Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,593 members, 7,812,939 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 11:04 PM

Nigeria Ranks 114 Out Of 128 In Innovation Index 2016 - Science/Technology - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Nigeria Ranks 114 Out Of 128 In Innovation Index 2016 (6454 Views)

Digital Innovation: Microsoft Partners With Access Bank / Africa – A Future In Innovation, Youth, Industry, And Entrepreneurship / Nigeria Ranks 137th In ICT Development Index (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria Ranks 114 Out Of 128 In Innovation Index 2016 by gabonsky: 5:01am On May 30, 2017
The Global Innovation Index (GII) 2016 has ranked Nigeria 114th out of 128 countries globally surveyed and considered to be innovating and thinking ahead.The 423-page document obtained by The Guardian, yesterday, showed that about 19 countries including Mauritius, South Africa, Morocco, Tunisia, Kenya, Rwanda, Malawi, Uganda, Tanzania, Ghana, among others in Africa are investing in innovation and are far ahead of Nigeria.

Painfully, Nigeria is placed slightly above countries including Benin Republic, Burkina Faso, Niger, Cameroun, Zambia, Togo and Guinea in terms of innovation.

The report, which claimed that Nigeria was performing below its level of development, said Kenya, Malawi, Mozambique, Rwanda, and Uganda stand out for being innovation achievers at least four times in the past five years.

The GII puts Information and Communications Technology (ICT) access and use in Nigeria at 28.2 per cent and 18. 1 per cent respectively, with government’s online service and e-participation put at 30.7 per cent and 33.3 per cent respectively, which it described as low.

Indeed, innovation is important at all stages of development; specifically, the creation and diffusion of technologies are important for economic growth and welfare across all economies. The implication of not innovating and developing means that the country may remain a dumping ground for all forms of technologies from other countries.

Experts have however, blamed the slow pace of Information and Communications Technology (ICT) growth in Nigeria on poor and non-implementation of policies that can drive growth with a charge on both ministers of Communications and Science and Technology, Adebayo Shittu and Dr. Ogbonaya Onu, respectively to match policies with actions so that the country can be at par with other developed nations.

“I don’t see why we will have as a nation two important ministries, I mean Communications and Science and Technology and nothing developmental and innovating are happening,” said Kehinde Aluko, a telecoms expert.

The report ranked Switzerland first in the world with 66.3 per cent level of innovation with an efficiency ratio of 0.94 per cent against world’s 0.65 per cent. Sweden is second with 63.6 per cent and 0.86 per cent efficiency ratio; United Kingdom; United States of America; Finland ranked third, fourth and fifth with 61.93 per cent (0.83 per cent efficiency ratio); 61.40 per cent (0.79 per cent efficiency ratio) and 59.90 per cent (0.75 per cent efficiency ratio).

Nigeria, according to the GII, has an innovation index of 23.15 per cent and efficiency ratio of 0.57 per cent. Mauritius and South Africa, the two countries ranked highest in Africa have their GIIs put at 35.86 per cent (0.57 per cent efficiency ratio) and 35.85 per cent (0.55 per cent efficiency ratio) respectively.

Source: https://gabrielatanbiyi..com.ng/2017/05/nigeria-ranks-114-out-of-128-in.html

Re: Nigeria Ranks 114 Out Of 128 In Innovation Index 2016 by bewla(m): 5:17am On May 30, 2017
t
Re: Nigeria Ranks 114 Out Of 128 In Innovation Index 2016 by RealLordZeus(m): 5:19am On May 30, 2017
Adebayo shittu!!!! Is that one a minister?

12 Likes

Re: Nigeria Ranks 114 Out Of 128 In Innovation Index 2016 by gabonsky: 5:31am On May 30, 2017
RealLordZeus:
Adebayo shittu!!!! Is that one a minister?

lo, who put am for there?

