Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,512 members, 7,826,941 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 11:55 PM

ICAN May 2017 Results (let's Meet Here) - Career (32) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / ICAN May 2017 Results (let's Meet Here) (135355 Views)

ICAN November 2018 Results (let's Meet Here) / May 2017 Salary / ICAN May 2023 Diet Exam - Let's Meet Here (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (29) (30) (31) (32) (33) (34) (35) ... (64) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: ICAN May 2017 Results (let's Meet Here) by AbbyE: 10:28pm On Jul 12, 2017
optimusmind:
Chartered accountants to be,

What is the difference between impairment, depreciation, and amortisation?

And when a financial asset is categorized as Available for sale financial asset(AFS asset) , how is profit from revalution treated when the asset is disposed?

15 marks

Err let me try

Depreciation simply put is a cost recovery model (tangible assets)

Impairment is the reduction in the recovery amount of an asset as against its book value

Amortisation is also a cost recovery model i.e allocating the cost of an asset over its useful life (intangible asset )

Changes in the value of AFS are initially recognised through equity then on derecognition , the profit is recognised through Profit and Loss

1 Like

Re: ICAN May 2017 Results (let's Meet Here) by sopulurespect: 10:30pm On Jul 12, 2017
optimusmind:
Chartered accountants to be,

What is the difference between impairment, depreciation, and amortisation?

And when a financial asset is categorized as Available for sale financial asset(AFS asset) , how is profit from revalution treated when the asset is disposed?

15 marks

When there is revaluation gain on AFS asset, OCI is Cr while AFS asset is DR and when the asset is disposed, OCI is DR while P/L is CR with the gain previously recognized, the AFS asset is CR while Cash is DR

2 Likes

Re: ICAN May 2017 Results (let's Meet Here) by miscoe(m): 11:24pm On Jul 12, 2017
optimusmind:

My hands are up

Answer the second one on AFS financial asset
sopulurespect:

When there is revaluation gain on AFS asset, OCI is Cr while AFS asset is DR and when the asset is disposed, OCI is DR while P/L is CR with the gain previously recognized, the AFS asset is CR while Cash is DR
AbbyE:

Err let me try

Depreciation simply put is a cost recovery model (tangible assets)

Impairment is the reduction in the recovery amount of an asset as against its book value

Amortisation is also a cost recovery model i.e allocating the cost of an asset over its useful life (intangible asset )

Changes in the value of AFS are initially recognised through equity then on derecognition , the profit is recognised through Profit and Loss

lols....make them come down
kudos to the scholarly presentations above! Simply, accumulating "gains" on AFS until they are subsequently disposed of by a CR to the PorL;and de-recognizing such AFS by CR to the AFS account...

1 Like

Re: ICAN May 2017 Results (let's Meet Here) by mandonnels(m): 6:10am On Jul 13, 2017
by his Grace, we will all smile today.

1 Like

Re: ICAN May 2017 Results (let's Meet Here) by Nobody: 6:14am On Jul 13, 2017
sopulurespect:

Correct.

12/15
Re: ICAN May 2017 Results (let's Meet Here) by Nobody: 6:15am On Jul 13, 2017
miscoe:

lols....make them come down
kudos to the scholarly presentations above! Simply, accumulating "gains" on AFS until they are subsequently disposed of by a CR to the PorL;and de-recognizing such AFS by CR to the AFS account...

There are two Methods.
Either through OCI
Or
Through P/L.
Re: ICAN May 2017 Results (let's Meet Here) by Nobody: 6:38am On Jul 13, 2017
ofirima:
YES RESULT WILL BE OUT 2MOROW
I'm really hopeful about today
Re: ICAN May 2017 Results (let's Meet Here) by centK(m): 6:50am On Jul 13, 2017
There is only one way we know if result is coming out today, that is if only council members sit today. So lets pray they sit or the wait continues

1 Like

Re: ICAN May 2017 Results (let's Meet Here) by centK(m): 6:52am On Jul 13, 2017
Someone pls help us confirm if council members are meeting today? Goodmorning ican world

1 Like

Re: ICAN May 2017 Results (let's Meet Here) by Nobody: 6:54am On Jul 13, 2017
centK:
Someone pls help us confirm if council members are meeting today? Goodmorning ican world

Good morning,

Gbolahanrasaq..
Kindly help confirm

1 Like

Re: ICAN May 2017 Results (let's Meet Here) by kaboninc(m): 7:00am On Jul 13, 2017
Deprecation is the actual reduction of the value of an asset over time. While a way of measuring depreciation is by allocating cost of the asset over a period of time.

