Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,233 members, 7,818,782 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 03:05 AM

Which Laptop Should I Buy? (Budget: $1200) - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Which Laptop Should I Buy? (Budget: $1200) (3728 Views)

Which Laptop Can I Buy With A 60 Thousand Naira Budget? / Which Laptop Has The Best Battery Life? / Which Laptop Product Do I Go For (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Which Laptop Should I Buy? (Budget: $1200) by Vongauche(m): 7:10pm On Dec 12, 2005
Fellow Nairaland users,

I am in a bit of a pickle and would appreciate your advice. The problem is that I need a new laptop and am currently scouting for one. I have browsed several websites and perused many a user review. I thought I had made a good choice in the HP Pavilion dv1000 series laptop but alas, it no longer takes my fancy (i heard of quite a few technical problems and poor customer support).

Anyway, here are my wants:

1) OS: Windows whatever
2) Display Size: at least 15"
3) Processor: anything but a Celeron and at least 1.6GHz!
4) Memory: at least 256mb RAM (512MB or higher preferable)
5) HDD: 60GB
6) Optical Drive: DVD+/-RW/R & CD-RW Combo
7) Networking: 802.11a/b/g & Bluetooth!
cool Battery Life: better than average, say about 3hrs
9) Expansion Slots: 1 PCI I/II PCMCIA slot
10) Communications: high-speed 56K data/fax modem 10/100 Base-T Fast Ethernet
11) Number of slots/ports: 2 or 3 USB ports, 1 or 2 headphone-out, 1 microphone-in, 1 RJ-11 (modem), 1 RJ -45 (LAN), 1 External VGA monitor port AND preferably 1 Built in 6-in-1 digital media reader OR a Memory Stick Pro reader
12) Build Quality: solid a la IBM/Sony
13) Finish: prefereably no fancy silver plastic; just ALL-BLACK
14) Speaker Quality: above average

As for the dimensions, I want something that's not too bulky (I am not good at estimating distances and weights!!!) My budget is no more $1,200 (the laptop must be a freaking awesome & durable beast for me to spend that much!).

Contributions from in-house geeks are especially requested. Novices can equally comment as long as they have experience of using the said brands/models.

Finally, under no circumstances would I consider any Toshiba for I have promised myself that I will not touch them even with a 10ft pole.

Thanks.
Re: Which Laptop Should I Buy? (Budget: $1200) by Seun(m): 9:51pm On Dec 12, 2005
Hello,

Wow - one would have to be in the Laptop selling business to be able to help you with this. Since your main reason for dropping the HP Pavilion dv1000 seems to be the poor technical support, you should start by chosing the manufacturer you want (Dell works for everyone, right?) and then posting the specifications of various laptops that are close to what you want. Then we will able to help you choose the best for you.

Good luck!
Re: Which Laptop Should I Buy? (Budget: $1200) by twinstaiye(m): 12:54pm On Dec 13, 2005
Try HP zd8000 series. visit www.hpshopping.com. I know of someone who recently bought this and it is working perfectly okay, moreso if it come with its dock, you will love it.
Re: Which Laptop Should I Buy? (Budget: $1200) by c0dec(m): 3:58pm On Dec 13, 2005
well i'm a fan of IBMs (all-black) even though the 2 IBMs i used in the past screwed me up (i didn't buy them brand new anyway). i've been using a HP (which fits your spec - dvd-rw and memory card reader) for over a year now and nothing evil has happened to it (i can't the battery lasts for over 3 hrs).

the thing with laptops and branded computers in general is that it's hard to find your dream spec at your dream price. but i'm sure you can find an IBM or Toshiba at 1200k.

ps: what do u have against a celeron? in short, what exactly are u going to be doing with your laptop?
Re: Which Laptop Should I Buy? (Budget: $1200) by timmy(m): 5:41pm On Dec 13, 2005
im using a presario 1800T, the most boring book in the world (at least to me) it doesnt even have infrared, imagin infrared of all fearures.. i just got an accer with some of your specs for about $1,000 (140,000) and its working just fine thought im still babay sitting it grin i use my grandad compaq more than i use nopix (thats what i call my new book)

You should get with that price but u go gats reduce your specs oh, btw have u being to www.shopforless.com ?
Re: Which Laptop Should I Buy? (Budget: $1200) by Lasun(m): 1:18pm On Dec 14, 2005
I think you should go for an HP compaq nc6120,it has all the features you mentioned above with a one year warranty redeemable even in nigeria.That's the one am using and I can vouch for it.Good luck[color=#000099][/color]
Re: Which Laptop Should I Buy? (Budget: $1200) by Lasun(m): 1:22pm On Dec 14, 2005
I think you should go for an HP compaq nc6120,it has all the features you mentioned above with a one year warranty redeemable even in nigeria.That's the one am using and I can vouch for it.Good luck[color=#000099][/color]
Re: Which Laptop Should I Buy? (Budget: $1200) by seeni4ever(m): 8:05pm On Dec 14, 2005
if i know which country you live i will advice to go to www.jr.com . they have the best laptops you can imagine. with your money u will buy two that are perfect for u.
Re: Which Laptop Should I Buy? (Budget: $1200) by axeprince(m): 9:31am On Dec 15, 2005
Well, I don't sell laptops, but I use.

