Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,037 members, 7,835,498 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 10:56 AM

Letter From Lt.col. Ojukwu To Lt. Col.banjo 22nd August 1967 - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Letter From Lt.col. Ojukwu To Lt. Col.banjo 22nd August 1967 (2221 Views)

Captain Francis Osakwe Ferried Odumegwu Ojukwu To Safety (Photo) / Nigeria Army Pay Condolence Visit To Lt. Col Sakaba's Wife (photos) / Malami Asks Tony Ojukwu To Resume As NHRC Boss Without Senate Confirmation (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Letter From Lt.col. Ojukwu To Lt. Col.banjo 22nd August 1967 by inscreAF: 12:14pm On May 30, 2017
My dear Victor,

1. For some time now, you and I have been discussing the circumstances that have led to the current and inevitable disintegration of what was the Federation of Nigeria. We have been fully convinced that the aim of the Hausa/Fulani complex has ever been, and will ever remain, the total domination of every other part of what was known as the Federation of Nigeria. It is impossible to forget that the crisis which led to the army take over in January 1966, the coup of the Northern soldiers led by Gowon in July 1966, the wholesale and indiscriminate massacre of the people of what is now Biafra- and, to a less degree, the people of the Mid-West and West, including the Yorubas, were all the direct result of Hausa/Fulani attempt to subjugate and use as tools, the gallant people of Western Nigeria namely the Yorubas. We do not need to remind ourselves of the heavy losses in life and property suffered by the Yoruba people in their fight for justice and freedom during 1965.

2. Sharing.our belief that the people of Yorubaland have a right to live a life of equality and self-respect and justice free of domination and dictatorship from any quarter, you have both identified with the cause of the Biafra struggle for survival and expressed your determination to see the people of Yorubaland freed from Hausa/Fulani domination. We, the people of Biafra, for our part are willing and have decided to give you and the people of Yorubaland every assistance to achieve your aim.

3. After clearing the whole question with my Executive Council, I, as the Commander in Chief of the Biafran Armed Forces, have decided to place at your disposal Biafran forces, for the liberation of Yorubaland on the following clear conditions:- (i) You will have nothing to do with the Military Administrator in the Mid-West Territory during your sojourn there prior to your move to the West. (ii) The willingness and preparedness of Biafra to assist any part of the former Federation of Nigeria wishing and willing to liberate itself from the Hausa/Fulani domination, does not in anyway whatever imply any inclination on her part to compromise her sovereignty or preserve what remains of the defunct Federation of Nigeria. In other words, our sovereignty and break with Nigeria is irrevocable. Nothing must, therefore be said or done by you or any member of the Liberation Army to give a contrary impression. (iii) Biafra is determined to maintain and safeguard her sovereignty and ensure that her integrity and safety are never again threatened. (iv) Biafran troops will, after the liberation of the Yorubaland, remain in that territory only for as long as we in Biafra consider it necessary for the Yorubas to consolidate their position and sovereignty against any external threat. (v) On the liberation of the Yorubaland, you will be appointed as the Military Governor of that territory. (vi) The liberation of Western Nigeria will be a prelude to the liberation of all Yorubas up to the River Niger and the severance of all connections between the West and the North at Jebba. (vii) During the period of Biafrans troops’ presence in your territory, all political measures, statements or decrees shall be subject to the approval, in writing by myself or on my authority. (viii) Should our troops arrive and liberate Lagos, the government of the Republic of Biafra reserves the right to appoint a Military administrator for the territory. Such an Administrator will remain in office until a merger of that territory with Yorubaland is effected by Biafran troops. (ix) As soon as possible after your appointment as the Military Governor of Western Nigeria and separation of that territory from Nigeria, you and I must meet to discuss: (a) the duration of stay of Biafran troops in your territory; (b) the areas and subjects of cooperation between the liberated sovereign states of Western Nigeria, or by what name it may call itself, and Biafra.

4. I do not need to remind you that Biafra regards all Yoruba as friends. As such everything should be done, to ensure the minimum force and loss of life are involved in achieving the objective of liberation.

5. It is essential, in order to avoid misunderstanding or confusion, that all subsequent requests for support be formally made to me by you in writing.

