Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,038 members, 7,821,576 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 03:15 PM

We Are Teaching Chibok Girls To Speak Good English – Aisha Alhassan - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / We Are Teaching Chibok Girls To Speak Good English – Aisha Alhassan (16232 Views)

Aisha Alhassan's Convoy Ferried On A Wooden Boat Across A River. Photos / Aisha Alhassan 'Mama Taraba' Resigns As Minister (Resignation Letter) / Aisha Alhassan: If Buhari Sacks Me For Supporting Atiku, I Will Not Be Bothered (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

We Are Teaching Chibok Girls To Speak Good English – Aisha Alhassan by engineerboat(m): 8:28am On May 31, 2017
The Federal Government says it has begun teaching the rescued Chibok schoolgirls how to speak proper English.

The government has also employed 20 teachers to help the girls with remedial classes.

The Minister of Women Affairs and Social Development, Aisha Alhassan, said this in Abuja on Tuesday while receiving the recently rescued 82 Chibok schoolgirls.

At least 219 girls were kidnapped in April 2014 from Government Secondary School, Chibok, Borno State, where most of them were preparing to sit for the West African Senior School Certificate Examination.

About 24 were released in 2016 while another 82 were released by the Boko Haram terrorists, who abducted them over three years ago, on May 6, 2017.

After their rescue on May 6, 2017, the 82 girls were kept in a health facility under the supervision of the Department of State Services, where they underwent medical tests and treatment.

While receiving the 82 girls at the National Centre for Women Development, the minister said the 82 girls would be taught English.

Alhassan said the 24 girls, who were released last year, had improved on their spoken English.

The minister stated, “I thank the teachers and vocational trainers for training them. The 24 girls who could not speak good English, can now speak good English and I am sure by the time they handle the new ones (82), they will also speak good English and will be able to pass JAMB, WASSCE and NECO when they go back to school.”

The minister said by September, the rehabilitation of all the girls would have been completed and they would be enrolled in school.

She said since the girls had missed three years of school, they would need to take remedial classes.

Alhassan added, “We are going to keep them till the school year starts in September. Dr. Anne (Okoroafor) said they are both medically and psychologically stable. The therapy will go on for four months till September when they will be enrolled in school. “Therefore, the programme will last from now till September when they would be in school. By then, they would have overcome the trauma.”

A reliable government source told our correspondent that due to the poor academic foundation of the girls, some of them might have to return to junior secondary school.

The minister, who conducted journalists on a tour of the hostel where the girls will reside, said the girls would be taught handcrafts, including sewing and baking.

Alhassan stated that some of the girls had learnt how to bake cakes and some of their products had been sold.

She said the girls would be taught skilled and semi-skilled labour so that they would be able to compete with their peers in the outside world.

The minister denied allegations that the girls were being held against their will, adding that the girls and their parents consented to the arrangements.

The UNFPA’s Deputy Representative in Nigeria, Mr. Eugene Kongnyuy, commended the Federal Government for the rescue of the girls, saying the agency would continue to support the Federal Government.

Speaking with our correspondent on the sidelines of the event, Kongnyuy said the United States President, Donald Trump, had cut funding to the agency which had already hurt their ability to help kidnapped women and girls recover after being freed from Boko Haram.

He, however, said some other countries like Canada had increased donations which would help reduce the effect.

http://punchng.com/were-teaching-chibok-girls-to-speak-good-english-fg/

Re: We Are Teaching Chibok Girls To Speak Good English – Aisha Alhassan by alizma: 8:30am On May 31, 2017
better
Re: We Are Teaching Chibok Girls To Speak Good English – Aisha Alhassan by Houseofglam7(f): 8:31am On May 31, 2017
This season film don dey too long.

We don dey tire to watch.
undecided

61 Likes 3 Shares

Re: We Are Teaching Chibok Girls To Speak Good English – Aisha Alhassan by jieta: 8:32am On May 31, 2017
b
Re: We Are Teaching Chibok Girls To Speak Good English – Aisha Alhassan by luvinhubby(m): 8:32am On May 31, 2017
shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked

And they were sitting for Physics exams in their WAEC when they were kidnapped?

