Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,744 members, 7,817,056 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 01:30 AM

Hand Coding And Dreamweaving. - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Hand Coding And Dreamweaving. (5188 Views)

Design Database Driven Websites & Android Mobile Apps No Coding Skill Required / Drag N' Drop Versus Coding Of HTML / How To Convert Html To Xhtml Without Coding (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Hand Coding And Dreamweaving. by brianromel(m): 12:54pm On Jan 13, 2010
I wanted to ask, between handcoding and dreamweaving. Which is better.

And for those of us that want to becoming better hand coders,should we fling our dreamweavers out the window all together and bootup the good old notepad or ++. Or should keep using it to guide us from making those annoying to find,hidden on line 172 or 321,take a break before u fling the lappy out the window, code errors that notepad does point to or indictate with loving colors or hints.

So lets here ur advise oh great and wise ones.
Re: Hand Coding And Dreamweaving. by DualCore1: 2:59pm On Jan 13, 2010
lol i like the term dreamweaving.

I will be refering to Dreamweaver as DW, notepad++ as np++, Firefox as FF and Internet Explorer as IE

I use both. However I use np++ a lot more. Granted using DW in Split view is like Heaven  tongue

I prefer writing my stuff in np++ cuz its light and fast. How i work is . . . I do main work on 1st monitor (which in most cases is my laptop's display) and I have FF and IE (and sometimes Chrome) on second monitor. So when i'm working on np++, i hit Ctrl+S (which saves) and i alt + tab to change focus to the browsers on the 2nd monitor and i hit F5 to refresh and see as i make changes to my work.

This works for me.  Someone else may be doing this better with DW, as long as it works for the person, no wahala.

I have to say though that it is after i left DW (which i used from its MX days to its CS4) I realised i didnt know how to write codes to do routine things like add an external style sheet or external javascript. I didn't know how to hand code a table or some stuff like creating forms and input fields. DW spoilt me! Well i corrected all that when i left it and started handcoding from scratch.
Now i dont think i have that patience to wait for dreamweaver to come up with its splash screen then load some stuff just for me to edit a page or something. Can't remember when last i use DW but i think i opened it by mistake a few months back. That's the last i remember. Its on my desktop though wink

You know, in DW these routine things are hidden from you. You just goto Insert and choose what you wonno insert and voila, its their. You can see it with your blurred vision.

Its like you being in the Passenger's seat of a car for years while your bud drives and you always tell yourself "i can drive! i can drive". When you're face to face with the wheels you'll be like . . . "erm dude i know i gotta move this gear but which direction do i really move it to first?"

Bottom line: DW is a tool for the Pros and the yet-to-be-pros alike (i'm in the middle). It all boils down to how you use it.
In my opinion anyone relying on DW's Design view alone is going head-on for a collision.

P.S: I feel more geeky typing stuff than letting DW do the typing  grin grin
Re: Hand Coding And Dreamweaving. by yawatide(f): 4:04pm On Jan 13, 2010
You can still use dreamweaver, provided you use code view, as opposed to design view wink
Re: Hand Coding And Dreamweaving. by DualCore1: 4:11pm On Jan 13, 2010
Yeap. Code completion can be a friend or a foe though.
Re: Hand Coding And Dreamweaving. by yawatide(f): 5:11pm On Jan 13, 2010
Yeah, when I first used dreamweaver i hated (and still do. I know i can turn it off but what's the point? grin) it when I enter say, P opening tag, then when I would go to type the close P tag, I would actually be doing it twice as dreamweaver would automatically sense and close it for me when I typed a slash.

One thing I do like about dreamweaver (just about the only thing tongue) is I can highlight an entire block and hit tab and everything is automatically tabbed. In some other programs, you would be erasing everything you highlighted.
Re: Hand Coding And Dreamweaving. by DualCore1: 5:25pm On Jan 13, 2010
yawa-ti-de:

One thing I do like about dreamweaver (just about the only thing tongue) is I can highlight an entire block and hit tab and everything is automatically tabbed. In some other programs, you would be erasing everything you highlighted.

Wooohooo, I just tried the TAB thingy with np++ and it did it!
Wow awesome stuff i've just learned, thanks. grin
Re: Hand Coding And Dreamweaving. by cj1080(m): 6:18pm On Jan 13, 2010
Its a lie,even dual core went thru what i went thru. U see dad even de pro's go thru some mistakes(shouting from the toilet,with the door closed,and the room door also closed and the passage door also closed)hope he didn't hear me.

Ok,i went thru the same oooow,aaaah of dreamweavered in the days of mx,without a knowledge of coding. Just work the graphics and vala. Until while boasting around about it being a pro web designer, i was given someone elses job to edit.(from where i wan begin,this guy wrote it in code and whats <b> suppose to stand for,oh bold.)

Yes i had to return the money(vexingly) and decide to start with handcoding. And so far its given me a better understand of coding in general.

