Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,802 members, 7,841,117 topics. Date: Sunday, 26 May 2024 at 09:15 PM

Why I Want To Send One Million Books To African Univ. Libraries - Philip Alabi - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Why I Want To Send One Million Books To African Univ. Libraries - Philip Alabi (262 Views)

China Opens World’s Coolest Library With 1.2 Million Books / Why I Want To Send One Million Books To African Universities - Philip Alabi / Why I Want To Send One Million Books To African Univ. Libraries - Philip Alabi (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why I Want To Send One Million Books To African Univ. Libraries - Philip Alabi by sunky97: 4:23pm On May 27, 2017
www.Tellmystory.com.ng Came across a young and dynamic Philip Alabi, a Nigerian with a strong vision for helping Nigerian and African students to access resources needed in their quest for learning.

[center]Who is Philip Alabi[/center]

Philip Alabi , a graduate student of Chemistry at Southern Illinois University Edwardsville (from May 2016-March 2017) who was also the first to run a book drive to deliver over 1000 books from SIUE to his Alma-mater, – Tai Solarin University of Education, Nigeria. The idea, according to him, started when he noticed how many books are thrown away every year by American universities. He decided to collect them, raise some funds, and send them to his home school.

[center]About efiwe.org[/center]

Efiwe is a non-profit organization based in the US that hopes to collect relevant post-secondary textbooks and send them to tertiary institution libraries in Africa. This is to help students gain access to resources needed and increase the quality of education received in these institutions. The need for access to relevant resources like books, equipment, journals etc. are fundamental to educational institutions and their success.
Any current or past student in public African tertiary institution will immediately see the utter lack of resources and the student’s struggle to seek knowledge amidst this lack of resources. efiwe.org is a non-profit organization that was initiated in March 2017 to give African post-secondary institution students access to the relevant materials needed for success in their tertiary education. With a mission to send over one million (1,000,000) books to African post-secondary Institution libraries by 2030, The goals are fixed.

In the words of the founder, Philip Alabi – “My ultimate desire will be to see these books in the hands of a student (back home) enjoying the read and learning new things from the texts, illustrations and pictures displayed. The lasting social and economic change that comes from more Africans knowing better is what I seek to achieve.”
efiwe.org was conceived after a similar book drive ran by the founder Philip Alabi saw the delivery of about 800 books from the US to Tai Solarin University of Education (his alma mater). He has ever since been motivated to attempt similar feat but with more scale and reach. efiwe.org aims to have student organizations all over the US conduct book drives and send these books to different tertiary institutions in Africa.
Current needs of the project are listed below: ·
Recruiting more volunteers in the US for book collection and recruiting volunteers as writers (location doesn’t matter) ·
Recruiting volunteers in Africa for logistics and reaching out to institutions ·
Forging partnerships with tertiary institutions ·
Forging partnerships with corporations and organizations for delivery of the goals of efiwe.org and value exchange.
See efiwe.org to read more.

Read More:

http://tellmystory.com.ng/why-i-want-to-send-one-million-books-to-african-university-libraries-by-2030-with-efiwe-org-philip-alabi/

The aim of efiwe.org is to collect books here in the US and send to tertiary Institution libraries in Africa Our strategy is to collect the books here and upload the book details to a platform online (currently being built by 11 volunteer developers in Nigeria), the books will then be accessed and selected by Tertiary Institutions in Africa. Then there will be fund raising and the selected books will be shipped to selected African University libraries.
Who will collect the books in the US? The books will be collected by running book drives in US Universities. The book drives will be run by a student organization separately registered in the US University for this goal.

Please feel free to reach us +13123990694 | whatsapp: +16182160266 |+2347039818617 info@efiwe.org, www.efiwe.org, @efiwengo(twitter)https://www.facebook.com/efiweNGO/

http://tellmystory.com.ng/why-i-want-to-send-one-million-books-to-african-university-libraries-by-2030-with-efiwe-org-philip-alabi/

Re: Why I Want To Send One Million Books To African Univ. Libraries - Philip Alabi by KvnqPrezo(m): 4:25pm On May 27, 2017
H
Re: Why I Want To Send One Million Books To African Univ. Libraries - Philip Alabi by LordCrimson(m): 4:39pm On May 27, 2017
Sir,When it comes to this part of Africa, We don't need 1million books,Instead share 1million naira to each Traditional ruler for onward delivery and watch we,The youths burn tires and carry placards demanding our share!! It'll be fun grin
Re: Why I Want To Send One Million Books To African Univ. Libraries - Philip Alabi by Nobody: 4:54pm On May 27, 2017
Whoever the media aide of this man is.. Trust me, he/she is really good in what he/she does.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Guide To Gaining Original Admission At Abia State University. / JAMBITES Join Now On Facebook / Why You Need An Ecommerce Website

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.