Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,804 members, 7,810,094 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 08:36 PM

What Does It Mean To Take The Lord's Name In Vain? - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / What Does It Mean To Take The Lord's Name In Vain? (10963 Views)

What Does It Mean To Work Out Your Salvation With Fear & Trembling In The Bible? / The Lord's Chosen Storm Gambia, Many Muslims Converted (Photos) / What Does It Mean To Believe On The Lord Jesus Christ? - Olamide Obire (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Does It Mean To Take The Lord's Name In Vain? by brojoshua: 2:23pm On Jun 18, 2017
It means something like when you are calling God, my Father, my Father, but you don't have (true) faith in Him or when your faith in Him is not genuine but you do it in pretense, may be because of the benefits you want to get.
Jesus Christ said to
Re: What Does It Mean To Take The Lord's Name In Vain? by g4gerald: 2:26pm On Jun 18, 2017
Daviddson:
there are many ways people use the name of The Lord in vain, even committed Christians, without knowing. Some of the most common nowadays are: 'there's God o', 'God's watching you' (jocularly), 'blood of God' etc. Haba...
For common sense sake, try replacing your farhers name in the stead of God and see how disrespectful you'll feel (towards your father).But, here we are talking about God! Unfortunately, many Christians are ignorant of the grievous sins they're committing when they say this.
Is God a Name?
Re: What Does It Mean To Take The Lord's Name In Vain? by ezugegere(m): 2:43pm On Jun 18, 2017
In my own understanding, "God" is not the name of God. His name is YAHWEH, The LORD or I AM! These names, you must not use carelessly.
Re: What Does It Mean To Take The Lord's Name In Vain? by Nobody: 3:20pm On Jun 18, 2017
engineerboat:
TAKING THE NAME OF GOD IN VAIN: What does it means

Exodus 20:7 – “Thou shalt not take the name of the Lord thy God in vain; for the Lord will not hold him guiltless that taketh his name in vain." (KJV)

I. What’s in a name?

So what’s in a name? Why is God’s name so important that God includes this commandment as part of the Ten Commandments? We must understand that a name is more than just a label. A name signifies one’s character, reputation and authority.

First of all, a name signifies one’s character. [/b]When we think of God’s character we think of how God has revealed himself to us: through his word, through his titles in Scripture, through his attributes, his law, his works and his deeds. All of this is wrapped up in Gods’ name. In John 17 Jesus prayed to the Father about his disciples. He said, [b]“I have manifested thy name unto the men which thou gavest me out of the world: thine they were, and thou gavest them me; and they have kept thy word; And I have declared unto them thy name, and will declare it” (John 17:6,26) In both of those verses what Jesus literally says is this: “I have revealed your name to them. I have made known your name.” God’s name signifies God’s character.

[b]

The NAME of a thing, is the idea of the thing, without which, the thing does not exist. The Knowledge of the idea of the thing, gives the Knower power over the thing.

God is the Knower of all things, and he has given us his Name.

We should never take his Name in vain.

Selah.
Re: What Does It Mean To Take The Lord's Name In Vain? by Austinoiz(m): 6:36pm On Jun 18, 2017
Op, like in moaning divine names when lashing grin angry smiley tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue
Re: What Does It Mean To Take The Lord's Name In Vain? by Naturalized(m): 7:03pm On Jun 18, 2017
Built2last:
Comedians using God's name to crack jokes.

God's name is so sacred in Judaism that a Jew will kot call Yahweh without a serious reason.

This generation trivialises and abuse grace

I see this alot. I consider myself agnostic but look on IG and some of the most followed Skit-comedians are guys that do the vain-calling thing. What surprises though is the number of christian followers they get who see absolutely nothing wrong in it. Truly baffling.
Re: What Does It Mean To Take The Lord's Name In Vain? by OLAADEGBU(m): 12:51am On Jun 22, 2017
Amberon11:

It means to call the name of God purposelessly. Just like most people use "Jesus" as an exclamation.

Correct.
Re: What Does It Mean To Take The Lord's Name In Vain? by OLAADEGBU(m): 12:53am On Jun 22, 2017
chessguru:

Iye me

At least you could not mention your mother's name. smiley
Re: What Does It Mean To Take The Lord's Name In Vain? by OLAADEGBU(m): 12:55am On Jun 22, 2017
Kylekent59:

When u both are fornicating and keeps saying oh my God. Or when you use God name to lie or insulting his mighty name

Some have circumvented it by saying O my Gosh.
Re: What Does It Mean To Take The Lord's Name In Vain? by OLAADEGBU(m): 12:56am On Jun 22, 2017
VIPERVENOM:

Calling the Lord's name in vain is wen u see rat and u shout JESUS CHRIST

Agreed. cheesy
Re: What Does It Mean To Take The Lord's Name In Vain? by OLAADEGBU(m): 12:57am On Jun 22, 2017
lestat:

When typically nigerians go God this God that God that and that ...

