Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,771 members, 7,809,972 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 06:03 PM

Why Tomatoes Are Always Expensive From May Till July And The Glut In August - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Why Tomatoes Are Always Expensive From May Till July And The Glut In August (29457 Views)

Glut In Egg Supply / 40 Cucumbers Per Plant And 12kg Tomatoes Per Plant / Should I Quit My Job And Start Farming Tomatoes? Advice Please (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Tomatoes Are Always Expensive From May Till July And The Glut In August by babablogger: 2:41pm On May 20, 2017
After Studying the Nigerian Vegetable(tomato) market for almost three years, i advice Nigerians in the south (south-west/south-east/south-south) to braze for impact, cause the price of tomato is about to skyrocket like never before.

Its obvious we depend on the north to provide us with most agric produce and the ones we produce in the south, cannot cover 1/4 of the market.

To the main reason why Tomato is expensive from End of May till July, the gluts that comes in august.

1) Why tomato is always expensive from the period may-July

As i stated earlier in my post, the north controls our stomach so from experience, and constant visit to the north especially areas

where tomatoes are farmed. I noticed when the rain is been expected almost everyone stops thinking about farming vegetables/tomatoes in

the north, they tend to focus more on cereals(maize, millet etc) which is less stressful, not knowing it will have a negative effect

on the market. Their belief is when its rainy season its time to plant maize which is also lucrative.

Tu ta-absoluta might also add as a catalyst to this but not withstanding even in the south we tend to farm other produce apart from veges during rainy season

(2) Glut in The Market By August

Well from my personal study when farmers, both professionals and newbies get to know price of tomatoes has gone up. They all sharpen
their hoes and cutlasses, then decide to load the market with tomatoes which by the time of harvest probably 90days everyone is harvesting. When supply exceeds demands well all know the price will fall there is no magic to it. We all know how perishable tomato is with little shelve like everyone just wants to get it off their hands and so therefore they sell at funny prices baskets of tomatoes that costs 25,000 naira in June will go for 3,000 naira or less. So there is no magic to the whole tomato issue if you plant now cause the price is high by the time of harvest it will be otherwise.

In few weeks the price will go higher and we keep blaming the government for our plight, we can solve our problems ourselves so
i believe we still have months ahead till the scarcity next year so as for this year BRAZE YOURSELVES.

29 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Why Tomatoes Are Always Expensive From May Till July And The Glut In August by Pavore9: 2:47pm On May 20, 2017
Timing is important.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Tomatoes Are Always Expensive From May Till July And The Glut In August by kingralph(m): 2:48pm On May 20, 2017
I now understand
Re: Why Tomatoes Are Always Expensive From May Till July And The Glut In August by kingralph(m): 2:48pm On May 20, 2017
kingralph:
I now understand

The best is also tear round irrigation

1 Like

Re: Why Tomatoes Are Always Expensive From May Till July And The Glut In August by baylord101(m): 3:35pm On May 20, 2017
Power & resources in North should not be underestimated

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Tomatoes Are Always Expensive From May Till July And The Glut In August by Christeety: 6:32pm On May 22, 2017
Pls is next week too late to start tomatoes farming?.
Thanks
Re: Why Tomatoes Are Always Expensive From May Till July And The Glut In August by Munzy14(m): 11:01pm On May 22, 2017
making sense.
Re: Why Tomatoes Are Always Expensive From May Till July And The Glut In August by TEMINIKANSOSO(m): 6:22am On May 23, 2017
You are right but irrigation is what will really need, south west''Ekiti'' experience shortage of rainfal this yr and its quite crazy cos even maize dint do well!!!
Re: Why Tomatoes Are Always Expensive From May Till July And The Glut In August by donkenny(m): 9:09pm On Jun 08, 2017
Nigeria is a joke
Re: Why Tomatoes Are Always Expensive From May Till July And The Glut In August by obembet(f): 9:10pm On Jun 08, 2017
This is the worse problem currently facing agriculture in the country: lack of preservative measures! This same quantity that sells for N300 will sell at N12,000 in the next 3 months when the rain starts. Isnt there a way to preserve the vegetable and make it available all round the year? Also read somewhere that 70% of those fruits and vegetables get spoilt before they are moved from the farms to the final consumer.

If only PHCN can assure us of at least 15hrs of light daily, wont mind processing one full basket and store in freezers awaiting the rainy season.

Oh, i forgot to mention, I love fresh tomato stew!

13 Likes

Re: Why Tomatoes Are Always Expensive From May Till July And The Glut In August by dessz(m): 9:11pm On Jun 08, 2017
p
Re: Why Tomatoes Are Always Expensive From May Till July And The Glut In August by Afam4eva(m): 9:11pm On Jun 08, 2017
It's already expensive.

2 Likes

Re: Why Tomatoes Are Always Expensive From May Till July And The Glut In August by NoToPile: 9:12pm On Jun 08, 2017
People don't know this, they were already turning one tomato thread to APC vs PDP

5 Likes

Re: Why Tomatoes Are Always Expensive From May Till July And The Glut In August by Desyner: 9:13pm On Jun 08, 2017
Nice piece. But why don't we have more people plant it in the south. That will reduce the transportation component of the cost.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Tomatoes Are Always Expensive From May Till July And The Glut In August by ikorodureporta: 9:13pm On Jun 08, 2017
Wey dem no dey preserve dem well
Re: Why Tomatoes Are Always Expensive From May Till July And The Glut In August by Nobody: 9:17pm On Jun 08, 2017
If you don't eat tomatoes, will you die?

