Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,235 members, 7,818,790 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 03:39 AM

Ireland's Next Prime Minister Is A Conservative, Gay 38-year-old - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Ireland's Next Prime Minister Is A Conservative, Gay 38-year-old (984 Views)

Thomas Thabane Resigns As Lesotho Prime Minister / President Rodrigo Duterte: I Used To Be Gay, 'Cured' Myself With Beautiful Women / Theresa May Announces Her Resignation As British Prime Minister (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ireland's Next Prime Minister Is A Conservative, Gay 38-year-old by ifyan(m): 11:27pm On Jun 02, 2017
Ireland is to get its youngest prime minister, and the first who is openly gay.

Leo Varadkar, the 38-year-old Minister for Social Protection, was elected leader of the ruling Fine Gael party on Friday. He will be confirmed as Taoiseach, or prime minister, when the Irish parliament reconvenes on June 13.

The outgoing Taoiseach, Enda Kenny, stepped down as party leader in May, a position he held since 2002.
Varadkar's sole opponent, Housing Minister Simon Coveney, whose roots in the party run deep, won the backing of nearly two-thirds of the party's regular members.

But in the system for electing Fine Gael's leader, their votes only made up 25% of the total. Varadkar was backed by a majority of the Fine Gael's local council members and, crucially, 51 of its 73 parliamentary colleagues, whose votes counted for 65% of the total.
Varadkar said he was "delighted and humbled" at the result.

Varadkar, the son of an Indian-born father and Irish mother, became a doctor before first entering Irish parliament at the age of 27.

In 2015, as Minister of Health, Varadkar came out on Irish national radio, joining a handful of other openly gay politicians in Ireland in support of the Marriage Equality Bill, which allows same sex couples to marry.

Varadkar might seem to be an unexpected pick for leader of Ireland -- a country that's still finding its secular European footing after years of church influence over the state. But Varadkar's policies signal a sharp move towards the right.

Ireland's future
In his leadership campaign, "Taking Ireland Forward," Varadkar's fiscally conservative politics took center stage. He fiercely campaigned against benefit fraud with the slogan "welfare cheats cheat us all." He pledged to invest in large infrastructure projects, reform tax laws for the self-employed and has proposed to ban "essential" public workers from going on strike.

Varadkar also promised to represent the "people who get up early in the morning," in an effort to harness the support of Ireland's rural farmers, the middle class and elderly -- rhetoric that critics say both alienates and demonizes a large chunk of Ireland's casual workforce, who have been hit by increased austerity measures. He has also pledged to hold a referendum on abortion in 2018.

Varadkar is expected to officially take up the role as Taoiseach on June 13 after a formal confirmation from parliamentary members.
Re: Ireland's Next Prime Minister Is A Conservative, Gay 38-year-old by ifyan(m): 11:28pm On Jun 02, 2017
He also of Indian decent

Re: Ireland's Next Prime Minister Is A Conservative, Gay 38-year-old by Nobody: 11:32pm On Jun 02, 2017
I don't wanna sound homophobic, but the world is coming to an end.
Re: Ireland's Next Prime Minister Is A Conservative, Gay 38-year-old by ifyan(m): 11:33pm On Jun 02, 2017
blackberlin:

Bro Abeg not now. Please biko

1 Like

Re: Ireland's Next Prime Minister Is A Conservative, Gay 38-year-old by ifyan(m): 11:33pm On Jun 02, 2017
blackberlin:

Bros abeg not now. Please biko
Re: Ireland's Next Prime Minister Is A Conservative, Gay 38-year-old by Nobody: 11:34pm On Jun 02, 2017
ifyan:

Bros abeg not now. Please biko

What is this one saying.... Hope you know its 14 years!!!
Abeg clear for road!
Re: Ireland's Next Prime Minister Is A Conservative, Gay 38-year-old by seunny4lif(m): 1:11pm On Jun 03, 2017
blackberlin:

What is this one saying.... Hope you know its 14 years!!!
Abeg clear for road!
Na Nigeria ?
Re: Ireland's Next Prime Minister Is A Conservative, Gay 38-year-old by seunny4lif(m): 1:12pm On Jun 03, 2017
blackberlin:
I never use Posche o oooh
Make world never and ooooh grin grin
Re: Ireland's Next Prime Minister Is A Conservative, Gay 38-year-old by ifyan(m): 1:54pm On Jun 03, 2017
seunny4lif:

I never see my beautiful wife with my triplet in my mansion on my parents arm when my relations came visiting with one of my private jet with my company name written that have also flys presidents of different multinationals worth Billions of Kuwait Dollars which some are half of my Bank Account that are in different corners of the 6 continents of the world.

