Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,976 members, 7,952,942 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 07:51 AM

Does Social Media And the Internet Encourage Terrorism & Barbarism - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Does Social Media And the Internet Encourage Terrorism & Barbarism (480 Views)

Shehu Sani Reacts To IS Attacks, Says Islam Does Not Encourage Terrorism / Dele Momodu Encourage Atiku To Pick Up His Phone And Call Buhari / When Will This Barbarism End? Catholic Bishops Conference Of Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Does Social Media And the Internet Encourage Terrorism & Barbarism by Eddygourdo(m): 7:58am On May 23, 2017
when I was a young child in the eighties and nineties, I wondered what death meant, because I had lived for awhile and never seen a dead body of someone who died peacefully in his sleep talkless of a mutilated body. I grew up with a sane mind and saw the world in that way, many young people felt this way too and when social media and the internet came on board, we started seeing uncensored news bearing horrendous images and for days on end, many of us who saw such were traumatized and didn't approach senility because we are Africans and are made of black.

terrorism and madness are very much similar in that, normal people can't understand their motives and they themselves need as much publicity to feel good about their actions, everyday on this forum and many others we observe the emanation of horrendous crimes bearing lots of images, images that should never be allowed to appear a normalcy in our consciousness, after all we will get the chance to type RIP. what does that do, without that mundane prayer or the tribal connotation we ascribe to those threads and events what else is gained by the dead or his or her loved ones. do they ever get justice or even succor.

such news are the best traffic drivers and it's apparently hot cake for most media outlets and social media and yet we do not see how since we started propagating such horrific news for the consumption of the general populace, the terrorists and criminals have gotten brazen in their actions and it's severity. they want to make the news, they want to improve on the killing show, they want to be recognized for their expertise in causing mayhem and we are encouraging it, by its uncensored propagation.

main stream media majorly attempt to censor some of these barbarism and just report the content. social media must follow suit as its an ethical duty for posterity and for the future psyche of unborn children. many people are losing their humanity, it's no wonder that lesser of these violence and terrorism is occurring in countries with stricter web censorship laws. we can't keep allowing the butchering of men , women and children with images showing this to appear normal in the consciousness of humanity.

these criminals and terrorists love this attention, terrorism feeds on media attention, barbarism feeds on destabilizing the polity by the reach of their actions in our consciousness. this is clear by observing how many terrorist organizations hurry and fight amongst themselves to claim responsibility whenever an unfortunate even occurs.

it is human to report and commemorate with the victims, but we can't In our own efforts through ommision or commission encourage these animals to improve on their game and make some of us their future victims. I stand against violence around the world, I stand against media propagation (internet and social media) of uncensored images of these unfortunate events.

I pray today for the world starting with Nigeria, I pray for the people of Manchester and the victims, I hope we get things right for posterity sake. have a lovely day.

eddygourdo

(1) (Reply)

How Set Is Nigeria To Start Its Pencil Production By 2018 / Proceeding Of The Nigerian Senate Of Today, Tuesday, 23rd May, 2017 / Tweet Of The Day From Acting President Yemi Osinbajo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.