Ok i won't lie,i'm still a sucker for the hints and colour indicators of dreamweaver. For us beginners in design and development it really saves the day,and untold hours of frustration.lol

oh and dual could u recommend a good read on writing ones own functions on javascript and php,cos i seem to be doing fine i using defined function but when i try to create mine it seem like the pc just lifts off and attacks me with eeeh error.
Re: Hand Coding And Dreamweaving. by DualCore1: 6:23pm On Jan 13, 2010
cj1080:

Its a lie,even dual core went thru what i went thru. U see dad even de pro's go thru some mistakes(shouting from the toilet,with the door closed,and the room door also closed and the passage door also closed)hope he didn't hear me.

Ok,i went thru the same oooow,aaaah of dreamweavered in the days of mx,without a knowledge of coding. Just work the graphics and vala. Until while boasting around about it being a pro web designer, i was given someone elses job to edit.(from where i wan begin,this guy wrote it in code and whats <b> suppose to stand for,oh bold.)

Yes i had to return the money(vexingly) and decide to start with handcoding. And so far its given me a better understand of coding in general.

Ok i won't lie,i'm still a sucker for the hints and colour indicators of dreamweaver. For us beginners in design and development it really saves the day,and untold hours of frustration.lol

oh and dual could u recommend a good read on writing ones own functions on javascript and php,cos i seem to be doing fine i using defined function but when i try to create mine it seem like the pc just lifts off and attacks me with eeeh error.

lol funny.
as per functions. I hardly write my own functions. I use jQuery (not a pro in it but i'll be someday) for javascript.
as per php, i havnt written much of my own. I have just written functions for submitting forms to emails or a database or a text file, functions for database connectivity and manipulation.

You should try jQuery grin
I can only regret i just started studying it a relatively short while back.
Re: Hand Coding And Dreamweaving. by yawatide(f): 6:42pm On Jan 13, 2010
jQuery makes you lazy man. Just like using GPS instead of memorizing directions. But who am I kidding? I use jQuery too tongue
Re: Hand Coding And Dreamweaving. by DualCore1: 6:45pm On Jan 13, 2010
See you, it was from one of your posts i took interest in jQuery and started studying its workings. tongue
Re: Hand Coding And Dreamweaving. by yawatide(f): 8:26pm On Jan 13, 2010
He heeeee (my laff, as "I go die" said in one of his skits, don dey reach london o), the more I read posts like yours Dual, the more I am seriously thinking of setting up an outfit t rival aptech and niit (evil grin)
Re: Hand Coding And Dreamweaving. by cj1080(m): 8:31pm On Jan 13, 2010
What u don't write ur functions on ur own, see me being busy killing myself trying to do that. How do u write them and with wat.enlighten a brother my brother.

And jscript,ain't that the same as javascript but with a shortened j or an i missing something.
Where and how can i lay me hands on an indepth study to understand of that. Do point(oh not polite),do show de way pls.
Re: Hand Coding And Dreamweaving. by sayhi2ay(m): 8:41pm On Jan 13, 2010
cj1080:

What u don't write your functions on your own, see me being busy killing myself trying to do that. How do u write them and with wat.enlighten a brother my brother.

And jscript,ain't that the same as javascript but with a shortened j or an i missing something.
Where and how can i lay me hands on an indepth study to understand of that. Do point(oh not polite),do show de way pls.

There are some functions out there that'd do what you have in mind, and there are some you'd have to code. just like classes.

check lynda for videos
Re: Hand Coding And Dreamweaving. by DualCore1: 8:51pm On Jan 13, 2010
yawa-ti-de:

He heeeee (my laff, as "I go die" said in one of his skits, don dey reach london o), the more I read posts like yours Dual, the more I am seriously thinking of setting up an outfit t rival aptech and niit (evil grin)
Indians, their jazz no be beans o.  undecided
They will just jazz ya institute.  tongue

cj1080:

What u don't write your functions on your own, see me being busy killing myself trying to do that. How do u write them and with wat.enlighten a brother my brother.

Well I think I came into this thing at an era when all the hard work had been done by our ancestors. As in, they've written all the functions for us, now its left for us to use and extend the functionalities.

I said jQuery not jScript.  tongue
Re: Hand Coding And Dreamweaving. by MyHonour(m): 7:17am On Jan 15, 2010
yawatide, you know how to use javascript properly, so if you use jQuery, it just makes you faster.
jQuery is just a shortcut way of using javascript - it is not a replacement for javascript.

The jQuery users i have problems with are those that do not know basic javascript and are strugglin
to pull mighty wonders with jQuery.
@topic: i think it is best to combine handcoding with dreamweaver. Both will serve their purpose.
Re: Hand Coding And Dreamweaving. by yawatide(f): 11:03am On Jan 15, 2010
myhonour, i guess my point was, there is no need downloading 55kb of code for just 1 function or 2. There are things you can do in pretty quick time using regular javascript than with jquery.

Yes, I agree with you, with respect to those who don't understand who are trying to use it by force, granted i do know of someone I begged to learn regular javascript first and he said no and is now, actually a pretty cool jquery coder wink
Re: Hand Coding And Dreamweaving. by DaBlaze: 12:22pm On Jan 15, 2010
@ topic.

