Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,617 members, 7,809,265 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 07:00 AM

16 Years Banking Experience As A Contract Staff (Age Barrier) - Career (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / 16 Years Banking Experience As A Contract Staff (Age Barrier) (31380 Views)

My Dilemma As Contract Staff In A Bank / N85k Bank Contract Staff Job Vs N50k Public School Teaching Job / How Much Does First Bank Pay Her Contract Staff? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 16 Years Banking Experience As A Contract Staff (Age Barrier) by Ralphlauren(m): 9:50pm On May 14, 2017
uzobaby:
TGIF,and all those commission bonuses nko, :can't remember what it's called,tips etc all join..though marketers are at advantage in going further than others. .

Lmao. TGIF = fruits, meat pies. KFC chicken. Are those perks? grin. Anybody that remains in an organisation because of TGIF food is a joker.

Most contract staff do not earn commission.

Tips? The odd 1,000 naira, recharge card here and there are not justifiable reasons for someone with ambition and career goals to remain in a bank as a contract staff for 16 years.

4 Likes

Re: 16 Years Banking Experience As A Contract Staff (Age Barrier) by austinfan4love(m): 9:52pm On May 14, 2017
YewaLand:
Hello All,

Top of the moment to everyone on this platform.

I need to table my plight to every one who's willing to pick up a banking job as a contract staff. This is my experience,
at Age 25, I decided to work with my ND certificate, hence my parent struggled to sponsor my studies, I put in for HND part time, having the hope after my HND program, that I have the better chance to secure a job else where with my current certificate knowing fully fully well that I have 5yrs experience.

I was amazed during my interview sessions with employers that it would be unfair for them to employ me when they have CONTRACT staff with them that have not been converted.

Now, am 41, my experience in interview sessions is terrible, after all questions and interaction, I would be made to know that I have built over the years a good CV even in. a banking sector but the BARRIER is AGE.

With this am frustrated, am like what's happening in our country, is it a crime for some to Age, I mean my experience should be speaking for me and not refraining me from certain opportunities.

The recession now has even worsened all as since 2015 am out of job when Ecobank disengaged there staff of their duties.

it takes the Glory of Almighty for my Living cos I have nothing am doing right now!

So I implore all that may pick interest to banking job as contract workers to think well and not waste their precious and youthful age with this self centred firms.
Thank you,,
YewaLand.
bro my storywould have been like this but I thank God we didn't let it happen,,,after workin in the banking sector for. Four years,,i realized and calculated. From.the people I met on ground how they have been contract staffs for. Donkey years without. Conversion and also the way contract staffs are being treated like. Second class citizen,,i began looking for alternatives before I cross the employment age gap,,thanks 2God. Almighty I got employed with the federal govt,,,i. Still. Rember vividly wht my boss. Said before I left. The banking hall that. Day,,,she was. Like son you are so. Lucky,,till today. As we speak,,the people I met who have been there before my employment for 4years and more. Are still there with the same grade level and. Same. Salary and funny. Enough. It's been four years since I left,,,my candid. Advice to any n.d holder with age on their side is look. For. Better. Opportunities. Rather the banking sector,,,so as to avoid a lot of issues. In the future!!!
Re: 16 Years Banking Experience As A Contract Staff (Age Barrier) by tomdon(m): 9:52pm On May 14, 2017
luminouz:

Wee u shut up? He should be old enough to give birth to u..don't u have any respect?
N ur piece of advice is TRASH..just like U!!! Ode!

Such uncouthness!
Jeez!!!
By their fruits you shall know them

1 Like

Re: 16 Years Banking Experience As A Contract Staff (Age Barrier) by Nobody: 9:52pm On May 14, 2017
Good English or not the ops experience is typical of what bankers face, no job security,labor, imagine giving someone a target of 600million or more,this contract staff slavery in banks needs to be looked into. The few that climb up got there through their bank godfathers. ..banking in Nigeria needs total overhauling

2 Likes

Re: 16 Years Banking Experience As A Contract Staff (Age Barrier) by Seamareggae(m): 9:52pm On May 14, 2017
tomdon:
You need to first learn the difference between am and I'm. At 41 you're still using such shorthand.
The root of your problem is not farfetched oga.

Anyways, those bank management are trying to maximize profit so they have deviced stringent means of sieving through entrants. Sorry to say, my advise is for you to look outside the bank. Look at other sectors. You can still make it. 40 is middle of life but you still have some time to launch afresh. But it's in your best interest to tackle the problem highlighted above.
So am nd I'm is the op problem.. God forgive you...

