Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,192 members, 7,818,634 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 08:21 PM

"Ribadu" The Best Thing To Have Happened To Our Nation For So Long. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / "Ribadu" The Best Thing To Have Happened To Our Nation For So Long. (1470 Views)

Save The Nation For Our Chilren. / Who Are The Right Representative. Across The Nation For The Nationl Conference / I Will Accept Almajeria Nation For Hausa; Land For Peace, Fura, Nunu And Kunu (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

"Ribadu" The Best Thing To Have Happened To Our Nation For So Long. by McKren(m): 2:45am On Feb 01, 2007
Ribadu blasts Adedibu, Akala ,  says they are unfit to be leaders
By Akin Oyedele
Published: Thursday, 1 Feb 2007
The Chairman of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, Malam Nuhu Ribadu, on Wednesday said that individuals like a Peoples Democratic Party chieftain, Chief Lamidi Adedibu, and the Oyo State Deputy Governor, Chief Bayo Alao-Akala, were “unfit” to be leaders.

Skip to next paragraph

Photo file
Alh. Lamidi Adedibu

Although he did not give reasons for his opinion, Ribadu said it was tragic that the likes of Adedibu and Alao-Akala had found themselves in leadership positions.

He spoke during the quarterly seminar/colloquium organised by the University of Ibadan chapter of the Academic Staff Union of Universities.

He delivered a paper titled, ”The EFCC and the challenges of democratic reforms in Nigeria,” at the seminar.

Amidst deafening ovation from the audience, Ribadu said, ”The only things people are talking about in the world and Nigeria about Ibadan today are the Adedibus and the Alao-Akalas.

“So, I ask why?, Why should such people be leading us in this country? Why can‘t we be angry? It‘s so tragic. Why should we allow people like Alao-Akala to lead us?.”

Ribadu said he had discovered that the state was a ”totally politically-compromised environment” and vowed that the EFCC would not to be used to set any agenda.

He said, ”We will not help Adedibu.We will not help Alao-Akala or anybody. We are working on the state and we will do our best. But you have to wait and see the outcome.”

The EFCC chief, who regretted that corruption had eaten deep into nearly all the fabrics of the Nigerian society, said it was sad that those in positions of authority had failed to provide the citizenry with infrastructural facilities.

Passing through the streets of Ibadan en route to the UI, Ribadu said he could not see any new road to justify the status of the city as a one-time pride of Africa.

Instead, Ribadu said he was confronted with second-hand wares on the road sides, including ”tokunbo refrigerators , irons, cars and everything.”

Adedibu and Alao-Akala are at the centre of the political crisis that led to the removal of Governor Rashidi Ladoja in 2006 by 18 members of the state House of Assembly.

Adedibu, who is believed to be the sponsor of the 18 lawmakers, is also enmeshed in the controversy over five registration machines found in his house.

A probe panel is currently probing the account of the state during the period that Alao-Akala held forte as governor.

On Monday, Ibadan elders met over the crises in the state and called for the intervention of President Olusegun Obasanjo.

The EFCC chairman blamed the seeming hopelessness in the land on corrupt leadership.

According to him, ”grand corruption” has denied Nigerians good governance , egalitarian society and the rule of law.

He warned that the country was descending into a point in which corruption could become a threat to the survival of its democracy.

Ribadu said, ”I have no doubt in my mind that this is a ticking time bomb situation and we have a monumental emergency with severe tragic proportions on our hands.”

The EFCC chairman also said that the past leadership of the nation’s universities was a reflection of the character of graduates now being churned out .

Pointing at a direction in the hall, he said, ”May we not end up having an Adedibu as the pro-chancellor of this university with the way we are going.”

Reaffirming the EFCC’s determination to bring corrupt leaders to justice, he said the elite were destroying the country and that nobody was condemning their acts.

For instance, Ribadu said the former military President, Gen. Ibrahim Babangida, allegedly destroyed everything in the country by institutionalising corruption.

The late Gen. Sani Abacha, according to him,did not only loot about $6bn from the public treasury, he killed and maimed people in order to remain in power.