Simple. Na only depreciation I sabi for now. Lol

1 Like

Re: ICAN May 2017 Results (let's Meet Here) by centK(m): 7:01am On Jul 13, 2017
It is well oh. Even ordinary waec updates candidates on date of releasing result. '' WAEC Reveals Date For Release Of 2017 May/June Results''. Lets be hopeful amyways. This weeks completes the 6-8weeks on their site
Re: ICAN May 2017 Results (let's Meet Here) by Nobody: 7:10am On Jul 13, 2017
kaboninc:
Deprecation is the actual reduction of the value of an asset over time. While a way of measuring depreciation is by allocating cost of the asset over a period of time.

Simple. Na only depreciation I sabi for now. Lol

According to IAS16, depreciation is no longer reduction in value, but an allocation of cost.
This is why,
After depreciating a building, for instance, for a period of 10 years, if that asset is valued it could even have a value higher than the original cost. So what would you make of that?
Therefore, impairment is the reduction in the value of an asset. And you measure impairment by carrying out an impairment test

4 Likes

Re: ICAN May 2017 Results (let's Meet Here) by gbolahanrasaq: 7:38am On Jul 13, 2017
Personally, I'm not expecting any result to be released today. If eventually it's released fine
Re: ICAN May 2017 Results (let's Meet Here) by gbolahanrasaq: 7:40am On Jul 13, 2017
So far, there has not been any reliable information regarding the release of results
Re: ICAN May 2017 Results (let's Meet Here) by gbolahanrasaq: 7:42am On Jul 13, 2017
Before you know it, another stories will start

1 Like

Re: ICAN May 2017 Results (let's Meet Here) by OlalekanEdun(m): 7:49am On Jul 13, 2017
gbolahanrasaq:
Before you know it, another stories will start

The result is not going to be extended than this week, so it should be out either today or tomorrow.. smiley
Re: ICAN May 2017 Results (let's Meet Here) by Nobody: 7:51am On Jul 13, 2017
OlalekanEdun:

The result is not going to be extended than this week, so it should be out either today or tomorrow.. smiley

What if something comes up, and it gets delayed till next week Thursday?
Re: ICAN May 2017 Results (let's Meet Here) by gbolahanrasaq: 7:54am On Jul 13, 2017
OlalekanEdun:

If it's ICAN anything can still happen. You would recall this was how the delay in Nov 2016 diet result began.
Re: ICAN May 2017 Results (let's Meet Here) by highb1(m): 7:58am On Jul 13, 2017
Good morning my fellow nairalandite.. As we are anxiously waiting for our results today! I wish everybody best of luck! We shal all av reasons to smile nd thank God. #Amin#

2 Likes

Re: ICAN May 2017 Results (let's Meet Here) by kaboninc(m): 8:00am On Jul 13, 2017
optimusmind:

According to IAS16, depreciation is no longer reduction in value, but an allocation of cost.
This is why,
After depreciating a building, for instance, for a period of 10 years, if that asset is valued it could even have a value higher than the original cost. So what would you make of that?
Therefore, impairment is the reduction in the value of an asset. And you measure impairment by carrying out an impairment test

For the sake of semantics, when something depreciates, it means it loses value. How do you measure the loss in value over time, you allocate a cost of that asset over a period for which it is expected to be in use or it's life span.

Now there's a difference between depreciation and impairment as per your example.

If I build a house, it is expected that the house deteriorates over time. So in my balance sheet, I have to reflect this deterioration by gradually reducing the asset each year until the life span of this building.

However, impairment is different as it test to see that the value of the asset as started in the balance sheet is worth the value as stated. In testing for impairment, we differentiate between the net asset carry value (cost of acquisition - accumulated depreciation) and the future undiscounted cash flows. Now impairment will only be carried out when there are certain changes in the business environment or internal. If there is a charge, it is write off. This is like wanting to be sure that your asset is even worth it. But depreciation must be carried out over the life span of the asset whether we like it or not.

As for the building, I'll carry out an impairment test to see that the value of the building as stated in my balance sheet reflects the current reality.

My 2 cents.

