Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,191 members, 7,818,620 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 08:03 PM

Throwback: Wedding Procession In Bonny In 1900 - Events (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Events / Throwback: Wedding Procession In Bonny In 1900 (34794 Views)

Groom Carries Bride On Bike As They Go Home After Their Wedding In Bonny Island / Hausa Marriage Procession Dance (Video) / Female Mourner Twerks On Top Of A Casket During Funeral Procession (video) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Throwback: Wedding Procession In Bonny In 1900 by PeaceGord: 9:07am On May 22, 2017
nengibo:

You are ignorant, maybe your ppl were naked but not the Ijaws, dey wer fully clothed before the 1800's

Must you abuse me b4 you make sense?
Re: Throwback: Wedding Procession In Bonny In 1900 by deskossy(m): 9:10am On May 22, 2017
Liar... more like 1950s...even 1900 white men dressed like peasants
Re: Throwback: Wedding Procession In Bonny In 1900 by Oselu28(f): 9:14am On May 22, 2017
Soulsymbol99:
All d people in dat pix r probably dead grin

exactly the first thing that came to my mind when I saw the pix....May God forgive me
Re: Throwback: Wedding Procession In Bonny In 1900 by 1shortblackboy: 9:33am On May 22, 2017
deskossy:
Liar... more like 1950s...even 1900 white men dressed like peasants
all of you saying this cant be 1900 are obviously not conversant with the history off the Niger delta and its a shame

2 Likes

Re: Throwback: Wedding Procession In Bonny In 1900 by AreaFada2: 9:38am On May 22, 2017
Sparkle777:
Am impressed that they dress this well.

Not surprising at all. In the 1600s & 1700s, several Nigerian tribes were making good fabrics already.

When Queen Anna Nzinga, also known as Njinga Mbande or Ana de Sousa (of modern day Angola) died on 17th December 1663, on her burial that followed, the Portuguese carefully recorded the precious objects buried with her. Among them were gold, silver, cloth imported from Benin Empire and other valuables.

Slaves taken to the Americas, many were already experienced cotton growers at home. They just took the skills into slavery, same with rice growing.

2 Likes

Re: Throwback: Wedding Procession In Bonny In 1900 by pesoXL(m): 9:43am On May 22, 2017
Thepasserby:
Copied from palmchat

www.palmchatnow.com

still goes on till today. I can vouch for Arochukwu. The procession is always a bigger party than this. They go all the way up to the bride's village.
Re: Throwback: Wedding Procession In Bonny In 1900 by Nobody: 9:45am On May 22, 2017
Bonny is something else now oo... With the wealth and babes with heavy behind in that town cheesy
Re: Throwback: Wedding Procession In Bonny In 1900 by nengibo: 9:46am On May 22, 2017
PeaceGord:

Must you abuse me b4 you make sense?
Saying dat the entire southern Nigeria was unclad in 1900s isnt an insult?

1 Like

Re: Throwback: Wedding Procession In Bonny In 1900 by fungle(m): 9:53am On May 22, 2017
Soulsymbol99:
All d people in dat pix r probably dead grin
Did u say probably. They are all most certainly dead by now. Reminds of the midnight mass that i attended on the night of turn of the new 2000 millenium. i just looked around the whole church with people filled in it. it struck me that all these people sitting in this church that night will have gone into the grave by the year 3000. imagne all that people in the six feet under. it wowed me.
Re: Throwback: Wedding Procession In Bonny In 1900 by airex(m): 10:20am On May 22, 2017
Larryfest:
In the days of the old when there's still dignity in marriage ceremonies and not all this pre wedding jagons we see now...
Hopefully you will be involved in the jargon sooner or later.
Re: Throwback: Wedding Procession In Bonny In 1900 by HarryDuce(m): 10:37am On May 22, 2017
Businessideas:

You obviously don't think people are fools. Go and read about history and how historical facts are established.This picture is nothing but a mockery and aimed at embarrassing the Bonny people as cheats
You should do the reading instead. Its obvious you know nothing about the Bonny you speak of. There is nothing for me to prove.