These lies are becoming nauseating daily. angry

186 Likes 15 Shares

Re: We Are Teaching Chibok Girls To Speak Good English – Aisha Alhassan by Evablizin(f): 8:36am On May 31, 2017
Good english Jesu,omoh this one weak me ooh,why is it that APC government too like medicine after death,so this so called chibok girls were planning to right WAEC in konfu language,chai una yeye the smell the odour no bi here with patience voice ~ chai there is God oo kwatinue~

93 Likes 5 Shares

Re: We Are Teaching Chibok Girls To Speak Good English – Aisha Alhassan by rheether(f): 8:36am On May 31, 2017
No be only good English..

2 Likes

Re: We Are Teaching Chibok Girls To Speak Good English – Aisha Alhassan by engineerboat(m): 8:38am On May 31, 2017
Please Lalasticlala, Myd44 is Wayec written in another language ni

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: We Are Teaching Chibok Girls To Speak Good English – Aisha Alhassan by SalamRushdie: 8:38am On May 31, 2017
Hahahahahahaha

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: We Are Teaching Chibok Girls To Speak Good English – Aisha Alhassan by obonujoker(m): 8:41am On May 31, 2017
So what language was their WAEC exam.... Benue language??

97 Likes 2 Shares

Re: We Are Teaching Chibok Girls To Speak Good English – Aisha Alhassan by TonyeBarcanista(m): 8:41am On May 31, 2017
This is funny... Teaching SS3 girls kwa?

21 Likes 1 Share

Re: We Are Teaching Chibok Girls To Speak Good English – Aisha Alhassan by angeltolly(f): 8:41am On May 31, 2017
cheesy cheesy Wonderful shocked" Good English" they couldn't learn from their primary school to when they were writing WAEC

Well, I believe that with God all things are possible

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: We Are Teaching Chibok Girls To Speak Good English – Aisha Alhassan by Evablizin(f): 8:50am On May 31, 2017
luvinhubby:

so you now believe that chibok girls is a scam,APC government and their stupidity

29 Likes 1 Share

Re: We Are Teaching Chibok Girls To Speak Good English – Aisha Alhassan by mazimee(m): 8:54am On May 31, 2017
And they were Ss3 students angryangryangry

This is too much for a sane mind.

Tufiakwa Nigeria

39 Likes 1 Share

Re: We Are Teaching Chibok Girls To Speak Good English – Aisha Alhassan by swagagolic01(m): 8:55am On May 31, 2017
Smh, shame una no get

2 Likes

Re: We Are Teaching Chibok Girls To Speak Good English – Aisha Alhassan by Nenejeje(f): 8:59am On May 31, 2017
eskeews me plissss,

I thought those girls were writing wassce exams when they were kidnapped? were they writing the exams in hausa or kanuri languages?

I don't want to believe this thing was staged as some people said but it's kinda looking more suspicious everyday

Nigeria which way!!!

27 Likes 1 Share

Re: We Are Teaching Chibok Girls To Speak Good English – Aisha Alhassan by Nobody: 9:02am On May 31, 2017
These are what makes People to doubt the veracity of this Chibok kidnap.

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: We Are Teaching Chibok Girls To Speak Good English – Aisha Alhassan by anibi9674: 9:05am On May 31, 2017
don't be surprised that these girls can't speak decent english.

2 Likes

Re: We Are Teaching Chibok Girls To Speak Good English – Aisha Alhassan by IhatesIGBOS: 9:09am On May 31, 2017
A

Re: We Are Teaching Chibok Girls To Speak Good English – Aisha Alhassan by Nobody: 9:10am On May 31, 2017
This government is just reaping the fruits of their scam

23 Likes 1 Share

Re: We Are Teaching Chibok Girls To Speak Good English – Aisha Alhassan by aolawale025: 9:13am On May 31, 2017
Coming with different reasons to warehouse the girls for long periods. Why can't they just give it up? The truth is already obvious to any reasonable person

30 Likes 1 Share

Re: We Are Teaching Chibok Girls To Speak Good English – Aisha Alhassan by dessz(m): 9:13am On May 31, 2017
Houseofglam7:
This season film don dey too long.

We don dey tire to watch.
undecided

Re: We Are Teaching Chibok Girls To Speak Good English – Aisha Alhassan by dessz(m): 9:15am On May 31, 2017
luvinhubby:

5 Likes

Re: We Are Teaching Chibok Girls To Speak Good English – Aisha Alhassan by gurunlocker: 9:28am On May 31, 2017
Trust me, they will surely know how to speak good English within 3 months. That's how the scam was programmed.

