Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,744 members, 7,817,054 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 01:24 AM

Jonathan Canvasses For Fiscal Federalism, Says System Would Work Better - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Jonathan Canvasses For Fiscal Federalism, Says System Would Work Better (1685 Views)

How Nec, Newly Formed Eac Would Work Together By Vp Osinbajo / Rivers, Delta, Bayelsa Most Fiscally Stable Nigerian States- Fiscal Index / Nigerian Army And Buratai’s Insatiable Appetite For Fiscal Discipline (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Jonathan Canvasses For Fiscal Federalism, Says System Would Work Better by deantimes(m): 8:56pm On May 24, 2017
Jonathan Canvasses For Fiscal Federalism, Says System Would Work Better To Facilitate Development

FORMER President Goodluck Jonathan has
said fiscal federalism was the system that would work better to facilitate development in the country.

Speaking at the occasion of the Rivers State 50th year anniversary in Port Harcourt, Wednesday, Mr. Jonathan criticised the Niger Delta Development Commission, saying the agency has failed to provide the needed infrastructural development in the region.

“This will allow states to assume control of the exploitation of their natural resources and mandate them to pay adequate taxes to the Federal Government,” said Mr. Jonathan.

“My conviction that fiscal federalism will initiate faster development is born out of a comparison between the intervention Agencies and the 13 percent derivation. From the days of Special Funds, through OMPADEC to now NDDC, the Federal Government has provided funds for the development of the oil bearing communities but very little physical infrastructure to show for it.

“This is so because these bodies are highly political and lack continuity as tenures are hardly completed. New Federal Government administrations appoint new teams who award new contracts hence the zone is littered with abandoned projects.

“I believe that without the 13 percent derivation, action governors like Wike would not have the capital to drive his ambitious developmental projects. With fiscal federalism, the pace of development will be even faster.”

Mr. Jonathan said although the country is doing well in many areas, several issues have continued to agitate its citizens.

ALSO READ: Ile-Ife Crisis: One-sided Arrests Wrong – Bakare

“Our people want us to improve on the way we govern ourselves. That was why in 2014 I set up the National Conference to examine the grey areas and proffer viable options that will accelerate our political, social and economic development. I am convinced that implementation of the Report will help resolve some of the problems in our country,” he said.

“It is also my conviction that the future of democracy, not only in Nigeria but across the entire continent of Africa, lies in putting the people first. This will entail not only working to improve their lives but also respecting their rights to freely chose who to represent them, without let or hindrance.

“That way, they will be able to wrap their hope and future around the certainty of the declaration that real power belongs to them, and that the maxim of one man one vote is not just mere platitude.”

http://www.socialtimesng.net/2017/05/jonathan-fiscal-federalism-system-better-facilitate-development/

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Jonathan Canvasses For Fiscal Federalism, Says System Would Work Better by CROWNWEALTH019(m): 8:57pm On May 24, 2017
If only they allowed him to work...

2 Likes

Re: Jonathan Canvasses For Fiscal Federalism, Says System Would Work Better by deantimes(m): 8:57pm On May 24, 2017
grin
Re: Jonathan Canvasses For Fiscal Federalism, Says System Would Work Better by osinbanjoisaliar: 9:11pm On May 24, 2017
The greatest Nigerian leader ever. When he talks, it would do afonjas well to listen and take notes. Instead of relying on amala and ewedu clueless godfathers

13 Likes

Re: Jonathan Canvasses For Fiscal Federalism, Says System Would Work Better by swagagolic01(m): 9:11pm On May 24, 2017
My hero

2 Likes

Re: Jonathan Canvasses For Fiscal Federalism, Says System Would Work Better by xcolanto(m): 9:16pm On May 24, 2017
Watched the lecture on AIT today! It was part of the rivers at 50 celebration. All what was said was based on the concluded 2014 confab which was a Brilliant road map away from the misery of the failed Nigerian state.

A good one from the hero of African democracy!
Good bless GeJ
#team restructure
#team confab
#refreerandum

8 Likes

Re: Jonathan Canvasses For Fiscal Federalism, Says System Would Work Better by APCsupporter: 9:20pm On May 24, 2017
this goat should let us be. useless man. so why didn't you at least make an attempt to adopt it? so far Jonathan is the worst president the world has ever seen.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Jonathan Canvasses For Fiscal Federalism, Says System Would Work Better by samstradam: 9:32pm On May 24, 2017
This man's and his followers stupidity knows no bounds.

I mean how can it be now that he has left the centre that he knows it is important for fiscal federalism??