3 Likes

Re: Why Tomatoes Are Always Expensive From May Till July And The Glut In August by demgo: 9:18pm On Jun 08, 2017
Christeety:
Pls is next week too late to start tomatoes farming?.
Thanks
NO
Re: Why Tomatoes Are Always Expensive From May Till July And The Glut In August by hisgrace090: 9:18pm On Jun 08, 2017
Raining season is never a good season for tomato survival.

2 Likes

Re: Why Tomatoes Are Always Expensive From May Till July And The Glut In August by procky(f): 9:21pm On Jun 08, 2017
planting tomatoes is not hard self. will turn my backyard to farm
A must watch Click the link on .my signature Watch the most Funniest Comedy Short film by two years old Hilarious actor.. He's soooo funny
Re: Why Tomatoes Are Always Expensive From May Till July And The Glut In August by mojojojo(m): 9:23pm On Jun 08, 2017
Tomatoes don't grow well in wet conditions. So during the rainy season farmers stand to loose their investment. It is also the reason why tomatoes are grown mostly in the North which has much less rainfall than the South.

9 Likes

Re: Why Tomatoes Are Always Expensive From May Till July And The Glut In August by Thegoodlord(m): 9:26pm On Jun 08, 2017
Tomatoes and rainy season are sworn enemies. No English will make Tomatoes grow during rainy season cos the lands are too wet and the roots won't hold.

4 Likes

Re: Why Tomatoes Are Always Expensive From May Till July And The Glut In August by obataokenwa(m): 9:26pm On Jun 08, 2017
My mum gave me the best answer ten years ago... see her reply why tomato is scarce....

"Tomatoes don't claim another person's child as his"

meaning... Tomatoes don't rely on rainy season for production. it grows during dry season

4 Likes

Re: Why Tomatoes Are Always Expensive From May Till July And The Glut In August by zarakay(f): 9:28pm On Jun 08, 2017
ohkay
Re: Why Tomatoes Are Always Expensive From May Till July And The Glut In August by babablogger: 9:28pm On Jun 08, 2017
Re: Why Tomatoes Are Always Expensive From May Till July And The Glut In August by AloyalNigerian(m): 9:31pm On Jun 08, 2017
donkenny:
Nigeria is a joke
I'm dissapointed in you.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Tomatoes Are Always Expensive From May Till July And The Glut In August by unitysheart(m): 9:36pm On Jun 08, 2017
It good for me. My wedding is in September.

1 Like

Re: Why Tomatoes Are Always Expensive From May Till July And The Glut In August by 2osta(m): 9:37pm On Jun 08, 2017
Well said brother, it is all about the condition/season. Tomatoes need much sunlight for it to do well.
mojojojo:
Tomatoes don't grow well in wet conditions. So during the rainy season farmers stand to loose their investment. It is also the reason why tomatoes are grown mostly in the North which has much less rainfall than the South.
Re: Why Tomatoes Are Always Expensive From May Till July And The Glut In August by Nobody: 9:45pm On Jun 08, 2017
I planted tomatoes in my backyard since March, still expecting yields. How long does it take sef?

Okra is doing very very well
Re: Why Tomatoes Are Always Expensive From May Till July And The Glut In August by JORDAN202: 9:45pm On Jun 08, 2017
IF TOMATOES WILL BE EXPENSIVE BETWEEN MAY TO JULY, WHY CAN'T NIGERIANS GO ON HUNGER STRIKE IN OTHER TO TEACH THE GOVERNMENT A BIG LESSON ?

JUST IMAGINE HOW WORRIED THE POLITICIANS WILL BE IF EVERYONE IS ON HUNGER STRIKE.

TOO MANY GOODS WILL OCCASION A FALL IN DEMAND THEREBY CRASHING PRICES OF COMMODITIES.

WHEN THE WORKERS ARE TOO WEAK TO GO TO WORK, THEIR BOSSES WILL SUFFER,

MAINWHILE, I WILL BE IN MY VILLAGE ROASTING THE FRESH FISH THEY CAUGHT FOR ME LIVE !

DURING THE HUNGER STRIKE, PLEASE DO NOT COME TO MY VILLAGE....................

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Tomatoes Are Always Expensive From May Till July And The Glut In August by MTHBOSS(m): 9:45pm On Jun 08, 2017
The solution is simple, let government that is indirectly informing people to go back to AGRICULTURE assist in some little way (I mean let their support be evenly distributed), and see how Nigeria will once again enjoy surplus , quality, and lasting agricultural produce.
Re: Why Tomatoes Are Always Expensive From May Till July And The Glut In August by CarlosTheJackal: 9:49pm On Jun 08, 2017
procky:
planting tomatoes is not hard self. will turn my backyard to farm

A must watch
Click the link on .my signature
Watch the most Funniest Comedy Short film by two
years old Hilarious actor.. He's soooo funny
Are you sure you are okay posting this nonsense in every thread.

Go and buy advert from Seun and stop spamming with that nonsense stuff

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Badagry Farmers Dance While Hanging On Bamboo Stick (Photos, Video) / What Is Nigeria's Biggest Agricultural Export Now? / Green House Farming

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.