11 Likes

Re: We Are Teaching Chibok Girls To Speak Good English – Aisha Alhassan by obailala(m): 9:53am On May 31, 2017
I laugh at the ignorance of people who keep wondering why waec candidates from a village in Borno cant speak good english.

Obviously you are oblivious of the kind of country you live in. Even in the more educated and enlightened south, we still get cases of even university graduates who can't speak English. But here we are, talking of secondary school teenagers from a deep village in Borno, but some enlightened Nigerians still wonder why English is a luxury for these kids.

People seem to be ignorant of the existence of that thing called federal character which places unity school cut-off points of 2/200 for students in places like Borno and Yobe. They obviously do not think such a policy can affect the abilities of the students. Meanwhile the teens have been locked up in captivity and away from English language for 3 years, and we still wonder why a drop of English language shouldnt be in them.

3 Likes

Re: We Are Teaching Chibok Girls To Speak Good English – Aisha Alhassan by iluvdonjazzy: 9:56am On May 31, 2017
good english or teaching them the lies to tell their parents, pressmen and the people that they were actually kidnap wereas they were enjoying themselves somewhere, in beautiful and comfortable hotel. APC i hail una LIES. wetin even concern me sef, make i continue my food jor.

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: We Are Teaching Chibok Girls To Speak Good English – Aisha Alhassan by GuntersChain(m): 10:04am On May 31, 2017
Teaching them how to speak English and these are the same girls about to write waec before been kidnapped, also in the compulsory five credits to gain admission into higher institution is English exempted. So there question paper from waec are printed in another language, APC and propaganda are like this.

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: We Are Teaching Chibok Girls To Speak Good English – Aisha Alhassan by BERNIMOORE: 10:16am On May 31, 2017
GuntersChain:
Teaching them how to speak English and these are the same girls about to write waec before been kidnapped, also in the compulsory five credits to gain admission into higher institution is English exempted. So there question paper from waec are printed in another language, APC and propaganda are like this.
see how fat they are even better than the president grin I smell conspiracy here ejoo

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: We Are Teaching Chibok Girls To Speak Good English – Aisha Alhassan by luvinhubby(m): 10:37am On May 31, 2017
obailala:
I laugh at the ignorance of people who keep wondering why waec candidates from a village in Borno cant speak good english.

Obviously you are oblivious of the kind of country you live in. Even in the more educated and enlightened south, we still get cases of even university graduates who can't speak English. But here we are, talking of secondary school teenagers from a deep village in Borno, but some enlightened Nigerians still wonder why English is a luxury for these kids.

People seem to be ignorant of the existence of that thing called federal character which places unity school cut-off points of 2/200 for students in places like Borno and Yobe. They obviously do not think such a policy can affect the abilities of the students. Meanwhile the teens have been locked up in captivity and away from English language for 3 years, and we still wonder why a drop of English language shouldnt be in them.

You have migrated this your zombieism to a higher pedestal.

Chibok is a semi urban community and not a rural village. Even a higher primary school pupil from schools in those areas communicate in basic English language, talk less of an SS3 student writing WAEC, which is a regional exams set in English language only. Were they supposed to write or have written the ones they wrote in Hausa or Fulfude language? Were they taught Newton's law of gravity and other Physics theories in Hausa also, if so, show me one Physics textbook written in Hausa language.
I believe they wrote junior WAEC before they were promoted to SS classes, was that written in Hausa also?

So they forgot how to speak all the English they learnt in school during their 3yrs of 'captivity'? Even a baby will laugh at you ridiculously, do those girls look like people kept in isolation and are looking so healthy and well kept, do they not converse among themselves?

Guy I dey shame for you oo!!

56 Likes 6 Shares

Re: We Are Teaching Chibok Girls To Speak Good English – Aisha Alhassan by Dandsome: 10:47am On May 31, 2017
Okay. So the girls that were supposed to write physics exam never knew how to speak English. How were they supposed to understand the physics question? Abi waec been plan to set the physics exam in their own native dialect?

5 Likes

Re: We Are Teaching Chibok Girls To Speak Good English – Aisha Alhassan by NwaAmaikpe: 10:48am On May 31, 2017
grin

I see

So they were writing WAEC in Hausa?

10 Likes 3 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Reps Bill To Prohibit Unsolicited Text & Calls Passes 2nd Reading / Agbaje Alleges Manipulation Of Lagos Result, Demands Prosecution Of Thugs / Osinbajo In 51 Days

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.