Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,354 members, 7,836,448 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 07:59 AM

Why Is It That 90% Of Cars For Sale On Nairaland Are Accident Cars! - Autos - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Autos / Why Is It That 90% Of Cars For Sale On Nairaland Are Accident Cars! (1608 Views)

List Of Cars For Sale (All Sold) / Direct Used Usa Cars For A Cheap And Affordable Rate! / Prices For Cars On Nairaland Are Exorbitant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Is It That 90% Of Cars For Sale On Nairaland Are Accident Cars! by jidewura(m): 12:44am On Jan 14, 2010
Dear NLanders, i am not sure if anyone els is concerned that almost all of the vehicles advertised for sale on Naira Land are accident vehicles with quite a few of them even total loss vehicles. WHile i accept that it is "buyers beware" I have seen some outright dishonesty in dealings such as refusing to post VIN numbers to posting incorrect Vin numbers ( i dare say one or two cases of stolen cares finding their ways unto the site!).

I am certain that this must have a link to the number of accidents on Nigerian roads.

Is there a need to have a subsection of the Auto section that caters for clean history cars only? your views please.

Jide
Re: Why Is It That 90% Of Cars For Sale On Nairaland Are Accident Cars! by ChiChi77: 2:17am On Jan 14, 2010
Hmmm, I know how to weed out accident/salvaged cars, but how do I know when a stolen car is being sold on NL, please tell me, I need to know.

Thanks.
Re: Why Is It That 90% Of Cars For Sale On Nairaland Are Accident Cars! by Fhemmmy: 5:04am On Jan 14, 2010
I must admit this is a great topic of discussion.

There is not excuse for anyone to sell a salvage without full disclosure to the buyer . . . . .such is a crime. . . .except if the seller dont know, which will be hard, cos we have enuf VIN Cops in the house to make sure such cases are guided against.

Stolen cars might be a little difficult to know, cos somtimes, it takes a while for the car to be reported stolen from other countries, and any buyer found selling those too must be dealt with, it is not nice and it is a crime, cos it is the buyer that will suffer the consequencies.

Now with all these been said, i think some of the buyers needs to get real, some demand from the buyers are just smply unrealistic, imagine someone asking for a 2004 toyota camry with full options for 1.2M Naira . . . . .i think people need to be educated about the cost of buying and shipping and clearing and hopefully they will not be making unfair demands.

Lastly, if people will stop buying those kinda rides, i am sure that people will stop selling them . . . if the price sounds too good to be true, then,something is fishy.

Remember, you get what you paid for. . . . . . .just my two cent
Re: Why Is It That 90% Of Cars For Sale On Nairaland Are Accident Cars! by Carshopper(m): 8:42am On Jan 14, 2010
Make I speak my mind to, Now most cars on nairaland could be termed damaged/salvaged but we also have to consider the fact most salvaged cars are SOLD at BELOW PRICES to NLers, Now it is not a crime to sell salvaged cars when FULL DISCLOSURE is given such as provision of CARFAX/AUTOCHECK and this MOST brokers/dealers give on Nairaland without hesitation. If you most crucify brokers/dealers then you must also speak about the pricing atitude of buyers on NL, even with a clean title vehicle they would still want to buy at a PRICE that would leave us wondering HOW COME. There is so much awareness from this site which gives buyers an edge but they should not ABUSE that edge.
Re: Why Is It That 90% Of Cars For Sale On Nairaland Are Accident Cars! by Piedpiper(m): 9:08am On Jan 14, 2010
Buy what you can afford and there will be no wahala. Cheap comes at a cost. My 20 kobo grin
Re: Why Is It That 90% Of Cars For Sale On Nairaland Are Accident Cars! by ChiChi77: 10:20am On Jan 14, 2010
If one buys an already shipped and cleared car from Tin Can without knowing that it was stolen, what happens to the new owner? Will they get arrested by British or American  or European police who may be still looking for the car? Can they even find a stolen car once it leaves their western soil?
Re: Why Is It That 90% Of Cars For Sale On Nairaland Are Accident Cars! by Fhemmmy: 4:42pm On Jan 14, 2010
Chi_Chi77:

If one buys an already shipped and cleared car from Tin Can without knowing that it was stolen, what happens to the new owner? Will they get arrested by British or American  or European police who may be still looking for the car? Can they even find a stolen car once it leaves their western soil?