4 Likes

Re: 16 Years Banking Experience As A Contract Staff (Age Barrier) by Nobody: 9:53pm On May 14, 2017
Rolex67:
Best comment. Can I email you.
Sure.
Re: 16 Years Banking Experience As A Contract Staff (Age Barrier) by alanka(f): 9:54pm On May 14, 2017
tomdon:
You need to first learn the difference between am and I'm. At 41 you're still using such shorthand.

Anyways, those bank management are trying to maximize profit so they have deviced stringent means of sieving through entrants. Sorry to say, my advise is for you to look outside the bank. Look at other sectors. You can still make it. 40 is middle of life but you still have some time to launch afresh. But it's in your best interest to tackle the problem highlighted above.
It may not be long for you too to lose the job you have right now. I advise you to quickly go and learn difference between ADVISE and ADVICE

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: 16 Years Banking Experience As A Contract Staff (Age Barrier) by Nobody: 9:55pm On May 14, 2017
Ralphlauren:

Lmao. TGIF = fruits, meat pies. KFC chicken. Are those perks? grin. Anybody that remains in an organisation because of TGIF food is a joker.

Most contract staff do not earn commission.

Tips? The odd 1,000 naira, recharge card here and there are not justifiable reasons for someone with ambition and career goals to remain in a bank as a contract staff for 16 years.
It is ooo..I heard of one TGIF, that bankers were hustling for catfish grin grin even the chicken they quarrel that they were not given gizzard..looolll

5 Likes

Re: 16 Years Banking Experience As A Contract Staff (Age Barrier) by LoveDocAdeshina(m): 9:56pm On May 14, 2017
Hmmmm it is well. Banks in Naija
Re: 16 Years Banking Experience As A Contract Staff (Age Barrier) by afroxyz: 9:58pm On May 14, 2017
tomdon:

A more serious issue is at hand and you are concerned with grammar? Yet you couldn't proffer any solution. You are the personification of stupidity

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: 16 Years Banking Experience As A Contract Staff (Age Barrier) by epadomo(m): 9:59pm On May 14, 2017
YewaLand:
Hello All,

I need to table my plight to every one who's willing to pick up a banking job as a contract staff. This is my experience,
at Age 25, I decided to work with my ND certificate, hence my parent struggled to sponsor my studies, I put in for HND part time, having the hope after my HND program, that I have the better chance to secure a job else where with my current certificate knowing fully fully well that I have 5yrs experience.

I was amazed during my interview sessions with employers that it would be unfair for them to employ me when they have CONTRACT staff with them that have not been converted.

Now, am 41, my experience in interview sessions is terrible, after all questions and interaction, I would be made to know that I have built over the years a good CV even in. a banking sector but the BARRIER is AGE.

With this am frustrated, am like what's happening in our country, is it a crime for some to Age, I mean my experience should be speaking for me and not refraining me from certain opportunities.

The recession now has even worsened all as since 2015 am out of job when Ecobank disengaged there staff of their duties.

it takes the Glory of Almighty for my Living cos I have nothing am doing right now!

So I implore all that may pick interest to banking job as contract workers to think well and not waste their precious and youthful age with this self centred firms.
Thank you,,
YewaLand.

@op its not yet late u can still catch up with life, need a job to change ur story then contact me 2ru my signature. if u are willing to make it in life. DAT my little kobo to y
Re: 16 Years Banking Experience As A Contract Staff (Age Barrier) by epadomo(m): 9:59pm On May 14, 2017
YewaLand:
Hello All,

Thank you,,
YewaLand.

@op its not yet late u can still catch up with life, need a job to change ur story then contact me 2ru my signature. if u are willing to make it in life. DAT my little kobo to u
Re: 16 Years Banking Experience As A Contract Staff (Age Barrier) by luminouz(m): 10:03pm On May 14, 2017
tomdon:

Such uncouthness!
Jeez!!!
By their fruits you shall know them
Fruit ko....seed ni mr tomtom

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 16 Years Banking Experience As A Contract Staff (Age Barrier) by Nobody: 10:09pm On May 14, 2017
Ralphlauren:

Gbam!!

I won't be surprised if he was a teller or bulk room cashier or customer service rep throughout that 16 years.

The OP clearly lacked ambition or any serious career goals.
Leave them,na their way.
Once it's about bank, everyone will want to chook mouth. They should better pray Buhari doesn't destroy this economy totally.

That unemployment rate is high, is because banks haven't been employing. They only see the bad part _there are contract staff in every sector. It is what it is:contract!

