Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,753 members, 7,809,890 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 04:38 PM

Flashback: I Will Not Negotiate With Ghosts - Gej - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Flashback: I Will Not Negotiate With Ghosts - Gej (508 Views)

Flashback: I Removed The Roof Of Edo Assembly To Survive Impeachment. Oshiomole / Why FG Could Not Negotiate With Boko Haram To Put End To Terrorism? / We Will Not Negotiate With Terror Group Like IPOB-FG (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Flashback: I Will Not Negotiate With Ghosts - Gej by BlowBack: 8:21am On May 22, 2017
As the APC justifies negotiating a prisoner swap of Boko Commanders captured by the last administration complete with a generous ransom in exchange of what they want to describe as the missing Chibok girls, I will like to post here the hard line the GEJ administration towed in dealing with Boko Haram.

After this pronouncement, powerful northern elements backed by the criminal Obama administration hatched the greatest lie known as the Chibok girls abduction to force the GEJ administration to re-open negotiations with the evil sect.

Boko Haram: No amnesty for ghosts, says Jonathan
Posted By: Duku Joel On: March 8, 2013 In: Featured, News
98 Comments image_print

Proponents of amnesty for Boko Haram members got a piece of bad news yesterday.

President Goodluck Jonathan said the government would not give amnesty to “ghosts”.

The issue cannot be discussed, for now, he said emphatically.

Dr. Jonathan spoke in Damaturu, the Yobe State capital, on the first leg of his visit to the twin states of Borno and Yobe – epicentre of Boko Haram insurgency.

The government, he said, cannot grant amnesty to “ghosts”, adding that there is no parallel between the Boko Harma insurgency and the militancy in the Niger Delta, which was tackled with amnesty programme by the Yar’Adua administration when he was vice president.

The Sultan of Sokoto, Alhaji Sa’ad Abubakar, and a committee of the North’s elders set up by the Northern Governors have urged the President to grant amnesty to the sect’s members to end the insurgency and killings being carried out by the sect.

No fewer than 1,000 people are believed to have been killed by the sect, in addition to paralysing the economies of the two states.

The President denied that he had deliberately refused to visit Yobe and Borno states.

He met with stakeholders in a Town Hall Meeting at the Wawa Hall of the Government House in Damaturu, saying he does not discriminate against any section of the country.

He said: “Even the media said the President was going to Yobe to declare amnesty… you cannot declare amnesty for ghosts. Boko Haram is still operating as ghosts. You don’t see the person. I am from the Niger Delta and I know the amnesty issue of the Niger Delta. Some of these names you hear- Asari Dokubo, Tom Ateke – I never knew them before, until when I was a deputy governor and went to Abuja for a meeting with President Olusegun Obasanjo at the villa. I never knew them, even though I’m from Bayelsa State, the hotbed of the militancy at the time.

“What I am saying is that in the Niger Delta, if you call them, they will come and tell you their grievances, whether rightly or wrongly, but they will be there to tell you that this is what we want and this is why we are doing this.

“But the Boko Haram, you don’t see anybody who says he is a Boko Haram (member). As such, you cannot declare amnesty. For you to declare amnesty, you have to be communicating with people. You cannot declare amnesty for people that are operating under a veil, so we cannot even discuss the issue of amnesty.

“Let them come, let us discuss how we solve the problem. If amnesty will solve the problem, no problem about it. We can define what the amnesty is. I say so because even the Niger Delta amnesty was poorly managed with a lot of challenges. If I were not from the Niger Delta, the whole thing would have been disastrous by now because of the way it was poorly managed,” the President said.

Explaining his inability to visit Yobe until yesterday the President said: “I would have visited Yobe State long ago and even Borno State much much earlier. You can ask Col. Sambo Dasuki, the National Security Adviser (NSA) even before he took over, I said ‘look, we must go to these states’. When he (the NSA) took over, I had no time and he had to rush on a visit not quite one week after he assumed office.

“My visit is to re-assure the people of Yobe that there is no difference between the Federal Government and any other part of the country. There are some kinds of insinuations that President doesn’t want to go to the northeast.

“Following the crisis of Boko Haram, I visited two states outside those incidents that happened in Abuja. When the police headquarters was bombed, I had to go there. When the United Nations (UN) building was bombed, I visited and, of course, the first major attack on a religious centre was when the Catholic Church was bombed in Niger State and the kind of signals I had could have provoked actions. I had to rush down and declare that emergency. And, of course, when there was one major attack in Kano, I also visited.

“But somehow I have not visited Yobe, Borno, Adamawa, Bauchi and Gombe states I have not and sometimes people are insinuating that the president doesn’t like these states, no.

“My coming is to reassure the people of Yobe State that I don’t discriminate between the sections of the country. I took an oath of office to treat Nigeria as one and what affects Yobe State affects the rest of the country.

“The issues of terror, if you listen to my public statement, even outside Nigeria, I normally emphasise that when there is a terrorist situation in any part of the world, it affects the whole world because the victims may not necessary come from that part of the world. If one state or one community is under a terrorist attack, it affects the rest. Look at what happened in Bauchi State where some expatriate workers of Setraco were kidnapped. I get calls from the presidents of the countries where these people come from.

“There is no way a president, whether he is Jonathan or anybody, will say he will not care about what happens in any part of the federation. We must care; it has nothing to do with politics. I really want to use this opportunity to reassure my brothers and sister in Yobe State that because I had not visited Yobe does not mean that I am less concerned. I am happy today that we are interacting,” he said.

