Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,120 members, 7,818,361 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 01:30 PM

When Will Our Eagles Be Super Again! - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / When Will Our Eagles Be Super Again! (640 Views)

Will The Nigerian Eagles Ever Be Super Again? / Check Out Throwback Wedding Pics Of Set To Be Super Eagles Coach Sunday Oliseh / Who Should Be Super Eagles New Coach? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

When Will Our Eagles Be Super Again! by frenchman(m): 8:48pm On Jan 13, 2010
Gone are the days when our national team used to create fear in the minds of our opponent, even before we meet them.
The days of Rashidi Yekini, Daniel Amokachi, Jajay Okocha, and all, infact the 1994 squad. Can we say that Nigeria is no longer producing these stars? or are we not in the same country that produced these great footballers.
Now we are struggling, when teams like Ghana and Ivory Coast that used to see us as football giant have secured their own qualification to SA, we were praying for Tunisia to lose for us to qualify.
Can someone tell me when are we going to be SUPER again?
Re: When Will Our Eagles Be Super Again! by Katsumoto: 9:09pm On Jan 13, 2010
When our players become humble and play football for the love of it and not for money. It may surprise you that the average Nigerian footballer in Europe these days makes more money than Yekini, Adepoju, Keshi, Nwanu, etc ever did. When Mikel signed for Chelsea, he used to attend training sessions in the company of friends until he was warned not to. Drogba makes more money than any Nigerian player but he is far more committed than all our players put together.

Our football has been decaying for the past 20 years but no one took notice because we were doing ok. Our football house is being run by incompetent and ill-qualified persons such as Galadima, Toro, Lulu. Not surprisingly, the rest of the country is being run in the same manner and little wonder why nothing works in Nigeria. Complacency, mediocrity are the watch words in Nigeria; have been since independence. Do you remember the 80's and 90s when our athletes used to qualify for the finals of most the olympic events? When was the last we qualified for final? Can you remember atheletes like Onyali, Ezinwa twins, Falilat Ogunkoya, Yusuf Ali, Olapade Adenekan? Do we have any athletes now that compare to those mentioned previously? Obikwelu has won medals for Portugal but he did not win anything for Nigeria when he represented Nigeria. Can you see where I am going with this?
Re: When Will Our Eagles Be Super Again! by frenchman(m): 9:18pm On Jan 13, 2010
Your points are really valid, and i cannot agree with you more.
The football/sports situation is a subset of the Nigerian situation. A failed state at her best can only produce failed teams.
Re: When Will Our Eagles Be Super Again! by Katsumoto: 9:30pm On Jan 13, 2010
frenchman:

Your points are really valid, and i cannot agree with you more.
The football/sports situation is a subset of the Nigerian situation. A failed state at her best can only produce failed teams.

Correct
Why do you think Egypt is the most successful team in Africa? It is all about organisation, stability and infrastructure. The resurgence in Ghana is down stability.
Re: When Will Our Eagles Be Super Again! by platinumnk(f): 9:31pm On Jan 13, 2010
@topic - who says their eagles

I always though it was the super chickens undecided
Re: When Will Our Eagles Be Super Again! by freecocoa(f): 12:48pm On Jan 14, 2010
@ frenchnan u re more than correct.@ platinumk they were once super eagles u know but i guess they really deserve to be called chikens now,how the mighty have fallen.
Re: When Will Our Eagles Be Super Again! by frenchman(m): 5:12pm On Jan 14, 2010
The problem is not about a particular tribe, all the tribes in Nigeria contributed to the rot.
Is OBJ not a yoruba man?
Re: When Will Our Eagles Be Super Again! by Nobody: 6:47pm On Jan 15, 2010
Guys, replay SE in 1992 in Algeria. With Westerhof, Algeria hammered us 5-1 in the opening match, but the same team got to the final, narrowly losing to the hosts. I believe this team will reach the final.
Re: When Will Our Eagles Be Super Again! by MrCrackles(m): 6:48pm On Jan 15, 2010
Poster
Never again. . .Dont waste your time, switch your allegiance to Malawi!
Re: When Will Our Eagles Be Super Again! by mamagee3(f): 9:00pm On Jan 15, 2010
Supercows would remain the same, they ain't changing to some eagle.

(1) (Reply)

Bonus Credit On Deposit For World Cup Matches. / Mega Super "featherless" Chickens / Will Bafana Beat France Today? Considering The French Team Is In A Mess

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.