Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,204 members, 7,818,678 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 09:42 PM

Nigeria Can’t Progress Under Current Political System – Tinubu, Bozimo - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria Can’t Progress Under Current Political System – Tinubu, Bozimo (3142 Views)

Apostle Samson Okorie: Nigeria Can’t Progress Until Igbo Becomes President / Nigeria Can’t Survive Without North – Arewa Forum / Don’t Destroy NIA, Nigeria Can’t Survive Without It – Horsefall, Pioneer DG NIA (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria Can’t Progress Under Current Political System – Tinubu, Bozimo by sarrki(m): 9:05am On May 18, 2017
Fidelis Soriwei, Eniola Akinkuotu and Ted Odogwu

The National Leader of the All Progressives Congress, Asiwaju Bola Tinubu, and a former Minister of Police Affairs, Chief Broderick Bozimo, have said Nigeria cannot progress under the current political system which operates like a military unitary system.

The former governor of Lagos State said this at the 91st anniversary of Daily Times newspaper and the Times Heroes awards in Abuja on Tuesday, while Bozimo stated this while speaking with journalists during the 90th birthday celebration of a former Federal Commissioner, Chief Edwin Clark.

.Tinubu, who was represented by Governor Rauf Aregbesola of Osun State, said Nigeria was only a federation in name but was a unitary state in practice.

He said, “Let us streamline governance; federalism in word and deed. Our constitution declares Nigeria a federation of 36 states however we still grapple with the vestiges of our past under the military rule. In any case, we still function like a unitary state despite the constitution. More power and resources need to devolve to the states.

“The Federal Government is taking on too much. We cannot flourish with over-concentration of powers at the centre. Some of the 68 items on the exclusive federal list should be transferred to the residual list as it was in most federal constitutions.

“In the 1963 Constitution, there were extensive powers granted to regions which allowed them to carry out their immense responsibility as they then saw fit.”

Tinubu said Nigeria’s unitary political system only offered a deceptive and fake economic prosperity which was exposed when the oil price slumped.

He said even if the current recession end, the prosperity that would follow would be short-lived except structural changes were made.

He added, “The fall in oil prices exposed this economic model for the life that it was. Now, we must fashion a new political economy. In due course, the current recession will end. This should come as a relief. In itself however, it is not a cause for celebration, far from it. The end of recession does not mean the beginning of prosperity.”

The APC chieftain said some items which ordinarily should be state matters like police, prisons, stamp duty, taxation of incomes, profits and capital gains, registration of businesses, incorporation of companies, traffic on Federal Government roads passing through states, trade, commerce among others were transferred from the concurrent to the exclusive list.

He said this was at variance with the true spirit of federalism, describing the current unitary system as a ‘monster.’

Tinubu added, “Regarding electrical power we must move beyond limiting states to generate, transmit and distribute electricity to areas not covered by the national grid. Our problem is lack of power yet we preclude states from helping to resolve the chronic problem that stands at the very heart of economic development.

“It is not right to say states can generate power but cannot sell it where they want. Without yielding any contravening benefits, these policies suppresses the generation of needed power.”

Also speaking at the event, the Chairman of the Daily Times, Mr. Fidelis Anosike, said the ceremony was put together to reward and encourage excellence in Nigeria.

He said the newspaper would re-establish itself as a profitable media conglomerate with the potential of contributing to Nigeria’s GDP.

Some notable Nigerians who received awards include President Muhammadu Buhari; former President Goodluck Jonathan, the Chairman of United Bank of Africa, Tony Elumelu; Governor Yahaya Bello of Kogi State; Governor Okezie Ikpeazu of Abia State, his Anambra State counterpart, Governor Willie Obiano; and Governor Nyesom Wike of Rivers State.

Others include Pastor Paul Adefarasin of House on the Rock; the Chairman, First Bank of Nigeria, Mrs. Ibukun Awosika and actor, Pete Edochie.

Bozimo, who is the Chairman of the Clark’s 90th birthday committee said that the committee would organise a national discourse with the theme ‘Restructuring, True Federalism, and Resource Control: Panacea for Enduring Peace and Sustainable Development in Nigeria’ on May 25, 2017.

He said that it was important that Clark’s 90 birthday celebration was marked with a crucial discussion on restructuring and resource control which he devoted a greater part of his life to.

He said, “It is obvious. It is the subject matter that is relevant and prevalent in Nigeria today. It is virtually crucial. You know, the chief has been on the vanguard of that struggle virtually all his life.

