Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,615 members, 7,813,018 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 04:19 AM

Nneka Arimah, Chikodili Emelumadu & Arinze Ifeakandu Nominated For Caine Prize - Literature (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Nneka Arimah, Chikodili Emelumadu & Arinze Ifeakandu Nominated For Caine Prize (23787 Views)

Lesley Nneka Arimah Wins 2019 Caine Prize / Eva Nneka's Story: High School Crush To A Forced Husband / Wole Soyinka Reacts To Wedding Of His Son, Oretunlewa And Nneka Ekechukwu (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nneka Arimah, Chikodili Emelumadu & Arinze Ifeakandu Nominated For Caine Prize by Nobody: 8:25pm On May 23, 2017
[b][/b]
Re: Nneka Arimah, Chikodili Emelumadu & Arinze Ifeakandu Nominated For Caine Prize by madapcmod: 8:25pm On May 23, 2017
i must confess that our afonja cone head brothers are having nightmares right now reading this heart breaking ipod achievement news. i see them holding their chests and opening wide their ewedu mouths like hipopotamus

4 Likes

Re: Nneka Arimah, Chikodili Emelumadu & Arinze Ifeakandu Nominated For Caine Prize by Nobody: 8:26pm On May 23, 2017
Another inter tribal war loading ... Lemme cross nd buy pop corn
Re: Nneka Arimah, Chikodili Emelumadu & Arinze Ifeakandu Nominated For Caine Prize by MrMoney007: 8:27pm On May 23, 2017
Food don done
Re: Nneka Arimah, Chikodili Emelumadu & Arinze Ifeakandu Nominated For Caine Prize by Afam4eva(m): 8:27pm On May 23, 2017
TVTKOKO:
sameway you can't explain why most calculating machines,, i mean 'mathematics brainbox' are yorubas tongue
I was actually going to say this in the topic about a Yoruba guy winning a mathematics award. Yorubas have a thing with maths especially the muslim ones.

1 Like

Re: Nneka Arimah, Chikodili Emelumadu & Arinze Ifeakandu Nominated For Caine Prize by LordOfNaira: 8:29pm On May 23, 2017
Kathmandu:
Tribalist will have a field date.

How come the Northerners don't do well on the international stage but they are always allocated choice post in Nigeria.

Truly, this country aptly describes the name Kanu calls it

Who told you they don't do well. Elnathan John has been shortlisted twice for the Caine Prize and Abubakar Adam Ibrahim once. Abubakar Adam Ibrahim recently won the Nigerian Literature Prize.

1 Like

Re: Nneka Arimah, Chikodili Emelumadu & Arinze Ifeakandu Nominated For Caine Prize by bigmo1(m): 8:29pm On May 23, 2017
Chipappi should be on the list, I beg.
Re: Nneka Arimah, Chikodili Emelumadu & Arinze Ifeakandu Nominated For Caine Prize by IgbosAreGreat(f): 8:30pm On May 23, 2017
InyinyaAgbaOku:

Both young And old.
Check Nigerian novels for WAEC back in the days,

Achebe
Cyprian Ekwensi
Chukwuemeka Ike
Flora Nwapa
Buchi Emecheta
Elechi Amadi

There was Soyinka, Rotimi(Gods are not to blame) , but they are few non Igbo classic novelists

where is chimamamda

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nneka Arimah, Chikodili Emelumadu & Arinze Ifeakandu Nominated For Caine Prize by walosky(m): 8:30pm On May 23, 2017
I told you that they would definitely make us proud

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nneka Arimah, Chikodili Emelumadu & Arinze Ifeakandu Nominated For Caine Prize by geozone: 8:32pm On May 23, 2017
EVILFOREST:
Na only IGBOS and YORUBA dey Nigeria.
Imagine Igbos and Yoruba just coming together for just a year...now think of what they can make out.....?

If only they knew, they would have come together to front a common goal...
And leave Jihadists alone

If only! What a powerful country that will be, even more powerful with the northerners if they truly and fairly embrace nationhood

4 Likes

Re: Nneka Arimah, Chikodili Emelumadu & Arinze Ifeakandu Nominated For Caine Prize by madapcmod: 8:32pm On May 23, 2017
Afam4eva:

I was actually going to say this in the topic about a Yoruba guy winning a mathematics award. Yorubas have a thing with maths especially the muslim ones.

i dont think so, if u say lawyers i agree but mathematical courses like engineering have more igbos, go check COREN list.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nneka Arimah, Chikodili Emelumadu & Arinze Ifeakandu Nominated For Caine Prize by Alariwo2: 8:33pm On May 23, 2017
EVILFOREST:
Na only IGBOS and YORUBA dey Nigeria.
Imagine Igbos and Yoruba just coming together for just a year...now think of what they can make out.....?

