Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,153 members, 7,811,310 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 08:54 AM

Speeding Accounts For 60% Of Road Crashes In Nigeria - FRSC - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Speeding Accounts For 60% Of Road Crashes In Nigeria - FRSC (4777 Views)

Cost Of Road Trip To Ghana / Money-Laden Bullion Van Crashes In Abuja While Speeding / Driving With Hands-free Illegal In Nigeria — FRSC (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Speeding Accounts For 60% Of Road Crashes In Nigeria - FRSC by AutoReportNG: 2:23pm On May 15, 2017
The Corps Marshal and Chief Executive, Federal Road Safety Corps (FRSC), Dr Boboye Oyeyemi, said speeding accounts for 60 per cent of road crashes recorded in the country. Oyeyemi said this on Sunday at a thanksgiving service to mark the 4th United Nations Global Road Safety Week at the Church of Christ in Nations (COCIN) in Gigiriing, Jos, Plateau.

The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that the global event has “Managing Speed” as its theme. Oyeyemi represented by Mr Oludare Fadogba, the Zonal Commanding Officer, Jos zone, said speeding remains the most prevalent cause of road crashes in Nigeria and across the globe. “Speeding is one of the most prevalent causes of road collision and attendant fatalities in Nigeria and even globally.

“The risk of crashes occurring is greater as speeding gets higher. “Statistics shows that speeding and the involvement of commercial vehicles consistently account for about 60 per cent of road traffic crashes in Nigeria.

“This is why the Federal Government has to endorse the implementation of the mandatory installation of the speed limit device on commercial vehicles to curtail accidents, “he said. He called motorists and all road users to key into the speed limit regime with a view to reducing loss of lives and properties from road accidents.

Source:
http://www.autoreportng.com/2017/05/speeding-accounts-for-60-of-road.html

Lalasticlala
Seun
Mynd44
Ishilove
Marpol
Semid4lyfe
Obinoscopy

1 Like

Re: Speeding Accounts For 60% Of Road Crashes In Nigeria - FRSC by AutoReportNG: 2:23pm On May 15, 2017
Re: Speeding Accounts For 60% Of Road Crashes In Nigeria - FRSC by Nobody: 2:25pm On May 15, 2017
How Many Percent for FRSC Marshals running after vehicles? I saw one that killed a lady at MAITAMA undecided undecided undecided undecided
Re: Speeding Accounts For 60% Of Road Crashes In Nigeria - FRSC by Amberon: 2:27pm On May 15, 2017
And the bad roads account for ??

4 Likes

Re: Speeding Accounts For 60% Of Road Crashes In Nigeria - FRSC by RealDannie(m): 2:50pm On May 15, 2017
Wehdone sir!

Re: Speeding Accounts For 60% Of Road Crashes In Nigeria - FRSC by Shamsointegrity(m): 2:50pm On May 15, 2017
Oga ooooo
.wetin we no go hear for Naija .
meanwhile

Re: Speeding Accounts For 60% Of Road Crashes In Nigeria - FRSC by Tinnytony24(m): 2:51pm On May 15, 2017
Hmmm... Are dere even road safety in dis country sef?? undecided
Re: Speeding Accounts For 60% Of Road Crashes In Nigeria - FRSC by aykevictor789(m): 2:51pm On May 15, 2017
OK n
Re: Speeding Accounts For 60% Of Road Crashes In Nigeria - FRSC by soberdrunk(m): 2:51pm On May 15, 2017
No sir!! "Bad roads, 'poorly trained drivers' and 'low quality tyres' accounts for '60%', speeding "20%", 'trailers and heavy duty trucks', "illegal police checkpoints", "fulani herdsmen' accounts for "15%". The remaining "5%" nah 'village people' and other unforseen factors...... angry

3 Likes

Re: Speeding Accounts For 60% Of Road Crashes In Nigeria - FRSC by Justuceleague2: 2:52pm On May 15, 2017
Bad roads in my opinion and stupid checkpoints

Cruising at 190 on a relatively good road is safe if you won't meet potholes or have to dodge them

100 into a corner is safe except when police have mounted their begging and harassing roadblocks around the corner

Rumor has it that police killed Dagrin , he swerved under that truck because police blocked the road and he wasn't expecting see them there

1 out of thousands of other rumors

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Speeding Accounts For 60% Of Road Crashes In Nigeria - FRSC by information1: 2:53pm On May 15, 2017
So 60% of the road accident are caused by speeding ??

What would you say about "peace mass transportation "

BTW CHECK THIS.
https://informationengine./2017/05/07/10-things-to-do-before-clocking-35-years/
Re: Speeding Accounts For 60% Of Road Crashes In Nigeria - FRSC by Royalfurnitures: 2:53pm On May 15, 2017
In my opinion it"s up to 80%

Check out my signature for quality and durable,furniture

1 Like

Re: Speeding Accounts For 60% Of Road Crashes In Nigeria - FRSC by ShankiBets: 2:54pm On May 15, 2017
God help us on the roads
Re: Speeding Accounts For 60% Of Road Crashes In Nigeria - FRSC by fm7070: 2:57pm On May 15, 2017
How many percentage does the death traps on our roads account for?
Re: Speeding Accounts For 60% Of Road Crashes In Nigeria - FRSC by kpaofame: 2:57pm On May 15, 2017
Jeez!!!

