Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,452 members, 7,954,779 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 09:04 AM

Secession : My Take - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Secession : My Take (464 Views)

Why Are Igbos,Igbos Now Supporting Atiku Despite Clamour For Secession? / Why are Yorubas Against Igbo Secession? / Opinion: Concerning Biafra And The Igbo Agitation For Secession (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Secession : My Take by MrHyde: 4:45pm On Jun 09, 2017
I have always been a fan of logic over sentiments, as logic gives a definite outcome to the unknown.
Now the big question is, will there be a secession?
My response: Highly improbable
Why?
1. What are the states that make up Biafra? If you are adding the south south states, that won't work anymore as that is what the Igbos are fighting against in the first place, and it can be seen from recent trends that they are fighting against their inclusion in Biafra as they would be the new minority and the crude oil would be robbed from them, repeating history all over again. So the best bet is to have only the five eastern states make up Biafra. This leads to the next question;

Will the 5 eastern states that would make up Biafra survive on their own?
My response: Not likely
Why:
From the recent circulation of the 2016 Internally Generated Revenue we could see that the 5 eastern states are not self sustaining, in fact, they hugely rely on the oil derivation from the South South, except for Imo (which unfortunately does not produce crude oil in commercial quantity). Now these are hard facts and the supporting truth lies in the east, we don't have a lot of industries in the east (why, I will get to that very soon) what we have are majorly She's, now the reason we don't have alot of industries in the east is because of the hostility and insecurity. This is because unfortunately, the east does not encourage external investors (can you name a popular non eastern who has made his money from the east?) and the reason is simple, I have lived in the east so I know what I am saying, take a look at Aba, the commercial center of the east, Aba is way underutilized because Kidnappers, armed robbers chased industries away, Aba is now a huge warehouse. Only recently has the governor began to carry out developments in the state. The same tin applies to Owerri, except the security situation is owerri is not as bad but there are also no industries there, Owerri's major export is hospitality. Same thing applies to Onitsha, Onitsha was synonymous with robberies some years back but with good leadership, the place is getting better.
Now I remember having an intellectual argument with a brilliant friend of mine and he claimed, the reason he wants secession is because of the fulani herds men killing the Igbos and I remember telling him, that's something good leadership can handle not secession, I haven't heard of fulani herdsmen killing anybody in ekiti state, there are laws that states could manage issues like this.
My sincere advice to my Igbo brothers and sisters, is to develop the eastern states, (increase your IGRs, I remember when Lagos state had an issue with then President Olusegun Obasanjo, they massively improved their IGR and look at where they are today.)

Don't be a pawn in the hands of the political class.

Now ask yourselves this questions?
1. Did the late Ojukwu lose a Family member during the 1967 civil war?
2. Did Ojukwu have a Daughter with a Northern woman? https://www.dailytrust.com.ng/sunday/index.php/top-stories/11822-ojukwus-secret-daughter-traced-she-lives-in-kaduna
Please let's channel our aggression towards the development of the east.

IGR data Source: http://nigerianstat.gov.ng/report/551
Re: Secession : My Take by Rakitic4: 4:52pm On Jun 09, 2017
Nice one Op

1 Like

Re: Secession : My Take by dlondonbadboy: 5:07pm On Jun 09, 2017
That's your opinion.
Re: Secession : My Take by TheArchangel(f): 5:35pm On Jun 09, 2017
Why all this cries
Why is this Biafran secession a problem to people who are not even included in Biafran map?
Why isBiafran a source of massive obsessions from potential foreigners?
Why are there more non Biafrans crying and weeping from thread to thread than Biafrans?
This is really worrisome, honestly.
Re: Secession : My Take by MrHyde: 6:11pm On Jun 09, 2017
TheArchangel:
Why all this cries
Why is this Biafran secession a problem to people who are not even included in Biafran map?
Why isBiafran a source of massive obsessions from potential foreigners?
Why are there more non Biafrans crying and weeping from thread to thread than Biafrans?
This is really worrisome, honestly.

My dear, the only people who felt and are still feeling the impact of the Civil War are the Biafrans.

(1) (Reply)

Emir Sanusi Bares His Mind On Hausa, Igbo And Yoruba… The Problem Of Nigeria / Rotimi Amaechi Celebrates 52nd Birthday With A Lion Cake (photos) / 300 Workers Quit Kano Internal Revenue Services’ Job Over N35, 000 Salary

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.