Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,340 members, 7,819,200 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 12:37 PM

Corruption Report On Rivers State By Human Rights Watch - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Corruption Report On Rivers State By Human Rights Watch (1091 Views)

Fayose's Tweet On Rivers Rerun Election / INEC Faults Tribunal’s Judgment On Rivers Guber Election, files Appeal / Azazi, Yakowa Killed By Human Error – Navy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Corruption Report On Rivers State By Human Rights Watch by goggoji(m): 5:25pm On Jan 31, 2007
Hi Folks,

I have been an ardent supporter of the notion of neglect of the Niger Delta by the Country till I saw this report which tore my heart cry
http://hrw.org/reports/2007/nigeria0107/nigeria0107web.pdf
Now the focus should be on the quality of leadership provided by the local leaders cry cry cry cry
Re: Corruption Report On Rivers State By Human Rights Watch by adconline(m): 6:19am On Feb 01, 2007
This was a headline news on Yahoo  homepage. Its a shame on Nigeria. Imagine $1.3 Billion that is judiciously spent on Rivers State. I think there needs to be a system which measures  expenditure with delivery of public services. I wonder why a thread like this does not generate alot of buzz.
Re: Corruption Report On Rivers State By Human Rights Watch by lewa(m): 3:44am On Feb 02, 2007
Chop Fine-is very apt as title of the report tongue. Nuhu over to you!
Re: Corruption Report On Rivers State By Human Rights Watch by mazaje(m): 1:08pm On Feb 02, 2007
where is the efcc and the war against corruption? we are watching
Re: Corruption Report On Rivers State By Human Rights Watch by goggoji(m): 11:53am On Feb 08, 2007
adconline you made an interesting observation. why is it that issues on corruption fail to get more than a passing attention from Nigerians, I think our senses are numbed and we are almost accepting it (curruption) to be normal. It's a very dangerous frame of mind to adobt. I have been watching this thread and am appalled that of the 74,159 members here only this few cared to contribute. It's a frightening thing.
Re: Corruption Report On Rivers State By Human Rights Watch by lewa(m): 6:12pm On Feb 08, 2007
The FG has not said anything concerning the scorecard on Odili's mismanagement of resources!EFCC too!Surprising ain't it?
Re: Corruption Report On Rivers State By Human Rights Watch by 50kobo: 8:42pm On Feb 08, 2007
@ goggoji , I agree, the fact that we are almost numb to corruption is an alarming indication of the extent to which this cankerworm has eaten into the flesh of our country.

In this fight against corruption the EFCC or relevant body, needs to take their fight to the local government leaders as well. The money they have been given to maintain and develop infrastructure in the country has been diverted to their personal pockets. We too greedy, every man for himself, countries have been able to turn around their economic misfortunes in less than 3 decades, we can do it, but that is only if we (me and you) stop being greedy!. All those running for a position in 2007, why are they doing it? Whose needs are they going to address when they get into office?

Where are the honest Nigerians? Why are we leaving these positions to the hand of "uneducated" greedy souls?

Has anyone had a look at the Nigerian budget? I have been following it since 2004 and each year I review what has been allocated to different states and ministries. http://www.budgetoffice.gov.ng/pub/2007budget.pdf

What have they done with the money? each time money is allocated for one road works or the other, yet the road remains in the state it was 8 years ago, even a little child can figure out what is going on. So why aren’t we seeking for more accountability and transparency at all levels (local, state and federal). We should have budget review every end of year, everyman should come and account for what he has done with the money! If they don’t account for it here on earth, perhaps when we get to the other side there shall be a very very long queue for "NIGERIAN POLITICIANS ONLY" to account for all the missing funds!.

(1) (Reply)

Fasawe: Obasanjo Paid N700m Into Mofas Acct / Joint Military Patrol / EFCC: Sam Egwu In Fresh Trouble

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.