And how does it mock them? I don't understand. Elaborate on that please.
Re: Throwback: Wedding Procession In Bonny In 1900 by factwriter(m): 11:11am On May 22, 2017
Slurity:
TRY AND IMAGING WHERE THOSE IN THE PICTURE WILL BE NOW. THAT IS WHAT WILL STILL HAPPEN TO US ALL

...if (and only if) you make it far enough.
Re: Throwback: Wedding Procession In Bonny In 1900 by Businessideas: 11:22am On May 22, 2017
HarryDuce:
You should do the reading instead. Its obvious you know nothing about the Bonny you speak of. There is nothing for me to prove.

And how does it mock them? I don't understand. Elaborate on that please.
Go and read how the authenticity of historical exhibits are established. I have been to and lived in the place and Nembe(the two Nembes) and even Agrisaba,Okoroma etc this nonsense trash being promoted is not any way near their development as at 1900. Even Abeokuta,Badagry or Benin that have authentic historical facts and evidences will not brazenly call this picture as 1900.
The joke is on the Bonny people if they think anyone would take them serious by promoting this absurdity.
Re: Throwback: Wedding Procession In Bonny In 1900 by sapele914(m): 11:50am On May 22, 2017
Larryfest:
In the days of the old when there's still dignity in marriage ceremonies and not all this pre wedding jagons we see now...
The photograph probably archived by the British,good Nigerian history in photo then some nitwits would say Nigeria should divide ?sorry for you failures living in an illusion.
Re: Throwback: Wedding Procession In Bonny In 1900 by Oches4me(m): 12:06pm On May 22, 2017
am now Christians celebrate and promote nudity, and any woman that covers herself will be insulted.
Re: Throwback: Wedding Procession In Bonny In 1900 by sapele914(m): 12:06pm On May 22, 2017
PeaceGord:

You're smart.

By 1900 almost half of Southern Nigeria were naked. And wore less embroidery during events like this.

I can't see any males with naked chest.

Nkea bu okwu asi kpu oku n'onu!
Na were short man hang em pant na their em hand reach,ignorance is not an excuse that is our problem we do not know our history in Nigeria maybe bishop ajayi crowther was preaching without clothes?can somebody please tell this dummy how long Nigeria has been dealing with the British? after slavery did they not bring a lot of the slaves back to the Bight of Benin and Bight of Bonny (Southern Nigeria) before the amalgamation with the North or you think it is every black person that wanted to remain in the Americas?did you not go to a good secondary school,don't you know the history,Ovoranmen of The Great Benin Kingdom and his encounter with the British forces?If you had a better sense of Nigeria's history you would learn to appreciate her more,it is who we are,don't blame anyone for your shortcomings in Nigeria we were all born equal,President Buhari's father did not make him President of Nigeria,he worked to get there it wasn't given to him on a platter,he made a name for himself,don't hate the player, hate the game.
Re: Throwback: Wedding Procession In Bonny In 1900 by Kcosmos: 12:10pm On May 22, 2017
where is the bride and groom.....?
Re: Throwback: Wedding Procession In Bonny In 1900 by sweetilicious(f): 1:12pm On May 22, 2017
Davash222:
Look more like people at the Polling Unit.
You are not serious
Re: Throwback: Wedding Procession In Bonny In 1900 by PeaceGord: 3:38pm On May 22, 2017
sapele914:
Na were short man hang em pant na their em hand reach,ignorance is not an excuse that is our problem we do not know our history in Nigeria maybe bishop ajayi crowther was preaching without clothes?can somebody please tell this dummy how long Nigeria has been dealing with the British? after slavery did they not bring a lot of the slaves back to the Bight of Benin and Bight of Bonny (Southern Nigeria) before the amalgamation with the North or you think it is every black person that wanted to remain in the Americas?did you not go to a good secondary school,don't you know the history,Ovoranmen of The Great Benin Kingdom and his encounter with the British forces?If you had a better sense of Nigeria's history you would learn to appreciate her more,it is who we are,don't blame anyone for your shortcomings in Nigeria we were all born equal,President Buhari's father did not make him President of Nigeria,he worked to get there it wasn't given to him on a platter,he made a name for himself,don't hate the player, hate the game.