Is banking the worst job in Nigeria?
What about teachers? Doctors that are going on strike everyday?
Nurses dey complain their own. If say I be MD of banks, I will pause recruitment till 2023. They should go to Shell and Agip.grin

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: 16 Years Banking Experience As A Contract Staff (Age Barrier) by fatiaforreal: 10:20pm On May 14, 2017
Nigerians!
We enjoy deceiving ourselves, busy doing nothing.
Why won't pretenders lay emphasis on trivialities? His use of English, CV, letter, HND ,BSc, 2:1 etc. All these are issues because you guys are not really doing anything in that industry, you need very few graduates. Come and see expatriates in the oil and gas industry earning more than your annual salary as monthly salary, with that same ND. That's because they have something in their brains. It's not enough to tell us you have MSc, ACCA etc when in reality you cannot add any meaningful value to an organization. The Asians are teaching us the hard way already. Most of them pay based on what you have to offer the companies and not the certificates you bring. The truth is, we're not really doing anything,so we don't really need knowledgeable people, so, can afford to lay emphasis on trivialities. As an engineer, I see engineers working in banks as using a gun to kill a mosquito.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: 16 Years Banking Experience As A Contract Staff (Age Barrier) by eezeribe(m): 10:20pm On May 14, 2017
tomdon:

Anyways, those bank management are trying to maximize profit so they have devised stringent means of sieving through entrants. Sorry to say, my advice is for you to look outside the bank. Look at other sectors. You can still make it. 40 is middle of life but you still have some time to launch afresh. But it's in your best interest to tackle the problem highlighted above.

Excellent
Re: 16 Years Banking Experience As A Contract Staff (Age Barrier) by eezeribe(m): 10:22pm On May 14, 2017
fatiaforreal:
Nigerians!
We enjoy deceiving ourselves, busy doing nothing.
Why won't pretenders lay emphasis on trivialities? His use of English, CV, letter, HND ,BSc, 2:1 etc. All these are issues because you guys are not really doing anything in that industry, you need very few graduates. Come and see expatriates in the oil and gas industry earning more than your annual salary as monthly salary, with that same ND. That's because they have something in their brains. It's not enough to tell us you have MSc, ACCA etc when in reality you cannot add any meaningful value to an organization. The Asians are teaching us the hard way already. Most of them pay based on what you have to offer the companies and not the certificates you bring. The truth is, we're not really doing anything,so we don't really need knowledgeable people, so, can afford to lay emphasis on trivialities. As an engineer, I see engineers working in banks as using a gun to kill a mosquito.

Nice point,and our Education system is not helping matters.
Re: 16 Years Banking Experience As A Contract Staff (Age Barrier) by eezeribe(m): 10:27pm On May 14, 2017
alanka:
It may not be long for you too to lose the job you have right now. I advise you to quickly go and learn difference between ADVISE and ADVICE

WONDERFUL
Re: 16 Years Banking Experience As A Contract Staff (Age Barrier) by Rooneyboy(m): 10:27pm On May 14, 2017
Ralphlauren:

Exactly @ bolded.

You did the right thing at getting a BSc.

People tend to shy away from the harsh reality that in Nigeria, HND is considered a very inferior educational qualification.

The OP did not develop himself educationally throughout the time he was with the bank. Just imagine if he had acquired at least the ACCA qualification. He would have stood a better chance crossing to another bank as a permanent staff or moving to another sector within financial services (pension companies, fund managers/administrators, insurance companies, audit firm,etc).

There are other sectors within financial services that offer job security with good financial rewards.

I thought you knew it all in english
please correct yourself, there's nothing like "bolded" .

....clown....
Re: 16 Years Banking Experience As A Contract Staff (Age Barrier) by Ralphlauren(m): 10:28pm On May 14, 2017
PaperLace:

Leave them,na their way.
Once it's about bank, everyone will want to chook mouth. They should better pray Buhari doesn't destroy this economy totally.

That unemployment rate is high, is because banks haven't been employing. They only see the bad part _there are contract staff in every sector. It is what it is:contract!

Is banking the worst job in Nigeria?
What about teachers? Doctors that are going on strike everyday?
Nurses dey complain their own . If say I be MD of banks, I will pause recruitment till 2023. They should go to Shell and Agip.grin

grin grin grin

You are right. People are always quick to attack the banks forgetting that they are one of the highest employers of labour in Nigeria.

MRS Petroleum at a point had just about 90 permanent employees in the entire Nigeria( I'm sure the figure has dropped) yet you won't find people condemning the oil and gas sector.