If the cops in Nigeria found out it was stolen, it is like in America Ma, where you will be arrested for possession of stolen property, however, the difference is this:
Nija cops no care about the law, they could beat you into a coma, before they listen to you, while American Cop will investigate.
Nija Cops will impound the car off you.
If you cant get the person that you bought the car from, Na your loss.
Re: Why Is It That 90% Of Cars For Sale On Nairaland Are Accident Cars! by GeorgeD1(m): 7:31pm On Jan 14, 2010
i think jidewura is totally correct when he said majority of the cars being sold in nl are accidented, salvage/total loss. i've personally walked away from quite a couple of cars that were junk titles. and the astonishing aspect was that the sellers either were genuinely not aware or feined ignorance of this fact and insisted on selling then as clean tittles! but for my due dilligence helped of course by able chairman jenju and his assistant car fax expert biz books, i too would have fallen victim. the general warning here is not to take everything one sees on nl at face value.
sometimes i just laugh inwardly when people advertise cars as 'clean' using highly polished pictures of leather seats, dvd, the works. i say to myself "is the engine internals clean also? is the transmission clean? is the electrical system clean?" because at the end that is what will keep the car on the road and not the fancy cut and nail accessories used to sell the car! grin
Re: Why Is It That 90% Of Cars For Sale On Nairaland Are Accident Cars! by Mota1: 8:34pm On Jan 14, 2010
Carshopper:

Make I speak my mind to, Now most cars on nairaland could be termed damaged/salvaged but we also have to consider the fact most salvaged cars are SOLD at BELOW PRICES to NLers, Now it is not a crime to sell salvaged cars when FULL DISCLOSURE is given such as provision of CARFAX/AUTOCHECK and this MOST brokers/dealers give on Nairaland without hesitation. If you most crucify brokers/dealers then you must also speak about the pricing atitude of buyers on NL, even with a clean title vehicle they would still want to buy at a PRICE that would leave us wondering HOW COME. There is so much awareness from this site which gives buyers an edge but they should not ABUSE that edge.

You've said it all!
Re: Why Is It That 90% Of Cars For Sale On Nairaland Are Accident Cars! by Busybody2(f): 11:57pm On Jan 14, 2010
Surely this is a good cause worth backing, the only snag is that three valid issues/problems have been raised, and to decide where the root of the problem stems from and whose head should roll for this dilemma, methinks it is worthy of a poll as well as a campaign.

1) Should we demand Seun's head on a plate because his successful campaign to make sure all " tokunbo's" advertised on NL comes with the mandatory VIN number is not holding much water? Mind you, apart from the only person listed in the second point below, everyone else complies oh.

2) Should we pin the blame on the Moderator Monitor and campaign to get him impeached for his blatant partiality and for not doing a good enough job of making sure all car advert without a VIN number is pulled off NL, though to be fair on him, the only time he turns a blind eye to non-provision of VIN numbers is when the OP is Oyenit.

3) Should we pitch this campaign on the poor level of illiteracy and obvious ignorance of the customers - who despite the fact that the VIN numbers of cars advertised on NL have the autocheck or carfax done and those who have salvaged status are always highlighted in red, in the VIN sticky thread on the top of the autosection - still gullibly buy these cars? Surely its not fair on this ignoramus customers to have their naivety, illiteracy and ignorance preyed on in such manner? SURELY Justice has to be done?

HMMM, this na REALLY serious matter i tell ya, whadidoo, whadidoo, whadidoo. . .
Re: Why Is It That 90% Of Cars For Sale On Nairaland Are Accident Cars! by Phony200(m): 12:39am On Jan 15, 2010
Buyer's discretion is usually advised and full disclosure with experienced advice are usually called for in most occasions. WYBIWYG, what you BUY is what you get. It's the right of the seller to make a decent case, it's the buyer's right to make the proper decision.

Carshopper:

Finish!! I didn't know about VIN checks until I had to do business here. That said, the best deals are still found here as well as the most ignoramic buyers who would subtract 100k per Carfax issue.
Re: Why Is It That 90% Of Cars For Sale On Nairaland Are Accident Cars! by ChiChi77: 12:58am On Jan 15, 2010
Well, NL is still the best kept secret in buying cars, where Naija dealers go about doing their work diligently, which is rare cos most associate Naija with "419" and not many people can say they have been scammed by the top dealers here, if any.

