Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,619 members, 7,955,276 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 09:14 PM

Types Of Traffic Calming Devices In Nigeria - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Types Of Traffic Calming Devices In Nigeria (7875 Views)

Mercedes Spies On Drivers By Installing "Big Brother" Tracking Devices In Cars / Types Of Cars According To Their Body Style / This Bicycle Can Be Folded, Charged And Be Used To Charge Other Devices (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Types Of Traffic Calming Devices In Nigeria by obafemee80(m): 12:02am On May 22, 2017

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMlim9QVeTY

Speed bumps,speed humps and speed tables are among many types of “traffic calming” measures used to slow or reduce traffic in order to enhance safety for pedestrians and motorists.
Speed bumps are applications, usually asphalt, that are from two to six inches high and one to three feet from front to back.

Speed humps are usually less than four inches high but 10 to 12 feet from front to back.

A third version of this type of traffic calming measure is known as a speed table, which is about the same height as a speed hump but considerably longer to accommodate a long flat surface and sloping ramps from street level to the table.

[img]http:///a/img924/9720/BvpHrl.jpg[/img]

Speed Humps

(Can be found on Lagos roads)
Speed humps are raised devices, parabolic in shape, placed across the road to slow traffic. The sloped design over a 7 or 14 foot length of space encourages cars to slow down without coming to a halt.

[img]http:///a/img923/4692/lu3FQR.jpg[/img]

[img]http:///a/img923/39/uqYItS.jpg[/img]

Speed humps are generally used for three purposes:
(1) increasing the safety of residential streets, (2) improving the environmental quality of residential neighborhoods, and
(3) improving traffic flow throughout a residential area.

They:
• Are a gradual raised area in the pavement surface extending across the entire
travel width
• Typically, 3½ inches in height with a
travel length of 10-12 feet
• Have evolved from extensive research
& testing
• Create a gentle vehicle rocking motion
which results in most vehicles slowing
to 15 -20 mph at each hump and 25 to
30 mph between properly spaced
humps in a system
• They are painted to identify a vertical
change in the road.
• Effective at controlling speeds without creating accidents or imposing.
unreasonable or unacceptable safety risks
• Either permanent bituminous ones or portable rubber ones can be installed---
there are pros and cons to each type
• Can be utilized as a raised crosswalk as well(e.g the type in Eric Moore,suru-lere)

Speed Tables

Speed tables are flat-topped speed humps with room for the entire wheelbase of a passenger car to rest on top.
The flat top design allows cars to maintain slightly higher speeds than they would on speed humps, slowing vehicles to estimated speeds of 20-25 mph.
This makes speed tables the ideal solution for roads with typical residential speed limits
Pics below:

Re: Types Of Traffic Calming Devices In Nigeria by obafemee80(m): 12:03am On May 22, 2017
Speed Bumps (made from Asphalt and Rubber)

Bumps(the worst)commonly found on Nigerian roads,are rounded and short, less than a foot long, and used when traffic speed needs to be slowed nearly to a halt.

[img]http:///a/img924/8554/dm87eq.jpg[/img]

[img]http:///a/img923/3402/hMzJUZ.jpg[/img]

[img]http:///a/img924/9799/gWswh8.jpg[/img]

They:
• Are an abrupt raised area in the
pavement surface
• Effective at controlling speeds on low
volume private driveways and parking
lots
• Typically, 3 to 6 inches in height with
a travel length of 6 in. to 3 ft
• Cause significant driver discomfort at
typical residential speeds\
• Cause vehicles to slow to 5 mph or
less at the bump
• Considered an increased liability risk
on public roads
• Truck, emergency response, cargo and bus passengers more likely to be affected
• Maintenance headaches especially for plow trucks

Here is a list containing the top ten problems with speed bumps:

*They are detrimental to the environment, increasing pollution by forcing cars to slow well below the speed limit and then accelerate away.

*They increase noise levels where they are implemented. Not just by engine and brake noise from people slowing down and speeding up, but also from trucks and lorries carrying loads that get bounced around.

*They cause damage to vehicles, particularly sports cars (even at low speed).

*They slow the response times of emergency vehicles.

*They cause discomfort and back injury to drivers and passengers.

*They often divert traffic to alternative residential streets.

They cost drivers money by using more petrol and brake pads in addition to the damage caused to suspension, oil sumps and exhausts etc. This often makes cars more dangerous.

http://www.stmarysmd.com/docs/speedbumpsvshumps.pdf

http://trafficlogix.com/

Pics credits:Google.com

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Types Of Traffic Calming Devices In Nigeria by diportivo: 6:30am On May 22, 2017
nice one op

in naija,add the following...

police

these ones are usually stationed few kilometres apart especially when the dpo/area commander is hungry.

FRSC

federal road these ones hold it down..carry load and u r in for a long lecture on how you have overloaded your car....load ranges from heavy duties like sand,gravel etc to lay lowers like mattress and bread grin

revenue collectors

these ones,apart from being speed humps by their actions, they also have spikes for physical speed limiting

for whatever category of vehicle u av,there's a corresponding spike for your tyres

armed robbers

these ones Ehn lipsrsealed

21 Likes

Re: Types Of Traffic Calming Devices In Nigeria by GAZZUZZ(m): 7:13am On May 22, 2017
diportivo:
nice one op

police

these ones are usually stationed few kilometres apart especially when the dpo/area commander is hungry.