Ribadu said, ”Some of the politicians we are prosecuting now had nothing when they came into power a few years ago. Now, go to South Africa, United States , London, Lagos, Kaduna and Abuja, they have choice properties there.

“You dare not talk about it. They say you are threatening democracy. God is watching them and I‘m sure very soon, they will reach a point where they will no longer deceive the people.

“Where is Abacha today; where is Mobutu Sese Seko? Young men with bright ideas like their counterparts in Europe and America are being frustrated. In fact I‘m angry. God will never spare those people.

“Can you imagine a governor buying four aircraft for his personal use. We are going after more governors. One of them even threatened to sue me for saying that he stole N50bn.”

He alleged that another governor converted half of the riot policemen deployed in his state to his personal use .

He said that the money that Nigerian leaders had stolen in the past 40 years could recreate the beauty and glory of Western Europe six times.

Ribadu said, ”The missing link in all these for me, however, is the lack of commensurate outrage. Where is the outrage among our compatriots who are so easily pricked to revolt in instances of ethnic and religious challenge?

Where is the revolt from the elite, the academics and the professionals who are engines of social growth in any community?

“If our elite have become so numbed to this serious threat against our collective community life, then we better throw our hands in the air and forget it.”

Ribadu, therefore, proposed a diffusion of knowledge to provide a muscular intellectual rationalisation for the people to understand that economic crimes and corruption represented the major human rights problem in the country.

He also canvassed that rule of law and education be firmly rooted in the country.

The EFCC boss also took swipe at a former Senate Leader, Dr. Olusola Saraki, who criticised the commission for investigating the roles of his children in the circumstances that led to the collapse of the Societe Generale Bank of Nigeria.

Ribadu said he had been inundated with questions on why he had not arrested the Deputy National Chairman (South) of the PDP, Chief Olabode George, over the Nigerian Port Authority‘s scam.

He said the administrative inquiry and the investigation by the EFCC on the NPA account revealed that there was a case of monumental fraud and outright stealing.

Ribadu regretted that since June 2006 when the report was submitted, the Federal Executive Council ”sat” on it and only gave the EFCC the directive to open a criminal investigation into the matter.

He said ”I ask, who is Bode George that we cannot bring to justice? We have investigated him. We invited him and took his statement. He is the Chairman of the NPA. I don‘t even know the man. Why are people talking about Bode George alone? Posterity will determine whether what we are doing is right or wrong. God will judge.”

On the April general election, he said the EFCC would ensure that only people with clean records would be allowed to vie for public offices.

Ribadu said, ”We have carefully followed the party primaries and the various fund raising arrangements being put in place. We truly feel appalled that the Nigerian political class has learnt nothing of the problems that brought the ship of our state to its current sorry state.

“ We will follow them to the Independent National Electoral Commission. Those who feel they can derail the process, we are going after them. We are doing it because nobody is doing it.”

He advised Nigerians to pray and hope for the emergence of leaders that would serve their interest.
Re: "Ribadu" The Best Thing To Have Happened To Our Nation For So Long. by McKren(m): 2:48am On Feb 01, 2007
More days I find a reason to love this guy more, There is hardly anyone presently more Nigerian than Nuhu Ribadu.
Re: "Ribadu" The Best Thing To Have Happened To Our Nation For So Long. by kbayo(m): 12:55pm On Feb 01, 2007
@McRen

I can't agree with you more.I started to acquire taste for his forthrightness the day he appeared on the floor of the national assembly,he spoke with such passion for his work that even the most hardened critic of this young man would need to have a rethink.I was not taken aback by his vituperation of the duo of devilish Adedibu and Akala.His work i'm sure would eventually be enamored by the progressives citizens of this great-but-turned-dwarf nation of ours.
Re: "Ribadu" The Best Thing To Have Happened To Our Nation For So Long. by McKren(m): 8:00pm On Feb 01, 2007
Ribadu said, ”The missing link in all these for me, however, is the lack of commensurate outrage. Where is the outrage among our compatriots who are so easily pricked to revolt in instances of ethnic and religious challenge?

