Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,159 members, 7,818,529 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 06:01 PM

Female Inheritance In Igbo Land - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Female Inheritance In Igbo Land (1405 Views)

Supreme Court’s Decision On Female Inheritance Divides Igbos / African-americans Trace Roots To Igbo Land / Part Of Igbo Land Where You Mustn’t Kill A Python (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Female Inheritance In Igbo Land by gare(f): 9:50pm On May 29, 2017
Please I do need urgent advice form lawyers in the house, my friend an Igbo lady just lost her dad, and her brothers are seriously fighting to takeover the father's estate and leaving she and the sister empty handed, please we do need wise counsel from the house.

Please only serious comments needed.

Moderator pls take it to front page it is urgent
Re: Female Inheritance In Igbo Land by delishpot: 9:53pm On May 29, 2017
In some Igbo cultures girls dont inherit but she can try going the legal way I believe if the property is not on ancestral land, she should be able to inherit something. What girls don't inherit in Igbo land is mostly ancestral homes and farmlands. It is kept for sons to keep the linage going .
Re: Female Inheritance In Igbo Land by Young03(m): 10:15pm On May 29, 2017
I will not talk because if i should talk on this matter as an igbo man, i will get more than 50 mentions befor 2moro ends

consult d elders in d community

1 Like

Re: Female Inheritance In Igbo Land by gare(f): 10:40pm On May 29, 2017
delishpot:
In some Igbo cultures girls dont inherit but she can try going the legal way I believe if the property is not on ancestral land, she should be able to inherit something. What girls don't inherit in Igbo land is mostly ancestral homes and farmlands. It is kept for sons to keep the linage going .

The properties incontention are not in the village or ancestral home, but the ones in the city.
Re: Female Inheritance In Igbo Land by PEPPERified: 10:41pm On May 29, 2017
Femles have rights to inheritance in Igbo land, ny custom that bars any female from inheriting is repugnant to eqyity, natural justice and good conscience. contact me for further legal advice.
Re: Female Inheritance In Igbo Land by delishpot: 10:59pm On May 29, 2017
gare:

The properties incontention are not in the village or ancestral home, but the ones in the city.

Then she should seek the counsel of a lawyer. I hope she finds help and gets part of her father's property. How can siblings turn greedy over money? Na wa ọ.
Re: Female Inheritance In Igbo Land by bigfrancis21: 1:11am On May 30, 2017
gare:

Please I do need urgent advice form lawyers in the house, my friend an Igbo lady just lost her dad, and her brothers are seriously fighting to takeover the father's estate and leaving she and the sister empty handed, please we do need wise counsel from the house.

Unfortunately in native Igbo customs women do not inherit from their father's house as it is believed they'll belong to their husband or future husband's family and inherit from him. However some Igbo families may not follow this custom especially if the father writes a will instructing how his estate should be divided or shared. Your friend needs to find out if her father wrote or prepared a will. If her father had a lawyer while alive, she should approach the lawyer to ask this. If he did write a will and apportioned some estate to her and her sister, then those are hers, legally binding. In the absence of a will, it may be a difficult family affair except if her brothers decide to give her some part of their father's estate (if she's close to them) or a senior uncle in the family intervenes in the matter. In the absence of a will,n your friend should approach a senior male family member on her father's side (umunna) who's fair enough about her interest in having a share of her father's estate. He may be able to influence her brothers to give her some part of it. It's not going to be easy but it is doable.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Female Inheritance In Igbo Land by RedboneSmith(m): 4:30pm On May 30, 2017
If the dad left the girls something in the will, then your friend has a case. She can go to the lawyers.

If however there's no will, or there is one but the dad left everything for the boys, then sorry for her. Lawyers won't be able to help.

1 Like

Re: Female Inheritance In Igbo Land by PEPPERified: 7:45pm On May 30, 2017
gare:

I saw an indication of your email, but did not get any mail. contact me neobi35@gmail.com
with or without a will, she is entitled to partake in her father's estate
Re: Female Inheritance In Igbo Land by Charleys: 7:16pm On Sep 21, 2019
You can only inherit if you're the first daughter.... The Ada.

But if you're not then you should go get married. Your inheritance is in your husband's house.

(1) (Reply)

Yoruba Technology / Beautiful Kenyans / Meet The Newly 24-year-old Crowned King Of Delta State, Nduka Ezeagwuna

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.