FRSC

federal road these ones hold it down..carry load and u r in for a long lecture on how you have overloaded your car....load ranges from heavy duties like sand,gravel etc to lay lowers like mattress and bread grin

revenue collectors

these ones,apart from being speed humps by their actions, they also have spikes for physical speed limiting

for whatever category of vehicle u av,there's a corresponding spike for your tyres

armed robbers

3 Likes

Re: Types Of Traffic Calming Devices In Nigeria by Ezedon(m): 7:20am On May 22, 2017
The last pix is what I see everywhere
Re: Types Of Traffic Calming Devices In Nigeria by DollarAngel(m): 7:21am On May 22, 2017
Nice One
Re: Types Of Traffic Calming Devices In Nigeria by virus05(m): 7:21am On May 22, 2017
Unah don open??

2 Likes

Re: Types Of Traffic Calming Devices In Nigeria by Nobody: 7:22am On May 22, 2017
The ones in my area are speed mountains. They are so high that when you ride a bike it becomes a nightmare. Your _boobs bounce like table tennis and you have to support them with each bounce so that your bra straps don't snap. Mine snapped once and then I had to go home with one _breast facing heaven, the other facing earth at angle 160.

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: Types Of Traffic Calming Devices In Nigeria by Alitair(m): 7:23am On May 22, 2017
What about the major one on all naija roads... Potholes and bad roads?

1 Like

Re: Types Of Traffic Calming Devices In Nigeria by adaksbullet: 7:23am On May 22, 2017
While we I wait on speed bomb when am use land cruser undecided undecided

These ur tread his only apply too small small carses undecided
Re: Types Of Traffic Calming Devices In Nigeria by b3llo(m): 7:23am On May 22, 2017
Pot holes
Re: Types Of Traffic Calming Devices In Nigeria by Turks: 7:24am On May 22, 2017
you don't need any law enforcement agent to tell you to slow down when you see these lying ahead. grin

4 Likes

Re: Types Of Traffic Calming Devices In Nigeria by kulikuli45: 7:26am On May 22, 2017
diportivo:
nice one op

police

FRSC

revenue collectors

armed robbers

Revenue collectors are worse than Police

2 Likes

Re: Types Of Traffic Calming Devices In Nigeria by faruz: 7:26am On May 22, 2017
angry
Re: Types Of Traffic Calming Devices In Nigeria by PearlStreet(m): 7:27am On May 22, 2017
adaksbullet:

This your speech bomb can slow down traffic on nairaland.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Types Of Traffic Calming Devices In Nigeria by Nobody: 7:27am On May 22, 2017
whats the essence of the topic?
Re: Types Of Traffic Calming Devices In Nigeria by HomesOfLife(m): 7:27am On May 22, 2017
smiley
Re: Types Of Traffic Calming Devices In Nigeria by Nobody: 7:29am On May 22, 2017
Alitair:
What about the major one on all naija roads... Potholes and bad roads?
Those ones are Natural speed craters
Re: Types Of Traffic Calming Devices In Nigeria by adaksbullet: 7:30am On May 22, 2017
PearlStreet:

This your speech bomb can slow down traffic on nairaland.
undecided

Re: Types Of Traffic Calming Devices In Nigeria by dheespectre: 7:30am On May 22, 2017
h
Re: Types Of Traffic Calming Devices In Nigeria by Chuukwudi(m): 7:33am On May 22, 2017
Ok
Re: Types Of Traffic Calming Devices In Nigeria by Dandsome: 7:54am On May 22, 2017
Okay, but you never meet all those bike men that will give small boys money to go and crack the edge of the speed bump at night. Reason is so that they can use that part to speed without being obstructed by the speed bump

1 Like

Re: Types Of Traffic Calming Devices In Nigeria by lifezone247(m): 8:33am On May 22, 2017
adaksbullet:

english catch fire.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Types Of Traffic Calming Devices In Nigeria by RealHaute: 8:43am On May 22, 2017
SarahBonetta:
The ones in my area are speed mountains. They are so high that when you ride a bike it becomes a nightmare. Your _boobs bounce like table tennis and you have to support them with each bounce so that your bra straps don't snap. Mine snapped once and then I had to go home with one _breast facing heaven, the other facing earth at angle 160.

OMG!
Re: Types Of Traffic Calming Devices In Nigeria by IdeyVex1(m): 9:40am On May 22, 2017
SarahBonetta:

@SarahBonetta: after reading your post, I had to check out your profile to see the size of ya boobs. unfortunately, there is no pic to support your assertion so I do not know if you have boobs that will make a bra strap to snap. And boobs facing earth at angle 160? That boob needs a lift!
Re: Types Of Traffic Calming Devices In Nigeria by Nobody: 10:06am On May 22, 2017
IdeyVex1:

@SarahBonetta: after reading your post, I had to check out your profile to see the size of ya boobs. unfortunately, there is no pic to support your assertion so I do not know if you have boobs that will make a bra strap to snap. And boobs facing earth at angle 160? That boob needs a lift!
Oya com and lift it for me na, or don't you know not all boobs are naturally perky?
Re: Types Of Traffic Calming Devices In Nigeria by judgedredd22(m): 10:29am On May 22, 2017
SarahBonetta:

1 Like

Re: Types Of Traffic Calming Devices In Nigeria by m003: 1:25pm On May 22, 2017
IdeyVex1:

weh don Sir

Re: Types Of Traffic Calming Devices In Nigeria by cyborg123(m): 9:34pm On Jun 03, 2017
grin

(1) (Reply)

Nigerian Automakers Struggle With Electric Vehicle Evolution / ... / My Clutch Pedal Keep Going Flat Every Morning

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.