Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,034 members, 7,956,830 topics. Date: Monday, 23 September 2024 at 08:13 PM

Can I Give Puppy Food To Kittens And How Can I Store It? - Pets - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Pets / Can I Give Puppy Food To Kittens And How Can I Store It? (1334 Views)

Buy Your Arion Puppy Food @ 15k Only / Two Cages,4kg Bingo Puppy Food,and Pet Multivitamin All At Gv Away Prices / Kittens For Sale:2k Each (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Can I Give Puppy Food To Kittens And How Can I Store It? by fratermathy(m): 4:59pm On Jun 05, 2017
Hello pet lovers!

I want to confirm if I can use Puppy Food (Pedigree) to supplement Kitten food? (2 months kitten). I can't seem to find kitten food anywhere in the city that I reside in. I can only find puppy food here so I want to know if I can get it for my kitten. Hope it will be okay?

And again, how do I store it? Can I cover the canned food and just leave it? Do I have to warm it every time or put in a fridge? What if I don't have access to a fridge? How long does it last?

Thank you as I anticipate answers.

1 Like

Re: Can I Give Puppy Food To Kittens And How Can I Store It? by fratermathy(m): 5:01pm On Jun 05, 2017
CassieV
Blasiangurl85
Doeying
Smartcet
Lalasticlala
Panzerfaust
Qaiser5
HardMirror
GogetterMD
Immorttal
cedar3
JohnieWalker12
sleeknick
YulaFarms
Lemmings
Kennylawal
Prodeegee
Xerxesng
Delioncourt
Biafranbushboy
Maballack
Rookidmart
Jerrykho
Kllinxman
Joe171
Mckandre
Re: Can I Give Puppy Food To Kittens And How Can I Store It? by Nobody: 4:16am On Jun 06, 2017
fratermathy:
Hello pet lovers!

I want to confirm if I can use Puppy Food (Pedigree) to supplement Kitten food? (2 months kitten). I can't seem to find kitten food anywhere in the city that I reside in. I can only find puppy food here so I want to know if I can get it for my kitten. Hope it will be okay?

And again, how do I store it? Can I cover the canned food and just leave it? Do I have to warm it every time or put in a fridge? What if I don't have access to a fridge? How long does it last?

Thank you as I anticipate answers.

No, you shouldn't give Dog food to a cat, definitely, definitely not a kitten.
Dog food is made specifically for dogs and so the nutrients(in the case that it's actually a good brand) is made to suit the requirements of dogs, cat food is made with cats nutritional requirement in mind. The vitamin requirements, [b] TAURINE [/b]requirements of cats and dogs are different..
To go even "deeper" that's why the type of food, the amount, etc comes down to the requirements of the specific animal/pet( indoor, weight management, health specific, etc.)

This is not saying that cats will immediately die if they eat dog food or vice versa (if you know of any house with cats and dogs, it's very common that the dog or cat "steals" from the other's plate/bowl). It's just a matter of nutrients... And consistently feeding the wrong food can harm (among others) the heart and digestive system of the kitty.

About being unable to find it in your city, (it depends I guess but) maybe you should look for Vets instead of just usual supermarkets, or maybe find out from who you got/bought the kitty where they usually get their cat food.
If there's no luck, you might want to look into feeding ground meat(lamb, beef, etc.)... Poultry, etc.
Maybe tuna or salmon.
I'm not sure what's available to you... And what your kitten actually likes
These (especially red meat) can't be raw until the kitty's about 5-6 months old(so I've been told).

About storage, I don't know how long one can keep canned food without a fridge. I've never tried fridge- free storage of canned foods... It also depends hugely on the temperature of your environment/the room you keep the opened can... Of course, keeping things tidy/neat would also be helpful.

About food temperature, it depends... I know a lot of people just serve out of the tin/fridge.
I tend to warm up wet food for like 10seconds(depending on microwave power) if it's been in the fridge but I generally feed out of small(1 meal) tins/cans.. Those, I soak in boiled water for a minute or so, before I shake and open up the can.
Just like with most of what I've stated, it depends on the individual pet and owner, my kitty never ate Wet food cold and so I decided to try warming up...

Or if you like/have the time, you could always just cook for your kitty... A fridge might be needed if you don't want to be cooking daily.

Also check online stores/marketplaces, maybe you'd find something that'll get delivered to your city.

P.S. I'm not a vet or anything, this is all just based on my experience and knowledge I've accumulated over the years... But feel free to ask anything and I'll answer/help if possible.

3 Likes

Re: Can I Give Puppy Food To Kittens And How Can I Store It? by JohnieWalker12(m): 12:06pm On Jun 07, 2017
Hello OP.

I guess Wildwine has said it all..

It's not good giving a dog food to a cat.

Apart from tuna & fish, my have observed my kitten eat bean, little yam porridge, moi Moi, Okpa. Spaghetti e.t.c

Just get to know you kitten!

In what city do you reside if I may ask?

Re: Can I Give Puppy Food To Kittens And How Can I Store It? by Nobody: 4:58pm On Jun 07, 2017
JohnieWalker12:
Hello OP.

I guess Wildwine has said it all..

It's not good giving a dog food to a cat.

Apart from tuna & fish, my have observed my kitten eat bean, little yam porridge, moi Moi, Okpa. Spaghetti e.t.c

In what city do you reside if I may ask?
I love cats! Pls can u hook me up with a kitten?? Plsssss

2 Likes

Re: Can I Give Puppy Food To Kittens And How Can I Store It? by Greene66: 6:20pm On Jun 07, 2017
JohnieWalker12:

Really? Just really?

