Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,557 members, 7,812,782 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 07:16 PM

Don't be an Excellent Student, Be an Excellent Person - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Don't be an Excellent Student, Be an Excellent Person (516 Views)

Becoming An Excellent Student / Dare To Be An Excellent Student / Writing An Excellent Essay (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Don't be an Excellent Student, Be an Excellent Person by Hardeysolution(m): 7:08pm On May 13, 2017
But what should I do? I realised basically it's not about the GP. Truly, that's what we've come to show for.... Meanwhile, that's not what we will live on. A third class student may outshine that first class person. *Don't be an excellent student, be an excellent person*

Life is not all about school. It's about education. School kills. School sucks. School destroys a lot.

Criticising school? No I'm not. I'm also a student. Sincerely, school has killed talents. School has killed individuality. We are compelled to learn from the same method when we have different capacities. Some love listening, some prefer seeing. That's why we prefer lectures. What suits us!

I am a student. I was asked, what next after PGG? i was dumbfounded. I don't know. Have master and PhD degrees. Have kids and be happy working for oil companies. Have mine and sorts... Then he asked, is that all? I realised that I haven't realised life after school. What's wrong?

*It's not all about that gp, it's about what you can achieve even with that gp*

I am not saying don't read. I'm not against first class. I desire the best. I don't want to be successful. I want to be excellent. When you are excellent, success chases you pants down. A lot of us are yet to discover. We compare. We admire. We condemn ourselves. But is that worth it?

Schooling differs from Education. Knowing differs from Cramming.

Biblical References

Daniel and Nebuchadnezzar. Nebuchadnezzar was successful, a king. Daniel was excellent!

Joseph and Pharaoh. Pharaoh was successful. Joseph was excellent.

These examples could have made you think that these successful ones brought this excellent ones to the limelight. That may be the case here, but Joseph and Daniel can't be forgotten and will be people's role models. Who will reckon with the successful ones, Nebuchadnezzar and Pharaoh.

Let's look at these ones.

Paul was successful. He left his success to become excellent.

David and Saul. We know that David was excellent and success chased him.

Jesus Christ is an excellent being. Who will not want to be associated with him.

We know who Bill Gates is. An average student that has brought put many on their toes.

I watched a video of Pastor Adeboye in a university in Nigeria. The VC,registrars that regulate the school rules bowed to him. You will ask, what is common to these people? God-factor! That's it. God uplifts, makes a ssce holder a president, makes an illiterate person a reliable and one of the best writer.
It takes God not School.

Excellence supersedes success. Intelligence supersedes brilliance.

Only if many of us can know, then the world of technology will no longer have people of high mediocrity rather, people who have learnt how to bring out something of nothing.

Why would a mechanical engineer call the service of a mechanic? A first class student of elect elect can't remove fuse or cut out. Civil engineers can't build without being supervised by foreigners. Old ones for that matter!

Then, they were not in school to read. They were there to learn. They were there to make impacts. They were there to affect lives.

I will stop here. I want you to realise that your life begins when you graduate from whatever school.

Ask, after higher institution, what next??

Adedamola Odukoya.
University of Lagos.

Lalasticlala,

(1) (Reply)

Jamb 2017 Update For Science Students / Urgent Notice To All Jamb Students, Very Urgent / 2017 Affordable Admission Into College/university In The Philippines Asia

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.