“Therefore, I think it is befitting and appropriate that when you celebrate his 90 years on earth, that subject will feature and it will be for me the spirit that will move this celebration.”

http://punchng.com/nigeria-cant-progress-under-current-political-system-tinubu-bozimo/

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria Can’t Progress Under Current Political System – Tinubu, Bozimo by mynd1(f): 9:07am On May 18, 2017
God heal Mr president
God bless Acting president
God bless Nigeria

*Thunder fire all Mr president and naija haters!
Re: Nigeria Can’t Progress Under Current Political System – Tinubu, Bozimo by neolboy(m): 9:08am On May 18, 2017
ok
Re: Nigeria Can’t Progress Under Current Political System – Tinubu, Bozimo by MXrep: 9:09am On May 18, 2017
Seems like afonjas have discovered that their misadventure to abuja is useless. GEJ's conference was about to address these issues but afonjas were desperate to taste abuja, thereby converting a vegetable dullardi.nho into a messiah overnight. Now that veggie is rotting in London and their masters have made it clear to them that the mere commissioner is up for eviction come 2019, they have gone back to their "true federalism" mantra after trading the opportunity for a plate of Amala and Ewedu

36 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Nigeria Can’t Progress Under Current Political System – Tinubu, Bozimo by Igboesika: 9:10am On May 18, 2017
I just dey laugh.

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigeria Can’t Progress Under Current Political System – Tinubu, Bozimo by ElsonMorali: 9:12am On May 18, 2017
I have always said it and I will continue to say it, Nigeria needs a "benevolent" dictator who will rule Nigeria as It's emperor and with an iron fist, crushing past corrupt politicians with a blow and whipping Nigerians into place.

I just need a little more motivation and I might just...

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Can’t Progress Under Current Political System – Tinubu, Bozimo by Mujaheeeden: 9:24am On May 18, 2017
ElsonMorali:
I have always said it and I will continue to say it, Nigeria needs a "benevolent" dictator who will rule Nigeria as It's emperor and with an iron fist, crushing past corrupt politicians with a blow and whipping Nigerians into place.

I just need a little more motivation and I might just...
Bla bla bla. Which country has dictatorship helped in this 21st century

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigeria Can’t Progress Under Current Political System – Tinubu, Bozimo by Mujaheeeden: 9:26am On May 18, 2017
Tinubu will just turn to Parrot anytime buhari is not around. The same man with halitosis heard when buhari said he is not interested in Federalism and he kept quiet and continued shouting Sai Baba

16 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigeria Can’t Progress Under Current Political System – Tinubu, Bozimo by DrGoodman: 9:29am On May 18, 2017
Jonathan said the same things, even made moves to make other laws by bypassing the senate, they conspired and kicked him out because he is not from the part of Nigeria who thinks the country belongs to them alone.

Now Tinubu is realizing the same problem after a long time.

Tinubu should first issue a national apology for dragging this country backwards.

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigeria Can’t Progress Under Current Political System – Tinubu, Bozimo by ElsonMorali: 9:30am On May 18, 2017
Mujaheeeden:
Bla bla bla. Which country has dictatorship helped in this 21st century

Why don't you get lost and count pebbles somewhere. I'm entitled to my opinion.

But then again, kill yourself on my mentions If you so will.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Can’t Progress Under Current Political System – Tinubu, Bozimo by maestrojohn(m): 9:30am On May 18, 2017
Yawns.. mmmm. is he an opposition? Nigeria is now a comedy land

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Can’t Progress Under Current Political System – Tinubu, Bozimo by Mujaheeeden: 9:32am On May 18, 2017
ElsonMorali:

Why don't you get lost and count pebbles somewhere. I'm entitled to my opinion.

But then again, kill yourself on my mentions If you so will.
Your Opinion should be shared Al barnawi, Shekau and Buhari who see western education as haram so they think from the back

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Can’t Progress Under Current Political System – Tinubu, Bozimo by BrutalJab: 9:36am On May 18, 2017
This brown teeth drug addict called Tinubu self dey talk of bad leaders.
chai

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigeria Can’t Progress Under Current Political System – Tinubu, Bozimo by ourema(f): 9:36am On May 18, 2017
"" It's a big lie Nigeria will move forward even with a highly skewed structure,''__Zone Bee

5 Likes

Re: Nigeria Can’t Progress Under Current Political System – Tinubu, Bozimo by ElsonMorali: 9:41am On May 18, 2017
Mujaheeeden:
Your Opinion should be shared Al barnawi, Shekau and Buhari who see western education as haram so they think from the back

The United Arab Emirates is a democracy abi that's why Nigeria is so much better. Nonsense.
Re: Nigeria Can’t Progress Under Current Political System – Tinubu, Bozimo by sarrki(m): 9:42am On May 18, 2017
Mujaheeeden:

Is he not entitled to his opinion?

Why do you always insult people by calling them shekau and the rest? .

Gej wasted time and resources without any tangible thing to point at

So blame your hero for the pains

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Can’t Progress Under Current Political System – Tinubu, Bozimo by sarrki(m): 9:43am On May 18, 2017
BrutalJab:
This brown teeth drug addict called Tinubu self dey talk of bad leaders.

chai

E pain am

He sent your uncle (Jonah )

Back to where he belong

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Can’t Progress Under Current Political System – Tinubu, Bozimo by Mujaheeeden: 9:45am On May 18, 2017
ElsonMorali:

The United Arab Emirates is a democracy abi that's why Nigeria is so much better. Nonsense.
There is a monarchy there not a dictatorship. Truly ignorance is bliss. Go look for Yoruba v Igbo fight and enjoy your time there

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Can’t Progress Under Current Political System – Tinubu, Bozimo by obonujoker(m): 9:46am On May 18, 2017
sarrki:

Sarrki omoluabi, ronu now... ronu... Jonathan is better than OBJ and PMB combined... Akan fe ma puro fun ara wa ni....

