Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,086 members, 7,818,251 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 11:14 AM

UK Vows To Make It Even Tougher For International Students To Come To Britain. - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / UK Vows To Make It Even Tougher For International Students To Come To Britain. (1475 Views)

US-Iran Face-Off: Tougher Screening Awaits Nigerian Travellers / Tipper Crushes Students To Death In Oko Anambra, Driver Flees (Disturbing Photo) / Trump Administration Approves Tougher Visa Vetting, Including Social Media Check (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

UK Vows To Make It Even Tougher For International Students To Come To Britain. by claremont(m): 7:40pm On May 18, 2017
Students and academics have reacted furiously after the Conservative Party pledged to make it even more difficult for international students to attend UK universities.

The party announced in its manifesto on Thursday that it will introduce “tougher” visa rules for overseas students if elected into power, while also creating higher requirements for those who want to work in Britain after graduating.

Despite prolonged calls from activists, international students will also continue to be included in the government’s net migration figures.

Vowing to reduce net migration to the “tens of thousands”, the Tory manifesto claims the party will “continue to bear down on immigration from outside the European Union”.

“We will toughen the visa requirement for students, to make sure that we maintain high standards,” it reads.

“We will expect students to leave the country at the end of their course, unless they meet new, higher requirements that allow them to work in Britain after their studies have concluded.”

The document continues: “Overseas students will remain in the immigration statistics - in line with international definitions - and within scope of the government’s policy to reduce annual net migration.”

The news has led to an outpouring of outrage from students and lecturers.

“During the seven years I’ve lived, studied and worked in this country, I’ve heard them whisper: ‘We don’t want you here’,” one international student wrote on Twitter.

“Now they’re shouting it.”

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/conservative-party-international-students-britain_uk_591d8375e4b094cdba516e2d?

Re: UK Vows To Make It Even Tougher For International Students To Come To Britain. by divinehand2003(m): 7:45pm On May 18, 2017
Wow

That's is sounding like President Trump. Too harsh
Re: UK Vows To Make It Even Tougher For International Students To Come To Britain. by hisgrace090: 8:21pm On May 18, 2017
They are now more trump after threatening to bar trump from entering UK
Re: UK Vows To Make It Even Tougher For International Students To Come To Britain. by hakeem4(m): 8:35pm On May 18, 2017
Who wan go their school sef ?

4 Likes

Re: UK Vows To Make It Even Tougher For International Students To Come To Britain. by ferhyntorlah(f): 8:43am On May 19, 2017
I find this news very funny.

UK schools get most of their revenue from tuition paid by international students as they are charged twice the amount paid by home students.

If the Conservative Party goes ahead with this draconian plan, how will the schools continue to maintain themselves? Or will they provide enough funds or grants that the school can use without looking outwards?

The Conservative Party have always been anti-immigration. So I'm not surprised.
Re: UK Vows To Make It Even Tougher For International Students To Come To Britain. by Umarlulu: 10:39am On Jun 08, 2017
hakeem4:
Who wan go their school sef ?
i

1 Like

Re: UK Vows To Make It Even Tougher For International Students To Come To Britain. by ikeepitreal(m): 11:42am On Jun 08, 2017
Bleep the uk. thank God I'm making plans to go study in the US
Re: UK Vows To Make It Even Tougher For International Students To Come To Britain. by Xtemporize009: 7:07pm On Jun 08, 2017
I find it baffling why people still go to the U.K for studies....a country where you're not wanted, and will be kicked out immediately after graduating is to say the least, disconcerting.....I'll take the German machines, or Canada or USA in that order....Norway, Australia are also powerful options! I can only visit the U.K. But to study?? No way!

(1) (Reply)

MUST READ - -top Mistakes To Avoid During A Visa Interview / Namibia: Visa Free For All Africans + Top 5 Activities On My List! / What Is Escalated After One Year Of Receiving B1/B2 Usa Tourist Visa

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.