there is particular one that my collegue just bought, it's wonder, it takes care of your specifications and more, it's a wonderful baby to have, and it's below 200K too

Acer TravelMate 310.

the only problem is that you should try to get a warranty on it.

all the best.
Re: Which Laptop Should I Buy? (Budget: $1200) by jogego(m): 9:08pm On Dec 15, 2005
First off, you cant want 15" screen and be talking of portability. The larger the screen, the more heavy the laptop is. Secondly, you cant get much of a battery life on a P4. You would be better off getting either a celeron or a P4-Mobile.

Having said that, personally, I'd go for IBM. It's rock solid and they normally have 3 years warranty. I have used Toshiba, and Dell amongst others and I cannot honestly based on my experiences with a new Toshiba laptop.

Am using my second IBM now and though I cant afford the price, I normally get it off ebay and it has never failed me.Am actually in the process of getting one of the X-series which are ultra portables less than 1.5KG and as flat as can be.

All the best.
Re: Which Laptop Should I Buy? (Budget: $1200) by Cactus(m): 4:54am On Dec 24, 2005
I hope u are still opened for an opinion here well, buying laptops it is great to have a set budget but flexibility on the budget is necessary check this out. these days sometimes brand names don't cut it. the new HP are great but kind of expensive for you budget runnin upwards of $2000. Check this out i think u will be glad u got this if u havent gotten any one yet. I use one of the Sager. very durable, solid sound system, works fantastic for any computing needs. and fits on your budget

http://www.discountlaptops.com/

I use one of the Sager series its awesome my recommendationi find sometin that suits you all the best. mine has in built webcam and microphone, so i need no addition accessories. look for one like that as well
Re: Which Laptop Should I Buy? (Budget: $1200) by rasidi(m): 10:19am On May 28, 2008
rasidi--call me at 08022558137 or rasheed_me2003@yahoo.com for an: HP 530 VICTORIA, CORE DUO, 1.66GHZ, 120GB HDD, 1024MB RAM, DVD RW, WINDOW VISTA. At: 150k Naira.
Re: Which Laptop Should I Buy? (Budget: $1200) by Delta007(m): 2:15pm On May 28, 2008
This is obviously an old thread but since someone brought it up, just incase anyone is looking for laptops (wholesale and retail), contact me at sales@jonitivecomputers.com or call 08033024790. We can work out a nice deal for you and beat your budget.

In the meantime, you can check out my thread on:
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-134252.0.html
Re: Which Laptop Should I Buy? (Budget: $1200) by TmeD0(m): 11:08pm On Jun 02, 2008
Since you're bent on an IBM or Sony, checkout this Lenovo with face recognition software @ 750 dolapo and you get a $100 rebate, which brings it to 650 dolapo. Like a poster stated, if you're in the US. you don't need to spend 1200 dolapo to get you a decent notebook. Look at this [url=http://www.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx/inspnnb_1525?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&~oid=us~en~29~inspnnb_1525_anav2~~l]Inspiron[/url] by Dell, I'm sure they'll gladly add the bluetooth feature for you at an additional cost when you customize the specs. All these notebooks will come down to what you're trying to use it for, which you didn't really specify. If you're just going to be running basic apps, surf the net, email and so on, you probably will be better off with a lot less expensive notebook. Peace!
Re: Which Laptop Should I Buy? (Budget: $1200) by chycin(f): 2:08pm On Jun 05, 2008
Please does any one know about fujitsu siemens laptop? Is it a sure bet or should i reject the offer. pls help.
Re: Which Laptop Should I Buy? (Budget: $1200) by sincmedia(m): 12:43pm On Jun 11, 2008
Before u buy that laptop

A home user wants all the features of a desktop PC in the form of a notebook. If you are a home user, then choose a notebook which is easy to carry and comes with the most basic computer applications. Students should opt for an affordable laptop which is light and durable. Frequent fliers need slim notebook models with long-lasting batteries. A business user should purchase a laptop with plenty of hard disk space and advanced security features while a gamer needs a fast processor and the latest graphics card.
What are the different kinds of laptop computers available?
Laptops for Entertainment:
Multimedia laptops are always more expensive and heavier than your standard model. These laptops come with a powerful processor, abundant ,

for more on these check http://adeoluf..com/

(1) (Reply)

US Used Hp Pavilion X360 Core I3 (4th Gen) / Download MTN Simple Server (Latest April 2015) Here / Audio drivers for hp g6000 vga

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.