Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,544 members, 7,816,324 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 09:32 AM

Herdsmen-farmers Clash: Taraba Lawmakers Move To Outlaw Open Grazing - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Herdsmen-farmers Clash: Taraba Lawmakers Move To Outlaw Open Grazing (977 Views)

Rep Unisa Speak On Lawmakers’ Move To Unseat Speaker Gbajabiamila / BREAKING: Senate Presidency, Speakership: APC Lawmakers Move Against Party / JUST IN: Lagos Lawmakers Move To Impeach Gov Akinwunmi Ambode - TVC (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Herdsmen-farmers Clash: Taraba Lawmakers Move To Outlaw Open Grazing by Blue3k(m): 3:00pm On Jun 01, 2017
An executive bill for a law to prohibit open grazing in Taraba on Wednesday passed second reading in the State House of Assembly.

The Majority Leader of the House, Joseph Kunini, who led the debate, commended Governor Darius Ishaku for initiating the bill titled “Anti Open Grazing and Ranching Establishment Bill 2017’’.

According to him, the bill, when passed and signed into law, will help solve the incessant herdsmen-farmers clashes and check the activities of cattle rustlers in the state.

In his contribution, Habila Anderifun, member representing Ussa Constituency, said that when passed, the bill would also raise the standard of cattle rearing in the state, in line with global best practices.

“The best practice the world over in cattle rearing is ranching.

“I was in Kenya recently with the Speaker on a state delegation and we studied their ranching system where herders and farmers are coexisting peacefully.

“We need to pass this bill to address the frequent clashes associated with cattle grazing in our state.

“With the progress this bill has made today, I can now sleep with my two eyes closed,” he said.

In his remarks, the Speaker, Abel Diah, thanked members for their honest contributions to the bill.

Mr. Diah announced the constitution of a seven-member committee to organise public hearing on the bill across the three senatorial zones of the state.

The committee, which has three weeks to submit its report
, has Mark Useni as Chairman, while Ibrahim Nahawe, Charles Maijankai, Gambo Mubarak, Douglas Ndatse, Muhammed Abdulkarim and John Kizito Bonzena are members.

(NAN)

Source: http://www.premiumtimesng.com/regional/nnorth-east/232741-herdsmen-farmers-clash-taraba-lawmakers-move-to-outlaw-open-grazing.html

Front Page: Mynd44 lalasticlala Seun

1 Like

Re: Herdsmen-farmers Clash: Taraba Lawmakers Move To Outlaw Open Grazing by pythonkid(m): 3:01pm On Jun 01, 2017
a
Re: Herdsmen-farmers Clash: Taraba Lawmakers Move To Outlaw Open Grazing by FieryJustice(m): 3:01pm On Jun 01, 2017
nice one
Re: Herdsmen-farmers Clash: Taraba Lawmakers Move To Outlaw Open Grazing by Blue3k(m): 3:07pm On Jun 01, 2017
Herdsmen better start saving money to buy ranches. The havoc the caused has killed their business model. Hopefully Kogi and Kwara pass similar law soon so we have wall. Please if you live in Taraba go show your support for this bill.

The South needs to stop being lazy windbags and pass laws against open grazing. I hear Delta governor complaining day and night yet he hasn't suggested for law to be passed. Akwa Ibom still hasn't passed law but the have on in debate right now.

1 Like

Re: Herdsmen-farmers Clash: Taraba Lawmakers Move To Outlaw Open Grazing by Gravas(m): 3:48pm On Jun 01, 2017
Fulani leaders will kick against it just like they have done in Benue. Their grand plan is to conquer Central Nigeria by force.
Re: Herdsmen-farmers Clash: Taraba Lawmakers Move To Outlaw Open Grazing by slivertongue: 4:26pm On Jun 01, 2017
an eye for an eye policy
Re: Herdsmen-farmers Clash: Taraba Lawmakers Move To Outlaw Open Grazing by Blue3k(m): 6:30pm On Jun 01, 2017
slivertongue:
an eye for an eye policy

I disagree the policy isn't too spite these herdsmen but to bring peace to all this chaos. The bill also addresses cattle rustling issue just like Benue bill does. They simply want to eliminate conflicts and have more productive means off cattle raising. The state will get more tax revenue. The people get more meat and diary.

Gravas:
Fulani leaders will kick against it just like they have done in Benue. Their grand plan is to conquer Central Nigeria by force.

Let them kick stream and cry. It's for the best long term. The National grazing reserves bill is dead mathematically speaking. Southern politicans don't want it and support in North central and North east is waning. As you see they are leasing charge towards ranching.

