Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,227 members, 7,818,772 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 02:21 AM

Stop Fighting Over My Successor,mugabe Tells Allies - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Stop Fighting Over My Successor,mugabe Tells Allies (297 Views)

2 Huge Male Snakes Fighting Over Female Snake Crash Into Australian Man's House / Ogundamisi: Robert Mugabe Could Not Take His Massive Mansion With Him (Pix) / Mugabe Rules Out Retirement At 93 - I Have No Acceptable Successor (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Stop Fighting Over My Successor,mugabe Tells Allies by mztemmytope: 3:47pm On Jun 03, 2017
Zimbabwean President Robert Mugabe called on Friday for unity in his ruling ZANU-PF party, which has been riven by infighting over who will eventually succeed the world’s oldest leader.

Mugabe, 93, has ruled the southern African nation since independence from Britain in 1980 and wants to seek another five-year term next year, his last under the constitution, despite concerns over his health.

The veteran leader, who looks increasingly frail, has made two trips this year to Singapore for medical checks, which his spokesman said were related to his eyes.

Private media have reported that Mugabe has prostate cancer, which officials deny. Addressing a ZANU-PF youth rally in Marondera town, some 70 kilometres (43 miles) east of the capital Harare, Mugabe said different party factions were preoccupied with plotting how to take over from him, saying some of the plots had assumed tribal overtones.

“That kills the party. Stop it, stop it. We do not want to start to fight each other before the time comes,” Mugabe said. “Be at peace, the time will come, it’s certainly coming. Congress will decide,” Mugabe said, referring to the five-year gathering of the party that chooses the ZANU-PF leader, due to take place in 2019 when Mugabe will be 95.

Some party officials have been privately lobbying for the meeting to be brought forward to December, allowing Mugabe’s successor to contest next year’s vote. Friday’s rally was meant to

Read more at: http://therenaissanceng.com/stop-fighting-over-my-successormugabe-tells-allies

(1) (Reply)

Chicago Holiday Weekend Shootings Claim 101 Victims / Turkey opposition CHP slams introduction of ‘Jihad into new education curriculum / 'yes' Wins Catalonia Independence Vote Marred By Chaos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 6
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.