“Where is the revolt from the elite, the academics and the professionals who are engines of social growth in any community?

That particular quote kills me. He is Fulani yet a respecter of no one whether Imam or Pastor. Nigerians need to carry over their passion for religion to defence of our rights as a people. That is the only way Government can take the people seriously.
There is hope anyway, another Leftist like him "Yaradua" is about to be President. Ignore those who say he is OBJ's puppet they have no idea what manner of Man Umaru Yaradua is.
Re: "Ribadu" The Best Thing To Have Happened To Our Nation For So Long. by CrudeOil2(m): 8:24pm On Feb 01, 2007
That houseboy is not the best thing to ever happen to Nigeria.I have not seen the best thing.I think the best thing to happen to Nigeria would be a leader who could see the sufferings of the masses and come to their Aid.
Re: "Ribadu" The Best Thing To Have Happened To Our Nation For So Long. by BigB11(m): 9:48pm On Feb 01, 2007
Yes, I used to think Ribadu was the answer, but now, I think he's part of the problem.

He operates narrowly, not broadly and this is creating major conflict in the country. He embraces division, which is also very dangerous in any society.
Pretty much, he has presented himself as the president's yes sir boy; "a dirty, greedy and heavily corrupt president, for that matter"

We need a real man who can get the job done the way it's supposed to be done.  I truly feel that Mr. EFCC makes too much noise with little accomplishment.

Where is Dariye? Where is Fayose? Why is Adedibu still walking around? and so on.

FACT: If EFCC could do their job the right way, OBJ and ATIKU will not be leading this nation today.

Hence, I do not respect EFCC.
Re: "Ribadu" The Best Thing To Have Happened To Our Nation For So Long. by LoverBwoy(m): 6:50am On Feb 02, 2007
Crude Oil:

That houseboy is not the best thing to ever happen to Nigeria.I have not seen the best thing.I think the best thing to happen to Nigeria would be a leader who could see the sufferings of the masses and come to their Aid.

like your governor wink
Re: "Ribadu" The Best Thing To Have Happened To Our Nation For So Long. by mankevo(m): 12:47pm On Feb 02, 2007
embarassed If I am to like him as most of you have indicated then, he has to make his report on these BABA'S annointed public; Olabode George,Chima Nnamani,Adedibu,Andy Uba,Odili Peters and infact all the governors that BABA made to surrender to Ya'dua or risk EFCC visit.
only then will I sing UHURU for him cool
Re: "Ribadu" The Best Thing To Have Happened To Our Nation For So Long. by McKren(m): 5:47pm On Feb 02, 2007
There was jubilation by supporters of Governor Rashidi Ladoja of Oyo State this morning at the Agodi government secretariat as news filtered in that the governor has been given the ticket to represent PDP at the 14 April governorship elections. The PDP ticket, P.M.News gathered this morning, was given to Ladoja by the PDP leadership in Abuja following the indictment of Otunba Adebayo Alao Akala, the deputy governor of the State of allegations of corrupt practices during his brief stint as the state governor, by the boss of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC), Malam Nuhu Ribadu. Akala had earlier won the PDP ticket while Ladoja was impeached from office.

Ribadu, had at a colloquium held at the University of Ibadan, declared that he cannot work with the duo of Otunba Alao Akala and PDP chieftain in the state, Alhaji Lamidi Adedibu, who had bastardised the laws of the land and rejected due process. P.M.News gathered that the decision of the PDP leadership to withdraw the ticket from Alao Akala followed the damning condemnation of both Adedibu and Akala by the EFCC boss. Meanwhile, the Oyo State Attorney General and Commissioner for Justice, Mr. Abdul-Raheem Shittu, has declared that the 18 legislators loyal to Alhaji Adedibu cannot impeach the governor because he has not committed any offence.

