Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,166,380 members, 7,864,740 topics. Date: Wednesday, 19 June 2024 at 05:20 AM

The Odudua Mask - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / The Odudua Mask (2314 Views)

VIDEO: Native Doctor Rants As He Is Arrested For Not Wearing Face Mask / As Photos Of Ooni Of Ife Wearing Face Mask Surface Online, Yoruba Monarch Speaks / History Of The Benin Queen Represented On Festac Mask (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Odudua Mask by cue64: 10:07am On May 16, 2017
The mask seen here in the image below is an Ododua Mask created by the Benin people. Very similar in construction, this mask can easily be compared to other brass heads from the Benin people such as those that represent an Oba, or king. While other brass heads are for commemoration, this particular mask is used for spiritual purposes. Projections from the top are a dominant symbol of the vital force of a divine associate. The superstructure protruding toward the sky symbolizes the link between the world and the spirit world through which communication with the spirits occurs. Vertical projection identifies its bearer as a personification of the vertical axis. The person who wears the Ododua Mask bridges the gap between human and spirit realms

source;;Paula Ben-Amos and Arnold Rubin.The Art of Power, The Power of Art: Studies in Benin Iconography (University of California).

cc.. lalasticala

Re: The Odudua Mask by YonkijiSappo: 10:09am On May 16, 2017
I thought the Benin people knew him ad Ekaladerhan and not Oduduwa naw.
Why is history now showing all of us that there was nothing like Ekaladerhan, even among the Benins, until only recently.

6 Likes

Re: The Odudua Mask by cue64: 10:18am On May 16, 2017
YonkijiSappo:
I thought the Benin people knew him ad Ekaladerhan and not Oduduwa naw.
he was known as ekaladeran who became oduduwa to the yourubas, buh the benins still respect the name he asked to be called..
Re: The Odudua Mask by YonkijiSappo: 10:20am On May 16, 2017
cue64:
he was known as ekaladeran who became oduduwa to the yourubas, buh the benins still respect the name he asked to be called..

Waawu, what an excuse.
The other name "Izoduwa" being peddled about nko?

2 Likes

Re: The Odudua Mask by cue64: 10:24am On May 16, 2017
YonkijiSappo:

Waawu, what an excuse.
izoduwa happens to be the direct translation of the name oduduwa, in benin language
Re: The Odudua Mask by ODVanguard: 10:24am On May 16, 2017
YonkijiSappo:

Waawu, what an excuse.
Lol. That character of theirs changes like weather. They are not only confused about who he was, but are equally as confused about his name, the spelling, the era in which he lived. I bet you they are not even sure whether he was a man or woman. undecided lipsrsealed

5 Likes

Re: The Odudua Mask by YonkijiSappo: 10:27am On May 16, 2017
cue64:
izoduwa happens to be the direct translation of the name oduduwa, in benin language

So Izoduwa is the actual Benin name but they call him Ododua as written above?

Ok, how about the other one we often hear here.. "Imadoduwa"?

3 Likes

Re: The Odudua Mask by cue64: 10:28am On May 16, 2017
YonkijiSappo:

So Izoduwa is the actual Benin name nut they call him Ododua as written above?

never heard of that n i dont know where you heard that from
Re: The Odudua Mask by cue64: 10:31am On May 16, 2017
ODVanguard:

Lol. That character of theirs changes like weather. They are not only confused about who he was, but are equally as confused about his name, the spelling, the era in which he lived. I bet you they are not even sure whether he was a man or woman. undecided lipsrsealed
funny how u yourobas like to drag argument into every issue that does not favour your history... well am not here to argue with u, so u best believe what ever u wish but as for the benin history, it is well stated to us with facts to back our claims...thanks
Re: The Odudua Mask by YonkijiSappo: 10:37am On May 16, 2017
cue64:
never heard of that n i dont know where you heard that from

Maybe that is because you are still very young in the echelons of Benin revisionism, compared to your old grounded members cheesy
But trust me, we have heard all sort of names and appellations from Benin people, on this very forum, and elsewhere.

3 Likes

Re: The Odudua Mask by ODVanguard: 10:43am On May 16, 2017
cue64:
funny how u yourobas like to drag argument into every issue that does not favour your history... well am not here to argue with u, so u best believe what ever u wish but as for the benin history, it is well stated to us with facts to back our claims...thanks
Lol. Guy, personally I don't bloody care what y'all choose to believe, it's a free world. Yorubas are too big to be dragging history with an inconsequential relevance and attention-seeking small tribe. Nobody can rewrite Yoruba history. Shiorr.