6. Will you please signify in writing, your acceptance of the above conditions so that you may leave for Western Nigeria and lead the army of liberation.

Yours very sincerely, signed Lt. Col. Odumegwu Ojukwu,
Military Governor and Commander in Chief of Biafran Armed Forces.
culled from " A Break in the Silence : Lt. Col. Victor Adebukunola Banjo, pp.66-68, by F. Adetowun Ogunsheye, Spectrum Books, Ibadan, 2001". Provided by Prof. Olufemi Ojo

1 Share

Re: Letter From Lt.col. Ojukwu To Lt. Col.banjo 22nd August 1967 by dealslip(f): 12:33pm On May 30, 2017
Why Was The late Banjo killed.
Re: Letter From Lt.col. Ojukwu To Lt. Col.banjo 22nd August 1967 by inscreAF: 1:14pm On May 30, 2017
Why does it feel like Ojukwu was trying to enforce Biafra on southwest?

3 Likes

Re: Letter From Lt.col. Ojukwu To Lt. Col.banjo 22nd August 1967 by clingtonpaul(m): 1:18pm On May 30, 2017
Dats always d mistake love brotherly trust to yorubas frm the igbo.I dnt think apart frm language Der is good far difference BTW dem 2.I pray I don suffer such fate cos I hv so much loved mayb trusted friends from der.leave it dey are humane apart frm d recent radicalized m among dem.these ones will change der history and quality nw or in futher. time shall judge.
Re: Letter From Lt.col. Ojukwu To Lt. Col.banjo 22nd August 1967 by megbu: 2:03pm On May 30, 2017
Let it also be on record that Victor Banjo approach Ojukwu with this request to liberate the southwest from Hausa Fulani siege because Awolowo sent a distress call to them in Biafra. Before Victor Banjo can get to Ore, the Brits have advised Gowon to offer Awolowo a prominent position in his government. Awo accepted and gave Banjo directive to stop his march in Ore where unsuspecting BRF were surrounded and massacred. Ojukwu never invaded southwest to claim territory, he responded to the distress call of those he thought were brothers and friends. He was instead betrayed. History is indeed sweet.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Letter From Lt.col. Ojukwu To Lt. Col.banjo 22nd August 1967 by megbu: 2:26pm On May 30, 2017
From 'WHY WE STRUCK' the man who initiated the coup a Yoruba man said it all the way it happened. It was not an Igbo coup instead a coup to liberate the southwest from political instability caused by S.L Akintola unpopularity and the sinister plan of Tafawa Belewa to lead a political siege on the Southwest using the military as his tool. To free the ungrateful Awolowo,Enahoro and the rest from prison. The least we expected from Yoruba's during the pogrom was at least to raise a voice in condemnation of the horror unfolding before their very eyes. No! Their obas went round the north on a thank you visit for sparing the lives of innocent Yorubas and shedding the blood of more than 45,000 Igbo's. God bless Prof Wole Soyinka who chided the obas in that open letter. He is the reason I still look at Yoruba tribe as people without dead conscience.

3 Likes

Re: Letter From Lt.col. Ojukwu To Lt. Col.banjo 22nd August 1967 by GoHost: 3:23pm On May 30, 2017
Okay
Re: Letter From Lt.col. Ojukwu To Lt. Col.banjo 22nd August 1967 by LadiIshola(m): 3:34pm On May 30, 2017
inscreAF:
It doesn't feel like, he was actually trying to cunningly capture southwest especially Lagos while making it look like they wanted to help.
1.) he would get our able men enlisted in their army and join the biafran war
2.) if successful after the war, they would have gained upper hand so we will be a their mercy and they dictate the terms to us probably annexing Lagos and Ondo to be part of Biafra along with the entire mid-western Region.
cunning snake

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Letter From Lt.col. Ojukwu To Lt. Col.banjo 22nd August 1967 by hero2000: 3:41pm On May 30, 2017
megbu:
From 'WHY WE STRUCK' the man who initiated the coup a Yoruba man said it all the way it happened. It was not an Igbo coup instead a coup to liberate the southwest from political instability caused by S.L Akintola unpopularity and the sinister plan of Tafawa Belewa to lead a political siege on the Southwest using the military as his tool. To free the ungrateful Awolowo,Enahoro and the rest from prison. The least we expected from Yoruba's during the pogrom was at least to raise a voice in condemnation of the horror unfolding before their very eyes. No! Their obas went round the north on a thank you visit for sparing the lives of innocent Yorubas and shedding the blood of more than 45,000 Igbo's. God bless Prof Wole Soyinka who chided the obas in that open letter. He is the reason I still look at Yoruba tribe as people without dead conscience.