Reacting to the purported plan by the pro-Adedibu legislators to begin impeachment proceeding against Governor Ladoja, Mr. Shittu said: “They have embarked on unconstitutional path again. What they are trying to do is not in accordance with the laws of our land. “The person who presided over their illegal sitting, Hon. Oyewole Makinde, has no legal backing to do so. “The Supreme Court and the court of Appeal have ruled that the substantive governor of the state is Ladoja and the Speaker of the State House of Assembly is Hon. Adeolu Adeleke. The rulings are there, they’ve not been upturned. “So, what they are doing is illegal and should be treated as such.”
Re: "Ribadu" The Best Thing To Have Happened To Our Nation For So Long. by BigB11(m): 6:06pm On Feb 02, 2007
Bravo, my brother!

but this is beside the point.

My question is: why is Mr. Adedibu continues to walk freely around Ibadan?

If Adedibu had been arrested 10 days ago, we wouldn't be talking about any impeachment in Ibadan today.

EFCC needs to keep quiet and do their job. Action is louder than just word of wisdom.

They take immediate action on some people but give stories and word of wisdom on the others.
Re: "Ribadu" The Best Thing To Have Happened To Our Nation For So Long. by Mamajama(m): 6:19pm On Feb 02, 2007
Re: "Ribadu" The Best Thing To Have Happened To Our Nation For So Long. by IykeD1(m): 12:28am On Feb 03, 2007
It amazes me that Nigerians expect one man, Ribadu to be every where and to clean up the
entire mess call Nigeria.

Exam mal-practice - call Ribadu
Bank Fraud - call Ribadu
Internet Scam - call Ribadu
Political Corruption call Ribadu
Government Fraud - call Ribadu
INEC Machines Stolen - call Ribadu

Yet, some people still have the guts to question this man's courage and integrity in fighting what
took almost 50 years to entrench. Its very hard to believe in Nigeria as a viable country if people
like Ribadu do not get the standing ovation they deserve.

Nevertheless, here is vintage Ribadu again:

http://www.tribune.com.ng/03022007/int_view.html
Re: "Ribadu" The Best Thing To Have Happened To Our Nation For So Long. by BigB11(m): 3:10am On Feb 03, 2007
It amazes me how Nigerians in general are so quick to embrace half job well done.
Could you identify 10 solid projects successfully completed by this organization?
Why do people settle for less? and why do people easily dance to any music?
Please, give me a break!

EFCC's problems are simple:
1. Instead of a group concept, the organization is designed and operated under the umbrella of a[b] one man show[/b].
Quote by Iyke-D
Exam mal-practice - call Ribadu
Bank Fraud - call Ribadu
Internet Scam - call Ribadu
Political Corruption call Ribadu
Government Fraud - call Ribadu
INEC Machines Stolen - call Ribadu

2. Instead of a group protocol, the organization is heavily being controlled by a dirty, unprofessional and extremely sloppy boss (OBJ). As a result of this, it is clearly obvious to the entire world that this organization is lacking credibility and has no incompressible policy or procedure to guard them during their operation.

3. The organization doesn't understand the true meaning of democracy world. It doesn't matter, a criminal must still be treated with respect.
As a respectable and professional organization, it is imperative to always obey the civil rights of the citizens of Nigeria.
It is the law.
You can not walk around the country disobeying the law and at the same time claiming that you're after criminals who have no respect for the law. It doesn't make any sense.

These are some of the reasons why this organization continues to struggle and find it impossible to execute effectively and efficiently, even with a complete authority from the president.
And believe me, things could be done differently and much better; only if they could detach from politics and restructure their vision and mission into a group concept.

Furthermore, I truly do not see any big deal; I think any well focused, decent and educated Nigerian could hold the same position and do a great job easily, afterall, the organization is given full authority by the president to go after anybody; and also fully funded by the Federal Government of Nigeria. 

what else is there?

