Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,434 members, 7,823,011 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 09:22 PM

Balancing State Creations In Nigeria - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Balancing State Creations In Nigeria (1692 Views)

Truth: Biafra And Kanu Are Creations Of The Apc(part 1) / Balancing The Budget: Kano-State Vs FG / Hausa, Igbo, Yoruba Were British Creations. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Balancing State Creations In Nigeria by AndreUweh(m): 3:50pm On Jan 17, 2010
There is an imbalance of state creations in Nigeria. While the Northwest geopolitical zone has seven states, other zones has six each while the Southeast has only five states. As a consequence, there is the need for equity, fair play and justice in state creation exercise. The solution should be giving all the geopolitical zones an additional state;two states for the Southeast and none to the Northwest as they already have seven states .
From the Southwest=Ibadan state should edge it over Ijebu
Southsouth=Anioma state.
Southeast x2 =Njaba is a priority from Imo state and Ihiala in Anambra state, either Adada state from the present Enugu state or Enyimba state from the present Abia state and parts of Igbo speaking areas of Rivers state e.g Omuma, Obigbo and Etche.
Northcentral=Tiv state for Tivs in Benue and Taraba state.
Northeast=Sarduana from the present Bornu and Taraba states.
I think, this is the perfect balance of states desired in Nigeria. Honest opinions please.
Re: Balancing State Creations In Nigeria by Beaf: 3:58pm On Jan 17, 2010
We need to totally restructure Nigeria before creating more states. Most of the Northern states deserve to be merged.

State creation is really a weapon by the cabals to keep the country down and squabbling for crumbs.
It perpetuates the strong centre concept and the ugly situation in which each governor rushes off to Abuja for monthly stipends.
The state creation thing keeps us all squabbling for crumbs instead of developing.
Re: Balancing State Creations In Nigeria by Katsumoto: 4:21pm On Jan 17, 2010
So you are advocating the creation of more states just to balance the equation? This is the problem with Nigeria, rather than advocate that each state should be more self-sufficient, you are advocating for more states that will produce more political infrastructure that will be used by thieves to steal more money.
Re: Balancing State Creations In Nigeria by flashgeek: 4:36pm On Jan 17, 2010
Nigeria has many retards. GOD save us from these people who think like animals.

We are trying to focus on freeing ourselves from the corrupt politicians, some idiots are here advocating for more states to be created to satisfy their selfish motives.
Re: Balancing State Creations In Nigeria by AndreUweh(m): 4:45pm On Jan 17, 2010
flashgeek:

Nigeria has many retards. GOD save us from these people who think like animals.

We are trying to focus on freeing ourselves from the corrupt politicians, some idiots are here advocating for more states to be created to satisfy their selfish motives.

Humans by nature will call for justice. For example, If you are sentensed for 15 years inprisonment for impersonation and drug related offences in South Africa, and another for the same crime gets 5 years, am sure you will cry for justice. It is so natural.
Re: Balancing State Creations In Nigeria by Katsumoto: 4:56pm On Jan 17, 2010
Andre Uweh:

Humans by nature will call for justice. For example, If you are sentensed for 15 years inprisonment for impersonation and drug related offences in South Africa, and another for the same crime gets 5 years, an sure you will cry for justice. It is so natural.

Shouldn't we be seeking ideas and solutions that will improve the lives of Nigerians in general rather than seeking solutions that just assuage the egos of certain individuals? Your idea is cosmetic. Like Beaf suggested, parasitic states that do not generate any revenue should be merged with other states.
Re: Balancing State Creations In Nigeria by AndreUweh(m): 5:06pm On Jan 17, 2010
If state merger is the answer, that will be fine by me. Ondo and Ekiti should be merged so as to have 5 states in the south west. Bayelsa and Rivers so that South south should have 5 states. Plateau and Nasarawa in the north central, Gombe and Bauchi should be merged in the north east. Finally, in the northwest, Sokoto, Zamfara and Kebbi should all be merged so as to have 5 states in the zone.
Re: Balancing State Creations In Nigeria by flashgeek: 5:18pm On Jan 17, 2010
Andre Uweh:

If state merger is the answer, that will be fine by me. Ondo and Ekiti should be merged so as to have 5 states in the south west. Bayelsa and Rivers so that South south should have 5 states. Plateau and Nasarawa in the north central, Gombe and Bauchi should be merged in the north east. Finally, in the northwest, Sokoto, Zamfara and Kebbi should all be merged so as to have 5 states in the zone.

Now you are making sense. grin
Re: Balancing State Creations In Nigeria by Katsumoto: 5:19pm On Jan 17, 2010
Andre Uweh:

Your suggestions are geared towards assuaging your ego. Should each zone have the same number of states? State numbers and state creation should not be based on an ethnic balancing act; it should be based on sustainable development. I couldn't care of less if there was just one state in the west as long as there was proper infrastructure and development.
Re: Balancing State Creations In Nigeria by Katsumoto: 5:20pm On Jan 17, 2010
flashgeek:

Now you are making sense. grin

He isn't; he is still trying to achieve a balancing act.
Re: Balancing State Creations In Nigeria by AndreUweh(m): 5:31pm On Jan 17, 2010
Mr Katsumoto, thou shall not pretend. You mean that it will give you happiness if the Southwest is only one state and other zones are five states. The south west sends 3 senators to Abuja and the other zones sends 15.
Your zone gets N1billion allocation from FG while others are handed N5billion each.
Would you accept that?.
Re: Balancing State Creations In Nigeria by Beaf: 5:37pm On Jan 17, 2010
Katsumoto:

Your suggestions are geared towards assuaging your ego. Should each zone have the same number of states? State numbers and state creation should not be based on an ethnic balancing act; it should be based on sustainable development. I couldn't care of less if there was just one state in the west as long as there was proper infrastructure and development.