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Can’t Progress Under Current Political System – Tinubu, Bozimo by Mujaheeeden: 9:46am On May 18, 2017
sarrki:

Did i call anyone Shekau?

The Problem with you is that you don't know what is your Problem and that's your Problem

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Can’t Progress Under Current Political System – Tinubu, Bozimo by BrutalJab: 9:47am On May 18, 2017
sarrki:

E pain am

He sent your uncle (Jonah )

Back to where he belong

What's the total vote your region gathered and hustled to help the dullard win? grin

How many South West state did APC win?

Hope you passed your jamb

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Can’t Progress Under Current Political System – Tinubu, Bozimo by ElsonMorali: 9:48am On May 18, 2017
Mujaheeeden:
There is a monarchy there not a dictatorship. Truly ignorance is bliss. Go look for Yoruba v Igbo fight and enjoy your time there

Lol. Look at this one o.

So you want me to teach you that Monarchical system government is a form of dictatorial government?

Wonders shall never end.

Who's a dictator anyway? A leader elected or a leader imposed on the people by the system?

Guy, abeg shift.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Can’t Progress Under Current Political System – Tinubu, Bozimo by sarrki(m): 9:49am On May 18, 2017
obonujoker:

Sarrki omoluabi, ronu now... ronu... Jonathan is better than OBJ and PMB combined... Akan fe ma puro fun ara wa ni....

Iro ponbele niyen Jonah omo jegudu jera

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Can’t Progress Under Current Political System – Tinubu, Bozimo by IgbosAreGreat(f): 9:53am On May 18, 2017
BrutalJab:

What's the total vote your region gathered and hustled to help the dullard win? grin

How many South West state did APC win?

Hope you passed your jamb

grin grin grin grin grin

4 Likes

Re: Nigeria Can’t Progress Under Current Political System – Tinubu, Bozimo by IgbosAreGreat(f): 9:53am On May 18, 2017
let me park here

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria Can’t Progress Under Current Political System – Tinubu, Bozimo by Mujaheeeden: 9:54am On May 18, 2017
ElsonMorali:

Lol. Look at this one o.

So you want me to teach you that Monarchical system government is a form of dictatorial government?

Wonders shall never end.

Who's a dictator anyway? A leader elected or a leader imposed on the people by the system?

Guy, abeg shift.
Monarchy system of government is guided by either cultural or religious factor. In Monarchy today there are absolute and ceremonial and with this changing world a lot of countries that practise absolute monarchy still allow citizens to make inputs.

7 Likes

Re: Nigeria Can’t Progress Under Current Political System – Tinubu, Bozimo by izombie(m): 9:54am On May 18, 2017
federation or unitary or dictatorship will not make nigeria work. We are not one people, we have never been one people and we will never be one people. I laugh when i see people that think one nigeria will ever work. It will never work. Nigeria is actually going backwards while the rest of the world is moving forward. Divide this country.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Can’t Progress Under Current Political System – Tinubu, Bozimo by obonujoker(m): 9:56am On May 18, 2017
sarrki:

Iro ponbele niyen Jonah omo jegudu jera

Lol.... buh you know in the history of Nigeria, Jonathan is bigger than your Tinubu ba??

5 Likes

Re: Nigeria Can’t Progress Under Current Political System – Tinubu, Bozimo by sarrki(m): 10:04am On May 18, 2017
obonujoker:

Lol.... buh you know in the history of Nigeria, Jonathan is bigger than your Tinubu ba??

I thought you want a conversation

Oya let's go there

Tinubu sent the confused drunkard back to otuoke

He made him resigned by force

A sitting president removed by a former governor of almost a decade out of office

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Can’t Progress Under Current Political System – Tinubu, Bozimo by DLondonboiy: 10:04am On May 18, 2017
Lol

My robotic sarrki, have you blamed GEJ today?

Abeg, tell nairalanders who destroyed Nigeria...

5 Likes

Re: Nigeria Can’t Progress Under Current Political System – Tinubu, Bozimo by ElsonMorali: 10:05am On May 18, 2017
Mujaheeeden:
Monarchy system of government is guided by either cultural or religious factor. In Monarchy today there are absolute and ceremonial and with this changing world a lot of countries that practise absolute monarchy still allow citizens to make inputs.

Listen up in case you don't know, monarchy is dictatorial. When was the last time you heard there was protest or riot in Dubai?

If you are in a monarchical system government and you think you have any rights, you're joking.

And I'm not talking of countries like the UK where their monarchy is only ceremonial.

Give Nigeria a Jerry Rawlings and have the present political class executed. All the bloody lot.

(1) (2) (Reply)

See Excel Sheet Copy Of How PDP Plans To Announce Fake Result On Saturday / No More Nigerians Immigration In USA, Trump Declared / Arthur Eze Must Not Be Allowed To Appropriate Police Zonal Command Headquarters

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.