Did this son of the creeks not know that the kinsmen he appointed to NDDC were doing nothing? Or is he saying they wanted to work but he gave them no money to work ?? Or did he need the northerners permission to sack his own kinsmen??

I never knew this useless ExPresident and Arsene Wenger have so much in common- when it is to late they shift goalposts and blame everyone for their failures except themselves!!

Don't worry GEJ, fiscally liberated Wike will come and tar the road leading to your village for you... don't go and beg that small boy Dickson who you installed and is now doing big boy for you. Mumu.

8 Likes

Re: Jonathan Canvasses For Fiscal Federalism, Says System Would Work Better by TonyeBarcanista(m): 9:38pm On May 24, 2017
Good talk but why didn't he implement it?

1 Like

Re: Jonathan Canvasses For Fiscal Federalism, Says System Would Work Better by Pavarottii(m): 9:43pm On May 24, 2017
APCsupporter:
this goat should let us be. useless man. so why didn't you at least make an attempt to adopt it? so far Jonathan is the worst president the world has ever seen.
At least he took a bold step to do it. Why can't buhari implement it?

11 Likes

Re: Jonathan Canvasses For Fiscal Federalism, Says System Would Work Better by Adminisher: 9:48pm On May 24, 2017
This is the most idiotic president ever. Fiscal federalism now after you left government and did nothing about it. You caused a recession and state governments are begging FG for loans to pay salaries. It is now you know about fiscal federalism. Empty dunce of a PhD holder .
Get it straight Mr yesterday President and your low IQ followers. Every thing costs money, even restructuring. We have lost that chance. Let Buhari build agriculture and solid minerals, then we can have it. For now it is just words you say at a party or beer palour to look smart. It is not happening. Next time opportunity knocks , you use it well

5 Likes

Re: Jonathan Canvasses For Fiscal Federalism, Says System Would Work Better by Maduawuchukwu(m): 10:08pm On May 24, 2017
TonyeBarcanista:
Good talk but why didn't he implement it?

To be fair he made a move but implementation is a National Assembly ish nah.

7 Likes

Re: Jonathan Canvasses For Fiscal Federalism, Says System Would Work Better by wirinet(m): 10:10pm On May 24, 2017
Dearis goduoo. From 1999 to 2005 when you were deputy Governor, you did not canvass for fiscal federalism. From 2005 to 2007 when you were Governor, you did not canvass for fiscal federalism. From 2007 to 2010 when you were vice president, you did not canvass for fiscal federalism. From 2010 to 2015 when you were acting president and president you did not canvass for fiscal federalism. You now lost the elections and suddenly you saw the light, you now canvass for fiscal federalism.
Would you have seen the light of fiscal federalism had you won the elections?

6 Likes

Re: Jonathan Canvasses For Fiscal Federalism, Says System Would Work Better by Maduawuchukwu(m): 10:11pm On May 24, 2017
Adminisher:
This is the most idiotic president ever. Fiscal federalism now after you left government and did nothing about it. You caused a recession and state governments are begging FG for loans to pay salaries. It is now you know about fiscal federalism. Empty dunce of a PhD holder .
Get it straight Mr yesterday President and your low IQ followers. Every thing costs money, even restructuring. We have lost that chance. Let Buhari build agriculture and solid minerals, then we can have it. For now it is just words you say at a party or beer palour to look smart. It is not happening. Next time opportunity knocks , you use it well

Lol. You must be a northerner right? Stop being scared of restructuring man. How many resource rich countries are doing better than those without resources? Nobody ever said that restructuring will just happen over night. It will be done in phases and the FG will give huge monies Gotten from oil and loans to the states to diversify their economies.

4 Likes

Re: Jonathan Canvasses For Fiscal Federalism, Says System Would Work Better by Maduawuchukwu(m): 10:13pm On May 24, 2017
I have a question which likely has no definite answer. Do you think a state can massively grow it's economy to a Lagos, PH like status without Federal support given our Federal structure? How did the Germans do theirs?

2 Likes

Re: Jonathan Canvasses For Fiscal Federalism, Says System Would Work Better by samstradam: 10:14pm On May 24, 2017
Pavarottii:

At least he took a bold step to do

What bold step? So by simply discussing a matter, one takes a bold step? Ok, I have decided I will one day knock Mayweather out..... abi I have taken my bold step!!