May God bless Ribadu and the rest, but please guys, stop the noise; it's not a big deal.
Re: "Ribadu" The Best Thing To Have Happened To Our Nation For So Long. by IykeD1(m): 4:47am On Feb 03, 2007
@Big B1,

Please spare us - we are talking about corruption here, day and night do not mix. You are on record for
wanting IBB to come back! Its mentally tasking to even try picturing what the EFCC will look like under
an IBB government.
Re: "Ribadu" The Best Thing To Have Happened To Our Nation For So Long. by otokx(m): 11:38am On Feb 03, 2007
Nuhu Ribadu should direct his energy from giving speeches to taking corrupt people to court. Words without action is meaningless and we are tired of hearing such talk.
Re: "Ribadu" The Best Thing To Have Happened To Our Nation For So Long. by McKren(m): 1:26pm On Feb 03, 2007
Iyke-D:

@Big B1,

Please spare us - we are talking about corruption here, day and night do not mix. You are on record for
wanting IBB to come back! Its mentally tasking to even try picturing what the EFCC will look like under
an IBB government.

Did not know someone is thinking what am thinking too.

"When you try to fight corruption, corruption tries to fight back quoting the law", (Ribadu, 2006)
Re: "Ribadu" The Best Thing To Have Happened To Our Nation For So Long. by IykeD1(m): 2:43pm On Feb 03, 2007
@otokx,

So you expect the chairman of the EFCC to keep mute, when all types of allegations and innuendo's are
being made against his organization? How can the EFCC tell its side of the story without speaking to the
media? In my opinion, they are not even forceful in communicating to the media enough!

In my opinion, the EFCC is doing a bang up job - the major stumbling block right now is the court system.
Much stride won't be made in fighting corruption until the court system is completely over-hauled, and also
until the people stop sympathizing with these looters.

Ok, I am sure the next usual question may be - what about Bode George? And as Ribadu very eloquently
put it in that interview, who the hell really is Bode George? Does he have two heads?
Re: "Ribadu" The Best Thing To Have Happened To Our Nation For So Long. by BigB11(m): 3:43pm On Feb 03, 2007
Mr. Ribadu is turning to Martin Luther King.

Stop the preaching and start executing effectively and efficiently.

@ Mckren and Iyke-D

Believe me folks, My love for this country is untouchable and I want nothing but the best for sweet Nigeria.
I Don't settle and I refuse to be easily moved by EFCC fake action to impress the president.

EFCC needs to come out clean and get their job done the right way.

Where is Dariye? where is Fayose? What is going on with Bode George, Adedibu, Uba and many many more? All these questions represent failure.

As we all know, EFCC plays a major part in Nigerian Federal Government day to day activities, hence we can not afford or allow constant mistakes, constant failure, constant partiality and constant inconsistency.

Ribadu has only one head and he's holding his position only to serve Nigeria.

So, please folks, don't get it twisted; just encourage the man to do his duties properly and obey the law.
Re: "Ribadu" The Best Thing To Have Happened To Our Nation For So Long. by McKren(m): 4:27pm On Feb 03, 2007
Where is Dariye? where is Fayose? What is going on with Bode George, Adedibu, Uba and many many more? All these questions represent failure.
I think your list should include IBB & Atiku, For your Info as much as OBJ does not fancy IBB to succeed him, he is also blocking EFCC prosecution of IBB. Otherwise tell me how the Okigbo report was used to bully IBB out of PDP primaries by December 16, by January the report is no longer available in the National archive and Ufot Ekaete could not produce it in court. One week latter IBB was appointed presidential envoy to Guenea.

Where is Tafa Balogun, Adolphus Wagbara, Sunday Afolabli, Alams, Fayose, Dariye etc you tell us what these questions represent.

When Fayose and Dariye where ousted people were talking about the illegality of their removal, you begin to wonder how legal thiefing the state fund is

Take it or leave it, if not for dedication and ingenuity of Ribadu we would have gotten no where in the fight against corruption. Afterall ICPC is as good as EFCC, what have they achieved??/  Even the police since the inception of this country have not achieved what the EFCC have achieved in the past four years. Do a benchmark and tell me what other organisation is more efficient or effective than EFCC.

The EFCC mission statement reads
the EFCC will curb the menace of corruption that constitutes the cog in the wheel of progress; protect national and foreign investments in the country; imbue the spirit of hard work in the citizenry and discourage ill gotten wealth; identify illegally acquired wealth and consficate it; build an upright workforce in both public and private sectors of the economy and ; contribute to the global war against financial crimes

Now tell me how the bit in bold can be achieved without the media. Without sensirizing Nigerians through every system available.