Ps: North leading charge on state level. Omenkalives come see good news.

1 Like

Re: Herdsmen-farmers Clash: Taraba Lawmakers Move To Outlaw Open Grazing by baralatie(m): 6:54pm On Jun 01, 2017
for taraba! I hope so but it will be. y executive order hor in taraba against Fulani hmmm
Re: Herdsmen-farmers Clash: Taraba Lawmakers Move To Outlaw Open Grazing by malton: 7:22pm On Jun 01, 2017
For which Kenya?

Their situation may not be bad as Nigeria's, but Kenyan herdsmen are using their people for suya as well.

A herdsman is a herdsman, whether in Nigeria or Cameroon.

It's only natural that a person who dwells with animals have animalistic tendencies.
Re: Herdsmen-farmers Clash: Taraba Lawmakers Move To Outlaw Open Grazing by malton: 7:23pm On Jun 01, 2017
baralatie:
for taraba! I hope so but it will be. y executive order hor in taraba against Fulani hmmm

Because Taraba isn't Fulani land.
Re: Herdsmen-farmers Clash: Taraba Lawmakers Move To Outlaw Open Grazing by PatriotTemidayo: 7:23pm On Jun 01, 2017
I hope it stands.

Taraba is too mixed and nomadic to allow such ban.
Re: Herdsmen-farmers Clash: Taraba Lawmakers Move To Outlaw Open Grazing by Blue3k(m): 7:23pm On Jun 01, 2017
baralatie:

Not everything boils down to petty tribalism if you're a normal person. The state benefit from this act when passed. Think about this if the Herdsmen can't do the grazing in Benue they naturally move east, west and south. Take a look at 2 conflicts.

January 17, 2016: Three people were killed in Gareji village in Taraba State. 

April 10, 2016: Between 15 and 44 were killed in Angai, Dashole, Dori and Mesuwa villages, all in Taraba State
Re: Herdsmen-farmers Clash: Taraba Lawmakers Move To Outlaw Open Grazing by malton: 7:28pm On Jun 01, 2017
PatriotTemidayo:
I hope it stands.

Taraba is too mixed and nomadic to allow such ban.

It will stand.
Re: Herdsmen-farmers Clash: Taraba Lawmakers Move To Outlaw Open Grazing by baralatie(m): 7:34pm On Jun 01, 2017
malton:

Because Taraba isn't Fulani land.
I know they have Bali as a stronghold and some other areas! how much of taraba land do you know? the Fulani own a particular LGA to themselves
Re: Herdsmen-farmers Clash: Taraba Lawmakers Move To Outlaw Open Grazing by Nobody: 7:40pm On Jun 01, 2017
Blue3k:
Herdsmen better start saving money to buy ranches. The havoc the caused has killed their business model. Hopefully Kogi and Kwara pass similar law soon so we have wall. Please if you live in Taraba go show your support for this bill.

The South needs to stop being lazy windbags and pass laws against open grazing. I hear Delta governor complaining day and night yet he hasn't suggested for law to be passed. Akwa Ibom still hasn't passed law but the have on in debate right now.

The FG is planning to build ranches for the herdsmen even though it's a private enterprise.

Welcome to One Nigeria
Re: Herdsmen-farmers Clash: Taraba Lawmakers Move To Outlaw Open Grazing by malton: 8:06pm On Jun 01, 2017
baralatie:

I know they have Bali as a stronghold and some other areas!
how much of taraba land do you know?
the Fulani own a particular LGA to themselves

The Fulanis in Taraba are settlers.

They don't own Bali; they're just the majority.

I know a lot about Taraba... My LG shares boundaries with them.
Re: Herdsmen-farmers Clash: Taraba Lawmakers Move To Outlaw Open Grazing by OVI75(m): 8:46pm On Jun 01, 2017
Fulani And Blood
Re: Herdsmen-farmers Clash: Taraba Lawmakers Move To Outlaw Open Grazing by Blue3k(m): 8:50pm On Jun 01, 2017
Kathmandu:
The FG is planning to build ranches for the herdsmen even though it's a private enterprise.

Welcome to One Nigeria

I disagree with Federal Government approach. If you want to give out loans for ranching cool. Next if they are establishing ranch will they be finally pass laws against open grazing? The Miyetti Allah Cattle Breeders Association is out wailing about Benue as we speak.

Next I don't think the have numbers to pass bill handing out land. Like I said in prebooks post it seems tides have changed. The some states in North are going towards different model.
Re: Herdsmen-farmers Clash: Taraba Lawmakers Move To Outlaw Open Grazing by Nobody: 8:58pm On Jun 01, 2017
Blue3k:

I disagree with Federal Government approach. If you want to give out loans for ranching cool. Next if they are establishin ranch will they be finally pass laws against open grazing? The Miyetti Allah Cattle Breeders Association is out wailing about Benue as we speak.