But the younger ones do not know this. They spew all kinds of e-vile on Soyinka for the sole reason that he was against GEJ.
Re: Letter From Lt.col. Ojukwu To Lt. Col.banjo 22nd August 1967 by leofab(f): 4:14pm On May 30, 2017
Jero

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Letter From Lt.col. Ojukwu To Lt. Col.banjo 22nd August 1967 by IamaNigerianGuy(m): 4:23pm On May 30, 2017
inscreAF:

It seems that way to you because you are biased.
Re: Letter From Lt.col. Ojukwu To Lt. Col.banjo 22nd August 1967 by IamaNigerianGuy(m): 4:29pm On May 30, 2017
I am not Ibo but the more I learn about Ojukwu, the more I come to appreciate that he was a towering figure in history and an outstanding personality.

Handsome, eloquent, educated, urbane, charismatic, disciplined, vigorous, energetic, fair ....

He was a rich boy who sided with the masses.
He led the war despite risk to himself and position.
He extended the hand of fellowship to the yorubas and minorities.
He freed Awo from prison
He fought for his people, truth and justice.
He never participated in any coup

He is a man for the ages.

4 Likes

Re: Letter From Lt.col. Ojukwu To Lt. Col.banjo 22nd August 1967 by IamaNigerianGuy(m): 4:36pm On May 30, 2017
megbu:
Let it also be on record that Victor Banjo approach Ojukwu with this request to liberate the southwest from Hausa Fulani siege because Awolowo sent a distress call to them in Biafra. Before Victor Banjo can get to Ore, the Brits have advised Gowon to offer Awolowo a prominent position in his government. Awo accepted and gave Banjo directive to stop his march in Ore where unsuspecting BRF were surrounded and massacred. Ojukwu never invaded southwest to claim territory, he responded to the distress call of those he thought were brothers and friends. He was instead betrayed. History is indeed sweet.

I have not heard the details as you outline them in this post, but I agree with the essence of your story.
I think it is frequently overlooked that Awolowo ( a great man in his own right, no doubt) betrayed Ojukwu and Biafra. This was a man that was released and given unconditional freedom by Ojukwu. What do we make of this ? Many actions and words of Ojukwu point to the fact that he was a very trusting man. I may be wrong. It would be fascinating to get some answers.

1 Like

Re: Letter From Lt.col. Ojukwu To Lt. Col.banjo 22nd August 1967 by megbu: 5:37pm On May 30, 2017
IamaNigerianGuy:
I am not Ibo but the more I learn about Ojukwu, the more I come to appreciate that he was a towering figure in history and an outstanding personality.

Handsome, eloquent, educated, urbane, charismatic, disciplined, vigorous, energetic, fair ....

He was a rich boy who sided with the masses.
He led the war despite risk to himself and position.
He extended the hand of fellowship to the yorubas and minorities.
He freed Awo from prison
He fought for his people, truth and justice.
He never participated in any coup

He is a man for the ages.
You are right. This is why the Igbo's would not listen to anybody trying to label him a coward. We know the man that led our struggle. He had his flaws but he was a just man who got caught up in events that did not have 100% control of. He did his best and history will forever be kind to him.

2 Likes

Re: Letter From Lt.col. Ojukwu To Lt. Col.banjo 22nd August 1967 by megbu: 5:40pm On May 30, 2017
hero2000:

But the younger ones do not know this. They spew all kinds of e-vile on Soyinka for the sole reason that he was against GEJ.
The young ones don't know because the Nigerian state don't want them to. It is not their fault. Wole Soyinka is a walking colossus. He is a thorough bred human. Enough respect to him.