Teaching is actually the worst sector in Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: 16 Years Banking Experience As A Contract Staff (Age Barrier) by Rainmaker69(m): 10:32pm On May 14, 2017
So sad op... find a way to build a service from something you love doing or look for a partnership that your core experience will add value to. Sometimes one just has to move on...
Re: 16 Years Banking Experience As A Contract Staff (Age Barrier) by OLUJOSHINS(m): 10:46pm On May 14, 2017
YewaLand:
Hello All,

for my Living cos I have nothing am doing right now!

Thank you,,
YewaLand.

Gud pm bro.

Please give me the name(s) of some of the agencies that recruit these contract staff for banks.
Re: 16 Years Banking Experience As A Contract Staff (Age Barrier) by tosyne2much(m): 11:20pm On May 14, 2017
Rooneyboy:

I thought you knew it all in english
please correct yourself, there's nothing like "bolded" .

....clown....
Hahaha funny u cheesy
Re: 16 Years Banking Experience As A Contract Staff (Age Barrier) by olumohkz(m): 11:28pm On May 14, 2017
Obviously, you don't know how to talk. Must you embarrass the ppster ? What was your grade in English Language in your O'level that you are correcting people without any show of respect for what they are going through. It is either you are a brat or just at a nuisance. Learn to be empathic. Because you dont know what will befall you in future. Even if you have not experienced job loss in your life show compassion to other who are in that position. The way you started your advised rubbished whatever sense you seemed to have made. However, Dear poster I feel for you. I left banking recently as a core staff and I joined that industry in 2007. Contract staff in Banks receive meagre stipends. I know what you are going through. Please don't give up as God Almighty will open doors of greater opportunities for you[font=Lucida Sans Unicode][/font].
tomdon:
You need to
first learn the difference between am and I'm. At 41 you're still using such shorthand.

Anyways, those bank management are trying to maximize profit so they have devised stringent means of sieving through entrants. Sorry to say, my advice is for you to look outside the bank. Look at other sectors. You can still make it. 40 is middle of life but you still have some time to launch afresh. But it's in your best interest to tackle the problem highlighted above.

2 Likes

Re: 16 Years Banking Experience As A Contract Staff (Age Barrier) by Habeyy(m): 11:32pm On May 14, 2017
Ashmark:
It is not about Banking Industry, it is about the Country. Ask other contract workers in other industry. You will be happy you're in the Banking sector
bro how? Tell me more
Re: 16 Years Banking Experience As A Contract Staff (Age Barrier) by YewaLand: 11:37pm On May 14, 2017
I thank you all for your comments,
we all stand to be corrected as we view this forum as educative, just as we observed in this topic, nobody is perfect except ALMIGHTY
We all are matured people, my little suggestion here is let's not refrain people from saying their resentments which could go a long way speaking for others.
I appreciate you all,

Thank you
YewaLand

3 Likes

Re: 16 Years Banking Experience As A Contract Staff (Age Barrier) by 40ng: 12:06am On May 15, 2017
Great ... ...
Re: 16 Years Banking Experience As A Contract Staff (Age Barrier) by boiz2men(m): 12:11am On May 15, 2017
this is interesting... i consult as a UI consultant to FCMB occasionally, I hope i am safe ni
Re: 16 Years Banking Experience As A Contract Staff (Age Barrier) by doyinbaby(f): 3:07am On May 15, 2017
Adieza:

Why don't you try Agriculture sir. I will be of help, Try Farming, Banking is waste of time. Email me. Greatestanebira@gmail.com
Gbam
Re: 16 Years Banking Experience As A Contract Staff (Age Barrier) by doyinbaby(f): 3:07am On May 15, 2017
Adieza:

Why don't you try Agriculture sir. I will be of help, Try Farming, Banking is waste of time. Email me. Greatestanebira@gmail.com
Gbam.....
Re: 16 Years Banking Experience As A Contract Staff (Age Barrier) by doyinbaby(f): 3:14am On May 15, 2017
Ralphlauren:

A contract staff enjoys little or no perks.

Ego and pride are the main reasons some stay so long in a bank as a contract staff with no ambition or career path.

They want to be seen wearing suit and tie and enjoy the "prestige" that comes with banking.
almost everywhere contract staff are not treated well....where I work they have contract staff yet employ full staff without considering any of the contract staff

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Meet Stella Adele, A Female 2:1 Graduate Who Drives Keke In Lagos / Why I Resigned From My Job After A Month / TV Continental (TVC) Treating Interns Like 'Slaves' - NewTelegraphOnline

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 93
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.