Next I don't think the have numbers to pass bill handing out land. Like I said in prebooks post it seems tides have changed. The some states in North are going towards different model.
The problem with you is that you think things in Nigeria work in that Textbook way you read it.
The FG is planning to engage in an illegal venture of building
Ranch for herdsmen and they will term it National Security

1 Like

Re: Herdsmen-farmers Clash: Taraba Lawmakers Move To Outlaw Open Grazing by Blue3k(m): 9:11pm On Jun 01, 2017
Kathmandu:
The problem with you is that you think things in Nigeria work in that Textbook way you read it.

Doubt the scenario you've proposed. Please feel free to quote me if it does happen. Buhari or who ever going to go on unpopular illegal venture when there's not much time before next election.

If that's plan what is he waiting for. The herdsmen were already dubbed 4th most dangerous terrorist group 2014 so he would done it these past 2 years with that mandate. The problem with you is you don't think about the feasibility of conspiracy theories.

Kathmandu:
It seems you are calling it conspiracy theory when Audu Ogbeh said Nigeria will start importing grass from Brazil to feed cattles.

My question is this, Does Nigeria have any livestock that its rearing right now?

Your comparing apples and oranges because you can't explain why he didn't do the illegal venture on national secruity concerns. Second how is grass imports relate to what you commented. Don't know if Nigeria established state owned ranches. Again feel free to tag me if the do though.
Re: Herdsmen-farmers Clash: Taraba Lawmakers Move To Outlaw Open Grazing by Nobody: 9:16pm On Jun 01, 2017
Blue3k:

Doubt the scenario you've proposed. Please feel free to quote me if it does happen. Buhari or who ever going to go on unpopular illegal venture when there's not much time before next election.

If that's plan what is he waiting for. The herdsmen were already dubbed 4th most dangerous group 2014 so he would done it these past 2 years with that mandate. The problem with you is you don't think about the feasibility of conspiracy theories.
It seems you are calling it conspiracy theory when Audu Ogbeh said Nigeria will start importing grass from Brazil to feed cattles.

My question is this, Does Nigeria have any livestock that its rearing right now?

1 Like

Re: Herdsmen-farmers Clash: Taraba Lawmakers Move To Outlaw Open Grazing by Nobody: 9:47pm On Jun 01, 2017
malton:
For which Kenya?

Their situation may not be bad as Nigeria's, but Kenyan herdsmen are using their people for suya as well.

A herdsman is a herdsman, whether in Nigeria or Cameroon.

It's only natural that a person who dwells with animals have animalistic tendencies.
Farmer-herdsmen crisis is unheard of in Kenya. When I say unheard of, I mean it is not even an issue.

The lawmakers are on point on Kenya.
Re: Herdsmen-farmers Clash: Taraba Lawmakers Move To Outlaw Open Grazing by malton: 9:54pm On Jun 01, 2017
igbodefender:
Farmer-herdsmen crisis is unheard of in Kenya. When I say unheard of, I mean it is not even an issue.

The lawmakers are on point on Kenya.

I have been following the developments in Kenya for some time now.

Here's one such clash involving a high profile landowner.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-39683731?utm_source=&utm_medium=twitter
Re: Herdsmen-farmers Clash: Taraba Lawmakers Move To Outlaw Open Grazing by Nobody: 9:55pm On Jun 01, 2017
Kathmandu:
Under the Land Use Act, the power to carve out such lands lies with he state government not he Federal Government, and I don't see any Southern Governor who does not want to be rejected by his people agreeing to such.

These attempts at grazing reserve have already failed several times in the National Assembly and will keep failing.

1 Like

Re: Herdsmen-farmers Clash: Taraba Lawmakers Move To Outlaw Open Grazing by Blue3k(m): 3:23am On Jun 02, 2017
igbodefender:
Under the Land Use Act, the power to carve out such lands lies with he state government not he Federal Government, and I don't see any Southern Governor who does not want to be rejected by his people agreeing to such.

These attempts at grazing reserve have already failed several times in the National Assembly and will keep failing.

That's text book now. Buhari going to chase you with AK for national secruity purposes. Who cares if it's illegal, unpopular or impractical.

(1) (Reply)

Please Tune Into Ait. Biafra Being Discussed. / Exclusive: Nnamdi Kanu Using IPOB As Platform To Become A Political Godfather / Kwankwaso Pay Condolence Visit To Taraba State (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.