So folks should read the VINS, what moderators can monitor is to make sure that fake VINs or wrong VINS don't get posted, and if they do, it gets deleted and the person who did so should get banned, cos that will be fraud.

I can't wait to get my car soon, and make my friends believers in NL Pre orders, cos they don't. They all still believe that pre ordering cars to Naija is a "419" scam and folks who claimed that it was done for them are part of the scam, to get others to be scamed.  tongue
Re: Why Is It That 90% Of Cars For Sale On Nairaland Are Accident Cars! by SoopaFly1: 2:07pm On Jan 15, 2010
Busy_body:

Surely this is a good cause worth backing, the only snag is that three valid issues/problems have been raised, and to decide where the root of the problem stems from and whose head should roll for this dilemma, methinks it is worthy of a poll as well as a campaign.

1) Should we demand Seun's head on a plate because his successful campaign to make sure all " tokunbo's" advertised on NL comes with the mandatory VIN number is not holding much water? Mind you, apart from the only person listed in the second point below, everyone else complies oh.

2) Should we pin the blame on the Moderator Monitor and campaign to get him impeached for his blatant partiality and for not doing a good enough job of making sure all car advert without a VIN number is pulled off NL, though to be fair on him, the only time he turns a blind eye to non-provision of VIN numbers is when the OP is Oyenit.

3) Should we pitch this campaign on the poor level of illiteracy and obvious ignorance of the customers - who despite the fact that the VIN numbers of cars advertised on NL have the autocheck or carfax done and those who have salvaged status are always highlighted in red, in the VIN sticky thread on the top of the autosection - still gullibly buy these cars? Surely its not fair on this ignoramus customers to have their naivety, illiteracy and ignorance preyed on in such manner? SURELY Justice has to be done?

HMMM, this na REALLY serious matter i tell ya, whadidoo, whadidoo, whadidoo. . .

What a very stupid cow! undecided Can you imagine the level of drivel this slowpoke scribbled down here? While everyposter is trying to post something intelligent to educate people on why these cars are mostly accidential cars, this contraption of a thing called busybody is abusing people here and yanning the height of opata here . . . psssfff!

What a retarded dense slowpoke undecided
Re: Why Is It That 90% Of Cars For Sale On Nairaland Are Accident Cars! by Emperoh(m): 2:20pm On Jan 15, 2010
OP

Ans: People want good but cheap things. . . . .ex. 2003 Toyota Camry full options 2.2M, 2007 Toyota Camry full options 2M?
He is most likely going to buy the 2007 model. . . . reason, regardless of whether its accidented or flooded, he want s to flex
I don't blame the person, i might also make that option too. . . . but, buyers should be realistic on prices

Per the advent or ur discovery of Nairaland, u are at the mercy of Berger Ikeja and Western Avenue dealers!!
Here, everything is censored and i bet can tell u that most of the things i know about cars was on this site!

So if you need something with a clean title, pls u should be ready to pay!!
Good soup na money make. . . . All men are equal not all cars!!
A 2005 Honda Accord with 50k miles will most certainly be more expensive than same car with 90k miles
So its wrong to try to compare the both price wise!!

Another idea, any car with below average mileage(average mileage in US is 10-15k per year), pls look deeper, it MIGHT be an accidented car!
Re: Why Is It That 90% Of Cars For Sale On Nairaland Are Accident Cars! by Fhemmmy: 2:57pm On Jan 15, 2010
The Emperor of the Emp land have spoken
Re: Why Is It That 90% Of Cars For Sale On Nairaland Are Accident Cars! by saheedcar: 5:38pm On Jan 15, 2010
Thanks Jide