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Ranks 114 Out Of 128 In Innovation Index 2016 by Feraz(m): 7:46am On May 30, 2017
LOL!!! What do you expect? When we've 'abandoned' funding education especially STEM, do you expect to be innovative? This is not to take out the various contributions of the different persons that made us attain the 114th position. That painfully part had me laughing! I'd rather an Omobola Johnson than a Shittu who looks clueless on that position.

It's painful sha...

Where is Japan, Israel, South Korea, Germany etc. on the list? Thought these countries would be among the top seven?? What about Estonia in terms of ICT?

CC: Xdos

Lalasticlala, this deserves front page... Don't you think?
Re: Nigeria Ranks 114 Out Of 128 In Innovation Index 2016 by xdos(m): 10:48am On May 30, 2017
Like you didnt hear our minister say Nigeria will start producing pencils 2019.
The truth is our Universities are brain drain.
The only thing our schools prepare us for is how to seek and apply for jobs. They teach us how to speak good English.
Nigerians are intelligent I must say. When they leave the shores of this nation, they do well.
I struggled to make a decent grade here in Nigeria but when I went to states for a training which they considered tough, I came out the best overall. I have friends and some other people who have same experience.
The govt needs to be serious and invest heavily in our universities. Schools should be equipped. Our teachers/lecturers need to be trained and retrained. We should have functional research institutes.
We cant keep wasting brains.. Now a lot of our youths have found solace in fraudulent activities... Most are yahoo boys now.
I really do fear for this country..

23 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigeria Ranks 114 Out Of 128 In Innovation Index 2016 by oseiwe(m): 12:46pm On May 30, 2017
Its expected. I am expecting the senate to raise a panel of enquiry as usual, and the ministers to talk rubbish. If they stumble on this though.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Ranks 114 Out Of 128 In Innovation Index 2016 by gabonsky: 1:52pm On May 30, 2017
xdos:
The only thing our schools prepare us for is how to seek and apply for jobs. They teach us how to speak good English.
Nigerians are intelligent I must say. When they leave the shores of this nation, they do well.
I struggled to make a decent grade here in Nigeria but when I went to states for a training which they considered tough, I came out the best overall. I have friends and some other people who have same experience.
The govt needs to be serious and invest heavily in our universities. Schools should be equipped. Our teachers/lecturers need to be trained and retrained. We should have functional research institutes.
We cant keep wasting brains.. Now a lot of our youth have found solace in fraudulent activities... Most are yahoo boys now.

we will get there probably in 2050
Re: Nigeria Ranks 114 Out Of 128 In Innovation Index 2016 by xdos(m): 3:07pm On May 30, 2017
I wish we can... The govt is not even making effort towards that. Even if it is 2050, no probs.. let d govt start something.
gabonsky:

we will get there probably in 2050

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Ranks 114 Out Of 128 In Innovation Index 2016 by Feraz(m): 10:02am On Jun 02, 2017
xdos:
We cant keep wasting brains.. Now a lot of our youths have found solace in fraudulent activities... Most are yahoo boys now.
2018 actually! Be that as it may, I just shook my head once he said that! China is building/has built a quantum computer and we are here, thinking of pencils not even bicycles!

5 Likes

Re: Nigeria Ranks 114 Out Of 128 In Innovation Index 2016 by Xzbit91: 7:12am On Jun 03, 2017
grin grin grin
I'm shocked we even ranked at all. We value BBN and telemundo more than research and knowledge in this country.

10 Likes

Re: Nigeria Ranks 114 Out Of 128 In Innovation Index 2016 by Nobody: 7:13am On Jun 03, 2017
Re: Nigeria Ranks 114 Out Of 128 In Innovation Index 2016 by coldsummer: 7:13am On Jun 03, 2017
The only innovation we know is how to make jokes about every serious national issues, how to commit visa and internet fraud, vote for the highest paying politician and the begin to insult them afterwards.

Yea Kenya that we think is a weird place is far above Nigeria on all fronts.

All we do is sit Down and make jokes about other countries thinking Nigeria is better. Even the ones that have not travelled out of Nigeria or their states.

