Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,963 members, 7,863,421 topics. Date: Monday, 17 June 2024 at 05:28 PM

Nigerian Banks Are Not Creating Wealth, Says Umahi - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigerian Banks Are Not Creating Wealth, Says Umahi (530 Views)

BREAKING!!! Coronavirus Patient Dies In Ebonyi State; Says Umahi / Boundary Disputes May Cause War Between Ebonyi, Cross River, Says Umahi / Obasanjo At Zik Prize For Leadership, Says Umahi Is An Achiever (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerian Banks Are Not Creating Wealth, Says Umahi by edunwablog: 5:29am On May 21, 2017
Governor David Umahi of Ebonyi State has challenged banks in Nigeria to create wealth instead of degenerating into only issues of depositing money in the banks.
Umahi made his feelings known during an interactive meeting he had with CBN Financial inclusion strategy Implementation team at the Government House, Abakaliki on Thursday.

The governor, who was visibly unhappy over the bottlenecks and attitudes of some banks towards granting loans to farmers, called on the CBN to assist Ebonyi State attain its agricultural potential.“We will not welcome you again unless you take positive steps to help our state. This state is not wealthy in spite of the fact that we were the first to give palm and cement to the country. But now, how many Federal projects are ongoing in this state? So, you have to help us,” he said in a statement on Friday by his Chief Press Secretary, Emma Anya.
He added, “Banks generally have degenerated to the issue of depositing money. Banks are not creating wealth in Nigeria. Can’t banks come out with programmes that create wealth amongst the people? Let me give you an example. A bank can say, ‘give me 13 people from Ebonyi State that we can take to China to learn how to make shoes and clothes.’ When such people return, you can then give them N5m each to buy equipment and start production. Such people can start paying back with time, but regrettably, banks are not doing so. They are just chasing deposits.”

Umahi said now was the time for banks to start investing in people and help governments to tap their natural resources.“We must invest in our people. Look at solid minerals scattered everywhere in Ebonyi State. We are sitting on money and banks have to come and help us exploit our God-given resources.”
more at http://www.akelicious.com/2017/05/nigerian-banks-are-not-creating-wealth.html?m=1

Re: Nigerian Banks Are Not Creating Wealth, Says Umahi by ironheart(m): 7:00am On May 21, 2017
Mr governor now you are talking. The national assembly need to think the way you just did
Re: Nigerian Banks Are Not Creating Wealth, Says Umahi by Amberon: 7:09am On May 21, 2017
My neighbor that year
Re: Nigerian Banks Are Not Creating Wealth, Says Umahi by ProjectNaija(m): 2:14pm On May 21, 2017
The governor is obviously deluded as to his own responsibilties. It is the govvernment's job to empower the people and not the banks that are profit oriented business enterprises. Why can't the governor send his people to China to learn how to make shoes? Why is he pushing his responsibility to the banks?

I am not trying to exonerate the banks who I believe are not doing enough to support local businesses but our so clled leaders should learn to take their responsibilities seriously and not push it on others.
Re: Nigerian Banks Are Not Creating Wealth, Says Umahi by bennyann: 3:06pm On May 21, 2017
The example he gave seem to be the duty of the government.

Why don't we also look at it this way, if the government should treat the banks nicely, they might then remember how to impact wealth into the people without anyone reminding them.
Re: Nigerian Banks Are Not Creating Wealth, Says Umahi by Nobody: 3:10pm On May 21, 2017
How many wealth has this drunkard created in Ebonyi?
Re: Nigerian Banks Are Not Creating Wealth, Says Umahi by lockupnop: 3:21pm On May 21, 2017
He is right and this is not limited to banks alone. All other multinational companies must follow all of them are just milking Nigeria ...All they know is share holders meeting ..Corporate vagabonds angry I blame those our messangers who we employed to do the job everything in Nigeria is sick
Re: Nigerian Banks Are Not Creating Wealth, Says Umahi by oduastates: 3:25pm On May 21, 2017
True though.
Nigerian banks are useless

(1) (Reply)

See Why The Biafran Agitation Will Not Stop (my View) / Igbos And Other Nigerians: The Truth Always Stands The Test Of Time / Northern Politicians Have Made A Hell Of Their Fellow Northerners!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.