4 Likes

Re: The Odudua Mask by cue64: 10:53am On May 16, 2017
YonkijiSappo:

Maybe that is because you are still very young in the echelons of Benin revisionism, compared to your old grounded members cheesy
But trust me, we have heard all sort of names and appellations from Benin people, on this very forum, and elsewhere.

1st of all yes i'm young but it doesnt mean i haven't learnt enough to know about my history, secondly alot of writers has written about the benin empire from different views in modern days, each can write what they know or what they were told but as a benin i know my i history the way it is and i believe in it, imadoduwa has no meaning in benin quote me anywhere
Re: The Odudua Mask by cue64: 10:55am On May 16, 2017
ODVanguard:

Lol. Guy, personally I don't bloody care what y'all choose to believe, it's a free world. Yorubas are too big to be dragging history with an inconsequential relevance and attention-seeking small tribe. Nobody can rewrite history. Shiorr.
your afonja attitude keep it up...
Re: The Odudua Mask by YonkijiSappo: 10:57am On May 16, 2017
cue64:
1st of all yes i'm young but it doesnt mean i haven't learnt enough to know about my history, secondly alot of writers has written about the benin empire from different views in modern days, each can write what they know or what they were told but as a benin i know my i history the way it is and i believe in it, imadoduwa has no meaning in benin quote me anywhere

You people are shameless concoctionists..lol
They even said he founded Ile Ife, and that it was "Ilefe" which means some nonsense like that... i think they said "I have escaped" or something.
Only God can forgive you people.

3 Likes

Re: The Odudua Mask by ODVanguard: 11:01am On May 16, 2017
YonkijiSappo:

So Izoduwa is the actual Benin name but they call him Ododua as written above?

Lol. You forgot to add that the name also changed to 'Ekalederan' at some point. cheesy

2 Likes

Re: The Odudua Mask by ODVanguard: 11:08am On May 16, 2017
cue64:
your afonja attitude keep it up...
Yinmu. E kere si number. If una like make una rewrite una history a million times, na una sabi. One thing una no fit ever do na to rewrite Yoruba history. Kolewerk.

5 Likes

Re: The Odudua Mask by cue64: 11:12am On May 16, 2017
YonkijiSappo:

You people are shameless concoctionists..lol
They even said he founded Ile Ife, and that it was "Ilefe" which means some nonsense like that... i think they said "I have escaped" or something.
Only God can forgive you people.
funny u atleast we know of some one who born and exiled from his home, and became king some where else,,, unlike some people who actually believed a human fell from the sky,, atleast ours does not defy science nor does it defy religion,,, but bro some one came from the sky grin with chains? even a new born baby knows thats impossible
Re: The Odudua Mask by cue64: 11:19am On May 16, 2017
YonkijiSappo:

lol mumu

No be Sky Ogiso kings come from?
Lol.... by the way, we want our Olokun and Ogun back. undecided
1st of all your afonja nature will always review it self, {always quick to insult} i dont have to insult u to make my point, at no given time or in any record has it been said by the benin that the ogiso's came from the sky....
Re: The Odudua Mask by YonkijiSappo: 11:26am On May 16, 2017
cue64:
1st of all your afonja nature will always review it self, {always quick to insult} i dont have to insult u to make my point, at no given time or in any record has it been said by the benin that the ogiso's came from the sky....

Ogiso Igodo (40 BCE – 16 CE). In 40 BCE, ‘Igodo,’ an ambitious, young, smart, Edionwere, from Idunmwun Ivbioto district, emerged as the Oka’iko. Igodo staged a coup, by abolishing the Ik’edionwere and declaring himself the Ogiso. He set up the Odibo-Ogiso group to help him consolidate his authority. Ogiso means ruler from the sky. By calling himself Ogiso, he was implying direct lineage to Pa Idu, the youngest son of Osanobua from the sky. He named his combined territories or sprawling nation state, Igodomigodo, and set up his capital at Ugbekun. The people of Igodomigodo enthusiastically accepted him as their ruler. They saw him as the reincarnation of Pa Idu and accorded him divine qualities. They transferred to him, all the myths associated with Pa Idu, including the God-son creation myth.
http://www.edofolks.com/html/osahon_ogiso_dynasty.htm

Like I said earlier, you Binis are as confused as hell.

