Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,182 members, 7,822,000 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 12:31 AM

13 Evils Of Boarding School, Why You Must Raise Your Children From Home - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / 13 Evils Of Boarding School, Why You Must Raise Your Children From Home (49383 Views)

The Menace Of Boarding Houses For Secondary School Education. / When You Are Asked To Explain Your Experience In A Nigerian Boarding School / 10 Pictures You Will Relate To If You Ever Schooled In A Boarding School. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 13 Evils Of Boarding School, Why You Must Raise Your Children From Home by Elle277(f): 3:30pm On Jun 01, 2017
One Man's meat is another man's poison...
Re: 13 Evils Of Boarding School, Why You Must Raise Your Children From Home by prinzeepule(m): 3:36pm On Jun 01, 2017
OP's opinion shouldn't be taken to be correct for all boarding schools. Low self esteem? how? Did the OP ever attended boarding school? Been a boarder was one of the best thing that happened to me. Under the leadership of S.S Bolarin n Oloyede who are you to misbehave. #GreatOBHS Ijagbo-Offa.

But it's good to be a Senior sha grin

1 Like

Re: 13 Evils Of Boarding School, Why You Must Raise Your Children From Home by Nobody: 3:37pm On Jun 01, 2017
op if some headmistress hold u dem go covfefe dat ya hand
Re: 13 Evils Of Boarding School, Why You Must Raise Your Children From Home by hirety(f): 3:38pm On Jun 01, 2017
I enjoyed boarding school so much maybe because its a private missionary school. It made me know how to be time conscious. I learnt how to read and study in the boarding house. abeg I'll chose my secondary school over n over again if I have d opportunity.
Re: 13 Evils Of Boarding School, Why You Must Raise Your Children From Home by chukzyfcbb: 3:40pm On Jun 01, 2017
I attended a day school in my junior secondary year and switched to a boarding school in my senior secondary (ss1-ss3), so I have a taste of both worlds.

Bullying happened in both schools regardless, My education improved in a boarding school. As I read more i understood better. I got better at sports, basket ball mostly because I played almost every evening(sports period). I learnt to care of my stuffs and become alert at every time.
However, that is not to say I didn't suffer some demerits of going to a boarding school.
- Relationships with those in my home reduced greatly
- I learnt so many nutty things eg I could jailbreak any sort of padlock with exception to the TOZOK
brand
- I was less informed with news(Sports, entertainment mainly). Outside the boarding premises, I sounded outdated amongst my friends who are day students.
- In boarding school, there was nothing like forgiveness.
You remember all the bullying u received in your early years and look forward to a Payback time in your final year (ss3)

In the end it was a fun time. The university is Boarding school 2.0, so regardless of where one finished his secondary school from, The uni is a v2.0 boarding school

NB: I will forever be thankful To Boarding schools all over Nigeria that introduced us to BISCUIT FLAKES aka SOAKS.

10years since I finished sec school, I just can't stop soaking biscuits and milk,loool

2 Likes

Re: 13 Evils Of Boarding School, Why You Must Raise Your Children From Home by moorevic(m): 3:48pm On Jun 01, 2017
Dormitory is good for kids.
I stayed in the hostel through out my 6 years in school with excess adventures and challenges which has shaped me into a better man.
It teaches you
* Independence
* Self discipline
* Being studious
Re: 13 Evils Of Boarding School, Why You Must Raise Your Children From Home by Candybob(m): 3:59pm On Jun 01, 2017
Ramanto:
some boarding schools are hygienic. And you forgot to state that students in boarding schools are way more intelligent than their day student counterparts

where did you see this your statistical postulation?

All this point noted by the OP are on point.
The worst are government schools, they turn the students to gardeners, toilet washers, cleaners, grass cutters and menial laborers.
Re: 13 Evils Of Boarding School, Why You Must Raise Your Children From Home by Neozy(m): 4:02pm On Jun 01, 2017
uruego:
My daughter is in boarding school, and I am happy she is there. The difference is clear. Intelligence, focused, not materialistic, read ofteN. Those traits u listed, I have not observed. So do your research well before spuring out trash, right!
May you not regret it.
Re: 13 Evils Of Boarding School, Why You Must Raise Your Children From Home by Apina(m): 4:12pm On Jun 01, 2017
Sensual:
I would never send my kids to boarding school.
Especially at tender age. Even Campus scares me.

