Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,070 members, 7,811,003 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 08:30 PM

11 Popular English Words We Use Incorrectly - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / 11 Popular English Words We Use Incorrectly (42411 Views)

20 Rarely Used English Words That We Need To Know / 9 English Words You Might Be Pronouncing Incorrectly / 8 Words We Pronounce Wrongly Everyday – Everyone Is Guilty Of No 5 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 11 Popular English Words We Use Incorrectly by lordpreceey: 2:53pm On Jun 05, 2017
nice one....really good
Re: 11 Popular English Words We Use Incorrectly by boomssey(f): 3:21pm On Jun 05, 2017
Papzey:
Do you know that there are some words we use incorrectly and we don’t even know about it until today? Some of these words, you have used it incorrectly all your life that if you read about it now on this post, you would become embarrassed. These particular words actually mean the opposite of what we thought they mean to us, but they sound like they are not.

Let’s look through these eleven words many of us might have been using incorrectly all our life and we have to get it right once and for all:

1. Bogus (adjective): This word does not mean “big or massive” or anything relating to size. It actually means “not genuine or true”, “illegal”, “counterfeit”, etc.

Examples:
i. Tammy delivered some bogus documents to back up his claim, but he ended up not been able to defend himself.
ii. I didn’t pay him because that estimate was quite bogus.

2. Dupe (verb or noun): The way we use the noun form of this word is the problem. A person who dupes people is not someone who deceives or cheats people. A dupe is the real victim of deception. Do you understand?

Examples:
i. He was acting smart until he became the dupe.
ii. When I realized I was a dupe, I wept uncontrollably.

3. Terrific (adjective): This word is not the synonym for the words “terrible” or “terrifying”, but it means “great”, “very good”, “tremendous”, etc. It formerly meant “to cause terror” in the old days.

Examples:
i. I had a terrific feeling at the audition.
ii. He had a terrific performance at the dance competition.

4. Double date (noun)/double-date (verb): Many people believe this compound word simply means “infidelity” or “to have more than one love/date partner”. The actual meaning of this word is “a situation where two couples (say your friend and his/her love partner together with you and your love partner) go out on a date” or “to take part in such a date”.

Examples:
i. Tammy and Kenny are coming over to the bar, so it’s a double-date.
ii. We have been friends with them for many years: we’ve even been double-dating since college.

5. Restive (adjective): If you think this word has anything to do with “resting”, then you’re wrong. It actually means the opposite of that. When one is restive, then he or she is “unable to stay calm or still” or “unwilling to be controlled”.

Examples:
i. She was so hurt that she remained restive throughout the party.
ii. Let’s calm the restive ones before the issue escalates beyond control.

6. Talkative (adjective): I have also been using this word incorrectly. The word “talkative” isn’t a noun, so it is wrong to say Ibrahim is a talkative. It is an adjective which means “fond of talking a lot”.

Examples:
i. Curry is not very talkative.
ii. She was so in a talkative mood the last time we met.

7. Impeach (verb): This word is one of the most used words in our political climate and in public service. In the US, to impeach someone means “to charge a public office holder to court for a serious crime”, such as fraud; while in British English, it means “to charge someone to court for treason or another heavy crime against the state”. However, it doesn’t necessarily mean the persons charged had been removed from office. This word can also mean to “to question the validity of a practice”.

Examples:
i. He was impeached for dereliction of duty.
ii. The head of the department was impeached for not supporting the fight against corruption.
iii. I think Nigerians should impeach the immunity clause for serving governors in Nigeria.

8. Blood money (noun): The money received from rituals after murdering someone? No! This term means “money paid to assassins to kill someone”, “money paid to the family of a murdered person”, or “money paid to someone who provided information about a killer”.

Examples:
i. Barack was a popular local informant who got rich through blood money.
ii. Courtney received the blood money from the government.

9. Lousy (adjective): This word is often thought to mean “loud” or “noisy”, but it means “very bad”, “very poor’, “unpleasant”, etc.