1 Like

Re: The Odudua Mask by 9jakool: 11:26am On May 16, 2017
The person who wears the Ododua Mask bridges the gap between human and spirit realms.
Buhahaha @cue64 What is this? Why are you celebrating a Yoruba hero? Wasn't "oduduwa" a bloody traitor by you guys?

honestly you guys are confusing
Re: The Odudua Mask by cue64: 11:32am On May 16, 2017
9jakool:
The person who wears the Ododua Mask bridges the gap between human and spirit realms.
Buhahaha @cue64 What is this? Why are you celebrating a Yoruba hero? Wasn't "oduduwa" a bloody traitor by you guys?

honestly you guys are confusing
he was never a traitor read to learn he was unjustly exiled from his home..
Re: The Odudua Mask by cue64: 11:40am On May 16, 2017
YonkijiSappo:

http://www.edofolks.com/html/osahon_ogiso_dynasty.htm

Like I said earlier, you Binis are as confused as hell.

aisagbonrioba, which means kings are predestine, in the benin empire we believe the king to be a GOD on earth at such he is of direct lineage to osalobua. he is a descendant of oghodua but it doesn't mean he fell from the sky even jesus christ didnt fall from the sky
Re: The Odudua Mask by Olu317(m): 11:42am On May 16, 2017
cue64:
Why do they call ODU'A, ÈRUJÈJÈ? WHAT WAS ODU'A'S COMPLEXION? CLASSICAL CLOWN GROUPS OF COMPANIES.
Re: The Odudua Mask by YonkijiSappo: 11:43am On May 16, 2017
cue64:
aisagbonrioba, which means kings are predestine, in the benin empire we believe the king to be a GOD on earth at such he is of direct lineage to osalobua. he is a descendant of oghodua but it doesn't mean he fell from the sky even jesus christ didnt fall from the sky

How can you people believe a king is a "god" on earth and direct descendant of Osalobua the high God?
Isn't that an outrageous and stupid myth as well?
By the way, nobody "fell" from the sky in Yoruba mythology.

You Binis suffering from cognitive dissonance and attitudinal incongruity.

2 Likes

Re: The Odudua Mask by cue64: 11:55am On May 16, 2017
YonkijiSappo:

How can you people believe a king is a "god" on earth and direct descendant of Osalobua the high God?
Isn't that an outrageous and stupid myth as well?
By the way, nobody "fell" from the sky in Yoruba mythology.

You Binis suffering from cognitive dissonance and attitudinal incongruity.
i am not her to drag superiority with brain washed afonja,, i'm only here to state that i know my history and i love every bit of it u can hang ur self for all i care u knw ur history i know mine, love urs like i love mine and we will have no problem...thank you sir
Re: The Odudua Mask by YonkijiSappo: 11:57am On May 16, 2017
cue64:
i am not her to drag superiority with brain washed afonja,, i'm only here to state that i know my history and i love every bit of it u can hang ur self for all i care u knw ur history i know mine, love urs like i love mine and we will have no problem...thank you sir

now, you are so lost, you don't even know what to say again.
Abeg, carry your ekaladerhan mask and go sidown for one corner.
Re: The Odudua Mask by cue64: 12:02pm On May 16, 2017
YonkijiSappo:

now, you are so lost, you don't even know what to say again.
Abeg, carry your ekaladerhan mask and go sidown for one corner.
typical afonja the only one from the best tribe in nigeria with the best history no one can match... i hail thee sire,, can u now take ur recalcitrant self our of this thread thank you...
Re: The Odudua Mask by Olu317(m): 2:08pm On May 16, 2017
cue64:
typical afonja the only one from the best tribe in nigeria with the best history no one can match... i hail thee sire,, can u now take ur recalcitrant self our of this thread thank you...
What is even wrong with you people? You are children of slaves. Why would you create a thread you know nothing about? All of you that kept calling my ancestor that he came from EDO, THUNDER WILL FIRE YOU ALL. EYIN ELERI BU GBO GBO YI.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

The Best African Artist! / Post Your Favourite Videos Of Nigerian Girls Dancing / Does Westernization Equate To Civilization?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.