Abeg this end should postpone it coming. grin grin grin grin
Re: Ireland's Next Prime Minister Is A Conservative, Gay 38-year-old by seunny4lif(m): 1:55pm On Jun 03, 2017
grin grin
Another one grin
ifyan:

I never see my beautiful wife with my triplet in my mansion on my parents arm when my relations came visiting with one of my private jet with my company name written that have also flys presidents of different multinationals worth Billions of Kuwait Dollars which some are half of my Bank Account that are in different corners of the 6 continents of the world.

Abeg this end should postpone it coming. grin grin grin grin
Re: Ireland's Next Prime Minister Is A Conservative, Gay 38-year-old by ifyan(m): 1:57pm On Jun 03, 2017
seunny4lif:
grin grin
Another one grin

Abi na lie l De lie. cool cool [font=Lucida Sans Unicode][/font]
Re: Ireland's Next Prime Minister Is A Conservative, Gay 38-year-old by seunny4lif(m): 2:00pm On Jun 03, 2017
ifyan:

Abi na lie l De lie. cool cool [font=Lucida Sans Unicode][/font]
Noooooo
I still dey won born 12 kids
Use only 3 private jets
Re: Ireland's Next Prime Minister Is A Conservative, Gay 38-year-old by Nobody: 2:14pm On Jun 03, 2017
seunny4lif:

Na so ooo.... cheesy grin
Re: Ireland's Next Prime Minister Is A Conservative, Gay 38-year-old by Nobody: 2:15pm On Jun 03, 2017
seunny4lif:

Na Nigeria ?

You wey dey support am, na Irish u be abi! grin
Re: Ireland's Next Prime Minister Is A Conservative, Gay 38-year-old by seunny4lif(m): 2:28pm On Jun 03, 2017
grin grin grin
See ya grin grin
Yes now
blackberlin:

You wey dey support am, na Irish u be abi! grin
Re: Ireland's Next Prime Minister Is A Conservative, Gay 38-year-old by seunny4lif(m): 2:28pm On Jun 03, 2017
cool
blackberlin:

Na so ooo.... cheesy grin
Re: Ireland's Next Prime Minister Is A Conservative, Gay 38-year-old by ifyan(m): 4:06pm On Jun 03, 2017
seunny4lif:

Noooooo
I still dey won born 12 kids
Use only 3 private jets

Come you 12 children or you mean 1 or 2 kide
Re: Ireland's Next Prime Minister Is A Conservative, Gay 38-year-old by seunny4lif(m): 4:06pm On Jun 03, 2017
ifyan:

Come you 12 children or you mean 1 or 2 kide
Wetin now
12 kids grin grin
Re: Ireland's Next Prime Minister Is A Conservative, Gay 38-year-old by ifyan(m): 4:07pm On Jun 03, 2017
seunny4lif:

Wetin now
12 kids grin grin

PEJ must c dis
Re: Ireland's Next Prime Minister Is A Conservative, Gay 38-year-old by seunny4lif(m): 4:22pm On Jun 03, 2017
ifyan:

PEJ must c dis

Re: Ireland's Next Prime Minister Is A Conservative, Gay 38-year-old by ifyan(m): 10:35am On Jun 05, 2017
So wetin dem go call his partner when him enter.

(1) (Reply)

Venezuelans Use Their Currency To Make Purses As Minimum Wage Cannot Buy Coke / A Look At ₦5.7b MQ-9 Reaper Drone That Bombed The Car Ferrying Iranian General / Video: See How Mali President Was Attacked With A Knife During Eid Prayers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.