Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,940 members, 7,821,295 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 11:03 AM

Guus Hiddink Ready To Usurp Rafael Benitez - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Guus Hiddink Ready To Usurp Rafael Benitez (595 Views)

Rafael Nadal Knocked-out Of Wimbledon 2013 In 1st Round Match / Rafael Nadal Wins Eighth French Open Title / Rafael Nadal Vs Roger Federer Who Is The Best? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Guus Hiddink Ready To Usurp Rafael Benitez by AndreUweh(m): 10:50pm On Jan 15, 2010
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1243361/Guus-Hiddink-closes-embattled-Liverpool-boss-Rafael-Benitez-Chelsea-coach-admits-jump-Kop-job.html
Guus Hiddink closes in on embattled Liverpool boss Rafael Benitez as former Chelsea coach admits he would jump at Kop job
By John Edwards and Matt Lawton

Guus Hiddink has put himself in the frame to replace Rafa Benitez as Liverpool manager but will first seek the approval of Chelsea owner Roman Abramovich.
The Dutchman, who was a huge success during a four-month spell at Chelsea last year, is set to leave his job as coach of Russia and has told friends he would relish the challenge at Anfield.
Hiddink’s menacing presence in the wings came as Benitez suffered the devastating blow of losing three vital players to injury — Fernando Torres for six weeks, Steven Gerrard for a fortnight and Yossi Benayoun for a month.

Waiting in the wings: Guus Hiddink has intensified pressure on Liverpool boss Rafa Benitez by admitting he'd jump at the chance to boss the Anfield club
Benitez is likely to survive the season despite the humiliating FA Cup loss to Reading on Wednesday. The home defeat sparked fury among Liverpool fans, who flooded radio phone-ins and internet forums with demands that he be sacked.
Hiddink, 63 and a veteran of three World Cups, is still to thrash out the terms of his departure from Russia but sources close to him have revealed he is desperate for a second opportunity in the Barclays Premier League. He will consult Abramovich, who has stopped funding his £6.25million-a-year salary as Russia coach, before making up his mind.

Hiddink said: ‘I have to speak to the federation president before making any decision on my future, but it is true that I would like to coach in England again. After all the support I’ve received from Roman Abramovich I owe it to them to discuss anything with them first.’
Just when Benitez thought things could not get worse, he was buffeted by a torrent of bad news on the injury front. Torres was found to have torn a cartilage in his right knee in the opening minutes on Wednesday, and Gerrard strained a hamstring and will miss the away games with Stoke and Wolves and the Anfield clash with Tottenham next Wednesday.

Spanish pain: Benitez sees Torres limp off on Tuesday and the striker has called for new players
Torres can add Everton, Arsenal and Manchester City to the catalogue of key Premier League fixtures he will have to sit out, and there was a further setback when it was revealed that Benayoun had cracked a rib.
Benitez’s reputation, so long defended on Merseyside, now seems irreparably damaged.
Ronnie Whelan, a key member of Liverpool’s midfield in the 1980s, issued a withering condemnation.
He said: ‘I think he should have gone a long time ago. The whole club is struggling — the owners, the club’s in debt, the players are not good enough, the manager’s not good enough. I don’t know where they go.’
Torres also added to the pressure on the club’s owners by saying: ‘This season should have been the turning point for us, the chance to do something great. It is now the owners’ turn. They have to sign players, so that this does not happen again.
‘If we want to compete with Manchester United and Chelsea, we need a much, much more complete squad,’ he says in an interview to be published in Four Four Two magazine.

Bust-up: Club sources have denied a fall-out between Bentiez and Gerrard
‘We need more genuinely first-class players, and we also cannot let our best players go.’
Club insiders denied rumours of a bust-up between Benitez and Gerrard at half time against Reading. The skipper had complained of a twinge in his hamstring and a dispute is believed to have evolved with another member of staff.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1243361/Guus-Hiddink-closes-embattled-Liverpool-boss-Rafael-Benitez-Chelsea-coach-admits-jump-Kop-job.html
Re: Guus Hiddink Ready To Usurp Rafael Benitez by AndreUweh(m): 10:54pm On Jan 15, 2010
Nairalanders, would you support Roman Abramovich torelease G.Hiddink to go and rescue Liverpool FC at this time of meltdown?.

(1) (Reply)

Four Reasons Why Amoudu Must Be Sacked Now! / Amodu Admits, Nigeria Did Not Play Well / Afcon Angola 2010 Semi Finalist

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.