Depends on what kind of webdeveloper you are. I personally use Dreamweaver as my code editor, especially when i'm writing CSS code, cause it helps me a lot when i'm stuck + i can view my results on the fly. I primarily work with Joomla and amend the default (or bought) template with CSS, but i started webdeveloping with Dreamweaver.

Hope this makes sense
Re: Hand Coding And Dreamweaving. by Zahymaka(m): 12:23pm On Jan 15, 2010
Well, I do work in design view sometimes with Dreamweaver. Mostly when I have to paste text with lots of html entities like &ndash;. Hitting enter or shift enter for new paragraphs and line breaks also speeds things up.

In the end, the question is, if you use a wysiwyg editor, do you understand all the html it's spitting out?
Re: Hand Coding And Dreamweaving. by JOSEPHOKO(m): 12:24pm On Jan 15, 2010
[b]DREAMWEAVING IS THE BEST ANYWAY
ALTHOUGH THEY ALL HAVE FLAWS
Re: Hand Coding And Dreamweaving. by ayo84(m): 12:25pm On Jan 15, 2010
Both, it doesnt make sense for me to code an entire site from scratch without using a wysiwyg.
Re: Hand Coding And Dreamweaving. by MyHonour(m): 1:37pm On Jan 15, 2010
yawa-ti-de:

myhonour, i guess my point was, there is no need downloading 55kb of code for just 1 function or 2. There are things you can do in pretty quick time using regular javascript than with jquery.

Yes, I agree with you, with respect to those who don't understand who are trying to use it by force, granted i do know of someone I begged to learn regular javascript first and he said no and is now, actually a pretty cool jquery coder wink
Of course, you can use jQuery if you follow instructions. But you will still lack some efficiency. There are times that jQuery is just not worth it.
Like you said, sometimes a few lines of JScript will solve it. And again, if you dont know regular jScript you can spend a long time to debug and
to solve some basic problems. Besides, you cannot keep downloading plugins all the way to sort out your basic everyday problems.
Re: Hand Coding And Dreamweaving. by mrperfect(m): 1:52pm On Jan 15, 2010
Begin with Dw and as you go start employing hand coding.
Re: Hand Coding And Dreamweaving. by hoodboi(m): 1:54pm On Jan 15, 2010
Dreamweaving by far
Re: Hand Coding And Dreamweaving. by DaBlaze: 2:05pm On Jan 15, 2010
I notice no one is mentioning CMS's. In a way, Dreamweaver is old news now. For anyone starting from scratch, i'll recommend learning XHTML, followed by CSS, followed by Joomla, Drupal, Wordpress (take your pick) and then top it up with Flash and some actionscript in the mix.

You'll be making absolutely stunning websites in about a year to 9 months. Get a good graph guy as well if you're not good at that. The web is very visual these days.
Re: Hand Coding And Dreamweaving. by Nobody: 3:12pm On Jan 15, 2010
:-x
Re: Hand Coding And Dreamweaving. by beknown(m): 3:49pm On Jan 15, 2010
@Poster,

The two options are good and helpful for webmasters in diverse ways. The usefulness differ from person to person and from time to time.

As for a learner, it is good to start walking and then increase your pace before you begin to run. If a learner run too early, you could crash and burn - get frustrated.

It is good to take things easy and use the option that is best for the individual at the time because both options are useful for a serious webmaster.
Re: Hand Coding And Dreamweaving. by dalinkwnt(m): 4:52pm On Jan 15, 2010
dreamweaving,

I'm sure alot of mechanics prefer power tools over hand tools no?
Re: Hand Coding And Dreamweaving. by mikkyphp(m): 6:16pm On Jan 15, 2010
i started out with hard coding and then frontpage came along and dreamweaver MX. It was fun with DW, but i just allow it manage a few things while i still hard code on from the code view. DW never took the place of my hard coding prowess cos i still do somethings faster than clicking away in DW. e.g a form, istead of the whole wizard stuff and bunch of form tag attributes i dont need popping up in the set up screen, i just <form action="mikky.php" away, lol
While coding in PHP, DW only helps in reading my codes because of the colours it assignmes to different code elements etc, or when i need to insert a bit of php codes into an existing html document.
DW is cool overall,
Re: Hand Coding And Dreamweaving. by Sprumbaba: 7:34pm On Jan 15, 2010
Re: Hand Coding And Dreamweaving. by beefy23(m): 7:37pm On Jan 15, 2010
Old skool handcoding all the way - it frees me from the distractions of the tool. All I really need is a decent text editor - TextMate, Vim etc and I'm away.

If on the other hand you depend on web design/coding for your livelihood, then it may be best to at least familiarise yourself with tools like Dreamweaver, a few CMSs etc as hinted at by ^^^Sprumbaba
Re: Hand Coding And Dreamweaving. by DualCore1: 7:40pm On Jan 15, 2010
Sprumbaba:

I am also a Fireworks PRO - My best software
You got any cool FW extensions or written commands you could share?

Just started taking interest in web graphics design.
Here's something i did in FW Click Here

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Smartwebng Is Crippling Our Businesses / Revealed: Who Were The First 10 Users On Facebook? / 4 Easy Ways To Speed Up Your Website

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.