Alex Otto into political grave. That one na person? To eat alone dey hard his family

Ogah only chased the wind. I cant believe he actually thought he could buy the judiciary. What a pity
Re: Why Ikpeazu Remains Abia Gov; As CJN warns against Political Interference by Ponponkon: 5:12pm On May 13, 2017
slivertongue:

Ogah only chased the wind. I cant believe he actually thought he could buy the judiciary. What a pity
He's an illiterate who made money through fraud. fraudsters always believe money and deceit can buy them anything.

(1) (Reply)

NAIJA NEWSPAPERS: Today's Newspaper Headlines [13 May, 2017]. / Nairalander's Thoughts On Recent Happenings / Biafra Day: Confusion Hits Pro-biafra Agitators As MASSOB Backs Out

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.