A reminder to you revisionist, his failure of a national conference agreed to leave derivation the way they met it, but they did leave it to him to take an actual bold step if he wanted it changed:

Derivation: Confab stands on 13%, pushes increase to Jonathan
POSTED BY EMMANUEL LEKE ON JULY 14, 2014 IN FEATURED , NATIONAL CONFERENCE |
LEAVE A RESPONSE

Speaking on the position of the Consensus Group, the Chairman of Conference, retired Justice Idris Kutigi, said President Jonathan should set up technical committee to decide on the appropriate percentage for oil producing states and areas destroyed by insurgency in the country

After a five-hour closed doors meeting by the Consensus Group of the National Conference, delegates agreed to maintain the 13 per cent status quo on derivation.
They however proposed that President Goodluck Jonathan should set up a Technical Committee to decide on the appropriate percentage for oil producing states and areas destroyed by insurgency in the country.

This position of the Confab falls short of the expectations of the South South that the region would at least get a five percent increase in derivation from the present 13 per cent.
They have been agitating for an increase to at least 18 per cent.
The Eagle Online recalls that it was a battle between the South and the North on whether to increase the derivation or not, a development which forced the conference to adjourned abruptly twice.
Speaking on the position of the Consensus Group, the Chairman of Conference, retired Justice Idris Kutigi, said President Jonathan should set up technical committee to decide on the appropriate percentage for oil producing states and areas destroyed by insurgency in the country.
After the pronouncement of the Consensus Group’s resolution by Kutigi, delegates expressed divergent views on the position.
A South South activist, Ann Kio Briggs, expressed dissatisfaction with resolution of the Conference.
Briggs said it failed to address the problem of the Niger Delta people who have been clamouring for an increase in derivation to oil producing states.
Also, a former Governor of Ogun State, Chief Olusegun Osoba, said a technical committee will in the best position to determine the exact percentage of derivation that will go to oil producing states in the country.
Osoba added that the recommendations of the conference, if implemented, will go along way in developing the country.
http://theeagleonline.com.ng/derivation-confab-stands-on-13-pushes-increase-to-jonathan/

I don't think I need to go on about what the bold step should have been. He had almost a year to make sure he left a legacy for his kith and kin.

Pavarottii:

Why can't buhari implement it?
Why should he? What was wrong with Jonathan's hand? Or did the people in the North tell you derivation was one of the reasons they were screaming Sai Buhari?
If I recollect, their problems were Boko Haram and recovering from the self inflicted havoc in their region. In my opinion Buhari has addressed this in 2 years far better than Jonathan addressed any of his kinsmen issues.

Let's call a spade a spade and never use the word "bold" and "Jonathan" in the same sentence.
Re: Jonathan Canvasses For Fiscal Federalism, Says System Would Work Better by luvinhubby(m): 10:16pm On May 24, 2017
Only blinded zombies that will disagree with this submission.

The earlier Nigeria return to 2014 confab report, the better for us.

2 Likes

Re: Jonathan Canvasses For Fiscal Federalism, Says System Would Work Better by TonyeBarcanista(m): 10:17pm On May 24, 2017
Maduawuchukwu:

To be fair he made a move but implementation is a National Assembly ish nah.
which move?
Re: Jonathan Canvasses For Fiscal Federalism, Says System Would Work Better by luvinhubby(m): 10:18pm On May 24, 2017
TonyeBarcanista:
which move?

2014 Confab.

1 Like

Re: Jonathan Canvasses For Fiscal Federalism, Says System Would Work Better by Maduawuchukwu(m): 10:21pm On May 24, 2017
TonyeBarcanista:
which move?

National Conference that he organised is it not a move? abi it is only a Shift?

1 Like

Re: Jonathan Canvasses For Fiscal Federalism, Says System Would Work Better by omenkaLives(m): 10:22pm On May 24, 2017
samstradam:
This man's and his followers stupidity knows no bounds.

I mean how can it be now that he has left the centre that he knows it is important for fiscal federalism??

Did this son of the creeks not know that the kinsmen he appointed to NDDC were doing nothing? Or is he saying they wanted to work but he gave them no money to work ?? Or did he need the northerners permission to sack his own kinsmen??

I never knew this useless ExPresident and Arsene Wenger have so much in common- when it is to late they shift goalposts and blame everyone for their failures except themselves!!

Don't worry GEJ, fiscally liberated Wike will come and tar the road leading to your village for you... don't go and beg that small boy Dickson who you installed and is now doing big boy for you. Mumu.

Got nothing more to add.
Re: Jonathan Canvasses For Fiscal Federalism, Says System Would Work Better by samstradam: 10:25pm On May 24, 2017
luvinhubby:

2014 Confab.

Kindly post where the 2014 confab reached the conclusion that derivation formula must change or apologize to the poster you were arguing with.