It should be. There should be a reasonable balance between ethnicity and viability. It is wrong for Anioma people to be in Delta state rather than Anambra as an example (the same goes for Kwara amongst others); we should have agglomerations of smaller ethnic groups into single states and major ethnic groups should each have a single state.
Re: Balancing State Creations In Nigeria by Katsumoto: 5:38pm On Jan 17, 2010
Andre Uweh:

Mr Katsumoto, thou shall not pretend. You mean that it will give you happiness if the Southwest is only one state and other zones are five states. The south west sends 3 senators to Abuja and the other zones sends 15.
Your zone gets N1billion allocation from FG while others are handed N5billion each.
Would you accept that?.

Like I said, your solution is based on addressing short-comings in an already flawed system. Why are you not seeking better solutions. You are just bent on achieving equality within a system that offers no benefit to the general populace. Can you tell me what the Nigerian senate has achieved since the 4th republic started in 1999? Are those jokers not just getting richer while the common man continues to suffer? This is why there is no progress in Nigeria; you are more concerned about having an equal number of thieves in Abuja. It doesn't matter whether the senators that currently represent you, have achieved anything for your state or region.
Re: Balancing State Creations In Nigeria by Katsumoto: 5:50pm On Jan 17, 2010
Beaf:

It should be. There should be a reasonable balance between ethnicity and viability. It is wrong for Anioma people to be in Delta state rather than Anambra as an example (the same goes for Kwara amongst others); we should have agglomerations of smaller ethnic groups into single states and major ethnic groups should each have a single state.

If you are advocating a system based on confederation (I assume that is what you are alluding to) then that is fine. What I am against is the creation of parasitic states that would not be able to generate revenue but are instead dependent on the centre for handouts. That is the system that we currently have and it does not work. The governors, senators, etc just steal the funds sent to those states. The people in Yobe (as an example) can not complain about a lack of infrastructure because they have not contributed to the development of their state. Contrast that with California or New York where people pay taxes; they expect and demand services because they pay for it through heavy taxes.
Re: Balancing State Creations In Nigeria by Beaf: 6:12pm On Jan 17, 2010
Katsumoto:

If you are advocating a system based on confederation (I assume that is what you are alluding to) then that is fine. What I am against is the creation of parasitic states that would not be able to generate revenue but are instead dependent on the centre for handouts. That is the system that we currently have and it does not work. The governors, senators, etc just steal the funds sent to those states. The people in Yobe (as an example) can not complain about a lack of infrastructure because they have not contributed to the development of their state. Contrast that with California or New York where people pay taxes; they expect and demand services because they pay for it through heavy taxes.

I'm thinking more in terms of true federalism. If a confederacy can work, it would be acceptable also, it depends on how weak we can agree for the centre to be.
As you have pointed out, in such a system there would be properly defined citizen contracts with the state (degree of expectation against taxation being one facet).
Re: Balancing State Creations In Nigeria by Katsumoto: 6:23pm On Jan 17, 2010
Beaf:

I'm thinking more in terms of true federalism. If a confederacy can work, it would be acceptable also, it depends on how weak we can agree for the centre to be.
As you have pointed out, in such a system there would be properly defined citizen contracts with the state (degree of expectation against taxation being one facet).

I often hear the phrase 'true federalism' being mentioned; I think everyone has a different view of true federalism. What is your definition of true federalim; if you don't mind me asking?
Re: Balancing State Creations In Nigeria by Beaf: 6:36pm On Jan 17, 2010
^
I'm simply referring to the dictionary meaning of the word.
The Nigerian way of terming our unitary system "federalism" is quite dishonest. It is "false federalism".
Re: Balancing State Creations In Nigeria by Katsumoto: 6:47pm On Jan 17, 2010
Beaf:

^
I'm simply referring to the dictionary meaning of the word.
The Nigerian way of terming our unitary system "federalism" is quite dishonest. It is "false federalism".

OK, similar to the American system. That could work. Regardless of how states are created, a proper census should be carried out to ensure proportionate representation at the centre.
Re: Balancing State Creations In Nigeria by AndreUweh(m): 6:55pm On Jan 17, 2010
A true federalism exist where there is parity in the constituent political units of a government. As a result, there should be parity in the geopolitical zones of Nigeria. It is unacceptable that in a federal state, one zone has 7 states while another has only 5. To obtain a true federalism, the zone with 5 states should be giving two additional states. Also, the zones with 6 states each should be giving an additional one state.
Re: Balancing State Creations In Nigeria by tamme: 6:59pm On Jan 17, 2010
Why are igbo people so interested in this anioma state?
Re: Balancing State Creations In Nigeria by AndreUweh(m): 7:07pm On Jan 17, 2010
tamme:

Why are igbo people so interested in this anioma state?
This thread is not about ethnicity, it is about equity, fairness and justice. Do not derail please.
Re: Balancing State Creations In Nigeria by bobokelly(m): 8:04pm On Jan 18, 2010
how do mean? undecided

(1) (Reply)

Fashola Commissions 16 Fire Fighting Equipment / GCON-Grand Crook Of The Order Of Niger, Nigeria National Dishonour Awards / Do You Want To Denounce Your Nigerian Citizenship? There Is Opportunity.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.