If I will give anything to Nigeria is dressing well and looking pretty. Unfortunately that doesn't put food on the table

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Ranks 114 Out Of 128 In Innovation Index 2016 by NCP: 7:14am On Jun 03, 2017
APC is innovative with Recession, Bad Policies and Propaganda.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Ranks 114 Out Of 128 In Innovation Index 2016 by Redoil: 7:15am On Jun 03, 2017
Innovation my foot. If you want to make it as a nigeria join politics and you will be as rich as fashola and amaechi combine then just throw crumbs at some people you will leave in peace
Re: Nigeria Ranks 114 Out Of 128 In Innovation Index 2016 by mesoprogress(m): 7:16am On Jun 03, 2017
This country is in big shi*t. We lack qualified science and math teachers. It's the same ediots that passed exams through malpractice that are now teaching in schools.

Our government another useless entity. Is not our government that was pushing to increase Internet tariffs? Penetration is poor and they want to make it worse so that they can generate more revenue to steal in their pockets?

How can we innovate when Government is taxing citizens like tomorrow no dey during recession? Pump price increased, bank charges, etc. When US entered recession, Obama released excess money into the economy and helped ailing companies.

How can we innovate when we are still grappling with fundamental human needs - food, shelter and clothing?

How can we innovate when all Nigerians think that mineral resources are true resources, when true resources are people and should be properly invested in in form of quality education and training?

How can we innovate when we place premium on paper certificate rather than skills and intelligence?

How can we innovate when we enthroned mediocrity in Education in form of quota system of education?

The list is endless, what is against us is endless. Those shouting one Nigeria are Nigeria's greatest enemies

5 Likes

Re: Nigeria Ranks 114 Out Of 128 In Innovation Index 2016 by telim: 7:20am On Jun 03, 2017
Re: Nigeria Ranks 114 Out Of 128 In Innovation Index 2016 by Nobody: 7:20am On Jun 03, 2017
What do you all expect? A country​ where there are no research centers, zero educational standards, 100% praise of mediocrity...
Nothing works, yet some Nairalanders will be here saying don't travel Nigeria is better than some places in America, UK, Scotland, Germany, Spain, etc

My wish is for every youth to have an opportunity to leave this country.
Realistically there's no hope for this country... Things will continue​ like this till either there's a military coup, or a civil war.
Truthfully there's no hope for this country at all until something happens that either kills off these politicians or well good bye Nigeria

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Ranks 114 Out Of 128 In Innovation Index 2016 by aku626(m): 7:20am On Jun 03, 2017
Im not surprised. It's just gonna be the same until we are able to hold our leaders responsible for their crimes and change the mindset of the youths. with this report any responsible leader should step down or come public to plead for mercy. Info tech minister?? Education ministry??

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Ranks 114 Out Of 128 In Innovation Index 2016 by samtee37(m): 7:21am On Jun 03, 2017
No no...... Í thought creating thousands of emails is also innovation and achievements nw... As been stated by our minister grin grin

Na sleep dem Sabi, how will they be innovative....

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Ranks 114 Out Of 128 In Innovation Index 2016 by Nobody: 7:22am On Jun 03, 2017
I did not even expect to see Nigeria on the list!!
In Nigeria we only import and copy!!
Re: Nigeria Ranks 114 Out Of 128 In Innovation Index 2016 by Paperwhite(m): 7:23am On Jun 03, 2017
[/b]"The 423-page document obtained by The Guardian, yesterday, showed that about 19 countries including Mauritius, South Africa, Morocco, Tunisia, Kenya, Rwanda, Malawi, Uganda, Tanzania, Ghana, among others in Africa are investing in innovation and are far ahead of Nigeria."[b] See where "Change" have landed us. undecided Just take a look @ Nigeria's communication/ICT or Science & Technology(pencil production feat) ministers.You weep for this country.
Re: Nigeria Ranks 114 Out Of 128 In Innovation Index 2016 by Xzbit91: 7:28am On Jun 03, 2017
Paperwhite:
[/b]"The 423-page document obtained by The Guardian, yesterday, showed that about 19 countries including Mauritius, South Africa, Morocco, Tunisia, Kenya, Rwanda, Malawi, Uganda, Tanzania, Ghana, among others in Africa are investing in innovation and are far ahead of Nigeria."[b] See where "Change" have landed us.