1 Like

Re: Can I Give Puppy Food To Kittens And How Can I Store It? by JohnieWalker12(m): 8:05pm On Jun 07, 2017
Nma27:
I love cats! Pls can u hook me up with a kitten?? Plsssss

Definitely ma. It's good to know that we still have some cat lover cheesy

Where is your location?
Re: Can I Give Puppy Food To Kittens And How Can I Store It? by JohnieWalker12(m): 8:07pm On Jun 07, 2017
Greene66:

Really? Just really?

Yes really, lol.... Are you surprised cos you are a dog person? cheesy
Re: Can I Give Puppy Food To Kittens And How Can I Store It? by Nobody: 8:10pm On Jun 07, 2017
JohnieWalker12:

Definitely ma. It's good to know that we still have some cat lover cheesy

Where is your location?
Abuja

1 Like

Re: Can I Give Puppy Food To Kittens And How Can I Store It? by Nobody: 8:11pm On Jun 07, 2017
Greene66:

Really? Just really?
Its possible.

1 Like

Re: Can I Give Puppy Food To Kittens And How Can I Store It? by blasiangurl85(f): 10:57pm On Jun 07, 2017
Having cats and dogs I've given my cats/kittens dog food(can food and dry food) and my dogs/puppies cat food(can and dry). It has never affected them in any way. There were days that I didn't have any cat food at home so I gave them dog food and vice versa. In my opinion it's all the same. I've had cats and dogs living together for a very long time eating each others food without any problems. So don't worry too much. Whatever is available is fine.

Just my opinion though smiley

1 Like

Re: Can I Give Puppy Food To Kittens And How Can I Store It? by JohnieWalker12(m): 7:56am On Jun 08, 2017
Nma27:
Abuja

Join cat lovers group in Nigeria with this URL

https:///6Lt49aziGt423PzYCN1qS4

You will see someone who has kitten for sale in your location.

Cheers
Re: Can I Give Puppy Food To Kittens And How Can I Store It? by Nobody: 8:02am On Jun 08, 2017
JohnieWalker12:

Join cat lovers group in Nigeria with this URL

https:///6Lt49aziGt423PzYCN1qS4

You will see someone who has kitten for sale in your location.

Cheers

Site not found. You can send d kitten via transport as I don't mind paying for d tfare

1 Like

Re: Can I Give Puppy Food To Kittens And How Can I Store It? by JohnieWalker12(m): 8:08am On Jun 08, 2017
blasiangurl85:
Having cats and dogs I've given my cats/kittens dog food(can food and dry food) and my dogs/puppies cat food(can and dry). It has never affected them in any way. There were days that I didn't have any cat food at home so I gave them dog food and vice versa. In my opinion it's all the same. I've had cats and dogs living together for a very long time eating each others food without any problems. So don't worry too much. Whatever is available is fine.

Your pets are really lovely. I guess we can never stop learning. Apart from Shadow what are the names of your other pets?

1 Like

Re: Can I Give Puppy Food To Kittens And How Can I Store It? by JohnieWalker12(m): 8:10am On Jun 08, 2017
Nma27:
Site not found. You can send d kitten via transport as I don't mind paying for d tfare

Go to What's app and add the URL... Sending it via transport may not be a good idea as the passengers may be shouting blood of Jesus all thru the journey grin

2 Likes

Re: Can I Give Puppy Food To Kittens And How Can I Store It? by Nobody: 8:19am On Jun 08, 2017
JohnieWalker12:

Go to What's app and add the URL... Sending it via transport may not be a good idea as the passengers may be shouting blood of Jesus all thru the journey grin
I'm lost o, can't seem to add the url
Re: Can I Give Puppy Food To Kittens And How Can I Store It? by JohnieWalker12(m): 2:17pm On Jun 08, 2017
Nma27:
I'm lost o, can't seem to add the url

Okay I just confirmed from the admin of the group.

You have to drop your number and you will be added.

The invitation is only to every cat lover ..
Re: Can I Give Puppy Food To Kittens And How Can I Store It? by Nobody: 7:04pm On Jun 08, 2017
JohnieWalker12:

Okay I just confirmed from the admin of the group.

You have to drop your number and you will be added.

The invitation is only to every cat lover ..
I've always been a cat lover

1 Like

Re: Can I Give Puppy Food To Kittens And How Can I Store It? by Nobody: 9:20pm On Jun 08, 2017
blasiangurl85:

I've also lived with Cats & Dogs together. And you're not wrong about the fact that they don't get affected short term... (I'm referring to your comment "There were days that I Didn't have any cat food..." But if I'm not mistaken, the OP is talking about feeding a cat dog food... Longterm. That definitely has negative effects...
Re: Can I Give Puppy Food To Kittens And How Can I Store It? by Nobody: 9:28pm On Jun 08, 2017
JohnieWalker12:

Oh wow... That's cool... Never tried Yams or beans or anything you listed except Spaghetti...
For me, i sometimes treat just a bit of mashed potatoes...
Also avocados, strawberries and yoghurts... (Both regular versions and lactose free versions).

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Help My Dod Has Refused To Heat ( Menstruate) / Ziggy- My Gsd Rott Pup / The World's Weirdest Animals

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.