Bad Roads is responsible for up to 70% of Accidents joor...

Some roads have pot holes as big as a pond..

Evading Potholes is responsible for more than half of all accidents yearly...

1 Like

Re: Speeding Accounts For 60% Of Road Crashes In Nigeria - FRSC by Earthrealmlord: 2:58pm On May 15, 2017
ok
Re: Speeding Accounts For 60% Of Road Crashes In Nigeria - FRSC by Nobody: 3:02pm On May 15, 2017
Speeding my foot. Can one speed in Lagos traffic? I looked at the dataset used for the traffic analysis that was given to FRSC. So many inconsistencies. If you were from just a little observation speculate what causes accidents mostly in Nigeria, It's either 1. poor education ( many drivers simply dont know how to drive) and 2. little enforcement (people driving without licenses, all these tanker drivers that smoke marijuana,drunk driving, vehicles that are poorly maintained etc).

Some portions of the Autobahn in Germany have no speed limits (i.e you can go as your vehicle can take you) yet they have the least accidents per mile in Germany.

2 Likes

Re: Speeding Accounts For 60% Of Road Crashes In Nigeria - FRSC by Edunwa302(m): 3:03pm On May 15, 2017
Frsc trying so hard to sell this their so called speed limiter.
What about bad roads ?

5 Likes

Re: Speeding Accounts For 60% Of Road Crashes In Nigeria - FRSC by ican2020: 3:04pm On May 15, 2017
Bad roads account for 80% jor

Just a way to sell their stupid speed limiter devise when bad roads are already doing the limiter

Useless road safety thieves

3 Likes

Re: Speeding Accounts For 60% Of Road Crashes In Nigeria - FRSC by Infernoe: 3:04pm On May 15, 2017
grin
Re: Speeding Accounts For 60% Of Road Crashes In Nigeria - FRSC by alphaconde(m): 3:05pm On May 15, 2017
while driving i almost had accident on two occasions first the road was too tiny, second case i veered of the road cus of port hole.
in my own assessment, road conditions accounts for 100% of road accident.

2 Likes

Re: Speeding Accounts For 60% Of Road Crashes In Nigeria - FRSC by Justuceleague2: 3:06pm On May 15, 2017
5 years ago coming from Lagos heading to Ede @2am

Police chased us without siren from somewhere after ibadan

I nearly got to Gbongon before I noticed we were being pursued

We parked, they checked us, we explained the convoy was grad students, our docs intact no contraband, non of us took alcohol, said they thought we were tokunbo
they eventually collected their normal " our fuel money"

Two of 9 cars 3 school busses left behind we were trying to catch others, almost got to gbongan junction speed was 220 didn't know there was a massive crater there, I sped into that pothole

Thankfully I was driving a German vehicle nobody got hurt, minor damage to the car

Two factors attributed to that pothole and police

Two most dangerous enemies of road users

1 Like

Re: Speeding Accounts For 60% Of Road Crashes In Nigeria - FRSC by Enyimbamercedes: 3:15pm On May 15, 2017
So therefore that's the justification for enforcing speed limiters. Let's take care of the 40% first which includes bad roads, unlicensed drivers, poorly maintained vehicles, dangote trucks, fuel tankers, insufficient road marshals on the highways, illegal roadblocks. Tackle these before you enforce speed limiting devices.

1 Like

Re: Speeding Accounts For 60% Of Road Crashes In Nigeria - FRSC by Justuceleague2: 3:18pm On May 15, 2017
And if there was street lights the pothole would be illuminated

But instead of protesting for all these amenities, ediots will be forming he's awa thief
Re: Speeding Accounts For 60% Of Road Crashes In Nigeria - FRSC by nedu2000(m): 3:31pm On May 15, 2017
Another 'account' that comes to mind for FRSC is the ticketing that has really increased their account balance.
Re: Speeding Accounts For 60% Of Road Crashes In Nigeria - FRSC by sarutobie(m): 3:46pm On May 15, 2017
kpaofame:
Jeez!!!

Bad Roads is responsible for up to 70% of Accidents joor...

Some roads have pot holes as big as a pond..

Evading Potholes is responsible for more than half of all accidents yearly...
False, Paul walker died on a road as smooth as a baby's butt...princess Diana died on a well paved and smooth road...they died because of SPEED.
Re: Speeding Accounts For 60% Of Road Crashes In Nigeria - FRSC by abes(m): 3:53pm On May 15, 2017
I still believe this speed limiter is as a result of TSA, no more special account for those corrupt rogues. EFCC should track bank transactions of those "certified installers" I'm 98% sure there'll be transfers to those corrupt rogues called FRSC officers.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Pics From The Accident Scene Where Anambra Security Chief, Kenneth Okonkwo Died / Ghana Airports Versus Nigeria Airports - Pictures / With N3.5b, Nasarawa Plans To Turn Farin Ruwa Waterfalls To Tourism Nest

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.