If only they knew, they would have come together to front a common goal...
And leave Jihadists alone

God forbid!

I still prefer Hausas to igbos.. People that don't show gratitude, all they think of is how to insult and call their helpers lazy

Again I say it.. God forbid bad thing

1 Like

Re: Nneka Arimah, Chikodili Emelumadu & Arinze Ifeakandu Nominated For Caine Prize by hucienda: 8:34pm On May 23, 2017
Congratulations ladies and gentleman.

I'll leave the analysis of their identities to the experts.

cc: NCAN

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nneka Arimah, Chikodili Emelumadu & Arinze Ifeakandu Nominated For Caine Prize by Afam4eva(m): 8:35pm On May 23, 2017
madapcmod:

i dont think so, if u say lawyers i agree but mathematical courses like engineering have more igbos, go check COREN list.
I didn't say engineering. I said Mathematics as a subject specifically. The best mathematicians in my class in secondary school were Yorubas.

2 Likes

Re: Nneka Arimah, Chikodili Emelumadu & Arinze Ifeakandu Nominated For Caine Prize by anitapreeti(f): 8:35pm On May 23, 2017
IgbosAreGreat:

where is chimamamda

Didn't you see for WACE? Olodo undecided
Re: Nneka Arimah, Chikodili Emelumadu & Arinze Ifeakandu Nominated For Caine Prize by IgbosAreGreat(f): 8:35pm On May 23, 2017
InyinyaAgbaOku:

Both young And old.

Achebe
Cyprian Ekwensi
Chukwuemeka Ike
Flora Nwapa
Buchi Emecheta
Elechi Amadi

There was Soyinka, Rotimi(Gods are not to blame) , but they are few non Igbo classic novelists

u said it all though

2 Likes

Re: Nneka Arimah, Chikodili Emelumadu & Arinze Ifeakandu Nominated For Caine Prize by Nobody: 8:36pm On May 23, 2017
Alariwo2:

God forbid!

I still prefer Hausas to igbos.. People that don't show gratitude, all they think of is how to insult and call their helpers lazy

Again I say it.. God forbid bad thing
helpers indeed.

11 Likes

Re: Nneka Arimah, Chikodili Emelumadu & Arinze Ifeakandu Nominated For Caine Prize by IgbosAreGreat(f): 8:36pm On May 23, 2017
hucienda:
Congratulations ladies and gentleman.

I'll leave the analysis of their identities to the experts.

cc: NCAN

grin grin grin grin grin grin

dis guy

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nneka Arimah, Chikodili Emelumadu & Arinze Ifeakandu Nominated For Caine Prize by ephi123(f): 8:37pm On May 23, 2017
Movingcoil:
These children will frown at this news..

What's the point of posting these pictures everywhere? To prove what exactly?
Re: Nneka Arimah, Chikodili Emelumadu & Arinze Ifeakandu Nominated For Caine Prize by LordOfNaira: 8:37pm On May 23, 2017
comradejudism:
When it comes to intellectual prowess and alacrity, give it to the igbos.

When Yorubas dominated the awards, we didn't hear noise o.

3 Likes

Re: Nneka Arimah, Chikodili Emelumadu & Arinze Ifeakandu Nominated For Caine Prize by walosky(m): 8:37pm On May 23, 2017
Taiwo! Tosin! Bukki ati Ayodele..ori e buru

Come an receive your own share of the cain, oshi!

Re: Nneka Arimah, Chikodili Emelumadu & Arinze Ifeakandu Nominated For Caine Prize by sweetgala(m): 8:38pm On May 23, 2017
DatblackBoi:
All these writers putting our story in prints.
Congratulations to them all.
I remember once when Ms. Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie had a misunderstanding with one man she called "My BOY" over this particular prize.

The question is do they really put our story in print.

Some of the guys above have excluded the likes of DO Fagunwa amongst many.

I'll tell you what I've seen of recent Yoruba literature unlike our eastern brethren who mostly write a novel about an African with European outlook and the primary audience being western most Yoruba literature is written with a societal undertone similar to the use of "owe" and aroba the consequence is that it tells an African tale , most suitable to the African experience

2 Likes

Re: Nneka Arimah, Chikodili Emelumadu & Arinze Ifeakandu Nominated For Caine Prize by Alariwo2: 8:39pm On May 23, 2017
padiga047:
helpers indeed.

Till tomorrow, I won't regret choosing Buhari over GEJ. Get that into your skull ok?

I am reaping the fruits at least with laudable projects in my region. I am not the one crying marginalization all over the place with bad erosion ravaged roads.
So GTFOH
Re: Nneka Arimah, Chikodili Emelumadu & Arinze Ifeakandu Nominated For Caine Prize by LordOfNaira: 8:39pm On May 23, 2017
smackimorn:
Awolowo's free education didn't cover literature.

