Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,956 members, 7,828,372 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 08:52 AM

Convenient And Affordable Transport Solution Wanted - Autos - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Autos / Convenient And Affordable Transport Solution Wanted (1699 Views)

SHIP-TRANSPORT U.S.A - Get Instant Quote OR Advise. Let's Move For You / 2011 Toyota Camry For A Convenient Price Of 3.4M ;D / Easy Convenient Car Tire Inflating Device For Sale (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Convenient And Affordable Transport Solution Wanted by Seun(m): 9:45am On Jan 29, 2007
Hello,

I have a little dilemma involving this issue of transportation. I need something to take me around, but I don't think I can afford to buy and maintain a car, neither do I feel comfortable with the public transport system.

This affects my business a lot (I can hardly move around) so I wonder if there's a solution between the two extremes. Something less expensive than buying my car and more convenient and flexible than taxis/buses.

Thanks.
Re: Convenient And Affordable Transport Solution Wanted by layi(m): 10:55am On Jan 30, 2007
Buy a motorbike.
Re: Convenient And Affordable Transport Solution Wanted by Seun(m): 7:49pm On Jan 30, 2007
Thanks for the tip, Layi. Previously, I considered that briefly but I felt:
(1) Motorbikes are limited in the distance they can travel.
(2) Motorbikes are dangerous - almost every accident results in injury.
(3) Motorbikes are probably not much more comfortable than public transport.
BUT (4) In support of motorbikes, a motorbike rider will hardly ever find himself trapped in bad traffic.

What do others think about this motorbike option? Is it advisable? Is there a better option? Thanks.

And about how much do the common Suzuki motorbikes cost? Thanks. kiss
Re: Convenient And Affordable Transport Solution Wanted by theopops: 8:00pm On Jan 30, 2007
Seun:

Thanks for the tip, Layi. Previously, I considered that briefly but I felt:
Motorbikes are limited in the distance they can travel.

Depends on what kind you buy.

Motorbikes are dangerous - almost every accident results in injury.

Not entirely true. You obviously haven't heard about crash helmets and protective clothing.

Motorbikes are probably not much more comfortable than public transport.

Are you talking of a NAPEP tricycle?

Seun:

BUT (4) In support of motorbikes, a motorbike rider will hardly ever find himself trapped in bad traffic.

True. Unless it's in a motorcycle fuel queue.

What do others think about this motorbike option? Is it advisable? Is there a better option? Thanks.

Is it advisable? Yes, in my opinion, as long as you take the necessary precautions.
Is there a better option? Yes. Several. A ferrari, for example.

And about how much do the common Suzuki motorbikes cost? Thanks. kiss

I have no idea.
Re: Convenient And Affordable Transport Solution Wanted by Seun(m): 8:09pm On Jan 30, 2007
Not entirely true. You obviously haven't heard about crash helmets and protective clothing.
I don't see how a crash helmet would protect a biker if a truck hits him and then drives over his back!
Re: Convenient And Affordable Transport Solution Wanted by showbobo(m): 8:29pm On Jan 30, 2007
i wont advise you to get a bike or even a tricycle.Bike accidents are always fatal and rampant atleast i see some when driving to school.i also had the problem in the past but got a car instead.i bought a sport car and its not expensive,economical and fuel efficient.you stay in Ogun state so i think u should be able to get a tokunbo car from Idiroko.Anyway,all i'm trying to say is just that it would be better for you to get a car and once u buy it the maintainance wont be much.Toyota cars,nissan,opel,volkswagen are very cheap to maintain.
Re: Convenient And Affordable Transport Solution Wanted by Seun(m): 8:55pm On Jan 30, 2007
ABout how much will I probably need to spend to get such a tokunbo car?
Re: Convenient And Affordable Transport Solution Wanted by showbobo(m): 9:11pm On Jan 30, 2007
it depends on your pocket.you can get a tokunbo car for 120k( golf 3,mazda 323,toyota starlet and so on) and above.
Re: Convenient And Affordable Transport Solution Wanted by Nobody: 10:38pm On Jan 30, 2007
Since a car is way too expensive, taxis are out of the question and motorbikes are too dangerous, the only option left to you is to either buy a bicycle or good trekking shoes! grin
Re: Convenient And Affordable Transport Solution Wanted by my2cents(m): 10:46pm On Jan 30, 2007
Well Seun,

