Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,893 members, 7,828,157 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 03:40 AM

Un-african To Impeach Yaradua Over Health - Senator Victor Ndoma-egba - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Un-african To Impeach Yaradua Over Health - Senator Victor Ndoma-egba (661 Views)

Homosexuality Is NOT Un-African - The Evidence / Photo: Victor Ndoma-Egba And Buhari In A Handshake In 1984 And 2015 / UN, African Leaders Hail Nigeria MDG Efforts (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Un-african To Impeach Yaradua Over Health - Senator Victor Ndoma-egba by Sunshine87(f): 3:17pm On Jan 19, 2010

Victor Ndoma-Egba (Cross River State )

Why Senate Can’t Impeach Yar’Adua – Ndoma-Egba

• Hand Over To Jonathan Now, Tinubu Tells President

Regardless of national agitation, the Senate leadership is against the invocation of Section 143 of the Constitution, which could lead to the impeachment of President Umaru Yar’Adua.

Deputy Senate Leader, Victor Ndoma-Egba, argued on Monday that even the thought of getting rid of him based on poor health is immoral.
Yar’Adua travelled to Saudi Arabia on November 23 last year on health grounds without handing over to Vice President Goodluck Jonathan as demanded by Section 145 of the Constitution.

The Section says: “Whenever the President transmits to the President of the Senate and the Speaker of the House of Representatives a written declaration that he is proceeding on vacation or that he is otherwise unable to discharge the functions of his office, until he transmits to them a written declaration to the contrary, such functions shall be discharged by the Vice President as Acting President.”

Although a group of 60 Senators (G60) has reportedly signed up for impeachment, Ndoma-Egba insisted that the move is insensitive and against the spirit of the Constitution.
He said in Abuja that the Senate is constrained by the Constitution to take that sort of action against Yar’Adua under the present circumstances.

Asked why the Senate is keeping quiet while the nation grinds to a halt, he riposted: “We have no role to play in this matter constitutionally. We must wait for the executive to act before we respond.

“We cannot impose a role on ourselves just because the Nigerian people are agitating. We cannot afford to be unconstitutional.”
Ndoma-Egba said it is wrong for the people to subject Yar’Adua’s ill health to political arguments.
“I don’t know when it became an offence to be ill. Invoking Section 143 means you are criminalising ill-health. That is what it means.
“I think it is unAfrican for us to discuss the President’s health in a political manner. In fact, even talking about it offends my sensibilities.

http://www.independentngonline.com/DailyIndependent/Article.aspx?id=7139
Re: Un-african To Impeach Yaradua Over Health - Senator Victor Ndoma-egba by desgiezd(m): 3:27pm On Jan 19, 2010
Sunshine87:

In fact, even talking about it offends my sensibilities. [/b]

Mr. Senator, you dont need to say this much before we would know that your loyalty is intact.
Re: Un-african To Impeach Yaradua Over Health - Senator Victor Ndoma-egba by sjeezy8: 3:49pm On Jan 19, 2010
This guy is no different than ibori, ogbulafor or bankole.
Cross river state senator I see you
Re: Un-african To Impeach Yaradua Over Health - Senator Victor Ndoma-egba by bkbaybe99: 4:15pm On Jan 19, 2010
Lemme guess, from the sound of his name this dude is ibo?!?lol. I rest my case!
Re: Un-african To Impeach Yaradua Over Health - Senator Victor Ndoma-egba by asha80(m): 4:20pm On Jan 19, 2010
bk_baybe99:

You are confirmed i d i o t.If you do not have better things to say then keep quiet.
Re: Un-african To Impeach Yaradua Over Health - Senator Victor Ndoma-egba by desgiezd(m): 4:32pm On Jan 19, 2010
bk_baybe99:

What has this got to do with the issues on hand?
Re: Un-african To Impeach Yaradua Over Health - Senator Victor Ndoma-egba by ChinenyeN(m): 5:35pm On Jan 19, 2010
grin grin
Un-African? I'm not sure if the guy really knows what he's talking about, but that's just me.
Maybe what he says makes sense to some people.

(1) (Reply)

Steps On How To Rig Election In Nigeria / Factbox-key Risks To Watch In Nigeria / Bomb Explodes In Delta State, Venue Of Post Consolidation Conference

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.