2 Likes

Re: Letter From Lt.col. Ojukwu To Lt. Col.banjo 22nd August 1967 by inscreAF: 5:45pm On May 30, 2017
IamaNigerianGuy:

It seems that way to you because you are biased.
Do you understand the meaning of bias? because i don't understand how being biased correlates with the question i asked.
Re: Letter From Lt.col. Ojukwu To Lt. Col.banjo 22nd August 1967 by IamaNigerianGuy(m): 6:17pm On May 30, 2017
megbu:

What letter ? I don't think I've read it. Do you mind posting a link ?
Re: Letter From Lt.col. Ojukwu To Lt. Col.banjo 22nd August 1967 by megbu: 6:47pm On May 30, 2017
LadiIshola:

It doesn't feel like, he was actually trying to cunningly capture southwest especially Lagos while making it look like they wanted to help.
1.) he would get our able men enlisted in their army and join the biafran war
2.) if successful after the war, they would have gained upper hand so we will be a their mercy and they dictate the terms to us probably annexing Lagos and Ondo to be part of Biafra along with the entire mid-western Region.
cunning snake
Your assumptions are weird. Your brothers needed his help to secede. He obliged and stated clearly that he would leave once the new territory was secured from external aggression. At the same time warning them not to attack his own territory. Pls tell where is the cunningness in this letter. I don't really blame you anyway. Years of malicious propaganda against Ojukwu and Biafra have distorted the truth so much that victims had emerged villians while villains are been celebrated as national heroes. It is the price to pay for losing the war. Every narrative is twisted to favour the victor. But it's 50 years already,can we all look each other in the face a say the damn truth!
Re: Letter From Lt.col. Ojukwu To Lt. Col.banjo 22nd August 1967 by LadiIshola(m): 10:28pm On May 30, 2017
megbu:

Your assumptions are weird. Your brothers needed his help to secede. He obliged and stated clearly that he would leave once the new territory was secured from external aggression. At the same time warning them not to attack his own territory. Pls tell where is the cunningness in this letter. I don't really blame you anyway. Years of malicious propaganda against Ojukwu and Biafra have distorted the truth so much that victims had emerged villians while villains are been celebrated as national heroes. It is the price to pay for losing the war. Every narrative is twisted to favour the victor. But it's 50 years already,can we all look each other in the face a say the damn truth!
And your assertions are weirder.
Who are the brothers? The greediness of a few disgruntled elements within the west doesn't qualify as the standing opinion of the whole region.
Someone clearly stated that the Biafran military will leave Lagos only when "They feel it is safe or right to leave" and not when we westerners say its time. What do you call that?
You all can live in denial all you want, you have always been and will continue to be the villians here not until you lots accept the fact that the west was not, is not and will never be part of your problems cos we never planned to secede together. You wanted to.

2 Likes

Re: Letter From Lt.col. Ojukwu To Lt. Col.banjo 22nd August 1967 by vagabondMynd44: 10:33pm On May 30, 2017
inscreAF:

He wanted to dictate and play god. Those were the things that angered Awo which made the Yorubas join the war

The rest is history
Re: Letter From Lt.col. Ojukwu To Lt. Col.banjo 22nd August 1967 by megbu: 6:33am On May 31, 2017
LadiIshola:

And your assertions are weirder.
Who are the brothers? The greediness of a few disgruntled elements within the west doesn't qualify as the standing opinion of the whole region.
Someone clearly stated that the Biafran military will leave Lagos only when "They feel it is safe or right to leave" and not when we westerners say its time. What do you call that?
You all can live in denial all you want, you have always been and will continue to be the villians here not until you lots accept the fact that the west was not, is not and will never be part of your problems cos we never planned to secede together. You wanted to.
I guessed you also missed the part where he warned Banjo against use of force on any Yoruba man who might resist him. Ojukwu have a lot in his hand to deal with in the East other than taking an opinion poll in the southwest. If Awolowo and Lt.col victor Banjo represented disgruntled elements of the southwest,then I give up. But one thing is very clear he sent troops to liberate southwest on the request of Yoruba people. The fact that Biafran liberation forces accompanied Banjo was a clear indication that he agreed to the terms of the letter. The so called invasion of southwest was initiated and carried out by the Yoruba people, and was sabotaged by them. But guess who takes the blame? Ojukwu and Igbo people.
Re: Letter From Lt.col. Ojukwu To Lt. Col.banjo 22nd August 1967 by LadiIshola(m): 7:44am On May 31, 2017
megbu:

I guessed you also missed the part where he warned Banjo against use of force on any Yoruba man who might resist him. Ojukwu have a lot in his hand to deal with in the East other than taking an opinion poll in the southwest. If Awolowo and Lt.col victor Banjo represented disgruntled elements of the southwest,then I give up. But one thing is very clear he sent troops to liberate southwest on the request of Yoruba people. The fact that Biafran liberation forces accompanied Banjo was a clear indication that he agreed to the terms of the letter. The so called invasion of southwest was initiated and carried out by the Yoruba people, and was sabotaged by them. But guess who takes the blame? Ojukwu and Igbo people.
Lol....its only in the Biafran history book that Awolowo and the entire Yoruba race requested for Biafran help to be liberated from Nigeria.
I give up here bro.
Have a blessed day.

3 Likes

Re: Letter From Lt.col. Ojukwu To Lt. Col.banjo 22nd August 1967 by megbu: 9:47am On May 31, 2017
LadiIshola:

Lol....its only in the Biafran history book that Awolowo and the entire Yoruba race requested for Biafran help to be liberated from Nigeria.
I give up here bro.
Have a blessed day.
A piece of evidence published by one of your own stares you in the face and you're still looking for an escape route. I didn't see it in the Biafra history books. I saw it in the history book published by a Yoruba man. Of course you need to give up because the lies you believed all these years are been busted left,right and centre. PEACE!!
Re: Letter From Lt.col. Ojukwu To Lt. Col.banjo 22nd August 1967 by megbu: 1:07pm On May 31, 2017
Did you read the post at all?

1 Like

Re: Letter From Lt.col. Ojukwu To Lt. Col.banjo 22nd August 1967 by inscreAF: 4:23pm On May 31, 2017
Everyone has his own version of the truth but i remember the youtube video of Ojukwu warning anyone against another Biafra war. if u need the link holla

1 Like

Re: Letter From Lt.col. Ojukwu To Lt. Col.banjo 22nd August 1967 by topisson: 5:51pm On May 31, 2019
inscreAF:
Everyone has his own version of the truth but i remember the youtube video of Ojukwu warning anyone against another Biafra war. if u need the link holla
Tell them
Re: Letter From Lt.col. Ojukwu To Lt. Col.banjo 22nd August 1967 by T9ksy(m): 6:14pm On May 31, 2019
LadiIshola:

I give up here bro.
Have a blessed day.

Abi o jare!!!

Pesin we dey wear rags says hin wan dash another pesin, an expensive garment. Where him wan find am? It's simply logic- you can't give WHAT you don't have.

Has the ibos seceeded from the federal govt before they embarked on "liberating" others who no send them?

I wonder, who sent SOS to ojukwu to invade nay liberate the mid-west region, too

1 Like

Re: Letter From Lt.col. Ojukwu To Lt. Col.banjo 22nd August 1967 by T9ksy(m): 6:33pm On May 31, 2019
megbu:
[s]Let it also be on record that Victor Banjo approach Ojukwu with this request to liberate the southwest from Hausa Fulani siege because Awolowo sent a distress call to them in Biafra. Before Victor Banjo can get to Ore, the Brits have advised Gowon to offer Awolowo a prominent position in his government. Awo accepted and gave Banjo directive to stop his march in Ore where unsuspecting BRF were surrounded and massacred. Ojukwu never invaded southwest to claim territory, he responded to the distress call of those he thought were brothers and friends. He was instead betrayed. History is indeed sweet[/s].

Trash!

Show us the flippin' record where Awolowo implictly solicited for Ojukwu's aid to liberate the western region from northern occupation?

How can Banjo approached Ojukwu when the former was a prisoner in the eastern region at the advent of the war?

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Rivers Guber Watch 2019 - Who Would You Prefer? / Facts Yoruba Has Been Marginalized, Not Igbo / 2019 Presidency: Tinubu Reportedly Gives Buhari Condition

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.