Based on your posts above, it seems you have exhausted all your options. However, there might be one more you could at least think about. Back in my secondary school days, we used to move around with "Leg"-edes Benz, and it was very affordable and low maintenance. You should check it out tongue

Other than that, I am afraid you are going to have to settle for, as you said, something b/w the 2 extremes. If this is the case, I would suggest a fairly used toyota, honda or nissan. As long as you change the oil every 3,000 miles or so and change your brakes/transmission fluid at least once a year, you should be good to go. I know I am in another country, but my 1999 toyota camry has only had 2 major incidences (timing belt problem after 50,000 miles and starter problem after 120,000 miles) in its 7-year existence. The car has basically paid for itself.

Good luck!
Re: Convenient And Affordable Transport Solution Wanted by tope4life(f): 10:58pm On Jan 30, 2007
ur pocket shl decide for u
Re: Convenient And Affordable Transport Solution Wanted by Nobody: 3:39am On Jan 31, 2007
Seun:

I don't think I can afford to buy and maintain a car.

shocked   You must be kidding me!

Ok.Have you tried keke Marwa ? seems like the best option bro. cheesy
Re: Convenient And Affordable Transport Solution Wanted by promise72(m): 6:22am On Jan 31, 2007
@ Seun,

Unfortunately, u cant eat ur cake and have it too. I suggest you get something like a Starlet Toyota or Nissan Micra and stay tight.

Theres no in between. The convinience of being able to pick up the keys any time of the day is good enough reason to get a car. since the hospital is not good now in Nigeria dont sign your death warrant on a bike. We need someone to the maintaining this site grin
Re: Convenient And Affordable Transport Solution Wanted by estylove1(f): 10:02am On Jan 31, 2007
Seun i would suggest u get a car hire service there is one in Ota if u r interested u can contact me
Re: Convenient And Affordable Transport Solution Wanted by layi(m): 10:52am On Jan 31, 2007
Carhire service is more expensive on the long run
Re: Convenient And Affordable Transport Solution Wanted by ehie007(m): 11:43am On Jan 31, 2007
guy the best bet is to buy a power bike.
engine capacity btw 250cc-450cc
and u ride it with utmost care.
during the raining seson u just have to buy a raincoat and dont forget to always wear an helmet.
with all these u are cool.
be cool.
Re: Convenient And Affordable Transport Solution Wanted by boladonas(m): 5:35pm On Jan 31, 2007
@Seun,

U may not like my advise but nevertheless I ll say it.
I hate okada with a passion
I see it as suicidal whther 3000cc or less

<<snip>>

How can the Obantalapipi of Nairaland be riding okada?
You guys be careful o.
Re: Convenient And Affordable Transport Solution Wanted by Seun(m): 7:19pm On Feb 05, 2007
Hmmm. I'm a bit confused but I think I'll experiment with the car hire option.
Re: Convenient And Affordable Transport Solution Wanted by agnesoseka: 1:00pm On Feb 15, 2007
hmmmmnnnnnnnnnn
Re: Convenient And Affordable Transport Solution Wanted by igbins23(m): 1:07pm On Feb 15, 2007
I am angry about what u guys talk about when so many people are huzzling lookin 4 job
Re: Convenient And Affordable Transport Solution Wanted by Gravatar: 3:09pm On Mar 27, 2018
Seun:
Hello,

I have a little dilemma involving this issue of transportation. I need something to take me around, but I don't think I can afford to buy and maintain a car, neither do I feel comfortable with the public transport system.

This affects my business a lot (I can hardly move around) so I wonder if there's a solution between the two extremes. Something less expensive than buying my car and more convenient and flexible than taxis/buses.

Thanks.

Imagine if Seun followed up on this problem and created a rideshare platform back then. Some Nigerian form of UBER.

Imagine the possibilities.

(1) (Reply)

How Much Do U Think This Will Be In 9ja / Bmw 5 Series For Sale / Need A 2006-2008 Range Sport And Also A Chrysler Hemi C300 Urgently Cash Ready

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.