Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,241 members, 7,818,824 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 05:55 AM

What You Should Know About The Chromebook - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / What You Should Know About The Chromebook (1775 Views)

What Are The Advantages Of Using A Chromebook Over A Regular Laptop? / found @ ladipo!!Samsung Chromebook XE550C22-A01US Charger Needed Urgently / U.S Clean Acer Chromebook C710-2856 - 11.6-inch Chromebook/laptop 30k(pics)SOLD! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

What You Should Know About The Chromebook by Datevilme: 10:53am On May 23, 2017
So, i was having a conversation with a group recently, and i made mention of a Chromebook laptop. From the look on their faces, i could tell that i had lost some of them, it was almost as if i stopped speaking English for a moment. Perhaps its just the word "Chromebook" that is yet to register in the mind, this is one of the reasons i decided to put up this post, basically, this is what you should know about the Chromebook

What is a Chromebook?

We can think of a Chromebook as an internet dependent laptop. Yes, it was designed to work optimally with an internet connection (which should actually be basic by now). It is really a different breed , compared to what we are already used to (Windows/Mac based laptops).

What OS does it run on?

It runs on Googles web based chrome operating system (OS). Because it is designed to work with an internet connection, most of the Chromebook's documents and applications are stored in the cloud. Google in its usual kind nature provides 100GB of cloud storage for every Chromebook.

Why Chromebook?

I believe almost everyone enjoys the convenience of accessing your documents from any computer or even your mobile device anywhere with an internet connection. Even if anything happens to your system, you can be sure your data is safe.

Chromebooks are very easy to use. When you turn on the Chromebook, there is no setup needed, you just simply need to log into your google account, and that's basically what you need to get started. It also has a built in anti-virus protection that updates along with the Chromebook, so you will always be protected. It also promises long battery life.

What if I'm Offline?

The Chromebook has got you covered, all of googles applications have the option for you to work in an offline mode, then changes are synced and saved when you come online.

What About My Videos And Music?

You can store and play your music on the 100GB cloud storage, or on the Chromebook's internal storage, just make sure you've installed the Google Play Movies & TV and Google Play Music extensions from the Chrome Web Store, you can also switch this applications to offline mode to keep enjoying your music and video experience even while offline.

Basic Specifications

Chromebooks don't really standout for their specs, which is actually the way Google intended. Typically most Chromebook Laptops ship with:

RAM: 2GB - 4GB
Storage Size: At least 16GB Upwards
Processor: Chromebooks mostly offer entry-level processors that can easily handle word processing, emails, and movies but lag in more sophisticated procedures like running 3D games and managing several tasks at once.
Screen Size & Resolution: Chromebooks come in Large (14-15 - inches), Medium (13 - inches) and Small (10-11 - inches) HD screens.
Majority of Chromebooks have touch screens, there are also the convertible ones (Fold-able to be tab like)

Who Makes Chromebooks

Chromebooks are manufactured by the major and popular laptop names we are all familiar with, these include: HP, Acer, Dell, Asus, Google, Haier, Hisense, Lenovo, LG, Samsung and Toshiba.

Limitations

If you depend on typical downloadable windows software, such as Photoshop, or other high end video editing software, then the Chromebook is probably not for you. Although there are web based equivalents, but we can we really consider them viable alternatives?

Can The Chromebook Be Your Primary Computing Device?

Yes and No...it depends on the use, ask yourself these questions before getting one.

How comfortable are you working with web based applications?
Are you willing to evolve from the traditional to something new?
With the stated specs, can the Chromebook support the kind of applications you work with?

So, would you get yourself a Chromebook?
http://techguy.ng/what-you-should-know-about-the-chromebook/

1 Like

Re: What You Should Know About The Chromebook by Gabson247(m): 1:22pm On May 23, 2017
I av one for sale. Hp chromebook.
Re: What You Should Know About The Chromebook by Ebenezer2021(m): 6:33pm On Sep 06, 2020
Datevilme:
So, i was having a conversation with a group recently, and i made mention of a Chromebook laptop. From the look on their faces, i could tell that i had lost some of them, it was almost as if i stopped speaking English for a moment. Perhaps its just the word "Chromebook" that is yet to register in the mind, this is one of the reasons i decided to put up this post, basically, this is what you should know about the Chromebook

What is a Chromebook?

