Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,838 members, 7,820,922 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 03:16 AM

Common Errors In English. - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Common Errors In English. (347 Views)

21 Most Commonly Confused Words In English Language. / Top Grammatical Errors You Make Without Knowing / Some Common Errors In English. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Common Errors In English. by phoenixthefirst(m): 3:13pm On Jun 10, 2017
Uncountable nouns don't take the articles "a" and "an": Information, and advice are uncountable nouns that don't take articles "a" and "an". Correct examples: (1) I have information for you. (2) I have a piece of information for you. Wrong examples: (1) I have an information for you. (2) I have informations for you.

The letter or word - I - should always be a capital letter wherever it appears. Examples: (1) I am choleric. (2) She thinks I am choleric.

Singular nouns take singular verbs, just as a plural noun attracts a plural verb: The problem in identifying whether a noun or a verb is plural or not is whether or not "s" or "es" should be added to the noun or verb. To make a noun plural, add "s", "ies", or "e". Examples: singular nouns: animal, man, irregularity. Their plural forms: animals, men, irregularities. While plural nouns take "s", "ies", or "e", plural verbs do not. Plural nouns and plural verbs in sentences: The men(plural noun) hate(plural verb) her. The irregularities(plural noun) do(plural verb) not say much... The animals(plural noun) do(plural verb) rest a lot. To make a noun singular, do not add any letter like "s", "ies", or "e". Singular nouns: boy, irregularity, man. To make a verb singular, add "s," "ies", or "es". Singular verbs: takes, does. Singular nouns and singular verbs in sentences: (1) The boy(singular noun) sings(singular verb) well. (2) The irregularity(singular noun) exemplifies(singular verb) the chaos. (3) The situation(singular noun) does(singular verb) not scare me.

Pronoun/antecedent agreement which states that a pronoun must refer to only one antecedent clearly in gender and number: a pronoun is a word used instead of a noun while an antecedent is the word that a pronoun refers to or replaces. Pronoun example: Tola is a good girl. She is very kind. "She" is a pronoun for replacing "Tola". The antecedent of the pronoun "she" is also "Tola" as this is what the pronoun replaces. In this example, the pronoun "she" replaces the noun/antecedent "Tola" properly in terms of gender as Tola is a girl and "she" is a female pronoun. The pronoun "she" also refers properly to the noun/antecedent "Tola" in terms of number as "Tola" is one person(singular) and "she" is also singular. Another example: The diatribes(plural) are unprecedented as they(plural) are considered the first. It is wrong to say "the diatribes(plural) are unprecedented as it(singular) is considered the first.

A bit of idioms: Considered as or to be is wrong. So, it is wrong to say "women are considered as better homekeepers". You should say "women are considered better homekeepers". It is wrong to say regarded to be. So, only say "women are regarded as better homekeepers".

A word that begins with a vowel sound must attract the "an" article. For example: I have an egg. A word beginning with a consonant sound must attract the "a" article. Example: The room is a hell.

After using the "a" article, do not use a plural noun. Do not say "I have a beautiful sisters". You should say "I have a beautiful sister" or "I have beautiful sisters".

(1) (Reply)

Latest Cisco 300-365 Practice Exam Questions | Pass 300-365 Test Easily / Benefits Of Praying Together As A Family / Nigeria Police Academy Entrance Examination Holds Saturday

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.