President Jonathan met with Governor Ibrahim Gaidam and they discussed how to resolve the crisis in the state. The President also met privately with the Emirs and other traditional rulers.

Dr. Jonathan inaugurated the 300 housing units and a library at the Yobe State University named after him. He donated N200million to the school.

The President left Yobe for Borno where he was received by Governor Kashim Shettima.
http://thenationonlineng.net/boko-haram-no-amnesty-for-ghosts-says-jonathan/

Most of the early commanders of Boko Haram came from wealthy and influential northern families . It is thus no wonder their parents wanted GEJ to negotiate an amnesty program for their wards in order to spring them out of jail.

Well, Buhari has since released all of them in a fake prisoner swap.

Re: Flashback: I Will Not Negotiate With Ghosts - Gej by Dereformer(m): 8:24am On May 22, 2017
Only fools believe the chibok story.

There was no kidnap. All of these were arranged.

1 Like

Re: Flashback: I Will Not Negotiate With Ghosts - Gej by VanNistelrooy24: 8:28am On May 22, 2017
God bless GEJ.

1 Like

Re: Flashback: I Will Not Negotiate With Ghosts - Gej by ba7man(m): 8:30am On May 22, 2017
The same ghosts later became GEJ's "young brothers". tongue

1 Like

Re: Flashback: I Will Not Negotiate With Ghosts - Gej by Swiftlee(m): 8:31am On May 22, 2017
Nigerians are watching this government with keen interest. Most of them have gone to check if their voters cards are still intact. The ones that just to 18 have gone to get themselves registered to vote this international shame out of Aso come 2019! The people in this government started putting this country in shackles before even assuming power by arranging the kidnap for propaganda. Now Lie Momodu is trying hard to defend what they initially orchestrated. Plans gone wild!

1 Like

Re: Flashback: I Will Not Negotiate With Ghosts - Gej by BlowBack: 8:31am On May 22, 2017
North insists on amnesty for Boko Haram

Second Republic lawmaker, Dr. Junaid Mohammed, has berated President Goodluck Jonathan for denying Boko Haram amnesty because the sect is faceless. He said the President was being economical with the truth.

Speaking to our correspondent on the telephone on Friday, Mohammed, the Convener, Concerned Northern Politicians, Academics, Professionals and Businessmen, accused the Federal Government of milking the country dry in the name of addressing the security challenge.

He said members of the sect took up arms, just like the Niger Delta militants, when they felt cheated by the government. He said the government was however being partial by denying the militants amnesty.

Mohammed said, “President Jonathan is being economical with the truth. In other words, he is lying. What he said about the sect (of being faceless) only showed his frame of mind. He is applying double standards.

“His people took up arms in the Niger Delta because they felt they should partake from the oil revenue being generated from their land. They did same things as Boko Haram and were later granted amnesty.

“The government has been negotiating with the sect in bad faith. Its officials, legislators and the Joint Task Force are making hundreds of millions of dollars in the insecurity. It has now become a money-making venture for them.”

Also, the apex North body, Arewa Consultative Forum, said negotiation should precede an amnesty for the sect. It explained that the call for amnesty by the Sultan was to allow the leaders of the sect show their face.

The body however expressed its concern about the security of representatives of the sect, should there be a dialogue with the Federal Government.

National Publicity Secretary of the ACF, Anthony Sani, in an online interview with our correspondent, advised the government to persuade leaders of a faction of the sect willing to dialogue with it to choose a country that had good diplomatic relationship with Nigeria to play some mediatory roles.

He said, “I cannot say which of the parties (Federal Government and Boko Haram) is sincere or insincere, precisely because the sect hankering for dialogue is only a faction of Boko Haram. Also, you cannot fault Mr. President when he insisted that the government would not negotiate with a faceless group.

“Yet it is unrealistic to expect leaders of the sect to show their faces for dialogue without any assurance for their safety.”

When asked if the sect deserved amnesty considering the injustice it would be on the part of victims, he stated, “When I was young, I once read a saying that ‘If you killed one man, you would be charged for murder; if you killed 10 people, you would be taken to hospital to test for insanity; but if you killed 1,000 people, you would be invited for peace talks in Geneva.’

“As for me, I want the amnesty to be the outcome of negotiation that can take place outside the Nigerian shore.”

The youth arm of the body, Arewa Youth Consultative Forum, however said while the President could not be blamed for calling Boko Haram faceless, his earlier utterances had showed otherwise.

National President of the group, Yerima Shettimah, said, “His previous statements, like when he said Boko Haram had infiltrated his government, are a clear indication that the country is now bigger than the President and his government is no more in charge of the situation it usually claim.”

Sultan of Sokoto, Alhaji Muhammad Abubakar III, had on Tuesday asked Jonathan to grant members of the militant group “total amnesty” for the sake of peace in the country.

The leader of the Muslim community in Nigeria also blamed the security challenges confronting the country on injustice “meted out to the people.”

But Jonathan had, during his visit to Damaturu, Yobe State, on Thursday said he would not grant amnesty to members of the sect because they were faceless.

http://247nigerianewsupdate.com/north-insists-on-amnesty-for-boko-haram/
Re: Flashback: I Will Not Negotiate With Ghosts - Gej by BlowBack: 8:39am On May 22, 2017

(1) (Reply)

Nigeria On The Verge Of Another Civil War – Pastor Tunde Bakare / 2nd Anniversary Celebration: Gov. Okowa Commissions 12 Roads In Asaba / 2019 Is Approaching, Before Dying For Any Politician, Ask Yourself This Question

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.