I support your view. This people have started given Nigerian bad name.
Re: Why Is It That 90% Of Cars For Sale On Nairaland Are Accident Cars! by Nobody: 5:52pm On Jan 15, 2010
Emperor's view is seconded. Most people want Cheap cars and therefore end up shopping buying bad ones.
I think i will have to do Verification of such cars on my site before posting it. Anyone could fall in such a trap.
Re: Why Is It That 90% Of Cars For Sale On Nairaland Are Accident Cars! by GeorgeD1(m): 6:22pm On Jan 15, 2010
still, there is no justification for anyone to advertise salvage cars as clean tittles with the hope that
some gullible goon will fall for it.
as i speak there are still a couple of these cars on the site and you will know them because the
owners deliberately refuse to post their vins along with the glossy pictures!  grin
Re: Why Is It That 90% Of Cars For Sale On Nairaland Are Accident Cars! by Fhemmmy: 6:25pm On Jan 15, 2010
George_D:

still, there is no justification for anyone to advertise salvage cars as clean tittles with the hope that
some gullible goon will fall for it.
as i speak there are still a couple of these cars on the site and you will know them becuae the
owners deliberately refuse to post their vins along with the glossy pictures! grin

Has the dealers or the seller posted the cars as clean and said, no accident ever on those cars?
Has the dealers misrepresents or only decided not to give the VIN?

You are very right that no dealer should sell a bad car pretending to be clean and all that . . . but buyers, needs to be real as well.
What you pay for is what you get.
Re: Why Is It That 90% Of Cars For Sale On Nairaland Are Accident Cars! by GeorgeD1(m): 8:40pm On Jan 15, 2010
fhemmmy, when a seller advertises a suv at the price of one with a clean tittle and you call him up and
he tells you unequivocally that the car is clean even though he refuses to post the vin and later you
get hold of the vin and run a check on it and to your chagrin you discover it is a total loss/junk tittle,
what do you call that?
Re: Why Is It That 90% Of Cars For Sale On Nairaland Are Accident Cars! by Fhemmmy: 9:02pm On Jan 15, 2010
George_D:

fhemmmy, when a seller advertises a suv at the price of one with a clean tittle and you call him up and
he tells you unequivocally that the car is clean even though he refuses to post the vin and later you
get hold of the vin and run a check on it and to your chagrin you discover it is a total loss/junk tittle,
what do you call that?

I call that FRAUD . . . . . me no know oh
In that case, you have a point.
Re: Why Is It That 90% Of Cars For Sale On Nairaland Are Accident Cars! by Busybody2(f): 11:04pm On Jan 15, 2010
adam b aka super fly

I use self-deprecating humour, it flies over your head, now i am being sarcastic on this thread, it is going in one ear of yours and coming out of the other rightaway cos their's no brain to dissect the information, you used to be brilliant and astute,when did you become so dense? what happened? what went wrong?
Re: Why Is It That 90% Of Cars For Sale On Nairaland Are Accident Cars! by Busybody2(f): 11:50pm On Jan 15, 2010
Twas only last year that the owner of this website gave the patrons of this section the opportunity and the chance to have the last say with regards to this same VIN issue you are bleating about. And the general non-negotiable consensus was that all "tokunbo" cars advertised henceforth on Nairaland, listed the VIN number alongside their advert, AND THIS HAS BEEN THE NORM SINCE THEN.

The thread opened for this purpose is still stickied on the top of this page for all and sundry to peruse, although why the Moderator has been deleting a thread opened by the Administrator is beyond me - a subject for another day.

So IMHO, this thread is over a year too late.

In the case of George_D who alledgedly knows at least two adverts currently being advertised without a VIN number, the go ahead has been given by the owner of the website to continually harass the dealer until they play ball, sending that he could report said threads to the Moderator and if he fails to address the situation, he should be reported to the Owner Seun for his incompetence, shikena.
Re: Why Is It That 90% Of Cars For Sale On Nairaland Are Accident Cars! by Nobody: 9:51am On Jan 16, 2010
Well, me i believe it's left to the buyers discretion to decide what car he buys. Accidented or not. I mean there is little the Mod's can do about it. It is left to buyers to shop right.
Re: Why Is It That 90% Of Cars For Sale On Nairaland Are Accident Cars! by kanyenorth: 5:53am On Oct 29, 2019
Chima Arinze Automated Services Ltd
Phone: 0803 501 8807
Copart auction registered bidder in Lagos. I can help you buy an ship used cars from any where in the world.
Accident or brand new.
please feel free to contact me.

(1) (Reply)

2001 Nissan Quest N1.2 Million / 2003 Honda Pilot Ex: (with Dvd): 7 Seater / Just Arrived - Cotonou from 500,000

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.