Some people sef, if Jona tell them their mother and father are not their parents, they will accept.
Re: Jonathan Canvasses For Fiscal Federalism, Says System Would Work Better by TonyeBarcanista(m): 10:26pm On May 24, 2017
Maduawuchukwu:

luvinhubby:

2014 Confab.
Maduawuchukwu:

Obasanjo also had Confab in 2005

Abacha had his in 1994.

The BIG question is,

What Stops Jonathan (and others) to implement his Confab resolution when he was in power?

BTW
The 2014 Confab (unlike 1994 and 2005) didn't conclude on derivation principle for Oil and Minerals producing states.
Re: Jonathan Canvasses For Fiscal Federalism, Says System Would Work Better by Maduawuchukwu(m): 10:31pm On May 24, 2017
samstradam:

What bold step? So by simply discussing a matter, one takes a bold step? Ok, I have decided I will one day knock Mayweather out..... abi I have taken my bold step!!

A reminder to you revisionist, his failure of a national conference agreed to leave derivation the way they met it, but they did leave it to him to take an actual bold step if he wanted it changed:

I don't think I need to go on about what the bold step should have been. He had almost a year to make sure he left a legacy for his kith and kin.

Why should he? What was wrong with Jonathan's hand? Or did the people in the North tell you derivation was one of the reasons they were screaming Sai Buhari?
If I recollect, their problems were Boko Haram and recovering from the self inflicted havoc in their region. In my opinion Buhari has addressed this in 2 years far better than Jonathan addressed any of his kinsmen issues.

Let's call a spade a spade and never use the word "bold" and "Jonathan" in the same sentence.
Actually he might have been able to do something but you know that no good leader takes decisions without a major part of his people being at his back most especially for a major decision that involves revenue. If he had done it unilaterally; that is even if he had the power, he would have been a Niger-Delta president and not a Nigerian president. A resolution reached by the conference would have been better as it would have come from delegates who represented all parts of the country. And that is the difference between pple like Obj or GEJ then Buhari. Why the first two acted like Nigerian presidents the latter acts like a northern president.

2 Likes

Re: Jonathan Canvasses For Fiscal Federalism, Says System Would Work Better by Maduawuchukwu(m): 10:33pm On May 24, 2017
TonyeBarcanista:

Abacha had his in 1994.

The BIG question is,

What Stops Jonathan (and others) to implement his Confab resolution when he was in power?

BTW
The 2014 Confab (unlike 1994 and 2005) didn't conclude on derivation principle for Oil and Minerals producing states.
He organised a confab where people of different views were to represent their people and their desires. That is democracy. Or did u expect him to force his own decisions on them? Is restructuring not possible only when all parts of Nigeria agree?

2 Likes

Re: Jonathan Canvasses For Fiscal Federalism, Says System Would Work Better by luvinhubby(m): 10:34pm On May 24, 2017
TonyeBarcanista:

Abacha had his in 1994.

The BIG question is,

BTW

Abacha'"s confab gave us the 6 geo political zones and 13% derivation, Obasanjo's confab was a deceit aimed at amending the constitution to give him a third term and ended when the South-south was denied 25% derivation demand.

The 2014 confab is by far the most elaborate and thorough document that can address Nigeria's ills if implemented well.

2 Likes

Re: Jonathan Canvasses For Fiscal Federalism, Says System Would Work Better by TonyeBarcanista(m): 10:36pm On May 24, 2017
Maduawuchukwu:

He organised a confab where people of different views were to represent their people and their desires. That is democracy. Or did u expect him to force his own decisions on them? Is restructuring not possible only when all parts of Nigeria agree?
Abacha and Obasanjo also organised Confab.

Will you say both men tried?
Re: Jonathan Canvasses For Fiscal Federalism, Says System Would Work Better by luvinhubby(m): 10:42pm On May 24, 2017
samstradam:

Kindly post where the 2014 confab reached the conclusion that derivation formula must change or apologize to the poster you were arguing with.

Some people sef, if Jona tell them their mother and father are not their parents, they will accept.

Did you even read the whole post at all?

Goodluck's submission is on true fiscal federalism and NOT derivation. The 2104 confab agreed on fiscal federalism, in which states are allowed to harness resources to their individual benefits. It also removed certain items from the exclusive list, paving the way for the removal of federal bureaucratic bottlenecks from states, allowing each to develop what it has it's own way.

2 Likes

Re: Jonathan Canvasses For Fiscal Federalism, Says System Would Work Better by Maduawuchukwu(m): 10:51pm On May 24, 2017
TonyeBarcanista:
Abacha and Obasanjo also organised Confab.

Will you say both men tried?