Better don't quote me. tongue

Stop being tribalistic. No Igbo writer has won the Prize. But four Yoruba writers have.

2 Likes

Re: Nneka Arimah, Chikodili Emelumadu & Arinze Ifeakandu Nominated For Caine Prize by Nobody: 8:40pm On May 23, 2017
LordOfNaira:

Who told you they don't do well. Elnathan John has been shortlisted twice for the Caine Prize and Abubakar Adam Ibrahim once. Abubakar Adam Ibrahim recently won the Nigerian Literature Prize.
local yampion grin

1 Like

Re: Nneka Arimah, Chikodili Emelumadu & Arinze Ifeakandu Nominated For Caine Prize by sweetgala(m): 8:41pm On May 23, 2017
madapcmod:

Actually it's proven fact , otherwise is the case.
Forget WAEC where teachers give students​ papers as had been found out in some centers in the east the Yoruba dominate all levels of tertiary learning

1 Like

Re: Nneka Arimah, Chikodili Emelumadu & Arinze Ifeakandu Nominated For Caine Prize by Nobody: 8:41pm On May 23, 2017
Alariwo2:

Till tomorrow, I won't regret choosing Buhari over GEJ. Get that into your skull ok?

I am reaping the fruits at least with laudable projects in my region. I am not the one crying marginalization all over the place with bad erosion ravaged roads.
So GTFOH
you are reading the fruits indeed

And you will surely vote him in 2019?

Shows me the level of your I. Q

4 Likes

Re: Nneka Arimah, Chikodili Emelumadu & Arinze Ifeakandu Nominated For Caine Prize by kitaatita: 8:43pm On May 23, 2017
Afam4eva:
Congrats to them all.

Can someone help in explaining why most young writers in Nigeria are Igbo. This is something i've noticed for a while now. Is there any concerted effort by the governors in the south-east that explains it or Igbos are just fond of the literary world.
The Igbo culture promotes folklore and proverbs. These two form the basis for literary incursion. There were also role models like Achebe, Ekwensi and others. Igbo authors also focused largely on narratives which tend to be more culturally appealing than the creative writing style of Soyinka

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nneka Arimah, Chikodili Emelumadu & Arinze Ifeakandu Nominated For Caine Prize by LordOfNaira: 8:44pm On May 23, 2017
Kathmandu:
local yampion grin

I guess you missed the part where I wrote that they had been shortlisted for the same prize. Elnathan (Twice), Abubakar (Once).

And the Nigerian Literature Prize is not cheap. It is the most expensive prize in Africa. The winner goes home with 100, 000 dollars.

1 Like

Re: Nneka Arimah, Chikodili Emelumadu & Arinze Ifeakandu Nominated For Caine Prize by Aspireahead(m): 8:46pm On May 23, 2017
Afam4eva:
Congrats to them all.

Can someone help in explaining why most young writers in Nigeria are Igbo. This is something i've noticed for a while now. Is there any concerted effort by the governors in the south-east that explains it or Igbos are just fond of the literary world.

if you follow Nigeria literature, especially contemporary Nigerian literature you will know that budding young writers are nearly evenly spread across all the region's. The usually literally backward north has a teeming population of young writers to beat it chest with.
Re: Nneka Arimah, Chikodili Emelumadu & Arinze Ifeakandu Nominated For Caine Prize by sweetgala(m): 8:46pm On May 23, 2017
ephi123:

What's the point of posting these pictures everywhere? To prove what exactly?

To prove he is foolish

Here is a list of some of the tribes in Nigeria who adorn their faces with tribal marks Extravagantly

- Jukun
- Igbira
- Tiv
-Hausa
A friend who's mother is from the south south has bold tribal marks because their mother had a number of stillborns before him
-Awori

There are so many others , while tribal marks have reduced in most of Yoruba culture it is still very strong among some of the above listed.

4 Likes

Re: Nneka Arimah, Chikodili Emelumadu & Arinze Ifeakandu Nominated For Caine Prize by ephi123(f): 8:47pm On May 23, 2017
InyinyaAgbaOku:

Both young And old.

Achebe
Cyprian Ekwensi
Chukwuemeka Ike
Flora Nwapa
Buchi Emecheta
Elechi Amadi

In the newer generation, there are some great writers though relatively unknown compared to the ones you listed up there:

Adaobi Tricia Nwaubani - "I do Not Come to You By Chance" was an absolutely hilarious read.
https://www.amazon.com/Do-Not-Come-You-Chance/dp/1401323111

Lola Jaye - By the Time You Read this
https://www.amazon.com/Time-You-Read-This/dp/0061733830

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

The Reunion....(A Short Story) / Dangerous Love (18+) / The Deadly Seduction (A Steamy Romance)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.