Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,741 members, 7,955,828 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 04:17 PM

National Association Of Nigerian Students - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / National Association Of Nigerian Students (767 Views)

Strike: ASUU Chairman Asks Nigerian Students For Their Cooperation / Webometrics Ranking Of Nigerian Universities (2020) / Aruna Kadiri Visits Turkey Over Arrest Of Nigerian Students (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

National Association Of Nigerian Students by OgunSamson(m): 4:59pm On May 29, 2017
THE RECOUNT OF AN EPOCH MAKING NANS PRESIDENT - Comr. Ogunwoye Samson Gbemiga

As a young adventurer into the voyage of National Association of Nigerian Student's escalade, I must confess that I belong to a new breed of student movement. As a student, and also a young man with alacrity to contribute his quota to the betterment of the world around him, I ventured into student's unionism.

I understood clearly that my knowledge of the present would be lame without a clear picture of the time before, just like my historian would say, "he forever remains a kid, he who does not care to know the world before he was born".

My expedient expedition into the historical trajectory of student's unionism in Nigeria pointed to Ladipo Solanke as the frontrunner in the business as he spearheaded the formation of West African Student Union (WASU) in 1926. Little we know that Awolowo, Azikwe, Ahmadu Bello, Akintola and other nationalists were firstly groomed as student unionists in their early time, this prepared them for the role they performed in the days of nationalism.

The establishment of University college of Ibadan in the late 1940s domesticated a vibrant Unionism in Nigeria. This led to emergence of National Organization of Nigerian Students (NONS) that intransigently fought against second slavery that could had become Nigeria fate with the ratification of Anglo-Nigeria Defence Pact of 1962. The movement was later changed to National Union of Nigerian Students after the civil war, one of the epoch making Student's leader of that era was Olusegun Okeowo that championed the popular struggle of "Ali Must Go" in late 1970s.

Military junta of Olusegun Obasanjo suspended NUNS and incarcerated some of the freedom loving leaders. But the return to democracy in 1979 made NUNS to return in 1981, not as NUNS again, but as NANS, a name that is maintained to this present moment. NANS under articulate and indefatigable leaders stood against imperialist innovated SAP of Babangida Junta in 1986, also, NANS was at the forefront in the struggle to defend the popular mandate of June 12, 1993. But in a period of about two decades, the student's union movement in Nigeria has lost focus, the prebendalists mounted the arena and the struggle became a toothless bull dog. Infact, Obasanjo that suspended NUNS and incarcerated it leaders in 70s was honoured by NANS leaders in the mid 2000s. This is a total aberration of what Student Union stood for in the time past.

Also, it must be painstakingly stated for the sake of record that I was a staunch support of Comr. Igwe Ude Umanta during the electioneering process of 2016 NANS convention. In fact, I mobilized my media artillery in his favour. A decision that I never regret. But following the unfolding realities of the aftermath of Gombe Convention, it became apparent that the emergence of Chinonso Obasi (Comrade IBB) was a work of divine Providence to bring about revivification in NANS.

My admiration for his leadership dexterity brings me closer to him, and I must confess, the glaring realities have shown that NANS has gotten to another epoch in the history of her existence. Comrade IBB has supplied a clear voice and vision to the genuine emancipation of Nigerian Students. His approach to issues are always conceptualized on the pedestal of objectivity.

In fact, Nigerian Students have regained their rightful position at the centre of decision making in the nation. Comrade IBB has taken back Student's Unionism to the campus, for the first time in two decades, students of my calibre in their mid 20s could have free access to the NANS President while contributing their quotas to the continue struggle for emancipation. I was fortunate to be with Comrade IBB some days ago, guess what? He received a call from unknown Nigerian domiciling in the faraway land of Germany, during the phone conversation, the person categorically said that he lost confidence in NANS some long years ago, but with the reality on ground under the leadership of Comrade IBB, he saw that the dusk is over, and a new dawn has come.

A detribalized Nigerian per action, Comrade IBB has shown it overtly and covertly that his only interest is to supply articulated voice and vision to the genuine student's struggle in Nigeria. His idiosyncrasy shows lucidly that he is only competing with nobody but his good conscience, and also devoted to the service of the Nigerian Students.

I have no doubt that Chinonso Obasi (Comrade IBB) has carved a niche for himself and he has written his name in the heart of history as the history of contemporary NANS would be centered around his momentum contributions as the epoch making emancipator.

Writing from University of Abuja. Comr. Ogunwoye Samson Gbemiga (Ogunsamson).
P.R.O of NANS, JCC, FCT Abuja.

Re: National Association Of Nigerian Students by whitebeard(m): 5:19pm On May 29, 2017
nawa ooo, everybody now has association, even slay queens and beggars have association..!!

(1) (Reply)

10 Best Medical Schools In Nigeria (completed) / NECO 2017 C.R.S Questions And Answers Here!!! / TBT, How Many Of Us Did This Way Back In Junior Class.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.