Let them be going to school from house where I can monitor them and train them the way I want.

Seriously, how can parents be sending their kids, especially girl child to boarding schools
I have, and will never be a fan of that.
U are just deceiving Urself, see! who want spoil go spoil. In fact, that would be an excuse for them to get spoilt. I hope u would also be with them in their day schools to monitor them? Like most persons against boarding school education, you would be making a very grave mistake thinking that having your child majorly at home is the basis for good upbringing. The decision to go rogue or not all boils down to good character instilled in a child not by being monitored.

1 Like

Re: 13 Evils Of Boarding School, Why You Must Raise Your Children From Home by Jfrankination(m): 4:13pm On Jun 01, 2017
[quote author=valgbo post=57084445]I agree with most of the points..... boarding school changed me a lot......... jfrankination[/quote lol..amumgbo
Re: 13 Evils Of Boarding School, Why You Must Raise Your Children From Home by Heineken(m): 4:28pm On Jun 01, 2017
chykes5000:

FGC ilorin. Danger vs Monite
bro you Sabi the parol.. Na fgci ilorin. Me na 2006 set. Boarding school no good to me. E fit make person wan retaliate and bad/mad forever.
Re: 13 Evils Of Boarding School, Why You Must Raise Your Children From Home by Heineken(m): 4:32pm On Jun 01, 2017
Neozy:

May you not regret it.
amen o bro.. Please pray for her. Boarding school no good. Omo we suffered. Imagine since 2006 I no fit forget the pains. Boarding school fit make person worst.
Re: 13 Evils Of Boarding School, Why You Must Raise Your Children From Home by robminds: 4:33pm On Jun 01, 2017
Sound article. Thumbs up dear
Re: 13 Evils Of Boarding School, Why You Must Raise Your Children From Home by Afritop(m): 4:39pm On Jun 01, 2017
KIDNAPPERS ARE NOW SOLVING THE PROBLEM.
Re: 13 Evils Of Boarding School, Why You Must Raise Your Children From Home by Nobody: 4:43pm On Jun 01, 2017
Chiefly:
True...

All this "all boys" and "all Gurls" boarding schools. Na were homo dey set.
True...
Re: 13 Evils Of Boarding School, Why You Must Raise Your Children From Home by Acidosis(m): 4:44pm On Jun 01, 2017
Unadulterated trash
Re: 13 Evils Of Boarding School, Why You Must Raise Your Children From Home by Pamelayoung: 4:49pm On Jun 01, 2017
DayDreamPictures:
who boarding school help

talking from experience.
I did my junior secondary Education at command boarding school, ipaja. Lagos

waste of precious years undecided

anyways, all mallam with him own kettle.
everyone with their individual opinions

Command na school?

1 Like

Re: 13 Evils Of Boarding School, Why You Must Raise Your Children From Home by bigblackbeautif: 4:55pm On Jun 01, 2017
All opinions are on point. I went to a boarding school but my kids go to day. I enjoyed boarding but who I am today is a function of my upbringing at home and a bit of the school. The break in family closeness, too early independence and in same sex schools, homosexuality is a real threat to the children but low self esteem,. threat to sound health, rape and early sexual activity can happen to any child whether boarding or day. For me.its all about the type of children, the type of home and whether or not parents have the time to monitor the kids at home. If u can't , pls try a good boarding. I love the closeness I share with my children because they are in a day school and I'm their first confidant with all their news , gist and info. In this era of social media and insane technology, its really important that im in the know of these details so my advice is the first they hear before their friends cash in. I can try to control for now what they can or can't do and most importantly guide and shape them into responsible kids in this formative age when they will still listen to me. When its time for tertiary, I'll gladly let them go having given them the tools they need.
Re: 13 Evils Of Boarding School, Why You Must Raise Your Children From Home by mylifeisagift(m): 4:58pm On Jun 01, 2017
And pls pls pls...This madness and misinformation in this country have got to stop..Tests(Investigations) aren't a must in patient consultation and care..They are done when Doctors deem it necessary..Majority of outpatient cases don't necessarily need investigations..Nigerians
pls I beg una.
Re: 13 Evils Of Boarding School, Why You Must Raise Your Children From Home by oluwatymylehyn(m): 4:59pm On Jun 01, 2017
Boarding school is very good idea. I went to boarding school through out my primary school and ditto my secondary school. My primary school days were fun because my guidance is one of the top guns in the school. However, my secondary school days in boarding school was bittersweet. I was bullied, caned, subjected to all manner of punishments by seniors. When I got to senior class, I couldn't revenge. I would probably have killed if I had tried to revenge. I just let go of my past experiences. By and large, boarding school has its merits and demerits. The OP made some very good points though.

