Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,549 members, 7,812,752 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 06:44 PM

How A TurboCharger Works - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / How A TurboCharger Works (2999 Views)

Do-you-know-the-difference-between-supercharger And Turbocharger / Signs That Your Turbocharger Is Failing (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How A TurboCharger Works by obafemee80(m): 10:15pm On Jun 03, 2017
[img]http:///a/img923/1385/Y6n1gt.jpg[/img]

What Is A Turbocharger?
A turbocharger is a kind of air pump taking air at ambient pressures (atmospheric pressure),compressing to a higher pressure and passing the compressed air into the engine via the inlet valves—generating pressure or “boost”—allowing more fuel to be used, and thus helping the engine produce more power.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ji3MpElXr4s

How Does A Turbocharger Work?
The waste exhaust gases of the engine are utilised to drive a turbine wheel,which is connected to a compressor wheel by a shaft. The compressor or air wheel sucks in air through the air filters and passes this into the engine. As the waste gases are expelled from the engine,they are directed to the turbine or hot wheel of the turbo and so completes the cycle.

[img]http:///a/img923/166/Fijrjq.jpg[/img]

1. Capture
Instead of escaping through the exhaust pipe, hot gases produced during combustion flow to the turbocharger.The cylinders inside an internal combustion engine fire in sequence (not all at once), so exhaust exits the combustion chamber in irregular pulses. Conventional single-scroll turbochargers route those irregular pulses of exhaust into the turbine in a way that causes them to collide and interfere with one another,reducing the strength of the flow.In contrast,a twin-scroll turbocharger gathers exhaust from pairs of cylinders in alternating sequence.

2. Spin
The exhaust strikes the turbine blades, spinning them at up to 150,000 rpm.The alternating pulses of exhaust help eliminate turbo lag.

3. Vent

Having served their purpose, exhaust gases flow through an outlet to the catalytic converter, where they are scrubbed of
carbon monoxide,nitrous oxides and other pollutants before exiting through the tailpipe.

4. Compress 
Meanwhile,the turbine powers an air compressor,which gathers cold,clean air from a vent and compresses it to 30 percent above atmospheric pressure, or nearly 19 pounds per square inch.
Dense, oxygen-rich air flows to the combustion chamber.The additional oxygen makes it possible for the engine to burn gasoline more completely,generating more performance from a smaller engine.As a result, the TwinPower engine generates 30 percent more power than a non-turbocharged one of the same size. 

http://www.turbodynamics.co.uk/technical/understanding-turbochargers/
Pics Credit:google.com

https://autojosh.com/how-a-turbocharger-works/

2 Likes

Re: How A TurboCharger Works by Nobody: 2:18am On Jun 04, 2017
obafemee80:

At the present time,turbos are used mainly on diesel engines

SMH.

4 Likes

Re: How A TurboCharger Works by GAZZUZZ(m): 6:55am On Jun 04, 2017
EgunMogaji:

SMH.

That's the problem we have with these copy and paste kids cheesy

1 Like

Re: How A TurboCharger Works by Nobody: 8:53am On Jun 04, 2017
GAZZUZZ:

And in his mind he's now a blogger sad
Re: How A TurboCharger Works by obafemee80(m): 10:43am On Jun 04, 2017
At the present time,turbos are used mainly on diesel engines, but there is now a move towards the turbo charging of production petrol engines

Thank for pointing out the mistake...I know and have seen turbocharged petrol engines,but what it simply means is that turbocharging a petrol engine is not as rewarding as a diesel engine.Pointing out the mistake in an honourable way would have been better and not talking as if both of you can use your brain to build/design a car/engine components angry

EgunMogaji:

May Allah forgive you esp. during this season.This is one of the dumbest post have seen on Nairaland angry

GAZZUZZ:

Copy and pastes Kid ? grin
I only come online to share all these cos some are willing to know and probably save them from their fraudulent mechanics...I want you to know that 'Pride always goes before a fall' and I pray you don't go that way
I know am not a motor mechanic or pro,but their is hardly what you know that I don't know and even have a Uni.Cert to show for it.

4 Likes

Re: How A TurboCharger Works by GAZZUZZ(m): 11:29am On Jun 04, 2017
obafemee80:

Thank for pointing out the mistake...I know and have seen turbocharged petrol engines,but what it simply means is that turbocharging a petrol engine is not as rewarding as a diesel engine.Pointing out the mistake in an honourable way would have been better and not talking as if both of you can use your brain to build/design a car/engine components angry

May Allah forgive you esp. during this season.This is one of the dumbest post have seen on Nairaland angry

I only come online to share all these cos some are willing to know and probably save them from their fraudulent mechanics...I want you to know that 'Pride always goes before a fall' and I pray you don't go that way
I know am not a motor mechanic or pro,but their is hardly what you know that I don't know and even have a Uni.Cert to show for it.

I am really confused at the highlighted part. What does it mean?
Re: How A TurboCharger Works by Aldebaran(m): 11:32am On Jun 04, 2017
EgunMogaji:

GAZZUZZ:

You come online to form Oversabi..
Shiorrr tongue tongue

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: How A TurboCharger Works by LeJeun3: 11:42am On Jun 04, 2017

You didn't actually acknowledge your mistake you, you just showed how right everyone else was.....

obafemee80:

Re: How A TurboCharger Works by obafemee80(m): 11:51am On Jun 04, 2017
GAZZUZZ:

I am really confused at the highlighted part. What does it mean?