Examples:
i. We had a lousy weekend.
ii. Mr. Trump is such a lousy person.

10. Borrow (verb): This word should not have been included in this list, but its meaning remains unclear to some people. Borrow means “to take or receive something from someone and it is expected to be returned”. Borrow is to take, that is it has to come from someone or somewhere else.

Examples:
i. Can I borrow some money from you?
ii. She borrowed my jacket but won’t return it – isn’t that unfair?

11. Lend: We all mix up this word with “borrow”. Lend means to “give out something to someone, which is expected to be to be returned”. The words ‘borrow’ and ‘lend’ are reciprocal pairs similar to give/take, teach/learn, open/close, etc. that shows both sides of a situation.

Examples:
I. I can’t lend you any more money.
II. She begged me to lend him that jacket after he borrowed my bag.

Never forget, borrow ‘comes in’, and lend ‘goes out’. You lend someone something by giving it to them; they borrow it by taking it.

In conclusion, these are some popular eleven words we use incorrectly in our everyday conversation, but I hope they are all clear now. We should learn to get rid of common mistakes in our day-to-day use of the English Language.

What do you think and which one do you use often?

Source: http://www.rapportnaija.com/2016/10/11-popular-words-we-use-incorrectly.html
am still confused with d borrow and lend.
Re: 11 Popular English Words We Use Incorrectly by Nakuza(m): 5:37pm On Jun 05, 2017
kudos Op and thanks for sharing.
Re: 11 Popular English Words We Use Incorrectly by Papzey(f): 6:33pm On Jun 05, 2017
boomssey:
am still confused with d borrow and lend.
your borrow 'in' and lend 'out'. Please borrow me your note. No, I can't lend you my note...
Re: 11 Popular English Words We Use Incorrectly by Dmec(m): 7:21pm On Jun 05, 2017
Papzey:
7. Impeach (verb): This word is one of the most used words in our political climate and in public service. In the US, to impeach someone means “to charge a public office holder to court for a serious crime”, such as fraud; while in British English, it means “to charge someone to court for treason or another heavy crime against the state”. However, it doesn’t necessarily mean the persons charged had been removed from office. This word can also mean to “to question the validity of a practice”.

Examples:
ii. The head of the department was impeached for not supporting the fight against corruption.
iii. I think Nigerians should impeach the immunity clause for serving governors in Nigeria.

Impeachment is the process by which a legislative body formally levels charges against a high official of government, and is thus only the first step towards removal. Once an individual is impeached, he or she must then face the possibility of conviction via legislative vote, which then entails the removal of the individual from office.
Re: 11 Popular English Words We Use Incorrectly by oodua1stson: 8:37pm On Jun 05, 2017
It would be a crying shame if you went through university and you still don't knw all these
Re: 11 Popular English Words We Use Incorrectly by gGGODDd(m): 5:48am On Jun 06, 2017
Papzey:
Do you know that there are some words we use incorrectly and we don’t even know about it until today? Some of these words, you have used it incorrectly all your life that if you read about it now on this post, you would become embarrassed. These particular words actually mean the opposite of what we thought they mean to us, but they sound like they are not.

Let’s look through these eleven words many of us might have been using incorrectly all our life and we have to get it right once and for all:

1. Bogus (adjective): This word does not mean “big or massive” or anything relating to size. It actually means “not genuine or true”, “illegal”, “counterfeit”, etc.

Examples:
i. Tammy delivered some bogus documents to back up his claim, but he ended up not been able to defend himself.
ii. I didn’t pay him because that estimate was quite bogus.

2. Dupe (verb or noun): The way we use the noun form of this word is the problem. A person who dupes people is not someone who deceives or cheats people. A dupe is the real victim of deception. Do you understand?

Examples:
i. He was acting smart until he became the dupe.
ii. When I realized I was a dupe, I wept uncontrollably.