1 Like

Re: ICAN May 2017 Results (let's Meet Here) by OlalekanEdun(m): 8:00am On Jul 13, 2017
highb1:
Good morning my fellow nairalandite.. As we are anxiously waiting for our results today! I wish everybody best of luck! We shal all av reasons to smile nd thank God. #Amin#

Amen
Re: ICAN May 2017 Results (let's Meet Here) by kaboninc(m): 8:13am On Jul 13, 2017
Me I want to work in a consulting, advisory firm, an investment bank, or private equity firm. I will love to even intern....this is my passion.

So guys, remember me in your board meetings ohh
Re: ICAN May 2017 Results (let's Meet Here) by Nobody: 8:17am On Jul 13, 2017
kaboninc:

For the sake of semantics, when something depreciates, it means it loses value. How do you measure the loss in value over time, you allocate a cost of that asset over a period for which it is expected to be in use or it's life span.

Now there's a difference between depreciation and impairment as per your example.

If I build a house, it is expected that the house deteriorates over time. So in my balance sheet, I have to reflect this deterioration by gradually reducing the asset each year until the life span of this building.

However, impairment is different as it test to see that the value of the asset as started in the balance sheet is worth the value as stated. In testing for impairment, we differentiate between the net asset carry value (cost of acquisition - accumulated depreciation) and the future undiscounted cash flows. Now impairment will only be carried out when there are certain changes in the business environment or internal. If there is a charge, it is write off. This is like wanting to be sure that your asset is even worth it. But depreciation must be carried out over the life span of the asset whether we like it or not.

As for the building, I'll carry out an impairment test to see that the value of the building as stated in my balance sheet reflects the current reality.

My 2 cents.

I get all you said.
However, depreciation is not a loss in value, but simply and allocation of cost.
Read IAS16 on definition of depreciation.
Before now, what you said is correct but with the adoption of IAS16, it is now completely different. Depreciation is no longer a loss in value but an accounting measure used to allocate the depreciable amount.
an asset over the period of its useful life

Measurement after initial recognition is either
Cost model
Or
Revaluation model.
Under cost model, the carrying amount is cost less deprecation less impairment.
For revaluation model, The asset is carried at a revalued amount, being its fair value at the date of revaluation less subsequent depreciation and impairment, provided that fair value can be measured reliably.
When the asset is revalued, any actual loss in value would be recognized. N. B. On revaluation, you get revaluation loss or gain. Where as on carrying out impairment test the results is just impairment loss.

In summary, depreciation is no longer loss in value of assets, but an allocation of the depreciable amount, over the useful life of an asset, irrespective of whether the asset losses value or gains value.

2 Likes

Re: ICAN May 2017 Results (let's Meet Here) by Inexhaustible(m): 8:40am On Jul 13, 2017
Ghenghen... The day has come, wish everyone best of luck

1 Like

Re: ICAN May 2017 Results (let's Meet Here) by Nobody: 8:42am On Jul 13, 2017
Inexhaustible:
Ghenghen... The day has come, wish everyone best of luck
It's next week, it's not today again
Re: ICAN May 2017 Results (let's Meet Here) by BabatundeBMS: 8:49am On Jul 13, 2017
optimusmind:

If I hear nextweek again from anybody, hmm...I reserved my comment
Re: ICAN May 2017 Results (let's Meet Here) by Inexhaustible(m): 8:52am On Jul 13, 2017
Na una sabi, if ICAN like make dem keep am till August... Kin sa ti pass...
optimusmind:

1 Like

Re: ICAN May 2017 Results (let's Meet Here) by shrimati(m): 8:53am On Jul 13, 2017
Seems everyone is not capitalizing on ICAN not announcing the probable date that exams will be released to fix their own dates and we now feed on speculations.
Re: ICAN May 2017 Results (let's Meet Here) by gbolahanrasaq: 9:00am On Jul 13, 2017
ICAN itself gave room for the speculations. There is no communication whatsoever from them

1 Like

Re: ICAN May 2017 Results (let's Meet Here) by BabatundeBMS: 9:02am On Jul 13, 2017
gbolahanrasaq:
ICAN itself gave room for the speculations. There is no communication whatsoever from them

Gbolahan, Pls dont mind optimusmind:, Can u pls, help monitor progress today since u re close to ICAN office
Re: ICAN May 2017 Results (let's Meet Here) by Ugosample(m): 9:03am On Jul 13, 2017
optimusmind:
Are you serious?
grin grin grin

(1) (2) (3) ... (29) (30) (31) (32) (33) (34) (35) ... (64) (Reply)

Careers In Public Health / Highest Paying Jobs In Nigeria And How Much They Pay / Cisco STUDY GROUP (online)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.