1 Like

Re: 13 Evils Of Boarding School, Why You Must Raise Your Children From Home by kingd91: 5:10pm On Jun 01, 2017
They can keep secrets a lot, often quiet but very dangerous when you mess with them(which is the point u made "heartless"). usually live a recluse life and this makes them miss a lot from niggas who know what is happening in the streets.
Re: 13 Evils Of Boarding School, Why You Must Raise Your Children From Home by armadeo(m): 5:11pm On Jun 01, 2017
I went to boarding school.

My kids would never go to one.

Finito
Re: 13 Evils Of Boarding School, Why You Must Raise Your Children From Home by chykes5000(m): 5:23pm On Jun 01, 2017
[quote author=Heineken post=57093884] bro you Sabi the parol.. Na fgci ilorin. Me na 2006 set. Wow, same set with me, I was in progress house. But I didn't come back after Alh Monite left. I'm very sure I'll know you
Re: 13 Evils Of Boarding School, Why You Must Raise Your Children From Home by trumpclinton247: 5:26pm On Jun 01, 2017
We must learn to teach morals to our children and them face the world while continue to guide and counsel them...like wise sex education ..what you fail to teach on time at home they learn it in negative way outside the home....is only in Africa that i saw high level of dependency even by the youths on their parents because over protection makes them loose that ablility to struggle for survival.....i went to mission boarding school ...whether day or boarding students...who want tospoil go spoil so lets not over generalize pls

1 Like

Re: 13 Evils Of Boarding School, Why You Must Raise Your Children From Home by Zedoo(m): 5:28pm On Jun 01, 2017
Dear parent follow your kids to university too...

B.s

2 Likes

Re: 13 Evils Of Boarding School, Why You Must Raise Your Children From Home by Coldfeets: 5:38pm On Jun 01, 2017
Lesbianism is the worst evil learnt from boarding school
Re: 13 Evils Of Boarding School, Why You Must Raise Your Children From Home by ayorhmeeday(m): 6:13pm On Jun 01, 2017
DayDreamPictures:
who boarding school help

talking from experience.
I did my junior secondary Education at command boarding school, ipaja. Lagos

waste of precious years undecided

anyways, all mallam with him own kettle.
everyone with their individual opinions

lols!!! u also schooled there!!!
eeyah.

1 Like

Re: 13 Evils Of Boarding School, Why You Must Raise Your Children From Home by Nobody: 6:37pm On Jun 01, 2017
ayorhmeeday:

lols!!! u also schooled there!!! eeyah.
how was the experience for you?
Re: 13 Evils Of Boarding School, Why You Must Raise Your Children From Home by hermosa7: 6:47pm On Jun 01, 2017
LifeIsGuhd:
I agree with some points...
Single gender boarding school especially is a NO NO

Single gender or not, none of my children are going to boarding school.
Re: 13 Evils Of Boarding School, Why You Must Raise Your Children From Home by LifeIsGuhd(f): 6:53pm On Jun 01, 2017
hermosa7:

Single gender or not, none of my children are going to boarding school.

Nice...
I didn't say you should take them to one tho!
Re: 13 Evils Of Boarding School, Why You Must Raise Your Children From Home by LeanonGOD(m): 6:56pm On Jun 01, 2017
Coldfeets:
Lesbianism is the worst evil learnt from boarding school
A pastor advised his friend(also a pastor) not to send his son to a well known Christian school (boarding), friend did not accept the advise, after the 2nd term, the son has become a big time HOMO - SHIT TANK lover.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Aerial View Of FUTO Owerri- PICTURES / 15 Exam Cheats Now Born Again Return Their WAEC Certificates / Online tutorial in Physics, Chemistry, Maths for Jamb and pume

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.