We can think of a Chromebook as an internet dependent laptop. Yes, it was designed to work optimally with an internet connection (which should actually be basic by now). It is really a different breed , compared to what we are already used to (Windows/Mac based laptops).

What OS does it run on?

It runs on Googles web based chrome operating system (OS). Because it is designed to work with an internet connection, most of the Chromebook's documents and applications are stored in the cloud. Google in its usual kind nature provides 100GB of cloud storage for every Chromebook.

Why Chromebook?

I believe almost everyone enjoys the convenience of accessing your documents from any computer or even your mobile device anywhere with an internet connection. Even if anything happens to your system, you can be sure your data is safe.

Chromebooks are very easy to use. When you turn on the Chromebook, there is no setup needed, you just simply need to log into your google account, and that's basically what you need to get started. It also has a built in anti-virus protection that updates along with the Chromebook, so you will always be protected. It also promises long battery life.

What if I'm Offline?

The Chromebook has got you covered, all of googles applications have the option for you to work in an offline mode, then changes are synced and saved when you come online.

What About My Videos And Music?

You can store and play your music on the 100GB cloud storage, or on the Chromebook's internal storage, just make sure you've installed the Google Play Movies & TV and Google Play Music extensions from the Chrome Web Store, you can also switch this applications to offline mode to keep enjoying your music and video experience even while offline.

Basic Specifications

Chromebooks don't really standout for their specs, which is actually the way Google intended. Typically most Chromebook Laptops ship with:

RAM: 2GB - 4GB
Storage Size: At least 16GB Upwards
Processor: Chromebooks mostly offer entry-level processors that can easily handle word processing, emails, and movies but lag in more sophisticated procedures like running 3D games and managing several tasks at once.
Screen Size & Resolution: Chromebooks come in Large (14-15 - inches), Medium (13 - inches) and Small (10-11 - inches) HD screens.
Majority of Chromebooks have touch screens, there are also the convertible ones (Fold-able to be tab like)

Who Makes Chromebooks

Chromebooks are manufactured by the major and popular laptop names we are all familiar with, these include: HP, Acer, Dell, Asus, Google, Haier, Hisense, Lenovo, LG, Samsung and Toshiba.

Limitations

If you depend on typical downloadable windows software, such as Photoshop, or other high end video editing software, then the Chromebook is probably not for you. Although there are web based equivalents, but we can we really consider them viable alternatives?

Can The Chromebook Be Your Primary Computing Device?

Yes and No...it depends on the use, ask yourself these questions before getting one.

How comfortable are you working with web based applications?
Are you willing to evolve from the traditional to something new?
With the stated specs, can the Chromebook support the kind of applications you work with?

So, would you get yourself a Chromebook?
http://techguy.ng/what-you-should-know-about-the-chromebook/
Thank you very much for this insightful write up of yours.
I'm a final year student, I've been incarcerated at home due to the lockdown on schools cos of the pandemic.
I was bored at home so my sister gave me her laptop and I used it for few months and sharpened my IT, Corel draw and graphic design skills and started earning money with it.
She came back recently and took back her laptop and I was left totally empty.
So I came across a friend and told her my predicament and she shipped a laptop down to me only for me to realize it's a Chromebook.
Now my question is.
Since it's files can be assured of safety then that means I'm good to go with it, can I use it for my final year project?
You really sure I can download some movies and few songs into the Google Play Movies/TV and watch them offline?
I've heard of some alternate apps one can use in place of Corel draw and it can be installed into chromebook.
So should I manage with the Chromebook or sell it?
Your response would be so appreciated

(1) (Reply)

Apple Laptops For Sale 60k. Bonanza Price / Excellent Condition US Used Laptops--Abuja...... SOLD SOLD / Multi-links Evdo Broadband Modems @ Discount Rate: Bulk-sale ...6,000/unit

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.