3. Terrific (adjective): This word is not the synonym for the words “terrible” or “terrifying”, but it means “great”, “very good”, “tremendous”, etc. It formerly meant “to cause terror” in the old days.

Examples:
i. I had a terrific feeling at the audition.
ii. He had a terrific performance at the dance competition.

4. Double date (noun)/double-date (verb): Many people believe this compound word simply means “infidelity” or “to have more than one love/date partner”. The actual meaning of this word is “a situation where two couples (say your friend and his/her love partner together with you and your love partner) go out on a date” or “to take part in such a date”.

Examples:
i. Tammy and Kenny are coming over to the bar, so it’s a double-date.
ii. We have been friends with them for many years: we’ve even been double-dating since college.

5. Restive (adjective): If you think this word has anything to do with “resting”, then you’re wrong. It actually means the opposite of that. When one is restive, then he or she is “unable to stay calm or still” or “unwilling to be controlled”.

Examples:
i. She was so hurt that she remained restive throughout the party.
ii. Let’s calm the restive ones before the issue escalates beyond control.

6. Talkative (adjective): I have also been using this word incorrectly. The word “talkative” isn’t a noun, so it is wrong to say Ibrahim is a talkative. It is an adjective which means “fond of talking a lot”.

Examples:
i. Curry is not very talkative.
ii. She was so in a talkative mood the last time we met.

Examples:

8. Blood money (noun): The money received from rituals after murdering someone? No! This term means “money paid to assassins to kill someone”, “money paid to the family of a murdered person”, or “money paid to someone who provided information about a killer”.

Examples:
i. Barack was a popular local informant who got rich through blood money.
ii. Courtney received the blood money from the government.

9. Lousy (adjective): This word is often thought to mean “loud” or “noisy”, but it means “very bad”, “very poor’, “unpleasant”, etc.

Examples:
i. We had a lousy weekend.
ii. Mr. Trump is such a lousy person.

10. Borrow (verb): This word should not have been included in this list, but its meaning remains unclear to some people. Borrow means “to take or receive something from someone and it is expected to be returned”. Borrow is to take, that is it has to come from someone or somewhere else.

Examples:
i. Can I borrow some money from you?
ii. She borrowed my jacket but won’t return it – isn’t that unfair?

11. Lend: We all mix up this word with “borrow”. Lend means to “give out something to someone, which is expected to be to be returned”. The words ‘borrow’ and ‘lend’ are reciprocal pairs similar to give/take, teach/learn, open/close, etc. that shows both sides of a situation.

Examples:
I. I can’t lend you any more money.
II. She begged me to lend him that jacket after he borrowed my bag.

Never forget, borrow ‘comes in’, and lend ‘goes out’. You lend someone something by giving it to them; they borrow it by taking it.

In conclusion, these are some popular eleven words we use incorrectly in our everyday conversation, but I hope they are all clear now. We should learn to get rid of common mistakes in our day-to-day use of the English Language.

What do you think and which one do you use often?

Source: http://www.rapportnaija.com/2016/10/11-popular-words-we-use-incorrectly.html
Its really educative. since Dupe means d victim of deception then he that dupes is called what??@ number 2
Re: 11 Popular English Words We Use Incorrectly by boomssey(f): 2:52pm On Jun 07, 2017
Papzey:
your borrow 'in' and lend 'out'. Please borrow me your note. No, I can't lend you my note...

ok! Now i understand.thanks

1 Like

Re: 11 Popular English Words We Use Incorrectly by lilliesboy(m): 12:53pm On Oct 13, 2017
Feranchek:
Finally, OP, when dem gba you for Alaba or Computer village, you sef no go remember the TRUE meaning of the word 'dupe'
She neva know wetin dey.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Students Who Don’t Wish To Suffer After Graduation Should Do These / Redeployment Letter From Corper With "Spiritual Attack" - 'Aljanu'(photo) / Sexually Transmitted Degrees : 7 Things You Should Know

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.