Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,175 members, 7,821,982 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 11:28 PM

Senators Plot To Impeach Yar'adua - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Senators Plot To Impeach Yar'adua (3545 Views)

Some Senators Are Planning To Impeach Buhari – Sen. Kwankwaso / Aftermath of PDP Primaries: Senators Plot To Impeach Mark / Aftermath Of PDP Primaries: Senators Plot To Impeach Mark (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Senators Plot To Impeach Yar'adua by Abagworo(m): 2:24am On Jan 19, 2010
http://www.independentngonline.com/DailyIndependent/Article.aspx?id=7138

60 Senators Plot To Impeach Yar’Adua

• Motion Underway To Make Jonathan Acting President

By Adetutu Folasade-Koyi, Rotimi Akinwumi (Abuja) and Abel Orukpe (Lagos)

DISAGREEMENT among Senators takes another dimension as a group sketches a recourse to Section 145 of the Constitution following the absence of President Umaru Yar’Adua.

Sixty Senators have warned that impeachment is on the cards against the objection of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), which insists that there are no plans to replace However, former Senate President Adolphus Wabara, stressed at the weekend that protest is the only way to ensure that Jonathan acts as President.

He told journalists at a wedding ceremony in Port Harcourt that since Yar’Adua is out of the country Jonathan should act as President because that is what the Constitution says.

“The process of (Jonathan) acting is what is causing the controversy now,” Wabara noted.

“My advice to Nigerians is to find out why, up till now, (he) has not acted. I don’t know why that has not happened but we will try and find out because I have been out of the country for about three months”.

When asked why Yar’Adua failed to send a letter to the legislature before he left for medical treatment in Saudi Arabia, he said: “I wouldn’t know, it depends on the circumstances under which he left.

“We have to pray for him, and find out why he left without dropping a formal letter. We should find out how he left before drawing conclusions.”

Wabara appealed to Nigerians to calm down to enable them achieve through protest what others could not achieve with guns, adding that democracy should be allowed to play its role.

“They should leave us to continue with the protest and we will surely get there. I want to re-emphasis that the problem we have will be resolved but they should allow us to resolve it through the carrying of placards and not through guns, then the pressure will get on those who are trying to misinterpret the law.” However, former Senate President Adolphus Wabara, stressed at the weekend that protest is the only way to ensure that Jonathan acts as President.

He told journalists at a wedding ceremony in Port Harcourt that since Yar’Adua is out of the country Jonathan should act as President because that is what the Constitution says.

“The process of (Jonathan) acting is what is causing the controversy now,” Wabara noted.

“My advice to Nigerians is to find out why, up till now, (he) has not acted. I don’t know why that has not happened but we will try and find out because I have been out of the country for about three months”.

When asked why Yar’Adua failed to send a letter to the legislature before he left for medical treatment in Saudi Arabia, he said: “I wouldn’t know, it depends on the circumstances under which he left.

“We have to pray for him, and find out why he left without dropping a formal letter. We should find out how he left before drawing conclusions.”

Wabara appealed to Nigerians to calm down to enable them achieve through protest what others could not achieve with guns, adding that democracy should be allowed to play its role.

“They should leave us to continue with the protest and we will surely get there. I want to re-emphasis that the problem we have will be resolved but they should allow us to resolve it through the carrying of placards and not through guns, then the pressure will get on those who are trying to misinterpret the law.” Yar’Adua – and also against the wishes of Senate President David Mark who maintains that the man has not breached the Constitution.

Section 145 says: “Whenever the President transmits to the President of the Senate and the Speaker of the House of Representatives a written declaration that he is proceeding on vacation or that he is otherwise unable to discharge the functions of his office, until he transmits to them a written declaration to the contrary such functions shall be discharged by the Vice President as Acting President.”

Sixty Senators who have signed a petition said they are dissatisfied with the outcome of the motion that sought a debate on Yar’Adua’s health last Tuesday.

Sources confirmed at the weekend that the Senators, whose membership cuts across the six zones, plan to table a new motion that would compel Vice-President Goodluck Jonathan to perform the duties of Yar’Adua until he is fit to return to his seat.