Why not say my heavenly father or the Lord ?

You don't go around calling your earthly father yinka, or Uche or Adamu...

You say sir so talkless of your creator , the eternal Lord , the I am that IAM , the omipotent omnipresent and everlasting Lord

Think

Good point.

1 Like

Re: What Does It Mean To Take The Lord's Name In Vain? by OLAADEGBU(m): 1:02am On Jun 22, 2017
jujunaty:

Please the Bible didnt say CALL the Lords name in vain, the Bible said TAKE te Lords name in vain. Taking Gods name in this case is you arent supposed to answer or take the names God had put for Himself Alone. Eg: Holy, Reverend, Lord, etc.

Are you saying those who use the title reverend before their names are blaspheming? undecided
Re: What Does It Mean To Take The Lord's Name In Vain? by OLAADEGBU(m): 6:48pm On Jun 23, 2017
OLAADEGBU:

What does it mean to take the Lord's name in vain? Does taking the Lord's name in vain mean more than just using it as a cuss word?

The Bible has the answers:

https://www.gotquestions.org/Lords-name-vain.html
Re: What Does It Mean To Take The Lord's Name In Vain? by jujunaty(m): 8:39pm On Jun 23, 2017
OLAADEGBU:

Are you saying those who use the title reverend before their names are blaspheming? undecided
yes sir
Re: What Does It Mean To Take The Lord's Name In Vain? by ArcToyin(m): 1:35pm On Jul 13, 2017
Jamiubond009:
The idea that the truth of God or our existence can be bound in any human system by any human creed, by any human book is almost beyond imagination.God is not a Christian, a Hindu or a Muslim. All these are human systems which human beings have created to try to help us walk in the mystery of our existence.
Religion has always been in the control business and that's something people don't really understand.It is in the guilt producing,control business.If you have heaven as a place where you're rewarded for your goodness and hell as a place you're punished for your evil, then you sort of have control over the population. They create this fiery place that quite literally, has scared the hell out of a lot of people.It's all part of the control tactic and an invention of the church. The church doesn't like for people to grow up, because it can't control grown ups. That's why we talk about being born again. When you're born again, you're still a child. People don't need to be born again, they need to grow up and accept responsibilities for themselves and the world. This stuff about obeying some commandments handed out by God to Moses on a mountain when no-one was around is just a tactic by the church to get people to straighten out, to get them all in line because they were basically stupid and lacked the intelligence to question anything . why ten commandments? Why not eleven or twelve or even nine? The reason is ten sounds official and sounds believable too . it's a psychologically satisfying number and people back then were too dumb to think for themselves.
Re: What Does It Mean To Take The Lord's Name In Vain? by ArcToyin(m): 1:47pm On Jul 13, 2017
I think the name we are not to misuse is His real name. Ex 3:6
Re: What Does It Mean To Take The Lord's Name In Vain? by Kobojunkie: 1:59am On Apr 24
Daviddson:
There are many ways people use the name of The Lord in vain, even committed Christians, without knowing. Some of the most common nowadays are: 'there's God o', 'God's watching you o' (jocularly), 'blood of God' etc. Haba...
For common sense sake, try replacing your father's name in the stead of God and see how disrespectful you'll feel towards your father. But, here we are talking about God! Unfortunately, many Christians are ignorant of the grievous sins they're committing when they do this.
I am afraid those are merely religious ideas your religious gods of men put in your heads to deceive you and your kind with. Using the name of God in vain pertains to using the mention of God in endorsing or justifying ideas that have absolutely nothing to do with that which is contained in God's very own Law. undecided

A good example of this is using the many mentions of the name of Jesus Christ in your many religious rituals and public prayers which are not condoned by the teachings and commandments of Jesus Christ. Asserting that your religious rituals which according to Scripture violate Jesus Christ are somehow sanctioned by the same Jesus Christ amounts to using the name of God in vain or better still promoting lies using the name of God. That is a sin against God. undecided
Re: What Does It Mean To Take The Lord's Name In Vain? by Kobojunkie: 4:22am On Apr 24
curvilicious:
This makes it very obvious the majority of chistains are using the name of the Lord in vain
May God help us all
Father, have mercy on me
The entire religion of Christianity is founded on just that, the using of the name of God in vain.. undecided

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Catholic Bishops Express Delight At The First Chapel In Enugu Govt House / Should Christian Couples Confess Adultery To Their Partners? / Why Are Most Theists More Hostile Towards Atheists Than Competing Religions?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.