Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,074 members, 7,818,214 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 10:28 AM

What Has Happened To The Traditional 4-4-2 Soccer Formation? - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / What Has Happened To The Traditional 4-4-2 Soccer Formation? (583 Views)

Fans Mock Kepa For Blunder In 4-4 Ajax Draw (Photos / Nigeria Vs Argentina: The Formation Iheanacho Wants Rohr To Employ / World Cup: Rohr Reacts As Okocha Criticizes 4-2-3-1 Formation (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Has Happened To The Traditional 4-4-2 Soccer Formation? by viewingcentres: 8:47pm On May 31, 2017
The most fundamental root to success in any team sport especially involving an opponent is the tactical organisation of the team. This is also true in football, as this tactical organisation is famously referred to as formation. There exist so many types of formation in the soccer world, and there had been transition from one formation to another over the years.

For example, football according to wikipedia was believed to have started with a formation that involved majority of the players playing forward i.e always attacking, this was depicted in the first international game between Scotland and England on 30 November 1872 when England played with 8 forwards in a 1-1-8 formation, while Scotland played six forwards in a 2-2-6 formation. As funny as it sounds, it was believed that the one defender will always get loose balls while the one or two midfielders will kick the ball up-field for other players to chase. Decades after that saw different types of formation in football, but one that seems very successful and stood the test of time was the traditional 4-4-2 formation. This formation was so popular that a notable magazine was named after it. But recently, it seems the formation is getting outdated as we have very few teams imbibing this formation. As beautiful as it is, what has happened to it?... get more on http://viewingcentres..com.ng/2016/12/what-has-happened-to-traditional-4-4-2.html
Re: What Has Happened To The Traditional 4-4-2 Soccer Formation? by Basildvalour(m): 8:50pm On May 31, 2017
Everything has its time just as every manager has his tactics.
Re: What Has Happened To The Traditional 4-4-2 Soccer Formation? by DeRay98(m): 8:58pm On May 31, 2017
viewingcentres:
The most fundamental root to success in any team sport especially involving an opponent is the tactical organisation of the team. This is also true in football, as this tactical organisation is famously referred to as formation. There exist so many types of formation in the soccer world, and there had been transition from one formation to another over the years.

For example, football according to wikipedia was believed to have started with a formation that involved majority of the players playing forward i.e always attacking, this was depicted in the first international game between Scotland and England on 30 November 1872 when England played with 8 forwards in a 1-1-8 formation, while Scotland played six forwards in a 2-2-6 formation. As funny as it sounds, it was believed that the one defender will always get loose balls while the one or two midfielders will kick the ball up-field for other players to chase. Decades after that saw different types of formation in football, but one that seems very successful and stood the test of time was the traditional 4-4-2 formation. This formation was so popular that a notable magazine was named after it. But recently, it seems the formation is getting outdated as we have very few teams imbibing this formation. As beautiful as it is, what has happened to it?... get more on http://viewingcentres..com.ng/2016/12/what-has-happened-to-traditional-4-4-2.html

That was the formation that Bendel Insurance of Benin adopted to upset the then Almighty Enugu Rangers in the 1978 Challenge Cup final in Lagos. It was the effective and its was new to the Nigerian football scene of the 70s.
Re: What Has Happened To The Traditional 4-4-2 Soccer Formation? by TANKDESTROYER(m): 9:24pm On May 31, 2017
Some teams still use it though
but 4-2-3-1 is the widely used formation
Re: What Has Happened To The Traditional 4-4-2 Soccer Formation? by Nobody: 9:36pm On May 31, 2017
Some coaches play 8-1-1,packing the bus.

Other notable formation are these;
4-2-4
3-4-3
4-1-4-1
4-3-3
4-2-3-1

If i become a coach someday,i will use the 6-2-2 formation.
Re: What Has Happened To The Traditional 4-4-2 Soccer Formation? by viewingcentres: 11:37pm On May 31, 2017
Daninya11:
Some coaches play 8-1-1,packing the bus.

Other notable formation are these;
4-2-4
3-4-3
4-1-4-1
4-3-3
4-2-3-1

If i become a coach someday,i will use the 6-2-2 formation.
[quote author=Daninya11 post=57069924]Some coaches play 8-1-1,packing the bus.

lol. 6-2-2 you are so defensively oriented that's a sweeper, i should strike dat formation out with 3-4-3... lolssss

(1) (Reply)

Super Eagels Initiation - Victor Oshimen Sings Teckno Song / Happy Birthday Messi, His Carea In 30facts!!! / .

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.