You said Copy and paste Kids,
You may be talking to someone older and am not saying am a Pro in auto world...
Try to respect people online..Everyone on this forum is here to learn and not to form a boss.
If you can't correct positively,just walk away

1 Like

Re: How A TurboCharger Works by GAZZUZZ(m): 12:25pm On Jun 04, 2017
obafemee80:

You said Copy and paste Kids,
You may be talking to someone older and am not saying am a Pro in auto world...
Try to respect people online..Everyone on this forum is here to learn and not to form a boss.
If you can't correct positively,just walk away

Try and readup some of autojohns posts, they are carefully researched before being posted.

This is the 2nd time you will be corrected in 1 week about copy and paste articles that you got off the web.

Learn to do proper research before posting, if not your actions will be no different from what kids do on NL.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How A TurboCharger Works by Nobody: 1:41pm On Jun 04, 2017
Aldebaran:

You come online to form Oversabi..
Shiorrr tongue tongue

Is it yet another holiday in Nigeria?

The kids seem to be active on Nairaland today.
Re: How A TurboCharger Works by Nobody: 1:43pm On Jun 04, 2017
obafemee80:

You asshat how is it my job to educate you?

Grow a pair of balls and man the f up.

1 Like

Re: How A TurboCharger Works by Aldebaran(m): 2:15pm On Jun 04, 2017
EgunMogaji:

Is it yet another holiday in Nigeria?
The kids seem to be active on Nairaland today.
Deaf,Dumb and Blind kid..thats what u r

1 Like

Re: How A TurboCharger Works by LeJeun3: 2:24pm On Jun 04, 2017

Funny both you and OP cannot respect yourselves.

People correcting you must have you in mind undecided

Aldebaran:

1 Like

Re: How A TurboCharger Works by DaimlerBen(m): 2:30pm On Jun 04, 2017
Peace! Peace be unto this house.
(Mammiri di n'elu ulo nke a! grin)

obafemee80:

...what it simply means is that turbocharging a petrol engine is not as rewarding as a diesel engine.

Did you know that Ford is doing away with their big displacement petrol engines & replacing them with small turbocharged ones?
How do you think most hypercars & those powerful sleeper cars get more than a thousand horsepower? Turbos, of course.

The point of this whole bashing is that you should research before posting, not copy one website & post here. People come to this forum for knowledge, so don't mislead them, please.
Re: How A TurboCharger Works by obafemee80(m): 3:07pm On Jun 04, 2017
DaimlerBen:

Did you know that Ford is doing away with their big displacement petrol engines & replacing them with small turbocharged ones?
How do you think most hypercars & those powerful sleeper cars get more than a thousand horsepower? Turbos, of course.

The point of this whole bashing is that you should research before posting, not copy one website & post here. People come to this forum for knowledge, so don't mislead them, please.
Thanks man... I luv Constructive criticism.
Thats what i expected them to do and not calling me a kid
Re: How A TurboCharger Works by Nobody: 3:33pm On Jun 04, 2017
Aldebaran:

Yet here I am, and there you are and will always remain grin

2 Likes

Re: How A TurboCharger Works by Nobody: 3:34pm On Jun 04, 2017
DaimlerBen:

You have patience BUT shouldn't it be the dunce Mr. Blogger that should be educating us?
Re: How A TurboCharger Works by Aldebaran(m): 4:11pm On Jun 04, 2017
EgunMogaji:

Yet here I am, and there you are and will always remain grin
just try to read everything you have been writing up there...
Why do fake people like bringing people down for no just reason?-insecurity?
He never said he is blogger and all those sites are not his.
Pls always try to criticise constructively-You and Gazzuzz,so that you dont sound mean
There is nothing special if you correct people 1000 times in their post atleast they will like you more and will work harder.
I have learnt alot from his posts.
@DaimlerBen-thats cool
Re: How A TurboCharger Works by Nobody: 4:14pm On Jun 04, 2017
Aldebaran:

just try to read everything you have been writing up there...
Why do fake people like bringing people down for no just reason?-insecurity?
[b]He never said he is blogger and all those sites are not his.[\b]
Pls always try to criticise constructively-You and Gazzuzz,so that you dont sound jealous
There is nothing special if you correct people 1000 times in their post atleast they will like you more and will work harder.
I have learnt alot from his posts.
@DaimlerBen-thats cool

Dude, please go play outside. I think I hear the ice cream truck coming.

You're such a dunce and an illiterate and you should be working on bettering your life instead of being an EgunMogajiHolic.

You're a non-entity and as useful to me as a squirt gun.
Re: How A TurboCharger Works by thebigkendo(m): 5:18pm On Jun 04, 2017
EgunMogaji:

Dude, please go play outside. I think I hear the ice cream truck coming.

You're such a dunce and an illiterate and you should be working on bettering your life instead of being an EgunMogajiHolic.

You're a non-entity and as useful to me as a squirt gun.

Hehehe ee does not know who EgunMogaji is ...

2 Likes

Re: How A TurboCharger Works by diportivo: 7:44am On Jun 05, 2017
interesting thread

I love me my turbos tongue

Re: How A TurboCharger Works by princ27(m): 12:58am On Jun 08, 2017
pls guys.. help me check my blog site if it in a cool shape. www.princeoguru..com
EgunMogaji:

You have patience BUT shouldn't it be the dunce Mr. Blogger that should be educating us?

(1) (Reply)

Tin-can Clearing Agent/ Cotonue Car Dealer / What Should I Be Aware Of In Nissan Xterra Vehicle? / Son Commences Nationwide Mop-up Of Substandard Tyres

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.