You think Nigeria's educational system was implemented 2years ago? SMH undecided

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Ranks 114 Out Of 128 In Innovation Index 2016 by Daboomb: 7:29am On Jun 03, 2017
xdos:

Where is the money for that INVESTMENT IN EDUCATION going to come from, when our Legis-looters have arrogated a large chunk of the Budget to themselves (or don t you see Saraki and Dnio Melaye buying Sports car and bullet proof vehicles all over the place?), when about-to-retire Governors force their State Assemblies to make laws that will give them Biilions of Naira in retirement benefits every year, meanwhile, they are currently Ministers and Senators, still collecting salaries and jumbo allowances?

Look, let us be honest with ourselves. Until we (especially the Youths), develop the "balls" to march on these Politicians, get rid of them like J. J. Rawlings did in Ghana, until we stop thinking and viewing looters through th elense of Religion and tribe, until then, our index will eventually top the list at 118th.

For now, O.Y.O

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Ranks 114 Out Of 128 In Innovation Index 2016 by mikey2fin: 7:34am On Jun 03, 2017
What do you expect when morons in government are all brain dead??
Re: Nigeria Ranks 114 Out Of 128 In Innovation Index 2016 by Franzinni: 7:38am On Jun 03, 2017
And we have one of the brightest minds in africa, if not the world.

but then done brain wash us to all become artist...

Almost all the youths today is into music... That is why our music is going global imagine it was focused on technology...

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Ranks 114 Out Of 128 In Innovation Index 2016 by eezeribe(m): 7:40am On Jun 03, 2017
Nigerians are innovative in coining the words Afonja and Igbo.
While the rest are trying to win a talent haunt or reality show like BBnaija and project fame.
Yahoo boys and runs girls are also innovative...
# Wasted brains.

4 Likes

Re: Nigeria Ranks 114 Out Of 128 In Innovation Index 2016 by akaahs(m): 7:46am On Jun 03, 2017
We aren't suppose to be among, nigeria are not inventors or innovators WE ARE RECYCLERS
Re: Nigeria Ranks 114 Out Of 128 In Innovation Index 2016 by donestk(m): 7:46am On Jun 03, 2017
When youths waste time on nairaland hurling insults at each other tongue

Keep wasting.
Re: Nigeria Ranks 114 Out Of 128 In Innovation Index 2016 by soleexx(m): 7:56am On Jun 03, 2017
Its unfortunate ....Im an Innovator i have not less than 17 innovative idea mostly in Engineering sector with me.... I try to realease them here in naija but dey aint ready for it..... I will deliver it to those who need it ...#japanChinaYankee

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Ranks 114 Out Of 128 In Innovation Index 2016 by xdos(m): 8:09am On Jun 03, 2017
I say the same thing bro. Unfortunately its difficult to differential what is abnormal and what is normal in this country. Abnornal is the norm now. Someone enrolled in a MSc program in UNN.
First, they were tasked with refurbishing their class (i.e. buying AC, projectors and new slide vanes for their windows). Then they were made to organize seminars and cook for their Lecturers with their own money severally. The lecturers were even bold enough to tell the students to ensure they split each chicken into four parts. Time wont permit me to list other shameful acts by these lecturers. A 'whole UNN'. These are students who have paid their tuition fees oh. These lecturers make you feel they are doing you a favour.
So a lot of things in our schools need to be corrected. Schools should have standards. Infact that was why I said our lecturers need training. They need to be lectured on how to lecture.
Yes I also agree that the Jerry Rawlings system needs to take place in this country else... Nigeria requires total purge.

Daboomb:

(1) (2) (Reply)

How To Set Up A Power Inverter. / Build Your Own Mini, Solar Power Unit. My Experiences Shared 100%! / See How To Activate Your MTN Sim Card For 4G LTE Services

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.