Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,972 members, 7,817,851 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 09:10 PM

Crime Fiction: Rules Of The Jungle - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Crime Fiction: Rules Of The Jungle (866 Views)

Femi Kayode Wins Little, Brown Award For Crime Fiction / Baby And Me - A Crime Story / My Life Of Crime... Fiction (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Crime Fiction: Rules Of The Jungle by afroxyz: 12:22pm On May 18, 2017
The night was soulless and gloomy when he alighted from the bus. The usual subtle flicks from the stars were enveloped by angry dark clouds. The only sign of life apart from them was the symphony of chirps and croaks coming from the crickets and frogs. Today, the night was not a pleasant host. Passengers grateful that the 12-hour journey from Lagos was over, sluggishly disembarked from the bus, dragging their tired bodies to the rear of the bus to retrieve their luggage. With nothing more than a backpack, Chidubem went to a discreet corner to place a call, first to his cousin, then to his parents to inform them that he had arrived safely. He hardly brought his phone out from his pocket when he had a familiar voice behind him.

‘Zuwo’

‘Nkem. Is that you?

He was sure the voice sounded familiar, but he needed confirmation. This is a strange place.

Suddenly strong hands grabbed him from behind lifting him up. Chidubem swirled his legs violently, trying to break free.

‘Zuwo’ the voice said again.

This time he was sure.

Even though it was roughly 4 years since he had last seen Nkem, his distinct raspy voice was hard to mistake. Chidubem’s feet found the ground after Nkem loosened his grip. He turned around to face his cousin. He noticed he still maintained his physique. Back then in FGC Okigwe, he was the captain of the soccer team, a notorious defender who never missed the leg when he missed the ball.

‘Na our slang for here. As a jambito, you be Zuwo.’ Nkem empahsized as they clasped their hands tightly in a handshake.

‘Oh boy, see as you don add up. Chineke! you just dey house dey chop aunty food abi. No worry by the time owu blow you for here, na okpa you go dey chop’.

You dey craze o’ Chidubem replied amidst laughter. ‘Ashawo like you. You still dey gym for babes abi? See as you don resemble body builder’

‘Omo, no worry. For here, you go see babes na you go tire.’ Nkem replied excitedly, then looks at his hand.

‘Shoo, wey your bag na?’

You don see me finish. As you see me na so I dey.’

Even though it was normal to have 1st year students hurling large boxes and travelling bags, Chidubem did not want to be bothered with any extra luggage. He just needed his clothes, toiletries and money

Make we ball out na. No time.’ Nkem said leading the way.

They walk over to a green 1999 Toyota Camry parked opposite the motor park. Nkem started the engine and set the car into motion

‘Na you get the ride?’ Chidubem asked

‘Na today? Dey there. I’ve had this car since last year.

‘Wow.’

‘Na small thing na. With time you go arrange your own.’

The car’s air condition unit started with a low roar and rush of hot air, before giving way to a soft humming sound and cool air.

‘Till that time.’ Chidubem replied tiredly. All he could think of was having a bath and a lengthy sleep, thankfully he didn’t have to go to school the next day.
Re: Crime Fiction: Rules Of The Jungle by Divepen1(m): 2:26pm On May 18, 2017
Let the trouble begin.
Re: Crime Fiction: Rules Of The Jungle by Nostradamus: 1:32pm On May 19, 2017
Divepen1:
Let the trouble begin.
na so

(1) (Reply)

Bad Thinz Sweeto.... (story By Odafizi) / [story] Ayo And His Military Neighbour’s Wife – Season 1, Episode 8. / Writer Needed For Juicy Writing Gigs (offer Is Permanent)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.