Last week, the Chamber debated a motion sponsored by Deputy Senate President, Ike Ekweremadu, and 30 others seeking to send a delegation to Saudi Arabia to ascertain the state of health of Yar’Adua.

But the motion was later watered down as the Senate only resolved to summon the Secretary to the Government of the Federation (SGF), Yayale Ahmed, to brief lawmakers.

Although the motion raised concern that there is no formal communication from Yar’Adua in line with Section 145 of the Constitution which will empower Jonathan to act as President, it drifted from tackling any constitutional matter.

However, sources in the National Assembly (NASS) said dissatisfied Senators have resolved to re-launch the motion, which would require a two-thirds majority.

A source close to the angry lawmakers said they have collated 60 signatures of those who want the motion revisited.

“It will be a mass movement in the Upper Chamber and I assure you that we have the needed two thirds majority to do that.

“This movement cuts across all geo-political zones and all classes of Senators. It is not a question of opposition or majority Senator, what we are after is the peace and orderly governance of our country,” one Senator explained.

The first bid, according to him, is to resuscitate the motion and empower it with a clear recommendation that Jonathan be made to act as President until the return of Yar’Adua, who has been hospitalised in Saudi Arabia since November 23 last year.

The source said if the Senators meet with resistance, they may be forced to list impeachable offences against Yar’Adua, especially his failure to comply with Section 145 of the Constitution.

“As we are talking now, 60 Senators have signed for the motion, they are from all geo-political zones, and the catch is that (Jonathan) must be seen to be running the affairs of this country as acting President, unlike the current situation where some appointed persons are exercising the powers of the President.

“If they don’t allow him to take power, we will have no other alternative but to pursue impeachment proceedings against (Yar’Adua).

“We have observed that the nation is still backward because of the type of warped thinking that prevented (Yar’Adua) from communicating the National Assembly on his vacation.

“Despite our 10 years into democracy, many Nigerians still find it difficult to feed themselves.

“What is right is right, even if the Constitution does not expressly state it, common sense provides that if the President is not around, his Deputy should act. That is the appropriate thing.

“We are going to table the motion again, I won’t tell you the exact date but if we are prevented, I hope it will not be the issue that would rock this Senate.

“All categories of Senators have signed, including the former Governors among us; all the experienced, the old and the young Senators. We have the two thirds needed to move the motion and we are ready.”
Re: Senators Plot To Impeach Yar'adua by neily(f): 8:41am On Jan 19, 2010
They are all morons! How are we sure dat its not the people dat are preventing him (Jonathan) to act dat are also trying to use the senators to remove him from power. That is naija for u. These men on red cap will not allow anything good to happen in Naija. May God help us.
Re: Senators Plot To Impeach Yar'adua by Igbanibo: 8:48am On Jan 19, 2010
Dont hold your breath!!!
Re: Senators Plot To Impeach Yar'adua by chosen04(f): 9:57am On Jan 19, 2010
It will never work.
The cabal holding the country ransome has got majority in the senate especially among her Hausa and Fulani cohorts.
Re: Senators Plot To Impeach Yar'adua by jamace(m): 10:17am On Jan 19, 2010
The power of G-M-G should not be under rated in this issue.
Re: Senators Plot To Impeach Yar'adua by naijaswag1: 10:23am On Jan 19, 2010
These men and women are toothless bulldogs.Are they not the same people who reversed themselves on the US placing Nigeria on the Notorious 14? Jan 22 will mark exactly two solid months that Nigeria's development and progress came to a halt while the health of an under performing sick president became the nation's number one (No.1) agenda.Most of these Senators are more interested in the over N200million annully which they get inform of salary and constituency funds including all the embezzlement and stolen funds than the progress of Nigeria.As far as they are comfortable,Nigeria is OK.

Because of the Airport security situation,I forsee a mad rush for private jets by Nigerians politicians and how are they going to get the cash,its from the national coffers.
Re: Senators Plot To Impeach Yar'adua by Abagworo(m): 10:42am On Jan 19, 2010
The big question remains why no action has been taken for two months and still counting.
Re: Senators Plot To Impeach Yar'adua by naijaswag1: 10:56am On Jan 19, 2010
Abagworo:

The big question remains why no action has been taken for two months and still counting.

