Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,629 members, 7,813,085 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 06:42 AM

Why Secession Does Not Make Sense - An Igbo's Perspective - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Secession Does Not Make Sense - An Igbo's Perspective (387 Views)

Reasons Why Secession Is A Suicide Mission For Biafra / An Igbo Perspective On RUGA Aka Fulani Cattle Colonies / Reason Atiku/obi Will Lose: From Enugu-igbo Perspective (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Why Secession Does Not Make Sense - An Igbo's Perspective by JohnW2017: 4:47pm On Jun 11, 2017
As an Igbo and peace loving individual, I strongly believe that Nigeria should stay united as One Nation.

I live in the West so perhaps I have a biased view.

It is evident to me that all Igbo's are being painted with the same brush as being in support of an independent nation but I would like to state my opposition to that.

In fact, I strongly believe that the reaction from the North is as a result of the sit-in which took place in the East apparently showing solidarity with the secessionists. But I would argue that compliance was not voluntary and that people were afraid to come out.

So, my fellow Nigerians, let us stay together and make Nigeria better together because oil on its own does not make a society better. It is the people who make things better.

I would argue that we are not ready to go our separate ways because we are not at the level of cohesion, success and awareness that is needed first as a Nation. Furthermore, people should not say things they do not mean because they don't know who will take them seriously and act on their words.

It may involve some compromise by different groups but ultimately we need to find a peaceful solution and stop the ethnic and tribal outlook.

2 Likes

Re: Why Secession Does Not Make Sense - An Igbo's Perspective by kingzizzy: 5:21pm On Jun 11, 2017
JohnW2017:
As an Igbo and peace loving individual, I strongly believe that Nigeria should stay united as One Nation.

I live in the West so perhaps I have a biased view.

It is evident to me that all Igbo's are being painted with the same brush as being in support of an independent nation but I would like to state my opposition to that.

In fact, I strongly believe that the reaction from the North is as a result of the sit-in which took place in the East apparently showing solidarity with the secessionists. But I would argue that compliance was not voluntary and that people were afraid to come out.

So, my fellow Nigerians, let us stay together and make Nigeria better together because oil on its own does not make a society better. It is the people who make things better.

I would argue that we are not ready to go our separate ways because we are not at the level of cohesion, success and awareness that is needed first as a Nation. Furthermore, people should not say things they do not mean because they don't know who will take them seriously and act on their words.

It may involve some compromise by different groups but ultimately we need to find a peaceful solution and stop the ethnic and tribal outlook.

Let me tell you this story. Britain created Nigeria. If it was not for Britain, you would not be a Nigerian today, but you would have been Igbo. So how can you place the identitiy the white man brought, above the identity handed down to you by your forefathers? Even if you want to do this, it should the identity you choose for your self, not the one Lugard chose for you.

It may also interest you to know that Britain that created Nigeria granted one of its constituent parts, Northern Ireland, a referendum in 1973. The same Britain granted another of its constituent parts, Scotland, referendum in 2014. If the people who created your country can be open to breaking up, then who are you not be open as well.

You have every right not to agree with Biafra, but you must support people right to self determination

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Nigeria On The Path Of Another Civil War / BREAKING: Osinbajo Signs 2017 Budget / Progressives And Violence: Comparing The DNC And The APC

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.