Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,786 members, 7,810,051 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 07:24 PM

Tips/ Advantages & Disadvantages On The Different Procedures Of Making Dreads - Fashion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Fashion / Tips/ Advantages & Disadvantages On The Different Procedures Of Making Dreads (11152 Views)

5 Advantages Of Darkskin Over Lightskin / A Thread For Dreads/Dreadlocks / How To Care For Baby Locs/dreads. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Tips/ Advantages & Disadvantages On The Different Procedures Of Making Dreads by hadexman(m): 10:33am On Jan 16, 2010
Dear Nairalanders,

Which is the best and fastest way of keeping dreads? There are various types which are:

Backcombing

Advantages: Hair looks like dreads the same day and reaches maturity faster than other methods. You can control the size and shape of the dreads, anywhere from thick and smooth to thin and sexy. It is an all natural method. Backcombing will work on all hair lengths 3" and longer.

Disadvantages:
The initial dreading takes a few hours and is pretty labor intensive, nothing a good friend or two can't handle. The best way to back comb is to take your time and make the dreads as smooth and tight as possible.

Wool Sweater or Wool Hat rubbing

Advantages: [/b]The main advantage to the rubbing method is that if you happen to own something wool you can get started right away. It is an all natural method. You can do it yourself.
[b]
Disadvantages:
It hurts like hell and the dreads that it makes vary greatly in size and do not look very good. Hair will usually need to be cut after trying this method so you will have to grow out your hair again before trying another method.

Neglect

Advantages: [/b]You can do it without assistance. It is the easiest method. No special tools or products are needed, just time.
[b]
Disadvantages:
It takes at least 3 years to start looking like dreads in most hair types. You need to have about 10" of hair for the knots to start forming. The dreads form unevenly, some dreads will be huge and flat, others skinny. People usually get sick of having nasty hair and cut it off long before they get dreads.

Dread perming

Dread perming

Advantages: It's like instant dreads.

Disadvantages:
It is a chemical process. Dreads formed by perming often require professional maintenance. Cost, $200-$400! It's like instant dreads.

Twisting

Advantages: It is all natural. You have control over the size of the dreads and how they form. Many salons are familiar with this method and the cost is usually much lower than a dread perm.

Disadvantages:
It only works in African textured hair but that doesn't mean salons won't try it on Caucasian hair!

Crocheting Dreadlocks

It's no secret that locking hair with a crochet hook is thorough, instant and chemical-free.

Am currently doing the crocheting type, I don't know if it's faster!
Re: Tips/ Advantages & Disadvantages On The Different Procedures Of Making Dreads by mamagee3(f): 9:30pm On Jan 16, 2010
I would try making that. wink
Re: Tips/ Advantages & Disadvantages On The Different Procedures Of Making Dreads by hadexman(m): 7:22am On Jan 17, 2010
Please guys, which is the fastest way to make long dreads.
Re: Tips/ Advantages & Disadvantages On The Different Procedures Of Making Dreads by mohawkchic(f): 7:44am On Jan 18, 2010
~I did the Rubbing method many moons ago w/ Bee's Wax . . .The "Tool" that was used however was a local body scrub that had holes in it. . we call it "Sapoo" . . you prolly know what i'm on about but dunno what you guys call it. . .

~It did hurt the first time b/c of the vigorous way the hairdresses was doing the clock wise motions to set the hair in medium clumps. . but i got used to it fast & was DIY-ing myself once the hair was done professionally. . .
Re: Tips/ Advantages & Disadvantages On The Different Procedures Of Making Dreads by hadexman(m): 8:14am On Jan 18, 2010
I know this method and have done it before, It doesn't make your dreads grow longer. Take a look at the below.

Re: Tips/ Advantages & Disadvantages On The Different Procedures Of Making Dreads by mohawkchic(f): 8:34am On Jan 18, 2010
~My hair did grow tho. . so i suppose each case differs. . .My clumps were almost finger size thick. . like the Tail combed twists. . .

~I had no intension of growing my hair in dreads actually. . .I was just experimenting w/ the hairstyle. .loved how Low maintenance it was & had it for almost a year before shaving it off. . .

~This was 12/13 yrs ago tho. .
Re: Tips/ Advantages & Disadvantages On The Different Procedures Of Making Dreads by hadexman(m): 12:22pm On Jan 18, 2010
Oh OK. That's nice to hear smiley

(1) (Reply)

A Thread For Dreads/Dreadlocks / Look Through Our Ankara/lace Styles In Vogue / 19-year-old Kristina Dimitrova from Bulgaria Wins World Bottom Beauty Pageant

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.