Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,831 members, 7,810,198 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:10 PM

Abacha $2m Was Used For 'nationalistic Purposes' - Rawlings - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Abacha $2m Was Used For 'nationalistic Purposes' - Rawlings (573 Views)

Shehu Sani's Senatorial Ticket Was 'Sold For $2m' To Oshiomhole - SaharaReporter / FFK Slams Jerry Rawlings Over Comment on Buhari (Photos) / Zara Buhari Promotes A Nationalistic Cause (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Abacha $2m Was Used For 'nationalistic Purposes' - Rawlings by Nkemakonam62: 11:16am On Jun 05, 2017
Former President Jerry John Rawlings says he used the $2 million gift from former Nigerian President General Sani Abacha for the benefit of all Ghanaians.

He said it was not channelled into consumption as some have claimed but rather into bolstering sectors of the economy that were weak.
In 1998 when the money came in, “I used it for nationalistic purposes [and] my comrades in those days knew about it,” he noted.

The former President made this remark when he addressed a gathering at the 38th Anniversary of the June 4, 1979, uprising held in the Upper West Regional town of Wa Sunday.

Former Nigerian President General Sani Abacha
The $2 million gift from General Abacha nearly cost Mr Rawlings his presidency when then opposition New Patriotic Party (NPP) had wanted to impeach. The NPP failed because it did not find enough evidence to carry through with its intention.
It was speculated that the former President received $5 million from one Gwarzo who delivered the money to him but he dismissed it.
In an interview with Nigeria’s Guardian Newspaper in 2016, Mr Rawlings said he took only $2 million from the General's personal assistant.
“When General Abubakar took over, I told him to watch out that the report in the papers about $5million was $2million and not $5million,” he asserted.
When the issue came up for discussion in 2016 following a petition by the leader of GCPP, Dr Henry Lartey for CHRAJ to carry out another investigation, Mr Rawlings blamed some people in the NDC for that.
Having founded the NDC, the former President believes some people in the then government had wanted to disgrace him by reviving the issue.
“About three days before his [Mr Lartey] drama, I got information that he was going to be financially rewarded for what he did and incidentally he was instigated not by people in the opposition,” he said in October 2016.
The 2017 June 4 anniversary provided Mr Rawlings with another opportunity to repeat his 2016 claim about the involvement of some senior NDC members in the CHRAJ petition.
more at http://www.akelicious.com/2017/06/abacha-2m-was-used-for-nationalistic.html

Re: Abacha $2m Was Used For 'nationalistic Purposes' - Rawlings by Angeleena(m): 11:17am On Jun 05, 2017
hmmm,father of all thieves... grand patron... this man's portion, in hell gets hotter each secs....I dunno wat to type,of those ungrateful Ghanaians.
Re: Abacha $2m Was Used For 'nationalistic Purposes' - Rawlings by hodusglobal(m): 11:19am On Jun 05, 2017
You see, Nigeria the prodigal son cry
Re: Abacha $2m Was Used For 'nationalistic Purposes' - Rawlings by chinoxstock: 11:20am On Jun 05, 2017
2million dollars gift....Wow.

To quote osibanjo..."I'm short of words".
Re: Abacha $2m Was Used For 'nationalistic Purposes' - Rawlings by Nobody: 11:23am On Jun 05, 2017
Imagine how many schools 2million dollars would have builtt in Bornu State and prevented the rise of BH.

The Northern leaders really destroyed this country
Re: Abacha $2m Was Used For 'nationalistic Purposes' - Rawlings by Victornezzar: 11:26am On Jun 05, 2017
nawa oo
so it's true am still sharing d same country with dullards
Biafra must come 2 pass oo
weda we like it or not
anything from d north is always bad luck
Shehu Shagari is d best northern leader av seen
if dey born any bmc well quote me
Re: Abacha $2m Was Used For 'nationalistic Purposes' - Rawlings by ephi321(f): 11:30am On Jun 05, 2017
Former President Jerry John Rawlings says he used the $2 million gift from former Nigerian President General Sani Abacha for the benefit of all Ghanaians.

Imagine. While a state like zamfara could not afford vaccines for meningitis?

I am amazed at these Northern leaders, very "amazing" group of people.

Edit: As for that one saying it was in 1998, ever heard of laying a good foundation? Olodo.
Re: Abacha $2m Was Used For 'nationalistic Purposes' - Rawlings by chinoxstock: 11:32am On Jun 05, 2017
.....and a certain old fool said Abacha was not corrupt.

1 Like

Re: Abacha $2m Was Used For 'nationalistic Purposes' - Rawlings by Lescalier: 11:32am On Jun 05, 2017
Angeleena:
hmmm,father of all thieves... grand patron... this man's portion, in hell gets hotter each secs....I dunno wat to type,of those ungrateful Ghanaians.

Abacha isn't dead. Just know that now.

Faking his death was the only way he could get off the hook tha he put himself in.

The guy has been transformed by facial and plastic surgery and is chilling in one island.

Why do you think his loot is still being recovered or why do you think his wife was so bold to say no matter how much is taken from them, they can never be as poor as the great Dangote.

Do you know that there were several men then, maybe even women who were transformed into Abacha look alike?
Re: Abacha $2m Was Used For 'nationalistic Purposes' - Rawlings by gberra: 1:24pm On Jun 05, 2017
Kathmandu:
Imagine how many schools 2million dollars would have builtt in Bornu State and prevented the rise of BH.

The Northern leaders really destroyed this country
You sneaked out of Rehab?? undecided. I need to inform your Doc about this.

- L shocked shocked k at you
Re: Abacha $2m Was Used For 'nationalistic Purposes' - Rawlings by gberra: 1:29pm On Jun 05, 2017
ephi321:

Imagine. While a state like zamfara could not afford vaccines for meningitis?

I am amazed at these Northern leaders, very "amazing" group of people.
This was in '98 and not 2017. I told you to stop overheating the Central unit.
Re: Abacha $2m Was Used For 'nationalistic Purposes' - Rawlings by gberra: 1:35pm On Jun 05, 2017
Lescalier:

[s]Abacha isn't dead. Just know that now.

Faking his death was the only way he could get off the hook tha he put himself in.

The guy has been transformed by facial and plastic surgery and is chilling in one island.

Why do you think his loot is still being recovered or why do you think his wife was so bold to say no matter how much is taken from them, they can never be as poor as the great Dangote.

Do you know that there were several men then, maybe even women who were transformed into Abacha look alike[/s]?
I only struck out an idiotic post.
Re: Abacha $2m Was Used For 'nationalistic Purposes' - Rawlings by ejanla077: 4:07pm On Jun 05, 2017
gberra:
This was in '98 and not 2017. I told you to stop overheating the Central unit.

my yoruba muslim brother

(1) (Reply)

How Chief Justice Of Nigeria Interfered In Justice Ofili-ajumogobia’s Trial / Militants Give Northerners Ultimatum To Leave Niger Delta / How Much Do Nigerian Governors, President And Vice Earn Monthly?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.