Ibu aturu nwuru anwu
Re: Throwback: Wedding Procession In Bonny In 1900 by RobbStark(m): 4:08pm On May 22, 2017
Businessideas:

This is not 1900. Stop all these lies online!!!

Go and read how the authenticity of historical exhibits are established. I have been to and lived in the place and Nembe(the two Nembes) and even Agrisaba,Okoroma etc this nonsense trash being promoted is not any way near their development as at 1900. Even Abeokuta,Badagry or Benin that have authentic historical facts and evidences will not brazenly call this picture as 1900.
The joke is on the Bonny people if they think anyone would take them serious by promoting this absurdity.

Calm down. Dont be pained
Re: Throwback: Wedding Procession In Bonny In 1900 by Businessideas: 5:31pm On May 22, 2017
RobbStark:

Calm down. Dont be pained
I am pained by the audacity of the lie.Haba!!!
How did we get to this point as a people who lie on almost everything from election into history! shocked
The claim that the picture was taken in 1900 is nothing but a fraud!
Re: Throwback: Wedding Procession In Bonny In 1900 by Sparkle777(f): 9:42pm On May 22, 2017
AreaFada2:

Not surprising at all. In the 1600s & 1700s, several Nigerian tribes were making good fabrics already.

When Queen Anna Nzinga, also known as Njinga Mbande or Ana de Sousa (of modern day Angola) died on 17th December 1663, on her burial that followed, the Portuguese carefully recorded the precious objects buried with her. Among them were gold, silver, cloth imported from Benin Empire) and other valuables.

Slaves taken to the Americas, many were already experienced cotton growers at home. They just took the skills into slavery, same with rice growing.

Hmmm, then how come I watched an old film in National Archive Enugu about my home town. Only to see them, practically naked.
Re: Throwback: Wedding Procession In Bonny In 1900 by AreaFada2: 9:50pm On May 22, 2017
Sparkle777:

Hmmm, then how come I watched an old film in National Archive Enugu about my home town. Only to see them, practically naked.
Not everybody was rich enough to afford clothing for their many kids. Also practices differ in places. We still have portrait of Benin made by the Portuguese and Dutch people centuries ago. There were no stark naked people. Of course there may have been in villages.

Remember Europeans sometimes deliberately record things unusual to them. Often the worst we had to offer wherever they could find it.

Today people in the West still see Africa through the lens of charity films on TV begging for money for victims of famine war, diseases, etc.
Re: Throwback: Wedding Procession In Bonny In 1900 by Sparkle777(f): 9:56pm On May 22, 2017
AreaFada2:

Not everybody was rich enough to afford clothing for their many kids. Also practices differ in places. We still have portrait of Benin made by the Portuguese and Dutch people centuries ago. There were no stark naked people. Of course there may have been in villages.

Remember Europeans sometimes deliberately record things unusual to them. Often the worst we had to offer wherever they could find it.

Today people in the West still see Africa through the lens of charity films in TV begging for money for victims of famine war, diseases, etc.

Thanks, u re right. Wats ur major as u seem quite well versed.
Re: Throwback: Wedding Procession In Bonny In 1900 by AreaFada2: 10:02pm On May 22, 2017
Sparkle777:

Thanks, u re right. Wats ur major as u seem quite well versed.
Thanks. Learning everyday. Varied my dear. Though not history or arts primarily.
Re: Throwback: Wedding Procession In Bonny In 1900 by Sparkle777(f): 10:09pm On May 22, 2017
AreaFada2:

Thanks. Learning everyday. Varied my dear. Though not history or arts primarily.

Okay, nice meeting u.
Re: Throwback: Wedding Procession In Bonny In 1900 by AreaFada2: 10:33pm On May 22, 2017
Sparkle777:

Okay, nice meeting u.

Likewise miss.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Weird Wedding Day Stories In Nigeria!! / Colourful World Of More Concert On November 3, 2013 / Aso-ebi Palaver: See What The High Cost Of Being A Bridesmaid Has Caused

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.