This not a big question.If you understand Nigeria a little bit,you will get the picture very clear.Politics in Nigeria is the same as a vocation or career which one ventures to secure his future in an unstable country like ours.If there is a power change,many of these men hovering in Aso Rock will lose their means of livelihood and boom they beome poor overnight.This s what they are trying to prevent.I know for such,they will be cursing Yar'Adua for being a sick weakling.
Re: Senators Plot To Impeach Yar'adua by KnowAll(m): 11:15am On Jan 19, 2010
We have less than 14 months to the next swearing- in. Goodluck should just be playing the role he has being playing since his boss flew to Saudi Arabia. It is obvious his boss is not prepared to promote him to the next level, he (Goodluck ) has nothing to lose, he should continue in his acting capacity until 2011 when we would have our next election.

Even if the Presidency where given to him today what is he going to do in less than 14 months that will benefit the Nigerian people. I am not sure he would add any semblance of relevancy to the lives of the poor folks, the un-employed and the down and trodden . The status quo should remain the same unless Mr Goodluck is prepared to perform some miracle within the next 14 months, and if that is the case he had better start telling Nigerians what difference his Presidency would bring that Yardua is not currently doing. Why should the country give him the most important and sensitive Job in a platter of Gold without knowing what his plans for the nation is ?
undecided
Re: Senators Plot To Impeach Yar'adua by otokx(m): 11:19am On Jan 19, 2010
Nothing will come out of this.
Re: Senators Plot To Impeach Yar'adua by OmoAlex: 11:38am On Jan 19, 2010
We are at dire straits now in Nigeria, If we say we dont want civil war or military intervention then our only hope is this toothless unreliable senate * House of Reps.

They are going to have to make a decision on this sooner or later. They will rather wait till the last minute, that we cannot afford.

We therefore need more ingenious ways of forcing them to take the decision sooner. If the SNG protests don't work, we need to start targetting their concubines, sugar daddies and mommies with local african manipulative technology,

furthermore, they need to start having nightmares every single night that they cant "get it up" anymore and then we lock up their manhood with "agadagodo" making sure it doesnt work as long as the case is unresolved.

These are my humble sudgestions
Re: Senators Plot To Impeach Yar'adua by naijaswag1: 11:56am On Jan 19, 2010
KnowAll:

We have less than 14 months to the next swearing- in. Goodluck should just be playing the role he has being playing since his boss flew to Saudi Arabia. It is obvious his boss is not prepared to promote him to the next level, he (Goodluck ) has nothing to lose, he should continue in his acting capacity until 2011 when we would have our next election.