Of course I will say good apart from OBJ's own which was fraudulent. OBJ has always been in a unitary Nigeria so he was just looking for 3rd term. Abachas confab introduced 13 percent derivation and geopolitical zones no be so?

1 Like

Re: Jonathan Canvasses For Fiscal Federalism, Says System Would Work Better by Maduawuchukwu(m): 10:58pm On May 24, 2017
But can't we decentralise little by little? Start with those less contentious parts and eventually we will get to the fractious ones.

1 Like

Re: Jonathan Canvasses For Fiscal Federalism, Says System Would Work Better by samstradam: 11:49pm On May 24, 2017
Maduawuchukwu:

Actually he might have been able to do something but you know that no good leader takes decisions without a major part of his people being at his back most especially for a major decision that involves revenue. If he had done it unilaterally; that is even if he had the power, he would have been a Niger-Delta president and not a Nigerian president. A resolution reached by the conference would have been better as it would have come from delegates who represented all parts of the country. And that is the difference between pple like Obj or GEJ then Buhari. Why the first two acted like Nigerian presidents the latter acts like a northern president.

I understand where you are coming from but what you don't realise was that OBJ, despite being roundly rejected by us in the West addressed our most poignant issue early in his first term, by crippling the ability of the North to rule us against our will using their favourite tool, the Army. This was no mean feat and is the single most important reason Yorubas supported him enmasse in 2004. He restructured the Nigerian power landscape and his original backers only realised it when it was too late to stop him!

The reason why I am pointing this out to you is to show that sometimes being motivated by sectional goals can actually be something that enriches all of us (Yoruba, Ijaw, Igbo etc) and being motivated by nothing (i.e. GEJ) can be a far worse alternative.

I put it to you that regional resource control would actually help the 5 other regions of Nigeria more in the long run because they would all be forced to sit up and face life the way it actually is. I mean would Northerners self inflict so much harm on their region if they knew their was no oil money to rebuild it? Would they allow Fulani herdsmen to destroy farms if they knew these crops will finance their budgets? Would we Yoruba continue with states like Ekiti that are not viable?

A president of the North that wants to kill Boko haram, bring back chibok girls and fight corruption is fine with me for now as long as he allows my Lagos to keep developing at its pace.

Eventually if his onesideness is not addressed, I will move on to the next local champion that will give me what I believe is important for my region and hopefully my country to move on.
Re: Jonathan Canvasses For Fiscal Federalism, Says System Would Work Better by Maduawuchukwu(m): 12:07am On May 25, 2017
samstradam:

I understand where you are coming from but what you don't realise was that OBJ, despite being roundly rejected by us in the West addressed our most poignant issue early in his first term, by crippling the ability of the North to rule us against our will using their favourite tool, the Army. This was no mean feat and is the single most important reason Yorubas supported him enmasse in 2004. He restructured the Nigerian power landscape and his original backers only realised it when it was too late to stop him!

The reason why I am pointing this out to you is to show that sometimes being motivated by sectional goals can actually be something that enriches all of us (Yoruba, Ijaw, Igbo etc) and being motivated by nothing (i.e. GEJ) can be a far worse alternative.

I put it to you that regional resource control would actually help the 5 other regions of Nigeria more in the long run because they would all be forced to sit up and face life the way it actually is. I mean would Northerners self inflict so much harm on their region if they knew their was no oil money to rebuild it? Would they allow Fulani herdsmen to destroy farms if they knew these crops will finance their budgets? Would we Yoruba continue with states like Ekiti that are not viable?

A president of the North that wants to kill Boko haram, bring back chibok girls and fight corruption is fine with me for now as long as he allows my Lagos to keep developing at its pace.

Eventually if his onesideness is not addressed, I will move on to the next local champion that will give me what I believe is important for my region and hopefully my country to move on.

What OBJ did to the north was a patriotic duty. Breaking the evil yoke a part of a country has over another is good but revenue is a different matter most especially in a country where the ruling elite killed all the other regions means of livelihood just cause of oil fixation. If Nigeria must remain one country the issue of revenue must be sorted out neatly so that each part has something to hold on to. You can pontificate as much as you want but you know that there is not suppose to be a massive difference in economic well being between different parts of a country so the revenue issue must be done carefully with support of most of the country. Even if GEJ increased Niger-Delta revenue via constitutional provision providing for 13% and above another president could return it backwards to 13% because no law regulates it. So the issue is not that simple.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

Senators Who Say Nothing, And Do Nothing At The National Assembly / Rivers State Governor Pictured With C.ronaldo / Really APC NEC Meeting: Gov. Akeredolu Was Disgraced

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.