Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,814 members, 7,817,360 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 10:56 AM

Rashidi Yekini - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Rashidi Yekini (1497 Views)

Weeds Overtake Rashidi Yekini’s House (Photos) / Rashidi Yekini: Forgotten In Nigeria, Remembered In Portugal (PHOTO) / Rashidi Yekini Is Dead? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Rashidi Yekini by illusion2: 4:14pm On Jan 21, 2010
Was just reminiscing some minutes ago . . . . . . .gone are those days when one was guaranteed at least one goal from the gangling striker !!!

Which was his most memorable goal for you?

Mine was a goal at the Stadium ,Lagos against Algeria from somewhere around the corner kick spot !  shocked shocked shocked

Rashidi Yekini !!!  cheesy

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rashidi_Yekini
Re: Rashidi Yekini by Katsumoto: 9:09pm On Jan 23, 2010
My most memorable moment from Yekini was at Tunisia 94. Okocha was introduced into the game in the final third of the game. The first thing he did was to pick Yekini with a 50 yard pass to the chest. Yekini, with his back to goal, collected the pass on his chest, turned juggled the ball on his knee and volleyed against the cross-bar from about 35 yards. Yekini and the Egyptian goal-keeper had a bet before the tournament. The Egyptian said that Yekini would not score against him. Even though the ball did not cross the line, the Egyptian still paid Yekini on the basis that he was truly beaten.

When will Nigeria have another striker who would drive fear into African opposition? As good as Etoo and Drogba are today, they do not strike fear into African teams.
Re: Rashidi Yekini by illusion2: 10:05pm On Jan 23, 2010
Na only God go help us. . .
Re: Rashidi Yekini by Akolawole(m): 12:18am On Jan 24, 2010
Katsumoto:

Yekini and the Egyptian goal-keeper had a bet before the tournament. The Egyptian said that Yekini would not score against him. Even though the ball did not cross the line, the Egyptian still paid Yekini on the basis that he was truly beaten.

Re: Rashidi Yekini by Katsumoto: 12:51am On Jan 24, 2010
Akolawole:

Did you not watch the match between Nigeria and Egypt at Tunisia 94? What do you not understand about my post?
Re: Rashidi Yekini by abadaba(m): 12:45pm On Jan 24, 2010
Rashidi's goal against Ivory coast in 1990 cup of nations in Algeria. What a lonely effort!.
Re: Rashidi Yekini by abadaba(m): 12:47pm On Jan 24, 2010
Yekini's goal against Cameroun in Senegal 1992. I t was a third place match between Nig and Cam.
Re: Rashidi Yekini by abadaba(m): 12:49pm On Jan 24, 2010
Nigeria's first world cup goal in 1994. Nigeria vs Bulgaria USA 1994.
Re: Rashidi Yekini by vikiviko(m): 1:55pm On Jan 24, 2010
The third place goal against Cameroun in Senegal 1992 was a wonder goal.
Re: Rashidi Yekini by Akolawole(m): 12:07am On Jan 25, 2010
Katsumoto:

Did you not watch the match between Nigeria and Egypt at Tunisia 94? What do you not understand about my post?

Sorry sir!

I dont understand that betting aspect sir!

@Dr Kit

Did you remember how we failed to qualify for Mexico '86?

Can you remind me what happen in the return leg in North africa?
Re: Rashidi Yekini by illusion2: 9:25am On Jan 25, 2010
Funny enough,many people always criticised him dat he had no skill tongue
Re: Rashidi Yekini by Katsumoto: 10:32am On Jan 25, 2010
illusion2:

Funny enough,many people always criticised him dat he had no skill tongue

That was true but Yekini was like wine; he got better with age. He was very tall, gangling and awkward in his youth but he put on more weight later on and was solid.

Do you remember his first goal against Zaire in the quarter finals of Tunisia 94. Oliseh dispossessed an opponent in the centre circle and lobbed the ball to Yekini; Yekini collected the ball, flicking it with his ankle (1st touch) before dispatching the ball into the top corner of the net with his second touch. Pure ecstasy
Re: Rashidi Yekini by Nobody: 5:37pm On Jan 25, 2010
The one question i thought poster was going to ask was "where in the world is Rashidi Yekini?"
What has become of him.
Re: Rashidi Yekini by illusion2: 7:53pm On Jan 25, 2010
Katsumoto:

That was true but Yekini was like wine; he got better with age. He was very tall, gangling and awkward in his youth but he put on more weight later on and was solid.

Do you remember his first goal against Zaire in the quarter finals of Tunisia 94. Oliseh dispossessed an opponent in the centre circle and lobbed the ball to Yekini; Yekini collected the ball, flicking it with his ankle (1st touch) before dispatching the ball into the top corner of the net with his second touch. Pure ecstasy
I remember that game very well. . . his second goal was a penalty. . . he hit it straight & hard to the top corner. . . that guy was just too good on his day !

(1) (Reply)

How Do Ones Identify An Original Football jersey. / The World's 50 Most Valuable Sports Teams 2014. / "My Azz Is To Big"; Serena Williams Reveal Why She Won't Take Part In Mararthon

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.