Even if the Presidency where given to him today what is he going to do in less than 14 months that will benefit the Nigerian people. I am not sure he would add any semblance of relevancy to the lives of the poor folks, the un-employed and the down and trodden . The status quo should remain the same unless Mr Goodluck is prepared to perform some miracle within the next 14 months, and if that is the case he had better start telling Nigerians what difference his Presidency would bring that Yardua is not currently doing. Why should the country give him the most important and sensitive Job in a platter of Gold without knowing what his plans for the nation is ?
undecided
Has Gluck assumed acting role? No,they have prevented him from doing that.We depend on delayed orders from Saudi Arabia.
Re: Senators Plot To Impeach Yar'adua by otukpo(f): 11:56am On Jan 19, 2010
i just dey balanced where i dey to watch as things unfold.
Who says Jonathan is foolish?
Re: Senators Plot To Impeach Yar'adua by jimmysho(m): 12:13pm On Jan 19, 2010
there is nothing in there plot. i can only salute their 'courage' when they perform the actual expectation of Nigeria citizen
Re: Senators Plot To Impeach Yar'adua by madamL(f): 12:24pm On Jan 19, 2010
Madam L is plotting a trip to Mars. Nonsense, they are not plotting anything. They just need to make some noise and attract some GMGs.
Re: Senators Plot To Impeach Yar'adua by jimmysho(m): 12:28pm On Jan 19, 2010
gng is the cause of their 'action' ;d
Re: Senators Plot To Impeach Yar'adua by Nobody: 12:30pm On Jan 19, 2010
Spineless as.holes
Re: Senators Plot To Impeach Yar'adua by sexybash(f): 12:40pm On Jan 19, 2010
Impeach d fool shocked
Impeach d sickler
Impeach d m)tH)R F***k**r
Re: Senators Plot To Impeach Yar'adua by slap1(m): 12:58pm On Jan 19, 2010
if it took them this long to start plotting when are they going to finish and start implementing? spineless spoilt men and women.
Re: Senators Plot To Impeach Yar'adua by slap1(m): 12:59pm On Jan 19, 2010
if it took them this long to start plotting when are they going to finish and start implementing? spineless spoilt men and women.
Re: Senators Plot To Impeach Yar'adua by slap1(m): 1:14pm On Jan 19, 2010
Re: Senators Plot To Impeach Yar'adua by splashbaby(m): 1:19pm On Jan 19, 2010
Something is fundamentally wrong with us as a Nation, Imagine what that chalatan called Wagbara is saying , we should find out why that mugu called Yar Dua left the country without a letter, I said this earlier on these people dont take us serious, if we have been "Mutallabing" all the functions this so called leaders attend they we take us more serious. Imagine a president leaving a critical task of governance unattended to for more than 50 days and one stupid former senate president preaching for patience, You know what our leaders do most often, they ask us to pray and fast for situation that we can change while they busy themselves spending our money abroad like mad cow, Enough. Let us start "mutallabing" all these bastards called leaders, google how to do a "Mutallab undies" refine it like I am trying to and be wiser than mutallab on deliverying don't kill yourself and dont be caught, we must all resolve to self help, We are at the stage now, Forget religion and ethnicity
Re: Senators Plot To Impeach Yar'adua by SwtzMinx(f): 1:31pm On Jan 19, 2010
.as I have said b4, ilL say it again: this is da bEGinNing of the eND for nIgeria. .*teardrop*
Re: Senators Plot To Impeach Yar'adua by ayo84(m): 1:40pm On Jan 19, 2010
Tis about time , some senators showed some courage

1 Like

Re: Senators Plot To Impeach Yar'adua by safeact(m): 1:48pm On Jan 19, 2010
Barking dogs dont bite! They r deceiving themselves and not me.
Re: Senators Plot To Impeach Yar'adua by adaphik(f): 1:53pm On Jan 19, 2010
These leaders r ridiculous ppl.
Re: Senators Plot To Impeach Yar'adua by blapo(m): 2:38pm On Jan 19, 2010
how long will it take them to plot? if they are ready to do just that, they should go ahead and spare us the s**t.
Re: Senators Plot To Impeach Yar'adua by koolchicco: 3:23pm On Jan 19, 2010
Na 2day?

Ghana-must-go-bags will soon exchange hands!
Re: Senators Plot To Impeach Yar'adua by princekevo(m): 4:10pm On Jan 19, 2010
“They should leave us to continue with the protest and we will surely get there. I want to re-emphasis that the problem we have will be resolved but they should allow us to resolve it through the carrying of placards and not through guns,.

Actually the sound of Guns is what Nigerian politicians respect and not playcards.
Re: Senators Plot To Impeach Yar'adua by heilige(m): 4:26pm On Jan 19, 2010
Time is long over due for the senators to take the bull by the horn. Nigerians are just a bunch of cowards. They allow the presidency to be a one man business, irrespective of the fact that 9ja is very very vast. I see a break up very soon, sooner than predicted.
Re: Senators Plot To Impeach Yar'adua by PurestBoy(m): 4:47pm On Jan 19, 2010
They all can go to hell
Re: Senators Plot To Impeach Yar'adua by gentlegg(m): 5:32pm On Jan 19, 2010
Fools fooling themselves.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Breaking News Tambuwal, Belgore Blame Foreign Powers For Nigeria's WOES / Lagos Trailer Driver Jailed For Driving Against Traffic / My Egyptian Wife Just Had A Baby And She Is In School. - Sen Ahmed Yerima.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.