This guy is a blessing to this nation and needs encouragement.
Re: "Ribadu" The Best Thing To Have Happened To Our Nation For So Long. by BigB11(m): 4:53pm On Feb 03, 2007
Exactly "he needs encouragement", an encouragement to do his duties properly without any partiality.

The man is a fine Nigerian, no doubt about it; but there is absolutely nothing special in this inconsistency half job well done.
He has the backing of an heavily corrupt boss and the organization is fully funded by FGN.
Believe me, it's not a big deal at all.

Do you know what it means to be a presidential bull dog?

Dancing to this scratchy music is more or less settling for less; please let's focus more and embrace perfection and accuracy for a change in Nigeria.
Re: "Ribadu" The Best Thing To Have Happened To Our Nation For So Long. by BigB11(m): 5:18pm On Feb 03, 2007
Fact: If 3rd Term implementation by the president had been approved by majority, believe me, EFCC wouldn't have been this popular. They would have been blocked by the president from getting heavily involved in politics.
And 419 crimes would have still been their main purpose and number one objective.

Hence, I'm not impressed with their unorganized preconceptional accomplishment.
There is no doubt on my mind that this organization represents a well fed presidential bull dog.

You've got to be blind and daft not to see through their shady project.
Re: "Ribadu" The Best Thing To Have Happened To Our Nation For So Long. by McKren(m): 5:38pm On Feb 03, 2007
These are some of the propaganda Ribadu describes as "when you try to fight corruption, corruption tries to fight back".

Third term or no third term, If you have no questions of corruption to answer you don't need to be the President's friend to stay safe. e.g. The Senate President Ken Nnamani is not OBJ's freind yet I don't remember EFCC trying to bully him. In fact his refusal to shut the National Assembly proceeding from the media was the master stroke that killed third term.
So tell me why he is not in EFCC net?/

People should stop carrying baseless propaganda when they are caught. EFCC will not spare you because you did not support third term.
Re: "Ribadu" The Best Thing To Have Happened To Our Nation For So Long. by BigB11(m): 5:46pm On Feb 03, 2007
There is no need to waste any more time on this subject.

It is simple, EFCC gets my respect as soon as OBJ is heavily probed, the same way Atiku is currently being probed.
Re: "Ribadu" The Best Thing To Have Happened To Our Nation For So Long. by lewa(m): 8:42pm On Feb 03, 2007
Mr. Ribadu is turning to Martin Luther King.

Stop the preaching and start executing effectively and efficiently
Biggie you've exceeded yourself again!Why denigrate MLK's memory?
Re: "Ribadu" The Best Thing To Have Happened To Our Nation For So Long. by BigB11(m): 9:01pm On Feb 03, 2007
No disrespect to MLK; believe me, I know better.

I was just trying to emphasize my points.
Re: "Ribadu" The Best Thing To Have Happened To Our Nation For So Long. by lewa(m): 10:40pm On Feb 03, 2007
Hmm!
Re: "Ribadu" The Best Thing To Have Happened To Our Nation For So Long. by lewa(m): 10:47pm On Feb 03, 2007
I don't believe you ! tongue.I for one think that you ought to know better, but rather not the case here dearie!That was a big gaffe and to me says all there's is to y.o.u. tongue
Re: "Ribadu" The Best Thing To Have Happened To Our Nation For So Long. by McKren(m): 10:49pm On Feb 03, 2007
@ BigB1

You actually did say the right thing but meant something else, Martin Luthar King fought for the liberation of black people, Ribadu is fighting the liberation of poor Nigerians. They are both leftist though privileged as regards family background but choose to fight for the interest of the people. So they are quite similar. grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

(1) (Reply)

I Am Not A Yoruba Man – Former Sokoto Gov / No Way For Acn In Kwara State – Saraki, Waziri Of Ilorin / How Efcc Chair Mrs Waziri, 12 Others Got Aig

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.